30-35 high school coaches at practice.

Started by ballz2thewall, March 02, 2018, 10:23:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: ballz2thewall on March 02, 2018, 10:23:43 am
did cbb do anything like this?
No.  He alienated the HS coaches everywhere he went.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

007 License To Squeal

If not, he should have.   This is great news for the Razorback program..
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

sickboy

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 02, 2018, 11:05:35 am

Really? I don't think that's true or we would have never signed anyone. I do think Morris is fantastic at connecting with high school coaches and fostering relationships. Bodes well for our recruiting.

Hoggish1

Who's CBB?  Wake up and smell the coffee... LOL

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on March 02, 2018, 11:34:14 am
Really? I don't think that's true or we would have never signed anyone. I do think Morris is fantastic at connecting with high school coaches and fostering relationships. Bodes well for our recruiting.

I bet he alienated some in Texas with his dumb comments. The issue was WHY even say it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Hog_Father

I've been around several sec programs and I've not seen High School Coaches being catered too like this during spring practices. I've seen them in the stands but never on the field. I think it is brilliant. Like SB said above... "This bodes well for recruiting". It's the smartest approach I've ever seen... And possibly as effective as dirty programs paying players off. We shall see but I feel the dividends will pay off in this coming class.

ricepig

Well, obviously not all of them.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 02, 2018, 11:39:47 am
I bet he alienated some in Texas with his dumb comments. The issue was WHY even say it.

Petrino didn't make many friends in Texas, either. And I was a huge BP fan. Seems to me that CM is doing something right...at least for now lol.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on March 02, 2018, 11:17:57 am
If not, he should have.   This is great news for the Razorback program..

Very good news. Added bonus: Knowing the coaches is the best way to find underrated players that may get overlooked.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on March 02, 2018, 11:55:08 am
Petrino didn't make many friends in Texas, either. And I was a huge BP fan. Seems to me that CM is doing something right...at least for now lol.

As a college coach you need to know what to say to or in the presence of high school coaches. Especially if you don't know the ones you are talking with very well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawganatic

Right, because we all know the previous staff did ABSOLUTELY nothing right while they were here....

blueridger

Quote from: LZH on March 02, 2018, 11:55:08 am

"at least for now"  that is so stupid...the little endings that take a good comment and turn it into a drama queen jerk remark. 

clutch

Not true. I'm a high school coach and the previous staff was always pretty open with coaches. Not to the level of the new staff, but they were far from alienating.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 02, 2018, 11:37:46 am
he certainly isn "C" BB anymore.

more like Retired and chilling with the fam BB
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hawganatic on March 02, 2018, 12:48:56 pm
Right, because we all know the previous staff did ABSOLUTELY nothing right while they were here....

Pretty much.

31to6

Of course he did. Every team in the US allows HS coaches to attend practice. Now some may have more, or less, tight restrictions on how much they reveal but nobody is stupid enough to cut their own throats by not welcoming them. Heck, often it is the HS coach who drives the prospect up to the Hill.

What CCM is doing is beyond the usual. He is making it a featured element of just about every press conference. He is clearly saying "I want you to learn my system. I want to share everything I know with you. I hope I can help you win more games, develop your players better, etc. I care about you."

That should make a difference if the walk and the talk match.

hogsanity

It only bodes well for recruiting if there is SEC LEVEL TALENT to recruit.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2018, 01:29:09 pm
It only bodes well for recruiting WHEN there is SEC LEVEL TALENT to recruit.
Fixed.

It is far better to have a good reputation and relationship with Arkansas high school coaches when they have a player who is capable of contributing.  Makes it much less likely they go to Ohio State or LSU or Baylor.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Capt_Marvel

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 02, 2018, 11:37:46 am
The C now stands for 'Cashed-Out'

cityhog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 02, 2018, 11:45:25 am
I've been around several sec programs and I've not seen High School Coaches being catered too like this during spring practices. I've seen them in the stands but never on the field. I think it is brilliant. Like SB said above... "This bodes well for recruiting". It's the smartest approach I've ever seen... And possibly as effective as dirty programs paying players off. We shall see but I feel the dividends will pay off in this coming class.

I'd agree with this if Arkansas produced more D1 talent.

AFWarrior83

Coach Morris respects high school coaches, because he was a high school coach for most of his coaching career. He's building lasting relationships that will hopefully pay dividends on the back end.
Hogville member since 2005.

jgphillips3

There's no downside.  Let's say these coaches take parts of Morris' system to their schools.  Arkansas kids then start running those things.  They will be just that much more ready to participate when they get to the Hill.  Also, the coaches get to "buy in" to the program and are more likely to tip off the staff early in the process when they DO have a kid that might could play in the SEC.  Also, might start to attract regional coaches and the effect multiplies out.

LZH

Quote from: blueridger on March 02, 2018, 12:58:15 pm
"at least for now"  that is so stupid...the little endings that take a good comment and turn it into a drama queen jerk remark. 

If we go 8-16 the next two years, you don't think there will be some screaming?

Get real, sunshine.

Boarcephus

Be interesting to know if these high school coaches were all in-state or were there several from surrounding states.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

31to6

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 02, 2018, 04:37:56 pm
Be interesting to know if these high school coaches were all in-state or were there several from surrounding states.
Agree. If coaches from Texas (or anywhere in the footprint, really) are driving up that's big time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2018, 01:29:09 pm
It only bodes well for recruiting if there is SEC LEVEL TALENT to recruit.

But you never know when a coach might have some super talent to recruit even if they don't when they show up at practice. Keeping those relationships good can only help.

31to6

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 02, 2018, 07:40:56 pm
But you never know when a coach might have some super talent to recruit even if they don't when they show up at practice. Keeping those relationships good can only help.
Yup.

Right now there's an 8th grader somewhere who nobody knows about who is going to be the first SEC player out of his eventual high school in a generation. Some schools stamp out D1 players every year, but there are ton of players every year who the coach says is the "best kid I've ever coached" from some obscure HS.

And, just because a guy is a coach at a low talent school today doesn't mean he won't win some games and suddenly be the coach at a big time HS. If you helped him get there he *will* remember when your staff starts showing up to scout players.

Nashville Fan

Doesn't feel like he is doing it for the diamond in the rough recruits. He's doing this so that when the HS coach that gets a 4 star. the hs school coach will be more likely to speak up for the U of A when the decision by the recruit's circle of influence is discussed.
Pittman or Bust!

liljo

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 02, 2018, 03:39:16 pm
There's no downside.  Let's say these coaches take parts of Morris' system to their schools.  Arkansas kids then start running those things.  They will be just that much more ready to participate when they get to the Hill.  Also, the coaches get to "buy in" to the program and are more likely to tip off the staff early in the process when they DO have a kid that might could play in the SEC.  Also, might start to attract regional coaches and the effect multiplies out.

Exactly.

Coach Morris definitely wants to attract regional high school coaches to his system. And he wants to educate them in it to the point where they can do exactly what you describe in your post. It will enhance the development of players and hopefully accelerate their ability to contribute as Razorbacks.

There simply is no downside to this.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

redhogchilipepper

Just how do they know their really high school coaches? It would be a blast to be on the field during practice. Why don't one of you that live up there give it a shot and report back.

The NewEra

Quote from: 31to6 on March 02, 2018, 01:25:52 pm
Of course he did. Every team in the US allows HS coaches to attend practice. Now some may have more, or less, tight restrictions on how much they reveal but nobody is stupid enough to cut their own throats by not welcoming them. Heck, often it is the HS coach who drives the prospect up to the Hill.

What CCM is doing is beyond the usual. He is making it a featured element of just about every press conference. He is clearly saying "I want you to learn my system. I want to share everything I know with you. I hope I can help you win more games, develop your players better, etc. I care about you."

That should make a difference if the walk and the talk match.

Let me add something to this.

"If I can make the leap from HS Coach to P5 Conference Head Coach, then others can too.  If that's what you want to do then I'll be happy to help you in any way I can."

ricepig

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on March 03, 2018, 07:38:08 am
Just how do they know their really high school coaches? It would be a blast to be on the field during practice. Why don't one of you that live up there give it a shot and report back.

They have to call and register ahead of time, you don't buy a whistle and Fay t-shirt and walk in.....

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: cityhog on March 02, 2018, 02:56:36 pm
I'd agree with this if Arkansas produced more D1 talent.

Why are you limiting this to Arkansas? High School Coaches from Memphis, Tulsa, KC and all parts of Texas will visit over time. When Morris was trying to up his game when he was a high school coach in Texas, he travelled to meet Malzahn to go over his offense.

You are greatly underestimating the reach an effectiveness of CCM's strategy... Also, don't you think this will inspire Coach's in Arkansas to up their game and eventually help High School football in Arkansas? And one more thing... There is a lot of talent walking the hallways of central and southern high schools in Arkansas that never try out for football. Maybe some of that will change with this more open approach taken by CCM. IMO it can't hurt...

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 02, 2018, 03:39:16 pm

Exactly! Very well said... I can't see the downside to this strategy. +1

ricepig

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 03, 2018, 10:52:26 am
Why are you limiting this to Arkansas? High School Coaches from Memphis, Tulsa, KC and all parts of Texas will visit over time. When Morris was trying to up his game when he was a high school coach in Texas, he travelled to meet Malzahn to go over his offense.

You are greatly underestimating the reach an effectiveness of CCM's strategy... Also, don't you think this will inspire Coach's in Arkansas to up their game and eventually help High School football in Arkansas? And one more thing... There is a lot of talent walking the hallways of central and southern high schools in Arkansas that never try out for football. Maybe some of that will change with this more open approach taken by CCM. IMO it can't hurt...

Is it talent walking the hallways, or guys that look the part? I remember having discussions with my oldest about certain kids, he'd be like, "Dad, XYZ doesn't know his left from right", or "He can't run and chew gum". If course, there was always one of these, "in the 6th grade league he was a beast, now he just sells drugs"......

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2018, 08:31:18 am
They have to call and register ahead of time, you don't buy a whistle and Fay t-shirt and walk in.....

You do recognize that was a joke right...

ricepig

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2018, 11:22:13 am
Is it talent walking the hallways, or guys that look the part? I remember having discussions  with my oldest about certain kids, he'd be like, "Dad, XYZ doesn't know his left from right", or "He can't run and chew gum". If course, there was always one of these, "in the 6th grade league he was a beast, now he just sells drugs"......

Well RP, it's all about getting them involved and seeing what they are capable of isn't it? That was my point... Giving them the opportunity to see what they are capable of accomplishing.

As too the rest of your comments... that's an "interesting" imagination that you've got.

ricepig

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 03, 2018, 11:41:15 am
Well RP, it's all about getting them involved and seeing what they are capable of isn't it? That was my point... Giving them the opportunity to see what they are capable of accomplishing.

As too the rest of your comments... that's an "interesting" imagination that you've got.

The kids walking the hall for the biggest part have played Jr high ball and didn't like football for some reason, as to your other comment, are you calling me a liar? I really don't know why you would.  If so, Alma Sonic in 3 1/2 hours!

Al Boarland

Quote from: hawganatic on March 02, 2018, 12:48:56 pm

Old coach did nothing right and new coach does everything right. We are in the honeymoon period of the cycle.

Pig in the Pokey

are you serious clarke? only food venders were allowed by FATTY.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2018, 11:48:52 am
The kids walking the hall for the biggest part have played Jr high ball and didn't like football for some reason, as to your other comment, are you calling me a liar? I really don't know why you would.  If so, Alma Sonic in 3 1/2 hours!

RP, you're hilarious, even when you don't mean to be... That's a long trip from Chicago and even further from Los Angeles.  ;)

The trend the past few years has been for the kids with skills and athletic abilities to go into basketball. Maybe CCM will spark something positive in Arkansas High School Football and help get talent to the hill. Maybe it won't... Lets see what happens.

ricepig

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 03, 2018, 12:07:04 pm
RP, you're hilarious, even when you don't mean to be... That's a long trip from Chicago and even further from Los Angeles.  ;)

The trend the past few years has been for the kids with skills and athletic abilities to go into basketball. Maybe CCM will spark something positive in Arkansas High School Football and help get talent to the hill. Maybe it won't... Lets see what happens.

The only thing that will spark some interest in central Arkansas football is money, as far as the public schools are concerned. They lack facilities, as far as the LRSD, most of the other area schools(PCCSD, Conway, Bryant/Benton) have  good facilities. It doesn't take much to fund youth basketball, so the kids all start off playing it.

Winning helps, but I don't think the 21-5 years put any more in the programs in LRSD. What people don't take in to account, is that Central is the only 7A school, all of the others continue to lose students.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2018, 11:22:13 am
Is it talent walking the hallways, or guys that look the part? I remember having discussions with my oldest about certain kids, he'd be like, "Dad, XYZ doesn't know his left from right", or "He can't run and chew gum". If course, there was always one of these, "in the 6th grade league he was a beast, now he just sells drugs"......
Gafford was playing drums for the band in ninth grade. Of course there is talent out there not playing.
Pittman or Bust!

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 03, 2018, 12:42:16 pm
Gafford was playing drums for the band in ninth grade. Of course there is talent out there not playing.

Now hold on, didn't you hear? RP's kid is a talent scout. May need to hook him up with Bears or My Boy in Miami. Can't have that kind of "talent" for scouting sitting in the sidelines now can we? ;)

ricepig

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 03, 2018, 12:49:03 pm
Now hold on, didn't you hear? RP's kid is a talent scout. May need to hook him up with Bears or My Boy in Miami. Can't have that kind of "talent" for scouting sitting in the sidelines now can we? ;)
I think that kids that play know alot more about the talent walking the halls than a cameraman.....

ricepig

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 03, 2018, 12:42:16 pm

And the vast majority of them don't wish to put out the effort to play, talent is only part of the equation.

ricepig