Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3/1 Practice report

Started by ricepig, March 01, 2018, 06:15:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

presidenthog

Wide receivers: 1. Jared Cornelius 2. Jonathan Nance 3. Brandon Martin 4. LaMichael Pettway 5. Deon Stewart

Should have been the pecking order last year, but our staff had a hard on for DS and pettway

Hogs run wild

Somebody remind me of why k rich might get an extra year. Thought he was done. Would be great if he could play this year.

Nm...found the thread talking about it.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 01, 2018, 06:32:40 pm
Somebody remind me of why k rich might get an extra year. Thought he was done. Would be great if he could play this year.

Nm...found the thread talking about it.

He didn't play at all during his Junior year due to injury so he has applied for an extra year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bennyl08

It mentioned a roster, but there's no publicly available roster out yet.

If anybody here was given a spring roster, if you could upload that to here, that'd be awesome.

For example it talks about how slimmed down Whaley is weight wise. The article lists him as a single pound lighter.

Cornelius is mentioned as 5 pounds lighter which is significant.

Agim down 6 pounds which the article rounds up to 10...

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised Kraus didn't transfer earlier. He hasn't actually transferred, and it's fully possible he just graduated and left it at that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on March 01, 2018, 06:46:22 pm
He didn't play at all during his Junior year due to injury so he has applied for an extra year.

Wrong, he tore his labrum in the first game against La Tech.

bennyl08

Edwards to LB is a surprise. His HS tape looked really good at S. However, we are absolutely loaded there and he's already at 212 last year. So, either they are hoping to use him in a Nelson-esque hybrid role or they think he can remain as athletic going up another 10 pounds. Makes sense given the depth and his large size. If he's able to go to LB size without losing too much of his really good athleticism? Guy's just now going into a redshirt sophomore season. 3 years to learn the position and become good. Greenlaw is graduating and Harris could easily leave for the draft after this year.

The other position changes just make sense with the scheme change from 4-3 to 3-4. In the Chavis film room session, you do see DL players drop back into coverage, so having guys like Bell, Ramsey, and Richardson with experience as a LB could give Chavis plenty of flexibility to do that.

TJ Smith at DT is a bit of a surprise. However, with Guidry and Capps out for at least part of the spring, they need some bodies there. TJ is one of those guys like Fisher who truly is best suited for a 3-4 defense. He's big and explosive, but not quite explosive enough to be a real good 4-3 DE and not quite big enough to be able to be a DT. Fisher is more adaptable as 4-3 LB's can still blitz but he's an OLB all the way.

On the flip side, going back to the 4-3 will be great for players like Taylor who are pretty much purely edge rushers. He had the tools to be a 3-4 OLB but he wants to have his hand in the ground. Don't be surprised if he holds onto that starting DE spot across from Agim (who there was never really any doubt about him staying at DE) for a good while. Gerald will likely be his biggest competition but it may be several games into the season before DG gets acclimated enough to take over the starting spot.

TE starting list probably doesn't mean too much. They are all pretty much equal in seniority and all are 4* players. However, I'd be surprised if that was the rotation come spring game.

Of course, McClure is the big surprise of that report. First, that he is back at all. Second, that he's gone from WR to LB??? Last time he was on our roster though, he was listed at 6'2 219.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jdelo77

Quote from: presidenthog on March 01, 2018, 06:22:34 pm
Wide receivers: 1. Jared Cornelius 2. Jonathan Nance 3. Brandon Martin 4. LaMichael Pettway 5. Deon Stewart

Should have been the pecking order last year, but our staff had a hard on for DS and pettway

Where is Jordan jones ?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2018, 06:49:23 pm
Wrong, he tore his labrum in the first game against La Tech.

Wrong, he tore his peck in the first game against La Tech.

ChicoHog

Cornelius was hurt early, Martin was injured on and off the entire season and Pettway was inconsistent at best.  Nance was the most reliable guy we had. 

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2018, 07:08:21 pm
Edwards to LB is a surprise. His HS tape looked really good at S. However, we are absolutely loaded there and he's already at 212 last year. So, either they are hoping to use him in a Nelson-esque hybrid role or they think he can remain as athletic going up another 10 pounds. Makes sense given the depth and his large size. If he's able to go to LB size without losing too much of his really good athleticism? Guy's just now going into a redshirt sophomore season. 3 years to learn the position and become good. Greenlaw is graduating and Harris could easily leave for the draft after this year.

The other position changes just make sense with the scheme change from 4-3 to 3-4. In the Chavis film room session, you do see DL players drop back into coverage, so having guys like Bell, Ramsey, and Richardson with experience as a LB could give Chavis plenty of flexibility to do that.

TJ Smith at DT is a bit of a surprise. However, with Guidry and Capps out for at least part of the spring, they need some bodies there. TJ is one of those guys like Fisher who truly is best suited for a 3-4 defense. He's big and explosive, but not quite explosive enough to be a real good 4-3 DE and not quite big enough to be able to be a DT. Fisher is more adaptable as 4-3 LB's can still blitz but he's an OLB all the way.

On the flip side, going back to the 4-3 will be great for players like Taylor who are pretty much purely edge rushers. He had the tools to be a 3-4 OLB but he wants to have his hand in the ground. Don't be surprised if he holds onto that starting DE spot across from Agim (who there was never really any doubt about him staying at DE) for a good while. Gerald will likely be his biggest competition but it may be several games into the season before DG gets acclimated enough to take over the starting spot.

TE starting list probably doesn't mean too much. They are all pretty much equal in seniority and all are 4* players. However, I'd be surprised if that was the rotation come spring game.

Of course, McClure is the big surprise of that report. First, that he is back at all. Second, that he's gone from WR to LB??? Last time he was on our roster though, he was listed at 6'2 219.

TJ weighs 306 now, McClure was listed at 222.

jgphillips3

Quote from: jdelo77 on March 01, 2018, 07:11:10 pm
Where is Jordan jones ?

Good question, he is one of the handful of guys on our team that can truly make the other guys "chase speed."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GuvHog on March 01, 2018, 06:46:22 pm

This must mean that he actually did play his jr. Year.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

greenEGnHAWGS

I'm dying to hear something about our RBs. We've got some awesome talent back their and I'd like to see how CCM handles them in his packages.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 01, 2018, 07:52:21 pm
This must mean that he actually did play his jr. Year.

He is actually registered with the NCAA as having appeared in one game his Junior year. Went down in the first game of the year vs. La Tech.

http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=12424&stats_player_seq=1483969

Go Hogs Go!

Athog

That may be more a seniority thing! I would not pass judgement on one practice!!

bennyl08

Quote from: jdelo77 on March 01, 2018, 07:11:10 pm
Where is Jordan jones ?

Morris is starting off based mostly on seniority and will within a few weeks have a rotation more based on skill based on his press conference.

bennyl08

Nance and Martin were both JUCO's just barely getting into the system and adjusting to the speed of SEC football. Pettway and Stewart were in their 3rd year of the system here at Fayetteville and have some talent in their own right.

Further, to start the year, Martin had some nagging injuries limiting his effectiveness while Nance did in fact quickly rise to the top. Also, Jones more than showed why he was high in the rotation.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2018, 07:28:56 pm
TJ weighs 306 now, McClure was listed at 222.

Where are you getting this?

TheRazorback500

March 01, 2018, 10:15:21 pm #19 Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:33:25 pm by TheRazorback500
Taylor seems to be progressing well, and Gabe Richardson showed flashes last year. I see potential for a better pass rush.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2018, 09:07:59 pm
Morris is starting off based mostly on seniority and will within a few weeks have a rotation more based on skill based on his press conference.

From what I understood, he was going to mix it up about who gets reps in what order so he can see the reactions from the players as to where they fall in the rotation.

stronguard

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

bennyl08

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on March 01, 2018, 10:23:27 pm
From what I understood, he was going to mix it up about who gets reps in what order so he can see the reactions from the players as to where they fall in the rotation.

Eventually yes, but said that for the first practice, would likely just go by seniority.

bennyl08

Quote from: stronguard on March 01, 2018, 11:30:41 pm
Im wondering the same?

Younger than the other five. He's on the team and it shouldn't be a shock if he among the starting three. However, for day 1, somebody has to go first so Morris went with the oldest first and will change it up as time goes on in part to see how players respond to being put behind, in part to see how they respond when pushed to the front, and after a week or two, it'll start to form based on who is the best.

lakecityhog

This is the spring roster from the Razorbacks.com web site. My guess is that the weights are fairly current.

No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. Exp. Hometown (High School/Previous School)
1 Chevin Calloway DB 5-10 183 So. 1L Dallas, Texas (Bishop Dunne HS)
1 Jared Cornelius WR 5-11 207 Sr. 4L Shreveport, La. (Evangel Christian Academy)
2 Kamren Curl DB 6-2 188 So. 1L San Diego, Calif. (Muskogee HS [Okla.])
2 Chase Hayden RB 5-10 192 So. 1L Memphis, Tenn. (Saint George's Independent School)
3 McTelvin Agim DL 6-3 280 Jr. 2L Texarkana, Texas (Hope HS [Ark.])
3 Koilan Jackson WR 6-2 211 R-Fr. RS Little Rock, Ark. (Joe T. Robinson HS)
4 Alexy Jean-Baptiste LB 6-2 230 So. SQ Pompano Beach, Fla. (Coconut Creek HS)
4 Ty Storey QB 6-2 220 Jr. 1L Charleston, Ark. (Charleston HS)
5 Brandon Martin WR 6-4 219 Jr. 1L Monroe, La. (Prime Prep Academy/Mississippi Gulf Coast CC)
6 T.J. Hammonds RB 5-10 199 Jr. 2L Little Rock, Ark. (Joe T. Robinson HS)
6 Gabe Richardson DL 6-3 247 Jr. SQ Decatur, Ga. (Southwest DeKalb HS/Hutchinson CC [Kan.])
7 Briston Guidry DL 6-2 304 So. 1L Kenner, La. (Archbishop Rummel HS)
7 Jonathan Nance WR 6-0 166 Sr. 1L Gulfport, Miss. (Gulfport HS/Mississippi Gulf Coast CC)
8 De'Jon Harris LB 6-0 239 Jr. 2L Harvey, La. (John Ehret HS)
8 Michael Woods WR 6-1 186 Fr. HS Magnolia, Texas (Magnolia HS)
9 Santos Ramirez DB 6-2 195 Sr. 3L Shreveport, La. (Evangel Christian Academy)
9 De'Vion Warren WR 5-10 179 So. 1L Monroe, La. (Ouachita Parish HS)
10 Jordan Jones WR 6-1 173 So. 1L Smackover, Ark. (Smackover HS)
10 Randy Ramsey DL 6-4 227 Sr. 3L Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Dillard HS)
11 Daulton Hyatt QB 6-4 192 R-Fr. RS Arab, Ala. (Etowah HS)
11 Ryan Pulley DB 5-11 199 Sr. 2L Fort Myers, Fla. (Island Coast HS)
13 Nate Dalton DB 6-3 188 Jr. 1L Baton Rouge, La. (Cypress Falls HS)
13 Deon Stewart WR 5-11 158 Jr. 2L Hardy, Ark. (Highland HS)
14 Maleek Barkley RB 5-10 171 R-Fr. RS Austin, Texas (Lake Travis HS)
14 Carson Proctor QB 6-3 208 So. SQ Vero Beach, Fla. (Vero Beach HS)
14 Britto Tutt DB 6-1 171 Jr. 1L Augusta, Ga. (Academy of Richmond County/Ventura College [Calif.])
15 Korey Hernandez DB 5-10 180 R-Fr. RS Atlanta, Ga. (Cedar Grove HS)
15 Cole Kelley QB 6-7 263 So. 1L Lafayette, La. (Teurlings Catholic HS)
16 La'Michael Pettway WR 6-2 224 Jr. 2L Nashville, Ark. (Nashville HS)
16 Bumper Pool LB 6-2 214 Fr. HS Lucas, Texas (Lovejoy HS)
17 Austin Aune QB 6-2 199 Fr. HS Argyle, Texas (Argyle HS)
17 Kofi Boateng WR 6-1 185 So. SQ Arlington, Texas (Lamar HS)
18 Matt Berry DB 5-10 189 Jr. TR Booneville, Ark. (Booneville HS/Ouachita Baptist University)
18 Blake Johnson P 6-1 169 Jr. 1L Long Beach, Calif. (Los Alamitos HS)
18 Jack Lindsey QB 6-2 198 So. SQ Fayetteville, Ark. (Springdale HS)
18 Jeremy Patton TE 6-5 258 Sr. 1L Indianapolis, Ind. (Lawrence Central HS/Arizona Western College)
19 Connor Limpert K 6-1 170 Jr. 2L Allen, Texas (Allen HS)
19 Tyson Morris WR 6-1 199 R-Fr. RS Helena-West Helena, Ark. (Fayetteville HS/Central Oklahoma)
20 Giovanni LaFrance LB 6-1 242 So. SQ New Orleans, La. (Saint Augustine HS)
21 Montaric Brown DB 6-0 181 R-Fr. RS Ashdown, Ark. (Ashdown HS)
21 Devwah Whaley RB 5-11 215 Jr. 2L Beaumont, Texas (Central HS)
22 Deon Edwards LB 6-1 215 So. 1L Clermont, Fla. (Lake Minneola HS)
23 Dre Greenlaw LB 6-0 226 Sr. 3L Fayetteville, Ark. (Fayetteville HS)
23 Maleek Williams RB 5-11 224 R-Fr. RS Punta Gorda, Fla. (Charlotte HS)
24 Jarques McClellion DB 6-0 173 R-Fr. RS Lake Worth, Fla. (American Heritage School)
24 Kasey Montrois WR 5-10 181 R-Fr. RS West Palm Beach, Fla. (Berean Christian School)
25 Micahh Smith DB 6-0 204 So. 1L Marshall, Texas (Marshall HS)
26 Justice Hobbs RB 5-10 207 So. SQ Farmington, Ark. (Farmington HS)
26 Ryder Lucas DB 6-0 185 Sr. 3L The Woodlands, Texas (The Woodlands College Park HS)
27 Hayden Henry LB 6-2 211 So. 1L Little Rock, Ark. (Pulaski Academy)
28 Jayden Minchew DB 6-1 182 So. TR Springdale, Ark. (Springdale HS/Dartmouth)
29 Derrick Munson LB 5-11 207 So. 1L New Orleans, La. (Archbishop Rummel HS)
30 Kevin Richardson DB 5-11 185 Sr. 4L Jacksonville, Ark. (Jacksonville HS)
31 Grant Morgan LB 5-11 230 So. 1L Greenwood, Ark. (Greenwood HS)
32 Jordon Curtis DB 6-0 176 R-Fr. RS Jenks, Okla. (Jenks HS)
32 Hayden Johnson FB 6-2 261 Jr. 2L Columbia, Mo. (Rock Bridge HS)
33 Dee Walker LB 6-2 213 So. 1L Moultrie, Ga. (Colquitt County HS)
34 Kendrick Jackson FB 6-0 270 Sr. 3L Haynesville, La. (Haynesville HS)
34 Tyler Phillips LB 6-1 221 Jr. 1L North Little Rock, Ark. (North Little Rock HS)
36 D'Vone McClure LB 6-2 222 So. 1L Rixey, Ark. (Jacksonville HS)
37 Brenden Young DB 6-1 202 Jr. 1L Little Rock, Ark. (Bryant HS/Ouachita Baptist University)
38 Reid Miller DB 5-9 202 Sr. 3L Hollidaysburg, Pa. (IMG Academy [Fla.])
39 Byron Keaton DB 5-10 179 Jr. 1L Camden, Ark. (Camden Fairview HS)
39 Jackson Pace TE 6-2 233 R-Fr. TR Texarkana, Texas (Pleasant Grove HS/Abilene Christian)
40 Kyrei Fisher LB 6-1 238 So. SQ Tulsa, Okla. (Union HS)
40 Trey Purifoy TE 6-7 237 Jr. TR Little Rock, Ark. (Catholic HS/Ouachita Baptist University)
41 Austin Capps DL 6-4 301 Jr. 2L Star City, Ark. (Star City HS)
42 Jonathan Marshall DL 6-3 307 So. 1L Shepherd, Texas (Shepherd HS)
43 George Madden LS 6-1 213 Jr. SQ Blanchard, Okla. (Blanchard HS)
44 Austin Cantrell TE 6-3 253 Jr. 2L Roland, Okla. (Roland HS)

twistitup

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 01, 2018, 07:21:05 pm
Cornelius was hurt early, Martin was injured on and off the entire season and Pettway was inconsistent at best.  Nance was the most reliable guy we had. 

I have a feeling Nance will make a name for himself this year.....Dude has some serious hands and speed - last year had to give him a boost in confidence
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2018, 09:13:20 pm
Where are you getting this?

Roster handed out for the media.

twistitup

Bumper Pool - 6' 2" 214?

Dude better put on about 20# of muscle before fall. I thought he was thicker than that....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

island hog

I'm looking forward to hearing more about how our new RB Boyd is doing.

Snout team

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 02, 2018, 06:15:49 am
This is the spring roster from the Razorbacks.com web site. My guess is that the weights are fairly current.

1 Jared Cornelius WR 5-11 207 Sr. 4L Shreveport, La. (Evangel Christian Academy)
2 Chase Hayden RB 5-10 192 So. 1L Memphis, Tenn. (Saint George's Independent School)
5 Brandon Martin WR 6-4 219 Jr. 1L Monroe, La. (Prime Prep Academy/Mississippi Gulf Coast CC)
6 Gabe Richardson DL 6-3 247 Jr. SQ Decatur, Ga. (Southwest DeKalb HS/Hutchinson CC [Kan.])
7 Jonathan Nance WR 6-0 166 Sr. 1L Gulfport, Miss. (Gulfport HS/Mississippi Gulf Coast CC)
14 Britto Tutt DB 6-1 171 Jr. 1L Augusta, Ga. (Academy of Richmond County/Ventura College [Calif.])
18 Matt Berry DB 5-10 189 Jr. TR Booneville, Ark. (Booneville HS/Ouachita Baptist University)
18 Jeremy Patton TE 6-5 258 Sr. 1L Indianapolis, Ind. (Lawrence Central HS/Arizona Western College)
19 Tyson Morris WR 6-1 199 R-Fr. RS Helena-West Helena, Ark. (Fayetteville HS/Central Oklahoma)
24 Jarques McClellion DB 6-0 173 R-Fr. RS Lake Worth, Fla. (American Heritage School)
24 Kasey Montrois WR 5-10 181 R-Fr. RS West Palm Beach, Fla. (Berean Christian School)
26 Ryder Lucas DB 6-0 185 Sr. 3L The Woodlands, Texas (The Woodlands College Park HS)
34 Tyler Phillips LB 6-1 221 Jr. 1L North Little Rock, Ark. (North Little Rock HS)
37 Brenden Young DB 6-1 202 Jr. 1L Little Rock, Ark. (Bryant HS/Ouachita Baptist University)
39 Jackson Pace TE 6-2 233 R-Fr. TR Texarkana, Texas (Pleasant Grove HS/Abilene Christian)
40 Trey Purifoy TE 6-7 237 Jr. TR Little Rock, Ark. (Catholic HS/Ouachita Baptist University)

We need to recruit some WR with length.  6' 3" Burks would be a good start :-)
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

The_Iceman

Quote from: twistitup on March 02, 2018, 07:24:41 am
Bumper Pool - 6' 2" 214?

Dude better put on about 20# of muscle before fall. I thought he was thicker than that....

That's right about where I'd want a freshman linebacker day one. Plenty of time to put good weight on him.

ricepig

Quote from: island hog on March 02, 2018, 07:56:55 am
I'm looking forward to hearing more about how our new RB Boyd is doing.

He's going to class at JUCO, hopefully.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 02, 2018, 06:15:49 am

Is there still some attrition needed to get us to the 85 limit?

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 02, 2018, 09:40:45 am
Is there still some attrition needed to get us to the 85 limit?

5-6 I believe, Kraus has moved on, so that's 1.

Hog Fan from Camden

Pigsknuckles

The Cornelius injury last year was a curious thing. Just a gentle rock back and forth at the line, then he dropped like a rock. Got to believe the initial aggravation was on a previous play.  Curl was thrown into the fire last year following the Pulley injury. He had his miscues, but showed steady improvement. Feeling pretty good with him and Pulley at the corners. Hope Pulleys rehab has gone well. Really haven't heard anything on that.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

code red

Quote from: twistitup on March 02, 2018, 07:24:41 am
Bumper Pool - 6' 2" 214?

Saw him at the Mizzou basketball game.  Dude is a big ole boy.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2018, 09:44:31 am
5-6 I believe, Kraus has moved on, so that's 1.

Josh Paul makes 2.