Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

blocking kicks

Started by Gerald Gilber, May 01, 2017, 12:52:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald Gilber

I know Dan Skipper was very good at blocking kicks, who on our roster will fill that gap this coming season, I know red shirt walk on tight end Blake Kern is 6'6 and was very good at dunking in high school basketball, maybe he gets that shot! WooPig :razorback:
Can we play all our games at home????

navyhog24

Obvious choice would be Dalton Wagner

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 01, 2017, 01:06:32 pm
Obvious choice would be Dalton Wagner

Motion seconded, 6-9, check. Looks like a tough guy  ;) , check
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Seebs

Steven Hill has a year left in eligibility and will begin working out with Herb solely on kick blocking
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Gerald Gilber

I understand about Wagner but can he jump???

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Seebs on May 01, 2017, 01:28:32 pm
Steven Hill has a year left in eligibility and will begin working out with Herb solely on kick blocking

Haha yes please. Man I just want to see that once, would be great.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

gmarv

Quote from: Gerald Gilber on May 01, 2017, 02:14:20 pm
I understand about Wagner but can he jump???
Probable about like Skipper could would be my guess.

bennyl08

Skipper could reach a total of 141.375" minus the length of his neck/head. I.e. 6'10" tall, 33.375" arms and a 26" vertical. So, the ball had to be basically 12 feet off the ground by the time it got to him. The happens 7 yards (21 feet) behind the LoS. Maximum distance is gained at (90+ß)/2 where ß is the angle for which the crossbar is from the kick which will be greater than 45˚ so long as the cross bar is above ground. Even at a 45˚ angle, the ball would be ~21 feet off the ground by the time it hit the LoS if the kicker hit it right. However, that's ignoring air resistance, which a football definitely feels.

https://www.wired.com/2013/03/how-difficult-is-a-70-yard-field-goal/

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Fo-Ha/Football-Field-Goal-Physics.html

Combining those two links, a person will kick the ball at about 38.4m/s which would have maximum range at 40 about degrees. Which would mean somebody like Skipper would have to penetrate about 2.25 yards to get the block or would get the block if the kicker kicks at a 30˚ angle.

Interestingly, Wise Jr in theory would actually have an easier time blocking a kick. He is 6'5 to Skipper's 6'10, but his arms are longer and his vertical is higher. Wise would have about a 2.5" advantage.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hey Super

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 04:27:13 pm
Skipper could reach a total of 141.375" minus the length of his neck/head. I.e. 6'10" tall, 33.375" arms and a 26" vertical. So, the ball had to be basically 12 feet off the ground by the time it got to him. The happens 7 yards (21 feet) behind the LoS. Maximum distance is gained at (90+ß)/2 where ß is the angle for which the crossbar is from the kick which will be greater than 45˚ so long as the cross bar is above ground. Even at a 45˚ angle, the ball would be ~21 feet off the ground by the time it hit the LoS if the kicker hit it right. However, that's ignoring air resistance, which a football definitely feels.

Combining those two links, a person will kick the ball at about 38.4m/s which would have maximum range at 40 about degrees. Which would mean somebody like Skipper would have to penetrate about 2.25 yards to get the block or would get the block if the kicker kicks at a 30˚ angle.

Interestingly, Wise Jr in theory would actually have an easier time blocking a kick. He is 6'5 to Skipper's 6'10, but his arms are longer and his vertical is higher. Wise would have about a 2.5" advantage.

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Royal Fortune on May 01, 2017, 04:34:35 pm

In his defense, it might be the shortest post he's ever made.

So, there's that.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 01, 2017, 01:24:54 pm
Motion seconded, 6-9, check. Looks like a tough guy  ;) , check
How does his vertical check out? lol...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Gerald Gilber

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 01, 2017, 11:39:57 pm
Bell can jump out of the gym and is 6'6", so could be a possibility
I thought of him as well

FANONTHEHILL

I would go with Bell as well.  Possibly Wagner in time, but he will likely, and as it should be, red shirt this fall.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

DeltaBoy

It will be interesting to see which one gets the call for this duty.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Would hurt to have 2 or 3 Guys in position to go high and stop the ball.  I doubt the STAFF and HC have delved into such detail yet for this coming season.

Jackrabbit Hog

It's gonna be awfully tough for somebody to penetrate 2.25 yards and at the same time get his maximum vertical leap.  Something tells me the OL he's engaged with is going to knock down the vertical just a bit.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

1highhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 04:27:13 pm

Now,,, say that in Arkansas English.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 1highhog on May 02, 2017, 04:52:46 pm
Now,,, say that in Arkansas English.

"He's a tall drink o' water and swats kicks real good."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 02, 2017, 05:04:03 pm
"He's a tall drink o' water and swats kicks real good."

That there describes Ole' Skipper. But Wise, could jump like a cricket and had arms like a rangatayne. Them kickers better get the ball up sooner than a rooster.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

May 03, 2017, 04:53:04 am #21 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:47:51 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: bennyl08 on May 02, 2017, 05:26:46 pm
That there describes Ole' Skipper. But Wise, could jump like a cricket and had arms like a rangatayne. Them kickers better get the ball up sooner than a rooster.
Life's been a 'tough row to hoe' for you since the powers at be at Hogville shut down the political chat room.  I know you'd much rather be telling us all why the riots at Ferguson, Mo were completely justified. But now you are stuck with equations in your head. Better watch out, people have been known to go bat ish crazy with only numbers in the ol' dome.

ad:  so as to keep the thread moving on down the correct track, I firmly believe Jemario Bell will fill the role of designated FG blocker for the Hogs. The reach and sheer vertical lift alone will get Jemario at least a couple of blocks in his career, maybe more.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 03, 2017, 04:53:04 am
Life's been a 'tough row to hoe' for you since the powers at be at Hogville shut down the political chat room.  I know you'd much rather be telling us all why the riots at Ferguson, Mo were completely justified. But now you are stuck with equations in your head. Better watch out, people have been known to go bat ish crazy with only numbers in the ol' dome.
LOL, Benny has always been a numbers guy and mostly only entered political discussion when there were numbers to crunch or logical fallacies to crush.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.