Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Draft

Started by Dirttrackhog, April 27, 2017, 12:49:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 29, 2017, 06:56:22 pm
A dearth of true, bona-fide NFL talent drafted in this draft.  The following was the only true, bona-fide NFL talent.

Deshaun Watson
Mike Williams
Wayne Gallman
Jordan Leggett
Cordrea Tankersley
Carlos Watkins
Jonathan Allen
Reuben Foster
O.J. Howard
Cam Robinson
Jamal Adams
Leonard Fournette
Myles Garrett
Dalvin Cook
DeMarcus Walker
David Njoku
Raekwon McMillan
Marshon Lattimore
Jabrill Peppers
Taco Charlton

The rest of the draftees are basically decent NFL practice/bench warmer players.

Are all but about 4 of those from Clemson?

HognotinMemphis

The NFL draft results for Arkansas Razorback players this year is perfectly reflective of the level of success in the SEC that Bielema has had in his first 4 years. That is fact, not opinion.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 30, 2017, 11:21:09 am
The NFL draft results for Arkansas Razorback players this year is perfectly reflective of the level of success in the SEC that Bielema has had in his first 4 years. That is fact, not opinion.

Last 3 seasons we have had 13 NFL draft picks. We had 16 in all of the 90's

The above is a fact. Your statement above is opinion.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2017, 11:28:48 am

I do not know how many NFL draft picks the U of A had in the '90's but if it is the number you state, that is perfectly reflective of the conference losing record the Razorbacks had for the decade of the '90's. Heck, we could not beat SMU in the '90's after they returned from the death penalty.
Call my statement whatever you like but the fact is that a few draft picks in the 4th round reflects this past 4 years pretty accurately.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LZH

Not gonna get into fact or fiction....but to be fair, we had like, what, only three winning seasons in the 90's.  Ford recruited a few good classes, but even with that, we were waaaaay behind in talent in the 90's (even before we hit the SEC).

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 30, 2017, 11:39:04 am
I do not know how many NFL draft picks the U of A had in the '90's but if it is the number you state, that is perfectly reflective of the conference losing record the Razorbacks had for the decade of the '90's. Heck, we could not beat SMU in the '90's after they returned from the death penalty.
Call my statement whatever you like but the fact is that a few draft picks in the 4th round reflects this past 4 years pretty accurately.

First. You should know how many draft picks we had in the 90's I just told you.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/all-time-nfl-draft-picks/#sm.00000sp32kd738f51zkhe0o1765fl

You can look above its a simple Google search.

Second, you may also want to do a simple Google search the definition of the words Fact and Opinion.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LZH on April 30, 2017, 11:42:25 am
Not gonna get into fact or fiction....but to be fair, we had like, what, only three winning seasons in the 90's.  Ford recruited a few good classes, but even with that, we were waaaaay behind in talent in the 90's (even before we hit the SEC).

I was just simply providing an example of a fact.

Your above statement is your opinion of the fact I provided. I was not trying to imply anything. Just showing his statement was without a doubt an opinion

WilsonHog

April 30, 2017, 11:50:11 am #157 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:00:44 pm by WilsonHog
Another fact is that over the last four seasons we have won 25 games and lost 26, including 10-22 in the SEC.

There are no doubt opinions to be drawn from that, perhaps even relative to a correlation with number of players drafted in comparison to those of our SEC opponents.

ricepig

April 30, 2017, 11:53:38 am #158 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:59:38 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 11:50:11 am
Another fact is that over the last four seasons we have won 25 SEC games and lost 26.

There are no doubt opinions to be drawn from that, perhaps even relative to a correlation with number of players drafted in comparison to this of our SEC opponents.

Won 25 and lost 26 games total, our SEC record isn't as good.

Correct. My mistake. In the SEC we are 10-22.

King Kong

It's actually 12 draft picks in 3 years. But yes his statement was opinion.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 11:50:11 am
Another fact is that over the last four seasons we have won 25 SEC games and lost 26.

There are no doubt opinions to be drawn from that, perhaps even relative to a correlation with number of players drafted in comparison to this of our SEC opponents.
That is what I was doing, as I can see from your comment. Why TennesseeHog got salty about it, I do not understand.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2017, 11:53:38 am
Won 25 and lost 26 games total, our SEC record isn't as good.

Better talent, but not enough across the board. Still glaring holes to fill each and every year due to lack of depth.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

LZH

hawginbigd1

Quote from: sickboy on April 29, 2017, 06:08:31 pm
They started talking about Watson the second last years draft ended, saying he'd be a sure bet for the #1 spot. Guy had the best year of his life and still wasn't a top ten pick. You can't predict any of this stuff a year out. It's just noise at this point.
I think actually the way Clemson struggled to put lesser teams away like Troy and Pitt, created his drop in status. Much of the year He and Clemson struggled, and he threw some bad picks and had more picks overall. 2015 was actually his better year.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 10:07:44 am
Actually if we were as good as the Oklahoma program has been for awhile we would be looking at our schedule with about 6 gimmie games also.  But we aren't. Alabama goes in every year looking at about 6 or 7 gimmie games every year also.  That is the difference of being great and being mediocre.

Oklahoma in the Big 12 isn't reflective of Alabama in the SEC. OU wouldn't have the same record as Alabama has in the SEC. They benefit every season from being in a lesser conference.  Not that OU wouldn't be a solid program in the SEC. They would.  But Arkansas would be considered a much better program if we had spent the last two decades in the Big 12 versus the SEC.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2017, 06:17:19 pm
Oklahoma in the Big 12 isn't reflective of Alabama in the SEC. OU wouldn't have the same record as Alabama has in the SEC. They benefit every season from being in a lesser conference.  Not that OU wouldn't be a solid program in the SEC. They would.  But Arkansas would be considered a much better program if we had spent the last two decades in the Big 12 versus the SEC.

They might not have the same record, but what I am saying is when you are a mediocre program more teams are equal to you than when you are a top tier program.  Alabama marks probably 3 teams at least in the sec as gimmie games.  Arkansas, Missouri, and Mississippi State.  Plus they have 3 rent a wins out of conference.  Us on the other hand we have proven that there are 2 maybe 3 rent a wins for us a year while everyone else on our schedule is not.  That is the difference of being a mediocre program vs a top tier program. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HiggiePiggy

If we were in the big 12 that would also mean difference in recruiting. We may not have a top 30 class if we were in the big 12.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 30, 2017, 11:39:04 am

Our MLB the last 4 years isn't set yet for a tryout. That is all you need to know.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 06:31:58 pm
They might not have the same record, but what I am saying is when you are a mediocre program more teams are equal to you than when you are a top tier program.  Alabama marks probably 3 teams at least in the sec as gimmie games.  Arkansas, Missouri, and Mississippi State.  Plus they have 3 rent a wins out of conference.  Us on the other hand we have proven that there are 2 maybe 3 rent a wins for us a year while everyone else on our schedule is not.  That is the difference of being a mediocre program vs a top tier program. 

I agree with that.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 06:34:15 pm
If we were in the big 12 that would also mean difference in recruiting. We may not have a top 30 class if we were in the big 12.

This I disagree with. We would recruit about the same. The SEC factor really isn't anything. We would still recruit about the same as Oklahoma state or TCU. We might actually have done better considering that we would be playing more games in Texas.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 30, 2017, 07:07:51 pm
Our MLB the last 4 years isn't set yet for a tryout. That is all you need to know.
Boom

HogHomer

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2017, 07:47:10 pm
This I disagree with. We would recruit about the same. The SEC factor really isn't anything. We would still recruit about the same as Oklahoma state or TCU. We might actually have done better considering that we would be playing more games in Texas.
Arkansas already has a small recruiting base and leaving the SEC would have a bigger effect than what you're stating. Like it our not SEC gets our foot in a lot doors at prospect households. Factor in the money we get form SEC which has helped us have some of the best facilities in the country which attract recruits. Being in the SEC is a positive even if we are looking up at a lot of teams in our conference at the moment.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HogHomer on April 30, 2017, 08:41:38 pm
Arkansas already has a small recruiting base and leaving the SEC would have a bigger effect than what you're stating. Like it our not SEC gets our foot in a lot doors at prospect households. Factor in the money we get form SEC which has helped us have some of the best facilities in the country which attract recruits. Being in the SEC is a positive even if we are looking up at a lot of teams in our conference at the moment.

It's only been within the last few years that the SEC has out paced the Big 12 in revenue and most of that is because of the SEC network. So lets don't act like the Big 12 isn't bringing in revenue. We would still have the same facilities today if we would have been in the Big 12 all along. As far as recruiting goes. We would probably been better off in the Big 12 or at the very least the same. We would have never lost our Texas recruiting and our proximity to Louisiana will always garner interest.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2017, 07:47:10 pm

Interviews with recruits state differently. Many have listed us being in the SEC as the reason they chose us over some other schools. In general, surveys of interviews show that a good chunk of them highly value conference prestige levels. I.e. would rather play in the SEC over others, PAC 12 over Big 12, Big 10 over Big 12, etc...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawghiggs

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 30, 2017, 10:31:49 pm
Interviews with recruits state differently. Many have listed us being in the SEC as the reason they chose us over some other schools. In general, surveys of interviews show that a good chunk of them highly value conference prestige levels. I.e. would rather play in the SEC over others, PAC 12 over Big 12, Big 10 over Big 12, etc...

A recruit will possibly say anything when they are being questioned. Especially when they are being led in that direction.  Arkansas in the Big 12 would have garnered more wins. Would a recruit then say that they wanted to go to a winning program like Arkansas?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 01, 2017, 03:53:23 pm
A recruit will possibly say anything when they are being questioned. Especially when they are being led in that direction.  Arkansas in the Big 12 would have garnered more wins. Would a recruit then say that they wanted to go to a winning program like Arkansas?

It is possible we would have had more wins, but looking at our last few games against teams in the big 12 and teams that were in the big 12 it's tough to say we would be a lot better team.  Kansas and Iowa State would probably be teams we beat often, but Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas, West Virginia and TCU would not have been push over teams for us in the past 5 years.  Heck we lost to a bad Texas Tech team two years ago which was our best year as far as record goes in the last 5 years.  So saying being in the big 12 doesn't automatically mean more wins.  Probably would have, but who knows.