Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Record student attendance in 2016

Started by ricepig, December 27, 2016, 11:34:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

But I thought the students/millennials don't care about the games...

Source: Hogville

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 27, 2016, 02:28:07 pm

It appears only about 1/2 of the Access pass holders on average, which was less than 1/2 of the student enrollment. Now, how that compares to our fellow SEC brethren, I don't know.

RME

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2016, 02:37:04 pm
It appears only about 1/2 of the Access pass holders on average, which was less than 1/2 of the student enrollment. Now, how that compares to our fellow SEC brethren, I don't know.

True, but a 55% increase is still pretty impressive. I'm honestly not sure how it compares either, and I'm too lazy at the moment to go and check, haha.

As for the 1/2 of the student enrollment not having an Access Pass, I know while I was there they "capped" the number of Access Passes sold in total. I think, as I said at least when I was there, they capped it at around 12,000, but they may have upped that given the fact they sold ~12,300 for this year. But ASG was always fighting to get it upped, and that may have happened now.

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 27, 2016, 02:53:26 pm
True, but a 55% increase is still pretty impressive. I'm honestly not sure how it compares either, and I'm too lazy at the moment to go and check, haha.

As for the 1/2 of the student enrollment not having an Access Pass, I know while I was there they "capped" the number of Access Passes sold in total. I think, as I said at least when I was there, they capped it at around 12,000, but they may have upped that given the fact they sold ~12,300 for this year. But ASG was always fighting to get it upped, and that may have happened now.

I thought they use to cap it at around 9800, but had raised in it in the past few seasons.

factchecker

Students were impressive this year.  They razzed La Tech's kicker all game which probably led to him missing the last kick.  They were loud and energetic when it was needed.  Here is a clip from the Ole Miss game:

https://twitter.com/ElvisMoyaUA/status/787489485768445952
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sowmonella

Jeff could increase that number by adding things to make it an event for the students and regular fans. Maybe a free concert after the game with no admittance after half time. He might consider this for OOC BB games as well. It's gotta be more than they can see on TV. The students were fantastic this year. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

1highhog

Quote from: sowmonella on December 27, 2016, 03:47:38 pm
Jeff could increase that number by adding things to make it an event for the students and regular fans. Maybe a free concert after the game with no admittance after half time. He might consider this for OOC BB games as well. It's gotta be more than they can see on TV. The students were fantastic this year. :razorback:

I like the idea of a Concert or something after the game has ended, as long as they don't allow readmittance, that way students and fans in general would have to stay through the whole game, great idea.

hogblitz

Quote from: 1highhog on December 27, 2016, 11:37:59 pm
I like the idea of a Concert or something after the game has ended, as long as they don't allow readmittance, that way students and fans in general would have to stay through the whole game, great idea.
I have an idea.  How about just win more football games?!  Then, there are no problems in any capacity.   

RME

December 28, 2016, 12:28:56 am #9 Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:42:37 am by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: hogblitz on December 27, 2016, 11:56:19 pm
I have an idea.  How about just win more football games?!  Then, there are no problems in any capacity.   

Well, we won the same amount of regular season games this year as we did last year, student attendance still increased 55%, AND overall attendance increased.

Doesn't appear that there are too many problems in any capacity.

artvandalay

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 28, 2016, 12:28:56 am
Well, we won the same amount of regular season games this year as we did last year, student attendance still increased 55%, AND overall attendance increased.

Doesn't appear that there are too many problems in any capacity.

How much of that has to do with fans buying into the system and how much has to do with the quality of the schedule. One year we play Alabama, LSU and Ole Miss at home then it rotates to Auburn, Miss St, and Missouri the next. Plus throw in Florida this year and you have a recipe for higher attendance just based on the schedule. If we're looking like another 7-5 team next year, are people going to flock to the stadium to see Miss St like they did to LSU this year?

ricepig

Quote from: artvandalay on December 28, 2016, 08:05:02 am
How much of that has to do with fans buying into the system and how much has to do with the quality of the schedule. One year we play Alabama, LSU and Ole Miss at home then it rotates to Auburn, Miss St, and Missouri the next. Plus throw in Florida this year and you have a recipe for higher attendance just based on the schedule. If we're looking like another 7-5 team next year, are people going to flock to the stadium to see Miss St like they did to LSU this year?

It was pretty full two years ago against Miss St, and I believe it was a sellout or close to it. Now, the extremely cold weather kept some of the less hearty at home.

The_Iceman

Having 4 great home games helps those numbers: Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, and Florida.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 28, 2016, 08:22:58 am
Having 4 great home games helps those numbers: Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, and Florida.

Next year we will have TCU, Auburn, Miss St, and Mizzou, it could fall off a little, or stay strong. I suspect the season will dictate how the end of it goes.

Jackrabbit Hog

Our youngest was a senior this fall, and she and her boyfriend always attended but often had to until well after kickoff to get into the stadium due to the long line at the student entrance and the process for getting in.  We always walked past the student gate on our way to our gate, and were always amazed at what seemed to be the lack of organization and the delay in getting the students in on time.  I'm sure it's part the fault of the students for getting there late, but I also think the process needs to be changed.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: hogblitz on December 27, 2016, 11:56:19 pm

You want more students to show up and hang out? Stop making them go through US Customs to get in games. College kids like to drink.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 27, 2016, 02:28:07 pm

Any and every opinion imaginable (except, most likely, the truth).

[CENSORED]!

RME

Quote from: artvandalay on December 28, 2016, 08:05:02 am

I really don't know/can't answer that. But we can go off of history a little bit.

Attendance in the debacle that was the 2012 year:
Alabama: ~74,600
Rutgers: ~72,500
Kentucky: ~67,000
LSU: ~71,100

We were 1-2 going into the Rutgers game having lost to Monroe and Alabama 52-0 the week before, and still brought in 72.5k. We were 4-7 by the LSU game and still brought in 71k.

My point is this: Arkansas fans are good fans and will attend games no matter what. Yes, the season I used is "cherry-picked" but it's almost the worst-case scenario of a season that I could cherry pick.

The microcosm that encompasses those on Hogville who bitch about attendance doesn't really speak for the fanbase as a whole.

RME

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 28, 2016, 09:37:44 am
Our youngest was a senior this fall, and she and her boyfriend always attended but often had to until well after kickoff to get into the stadium due to the long line at the student entrance and the process for getting in.  We always walked past the student gate on our way to our gate, and were always amazed at what seemed to be the lack of organization and the delay in getting the students in on time.  I'm sure it's part the fault of the students for getting there late, but I also think the process needs to be changed.

It's atrocious. The people working the games literally swipe each student's ID in what almost looks like a Wal-Mart price scanner, and half the time it takes multiple swipes for the damn thing to register. Then they have to manually put colored wristbands on each and every student AFTER their card has been swiped.

ricepig

Quote from: Hou-Hog on December 28, 2016, 05:09:19 pm
This is not surprising since the university is the largest it has ever been.

Well, it didn't have a 55% increase in enrollment over the previous year.

uncle bubs

The student section was beyond amazing this season. Be proud of that! The boys didn't play particularly great this year, but that didn't stop the students from having a ball. I can't wait to be a part of it again next year.
God bless the Boston Mountains.