Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There are too many bowl games when 5-7 teams are playing

Started by Lanny, December 27, 2016, 10:30:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Does each team receive an attendance award?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Sportster365

Participation trophies, out of the 128 FBS teams in college football 80 of them got bowl invites. Teams with losing records should definitely not get invited. Honestly not a fan of the 6-6 crowd either. If I had it my way, teams with more than 4 losses wouldn't make it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 27, 2016, 10:55:57 am
Participation trophies

So tired of this line. 1st, not everyone gets into a bowl, so that right there means it is not a participation award. 2nd, there is a precise way to qualify for a bowl, again not by just participating.

Are there too many bowls? What does it matter if there are 64 bowls, or 40, or 20? If you don't like them do not watch them. If enough people quit watching or attending then the bowl will go away.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

It's a commercial event, I don't understand why some of you can't see that. It isn't some reward, or participation trophy, it's a game made for TV by ESPN, you know, the source of about 35% of college football's income.

RagingHawgOn

Never too many football games for me. I'll watch a game between two winless teams before I give one minute of attention to the NBA.

ricepig

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 27, 2016, 11:08:56 am
Never too many football games for me. I'll watch a game between two winless teams before I give one minute of attention to the NBA.

We were waiting on relatives to show up at Mom's late on Christmas afternoon, one of my brothers said "you not watching the basketball game?", I said I'd rather watch the test pattern than NBA until the playoffs.

justmaybe

To many bowls? Tell that to the guys that toiled thru August practices and 12 weeks of practice. Or the teams that had legitimate shots at being contenders but had injuries or adversity but overcame it. Or the guy who is a senior playing his last game. Bowl games used to be rewards for the players not punishment for fans.

oldhawg

Would you watch the Razorbacks on TV in a bowl game if they had a 5-7 or 6-6 record?  And that's why there are so many bowl games.  In fact, more Hog fans would probably attend a bowl game than fans of other teams with 5-7 or 6-6 records.

It is indeed a commercial event.  Plus it gives participating teams a few more practice days. 

Bowl games are not the same as the days when there were only a few.  Enjoy those that interest you.

ricepig

Quote from: justmaybe on December 27, 2016, 11:13:08 am
To many bowls? Tell that to the guys that toiled thru August practices and 12 weeks of practice. Or the teams that had legitimate shots at being contenders but had injuries or adversity but overcame it. Or the guy who is a senior playing his last game. Bowl games used to be rewards for the players not punishment for fans.

Looks like it's about $1350 in gifts to the players, according to Fan, it means a little something to the players, haha.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogsanity on December 27, 2016, 11:01:44 am
So tired of this line. 1st, not everyone gets into a bowl, so that right there means it is not a participation award. 2nd, there is a precise way to qualify for a bowl, again not by just participating.

Are there too many bowls? What does it matter if there are 64 bowls, or 40, or 20? If you don't like them do not watch them. If enough people quit watching or attending then the bowl will go away.

I have to agree here.  I can't complain about extra football games.  I love to watch football period, some games are better or more exciting than others, but If there is one on and I am home I'll generally watch them.  Usually after the season I pick a team who has most of their games on line and watch their entire season one game a night.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on December 27, 2016, 11:15:51 am
I have to agree here.  I can't complain about extra football games.  I love to watch football period, some games are better or more exciting than others, but If there is one on and I am home I'll generally watch them.  Usually after the season I pick a team who has most of their games on line and watch their entire season one game a night.

IT was like the MSu/Miami game yesterday. Not a great game, not well played, but how many games do you see decided on a blocked FG with under 10 seconds to go? Did I watch the entire thing, no. But when I sat down to eat lunch, I caught the 4th quarter.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgar The Horrible

I want my back to back to back to back to back episodes of SportsCenter!   >:(
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

gchamblee

amen. these people act like their tv gets stuck in the on position and they have to suffer through a game they dont want to watch lol. there might be too many soap operas on during the weekdays too, but i wouldn't know because I DONT WATCH THEM.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2016, 11:12:54 am
We were waiting on relatives to show up at Mom's late on Christmas afternoon, one of my brothers said "you not watching the basketball game?", I said I'd rather watch the test pattern than NBA until the playoffs.

No doubt. The NBA needs a one month season.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: gchamblee on December 27, 2016, 11:20:43 am
amen. these people act like their tv gets stuck in the on position and they have to suffer through a game they dont want to watch lol. there might be too many soap operas on during the weekdays too, but i wouldn't know because I DONT WATCH THEM.

It truly is a correctable situation ha

SemperHawg

We are a month and a half away from no Football of any kind for the rest of the year... I'll take all of the bonus Football I can get right now.  5-7, 6-6 bring them all on I say.  Honestly two crappy teams getting after it can also be entertaining.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2016, 11:04:28 am
It's a commercial event, I don't understand why some of you can't see that. It isn't some reward, or participation trophy, it's a game made for TV by ESPN, you know, the source of about 35% of college football's income.

Well said.  It's an exhibition game that draws interest from the schools' fans, and those of us who will watch any college football when given the chance.

and this:

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 27, 2016, 11:42:48 am
We are a month and a half away from no Football of any kind for the rest of the year... I'll take all of the bonus Football I can get right now.  5-7, 6-6 bring them all on I say.  Honestly two crappy teams getting after it can also be entertaining.

Torqued pork

I must be in the minority. If I don't have any interest in watching two teams play in the regular season it doesn't change if they play in some no-name bowl, but there are apparently plenty who will.

Kevin

the worst part of so many games, is so many bad announcers.

on some of these games, I would like to hear the radio broadcast from one team every other quarter.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 27, 2016, 11:42:48 am

+1000

I watched Miss St and Miami Oh yesterday.  Boy, that was two crappy teams.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 27, 2016, 12:28:36 pm
+1000

I watched Miss St and Miami Oh yesterday.  Boy, that was two crappy teams.

Scrappy and crappy.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Lanny

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2016, 11:13:20 am
Would you watch the Razorbacks on TV in a bowl game if they had a 5-7 or 6-6 record?  And that's why there are so many bowl games.  In fact, more Hog fans would probably attend a bowl game than fans of other teams with 5-7 or 6-6 records.

It is indeed a commercial event.  Plus it gives participating teams a few more practice days. 

Bowl games are not the same as the days when there were only a few.  Enjoy those that interest you.
Probably but can't watch another 5-7 Mississippi State game
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Lanny on December 27, 2016, 10:30:34 am
Does each team receive an attendance award?

Actually, yes.  With all the gifts the players get from the various sponsors.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

elksnort

I graduated from Miami University and was proud to watch them play well yesterday. With a little different approach at the end yesterday, they could have won. Miami and Mississippi State are also better teams than their records indicate. Both started off poorly and finished pretty well.

Anyway, watch if you enjoy them, don't watch is you don't.

hogsanity

Quote from: Lanny on December 27, 2016, 12:38:02 pm

You don't have to, MSu is done.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Lanny on December 27, 2016, 12:38:02 pm
I love Miss State games. They are the only SEC team with a worse defense than us. :)

NoogaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 27, 2016, 11:18:21 am
IT was like the MSu/Miami game yesterday. Not a great game, not well played, but how many games do you see decided on a blocked FG with under 10 seconds to go? Did I watch the entire thing, no. But when I sat down to eat lunch, I caught the 4th quarter.

Oh, the irony! And the agony! Sorry, having MSU flashbacks.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

justmakeit2thebcs

How can any one say there is too much football?  The only thing around here is too much of, is complaining about too many bowl games.  Even "Stay Positive Lanny" is venting.   

010HogFan

you can enjoy college football AND the NBA...the two aren't mutually exclusive if you are a sports fan. That Warriors-Cavs game the other night was great entertainment for a regular season game

hogsanity

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 27, 2016, 01:57:10 pm
you can enjoy college football AND the NBA...the two aren't mutually exclusive if you are a sports fan. That Warriors-Cavs game the other night was great entertainment for a regular season game

I do with the bowls what I do with the rest of the season, I watch the games I want to, and I don't watch the others. I did not watch one play of the Indy bowl because I had better things to do during that time. Have not watched one play of whatever bowl is one now, think it is nt/army.

As for the nba, it is just too long of a season. Yes the cavs/warriors game was really good, but all that game really did is remind people that the playoffs are still 4 months away, and that most of the regular season games mean nothing.

Sportster365

Don't worry I don't. It takes from the luster and prestige deserved from teams who've earned post season play.
It's the equivalent of driving a Mercedes in Berlin.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 27, 2016, 02:14:20 pm
I do with the bowls what I do with the rest of the season, I watch the games I want to, and I don't watch the others. I did not watch one play of the Indy bowl because I had better things to do during that time. Have not watched one play of whatever bowl is one now, think it is nt/army.

As for the nba, it is just too long of a season. Yes the cavs/warriors game was really good, but all that game really did is remind people that the playoffs are still 4 months away, and that most of the regular season games mean nothing.

I wonder why LeBron didn't sit that game????

HiggiePiggy

I say go with a 32 team playoff.  No more bowl games. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2016, 02:18:38 pm
I wonder why LeBron didn't sit that game????

probably because the NBA told all the stars they can sit out whenever they want EXCEPT the Christmas Day games which has kind of become the opening day for the nba in a lot of ways.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 27, 2016, 12:35:26 pm
If the purpose of bowl games is to reward a good season, then there is no question that there are too many. 7-5 should be the minimum record to qualify for a bowl game - if that was the purpose.

It's not. Bowl games exist primarily for television and the local communities. Extra practice time benefits the players, as does the merchandise they receive. Coaches benefit from incentive money in their contracts.

No harm to fans, and a benefit to those who like to travel to them.

In all of the bowl games played thus far, I've maybe watched a full game combined, and only those that have involved SEC teams or Wyoming. That probably won't change until New Year's Eve.
I'm with you on the last part.  I was rooting for Wyoming.  All the other teams so far...not so much.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

tophawg19

it's great for the kids on the rent a win teams who otherwise would never see a bowl. they start out 3 or 4 games down for money so it's a big deal for them . p5 teams on the other hand should at least be 6-6 . Oddly every 5-7 team that has played a team with a better record has won .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

East Clintwood

Quote from: hogsanity on December 27, 2016, 02:14:20 pm

Why does any game have to mean anything?

It's a ball game.  Enjoy it for that alone.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

justmakeit2thebcs

The purpose of bowl games is NOT to reward good teams.  Its put on by cities and corporations to help local economies.  Teams accept because players and fans alike enjoy it and they get a few weeks of developmental practice.  If the bowl doesn't help the local economy or the corporate sponsor, it goes away.

I wouldn't care is there were 63 season ending games and every team played.  Then we could call it a 13 game schedule, with last game not being prearranged.  Did y'all bitch when we went from a 10 to 11 to 12 game regular season?  What? more football?

ricepig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 27, 2016, 06:04:34 pm
If you watched that game I think you probably watch too much tv in general.

Oh, Mom, can't I stay up just a little longer..........

hogsanity

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 27, 2016, 06:34:54 pm
Why does any game have to mean anything?

It's a ball game.  Enjoy it for that alone.

If it means nothing, why play? What I mean by means something, a game like Cavs/GS is not going to be the difference in either of those teams making the playoffs, or likely even winning their division. In the scope of the NBA season it meant nothing. It was really good game, one of the few NBA games I have watched so far or will watch until the playoffs.

Jackrabbit Hog

The bowl games are fine, serve a purpose and give teams justification for all that additional practice time.  What we all need to do is stop calling a bowl bid a reward for a great season.  It used to be that, but it's not anymore.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 28, 2016, 09:40:05 am
What we all need to do is stop calling a bowl bid a reward for a great season.  It used to be that, but it's not anymore.

bowls have not been that for a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. Call it what it is - another game you get if you win at least 6 games ( or 5 if not enough teams win 6 ).

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 28, 2016, 11:20:56 am
bowls have not been that for a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. Call it what it is - another game you get if you win at least 6 games ( or 5 if not enough teams win 6 ).

Whenever I say "it used to be...", that normally means back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hawginbigd1

Nailed it!

I'd watch two 2-10 teams square off, I love bowl season! I might turn my nose up at that matchup on a Saturday during the season, but hey give them their own 3 hour time slot during the holidays I am there!

jkstock04

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 28, 2016, 11:26:06 am
Whenever I say "it used to be...", that normally means back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
In my opinion it's been 20 plus years since it actually meant something just going to a bowl game. These matchups are really watered down. A 5-7 North Texas team was playing in a bowl yesterday.

Just like everything else...it's all about the $$$$.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Inhogswetrust

Some of the lower bowls are not highly attended or watched. Lower Bowls are nothing more than a little very small economic benefit that some towns have. They use the fact schools want to play in them for a couple of reasons to be able to even have them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi