Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ready to see the 3-4

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, December 25, 2016, 12:28:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoop hawgy hawg

Who else is kind of excited to see the 3-4 when we play VT. I keep thinking of all the different blitz packages that we can run out of it and im hoping it will make a big differences..

ADavisTheGOAT

Are we using the 3-4 in the bowl? Or are the coaches waiting until the Spring?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

snoop hawgy hawg

Quote from: Hogfan991 on December 25, 2016, 12:30:05 pm
Are we using the 3-4 in the bowl? Or are the coaches waiting until the Spring?
I believe the coaches said they would use it in the bowl game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on December 25, 2016, 12:32:37 pm
I believe the coaches said they would use it in the bowl game.

I'm not sure that is what was said. That doesn't mean that we won't see it, but I think they were saying that they would take a look at it after the season.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 25, 2016, 01:09:37 pm
I'm not sure that is what was said. That doesn't mean that we won't see it, but I think they were saying that they would take a look at it after the season.

There was another quote from the coaches a couple of weeks ago that hinted they may throw a 3-4 look at times in the bowl to give VT something else that they haven't seen.  Which of course would be good since what they have seen probably doesn't instill any fear.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 25, 2016, 01:35:46 pm
There was another quote from the coaches a couple of weeks ago that hinted they may throw a 3-4 look at times in the bowl to give VT something else that they haven't seen.  Which of course would be good since what they have seen probably doesn't instill any fear.

That may be, I don't remember. I think we have shown a 3-4 look a few times this year (very sparingly) but I know this, if we don't dial up some schemes that include pressure from LB's and/or DB's, they might eat us alive. VT isn't the running team that Auburn is, but their QB is their leading rusher (around 60 yards each game) and we are going to have to have a plan for him.
Go Hogs Go!

Wasn't aware that the 3-4 was for sure being seriously considered at all.  But if we can learn it enough to use it that quick, great.  I would bet if it is used at all, it will be either a few simple versions or for just a few plays throughout the game.  I believed that the thought was that we didn't have personnel to operate the 3-4 right now but might have coming up next season.

lakecityhog

From what I can gather we are looking at it like 2 of the 4 LB's will be hybrid DE/LB body types. Ramsey, Roesler and possibly Beanum for now and Mike Taylor next year seem to be the guys that fit here. I would guess that against some teams one of those would give way to a LB/S body type for better coverage skills.

King Kong

Bielema said they might use some of the 3-4. I don't expect to see a significant change. We will probably use the 3-4 the same % as the rest of our games

LZH

Big difference between running 3-4 looks and actually running a 3-4 defense.

snoop hawgy hawg

Quote from: King Kong on December 25, 2016, 03:21:06 pm
Bielema said they might use some of the 3-4. I don't expect to see a significant change. We will probably use the 3-4 the same % as the rest of our games
it was my understanding that the 3-4 was going to be our new BASE defense. If our base is still going to be the crappy 4-2 that has getting us beat then It better be a new DC calling the shots!!!

rzrbk4life

I figure we'll probably see the 3-4, 10-12 times against VT
Let's call those hogs!!!!

tophawg19

we have run some 3-4 off and on through the season but only as a situational defense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 25, 2016, 01:43:01 pm
That may be, I don't remember. I think we have shown a 3-4 look a few times this year (very sparingly) but I know this, if we don't dial up some schemes that include pressure from LB's and/or DB's, they might eat us alive. VT isn't the running team that Auburn is, but their QB is their leading rusher (around 60 yards each game) and we are going to have to have a plan for him.

Quote was from December 21st: "During his news conference Monday in Fayetteville — his final press availability before the team departs to Charlotte — Bielema told reporters that his team might employ some 3-4 looks against the Hokies.

"You are always looking for new looks, and anything we can do to bring some pressures from both edges, boundary and field ... this quarterback obviously is a very athletic quarterback," Bielema said, "so we have to keep that in mind, that anything that involves different looks that they haven't seen are going to be beneficial.""

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-belk-bowl-defense-shift/amp?client=safari

HogBreath

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 25, 2016, 01:35:46 pm
Maybe they'll be really, really, really overconfident after watching some film of our defense.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

SNORTZENHOGGER

Don't we need a true nose guard for the 3-4? Who would that be?
Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

jgphillips3

Quote from: HogBreath on December 25, 2016, 06:37:17 pm
Maybe they'll be really, really, really overconfident after watching some film of our defense.

Film of our...defense?  Not much of that to see...

ballz2thewall

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on December 25, 2016, 03:46:58 pm
it was my understanding that the 3-4 was going to be our new BASE defense. If our base is still going to be the crappy 4-2 that has getting us beat then It better be a new DC calling the shots!!!

this is the point. does it really matter what the base is, IF we're not going to "do" [as in PRESSURE] anything with it.......?......
The rest of the frog.

King Kong

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on December 25, 2016, 03:46:58 pm

Not for the bowl game. Next year I would expect 3-4 against most teams. Especially spread

jgphillips3

Quote from: SNORTZENHOGGER on December 25, 2016, 07:01:13 pm

We have a few good candidates.  In descending order of likelihood:

Bijhon Jackson, 335
Austin Capps, 309
Briston Guidry, 294
Armon Watts, 296
Jonathan Marshall, 299

Capps & Guidry could form a nice rotation for a few years depending on what Guidry develops into.

menace_hawg3

I think Guidry and Smith will play behind Agim in that DE spot. Capps and Watts will be NT, behind Jackson.
Then again, are a lot of different ways you can play that. It really just depends on personnel.

jgphillips3

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on December 25, 2016, 09:18:30 pm
I think Guidry and Smith will play behind Agim in that DE spot.

I can easily see Guidry and Agim being DE.  After Jackson graduates next year, I'm not sure who will back up Capps so that's why I said he could be a NT...depending.  Gotta be somebody with enough mass to occupy the Center and a Guard.  He has that but I do agree that he's probably more of an end.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 25, 2016, 09:21:53 pm
I can easily see Guidry and Agim being DE.  After Jackson graduates next year, I'm not sure who will back up Capps so that's why I said he could be a NT...depending.  Gotta be somebody with enough mass to occupy the Center and a Guard.  He has that but I do agree that he's probably more of an end.

Yeah I feel you on Capps back-up. Maybe this is what that 25th spot is for. A grad-transfer or an under the radar juco guy. I really hope that Watts works out.

I'm really curious about their use of the 2 DEs. I know they won't 2 gap every one at all times, because Agim and Guidry are too versatile for that. There are just so many possibilities.

I wonder if they meant to recruit players who fit the 3-4?

jgphillips3

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on December 25, 2016, 09:33:33 pm
Yeah I feel you on Capps back-up. Maybe this is what that 25th spot is for. A grad-transfer or an under the radar juco guy. I really hope that Watts works out.

I'm really curious about their use of the 2 DEs. I know they won't 2 gap every one at all times, because Agim and Guidry are too versatile for that. There are just so many possibilities.

I wonder if they meant to recruit players who fit the 3-4?

Honestly, it seems to have been accidental.  However, I see several guys like Randy Ramsey and Giovanni LaFrance who might blossom as the hybrid DE/LB.  I'm afraid if we run 2 gap too much we will be shredded like this year.  We need to turn our beasts like Agim loose and not force our linebackers into essentially the same problems they had this year.  An aggressive, 1 gap, 3-4 could really help equalize our talent deficiencies with Bama and LSU compared to the passive way we played this year.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 25, 2016, 09:46:40 pm
Honestly, it seems to have been accidental.  However, I see several guys like Randy Ramsey and Giovanni LaFrance who might blossom as the hybrid DE/LB.  I'm afraid if we run 2 gap too much we will be shredded like this year.  We need to turn our beasts like Agim loose and not force our linebackers into essentially the same problems they had this year.  An aggressive, 1 gap, 3-4 could really help equalize our talent deficiencies with Bama and LSU compared to the passive way we played this year.

Maybe they should just 2 gap the NT and occasionally the weak side DE so the ILBS will be freed up. I can see how this scheme could simplify the ILBs job.

It's going to be interesting.

jgphillips3

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on December 25, 2016, 10:00:40 pm
Maybe they should just 2 gap the NT and occasionally the weak side DE so the ILBS will be freed up. I can see how this scheme could simplify the ILBs job.

It's going to be interesting.

Now that could work.  We just don't yet have stud linebackers that could consistently come up into the gap and then also cover if the three down all run two gap.  Your solution would probably work best.

IntegrityHog

I don't think we will blitz out of the 3-4.  Blitzing runs contrary to CBB's philosophy.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: rzrbk4life on December 25, 2016, 04:06:24 pm
Ray Biggers saw what you did there.

jgphillips3

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 25, 2016, 11:17:18 pm
I don't think we will blitz out of the 3-4.  Blitzing runs contrary to CBB's philosophy.

Which would take away one of the biggest advantages of the 3-4.  Hopefully, we blitz unpredictably and in multiple ways.

King Kong

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 25, 2016, 11:17:18 pm

Direct CBB quote on the 3-4, "It gives us the ability to bring different pressures off the edges"

IntegrityHog

Quote from: King Kong on December 26, 2016, 07:09:27 am
Direct CBB quote on the 3-4, "It gives us the ability to bring different pressures off the edges"

Good post. I resort your opinion. But I believe this is a red herring thrown out there by CBB to get Virginia Text to waste time on preparing for something we won't use. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 26, 2016, 07:34:53 am
But I believe this is a red herring thrown out there by CBB to get Virginia Text to waste time on preparing for something we won't use. 

If so, smart move.
Go Hogs Go!

havok

Quote from: rzrbk4life on December 25, 2016, 04:06:24 pm

I suspect it will be situational use.. or a Ploy to publicly announce so that VT spends valuable practice time preparing for something they may or may not see in the Bowl game.

King Kong

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 26, 2016, 07:34:53 am
Good post. I resort your opinion. But I believe this is a red herring thrown out there by CBB to get Virginia Text to waste time on preparing for something we won't use.

18:40 mark. Wasn't referring to the Va Tech game.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/videos/2016/dec/12/13191/

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on December 26, 2016, 08:38:49 am
18:40 mark. Wasn't referring to the Va Tech game.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/videos/2016/dec/12/13191/

Don't bother with this guy. He said there will be zero staff changes. Which has never happened in CBB's 11 years as a HC

IntegrityHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 26, 2016, 08:40:01 am
Don't bother with this guy. He said there will be zero staff changes. Which has never happened in CBB's 11 years as a HC

I did say that.  In hindsight, I should have said "There will be zero CBB-initiated staff changes."  I think CBB will keep all of his guys that want to stay.  There might be some that get higher-level jobs at other schools, like when Parteduge left to become a head coach at FIU

RedyorNot

Quote from: SNORTZENHOGGER on December 25, 2016, 07:01:13 pm
This is a pretty good article on what it could look like.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-defense-look-like-3-4-next-season