Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who replaces Skipper

Started by HoggusMaximus, December 21, 2016, 06:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

a0ashle

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 21, 2016, 11:48:35 am
The middle is/will be fine. I gave Froholdt crap from the moment he was moved to starting left guard, but even I had to admit that he made leaps and bounds by the end of the season. Johnny Gibson is a beast at right guard and may be the best walk on since burlsworth, we'll have to wait and see. Zach Rogers will be more than capable than taking over at center if (big if) ragnow moves to LT.

Why do we think the gap between Ragnow and Rodgers is going to be smaller then the gap between Ragnow at LT and someone else?

I think our middle improved, but I do t want to risk stagnation. We couldn't get 3rd and 4th and 1s last year. We have to fix that.

hogfooey

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on December 21, 2016, 08:41:37 am
Mary Anne will play center.
If she plays center, put me down as QB.  I will never run a play in the shotgun.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 12:08:28 pm
It's a disservice if they DONT take him from his position for 3 years and move him to a new position? Now we are going to pretend it's about what's best for Ragnow and not a "get the 5 best guys out there"?

Last year was a revolving door at LT before they put skip over there. Ragnow wasn't one of the ones trying it out. You'd think they would have tried it once before now.
You do realize that your OPINION isn't fact, right? You don't have to go into verbal combat with everyone that thinks differently.....nvm this is hogville, its what people do smh
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Wildhog

If the advantage of moving Ragnow outweighs the drop-off from Ragnow to Rogers/Raulerson at C, he'll move.  If not, he'll stay.  It's that simple.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 21, 2016, 12:16:20 pm
You do realize that your OPINION isn't fact, right? You don't have to go into verbal combat with everyone that thinks differently.....nvm this is hogville, its what people do smh

This is rich. You are only a few posts removed from attacking a guy who asked if Ragnow ever played LT.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 10:44:51 am
What is actually lol is 3 years at center in college being ignored in favor of some high school tape. Lol
I think he played RG his sophomore year... :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ricepig

It's a disservice if they DONT take him from his position for 3 years and move him to a new position? Now we are going to pretend it's about what's best for Ragnow and not a "get the 5 best guys out there"?

Last year was a revolving door at LT before they put skip over there. Ragnow wasn't one of the ones trying it out. You'd think they would have tried it once before now.

He was a guard as a sophomore.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawgwash

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 21, 2016, 07:47:08 am
Gilligan seems like the obvious choice. Can't wrong with Mary Anne either though.
What Mary Ann looks like today will shock you!!

(At least according to a link I made a bad decision to click on).

a0ashle

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 21, 2016, 12:25:00 pm
I think he played RG his sophomore year... :-\

Yes, and had spot duty at C his freshman year.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 21, 2016, 12:23:13 pm
If the advantage of moving Ragnow outweighs the drop-off from Ragnow to Rogers/Raulerson at C, he'll move.  If not, he'll stay.  It's that simple.
This is true. And while LT is the "money" spot, NO POSITION is more important than Center. And if
your center is your best lineman, I just don't see moving the guy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

a0ashle

He was a guard as a sophomore. My mistake. He was the center in waiting based on his freshman playing time.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 12:29:45 pm
Yes, and had spot duty at C his freshman year.
behind an All-American then and current starter in the nfl now. Hogville doesn't remember what a darn center looks like. It sucks. We need Big FrankdaTank in the middle. We'll be fine with Wallace @ LT. And, honestly, with the jump I expect from him and Froholdt, that line will be nasty.
@Slackaveli

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 12:24:41 pm
This is rich. You are only a few posts removed from attacking a guy who asked if Ragnow ever played LT.
Nice deflection. I haven't attacked anyone (today). At the end of the day, all we can do here is make guesses based on what is currently going on up on the hill, the actual decisions will be left up to the coaches (liking those decisions another conversation)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

onebadrubi

Ragnow has played at least 3 of the positions on Oline and I think maybe 4 in his 3 years, so we aren't pulling a 3 year starter from a single position... To be 100% honest.

Also, putting ragnow at LT and Rogers at C might just be getting the best 5 on field, so your rebuttal is actually answering your own response there.

Last year skip was always at LT, year before it was Kirkland, both start to finish of the season. So basically everything in your quoted post was incorrect.

Wildhog

What sucks is that we're even having to discuss this.  We shouldn't be scrambling for serviceable tackles at this point in CBB's tenure.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on December 21, 2016, 12:23:13 pm

Hogville requires 5 pages of banter back and forth to say the same thing. In reality it is exactly this.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on December 21, 2016, 12:37:58 pm
What sucks is that we're even having to discuss this.  We shouldn't be scrambling for serviceable tackles at this point in CBB's tenure.

This should be our last year having to do so. We have 4-5 very young big talented guys in line waiting after the next season. Ragnow back no matter where he plays is a huge hole filled in this line. I don't think people will quite grasp how big this is and should out red shirts on all incoming freshman, which means we are finally doing what Bielema wanted 2-3 years ago.

GalaHawg

I expect Jackson and Ramirez to fight it out for the LT position. Ragnow is going to try to be the best C in the nation and Wallace likes to play on the right side according to the coaches.

My expected three deep going into Spring is...

LT - Jackson or Ramirez; Wagner
LG - Froholdt; Malone or Heinrich
C - Ragnow; Rogers; Hayes
RG - Gibson or Merrick; Adcock or Clenin
RT - Wallace; Raulerson or Hall

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 21, 2016, 12:40:27 pm
This should be our last year having to do so. We have 4-5 very young big talented guys in line waiting after the next season. Ragnow back no matter where he plays is a huge hole filled in this line. I don't think people will quite grasp how big this is and should out red shirts on all incoming freshman, which means we are finally doing what Bielema wanted 2-3 years ago.

One would certainly hope.  And yes, Ragnow coming back is YUGE.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 21, 2016, 12:38:30 pm
Hogville requires 5 pages of banter back and forth to say the same thing. In reality it is exactly this.
Whats funny is I basically said the same thing about 2 hours ago, but as you said, hogville lol

a0ashle

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 21, 2016, 12:37:11 pm
Ragnow has played at least 3 of the positions on Oline and I think maybe 4 in his 3 years, so we aren't pulling a 3 year starter from a single position... To be 100% honest.

Also, putting ragnow at LT and Rogers at C might just be getting the best 5 on field, so your rebuttal is actually answering your own response there.

Last year skip was always at LT, year before it was Kirkland, both start to finish of the season. So basically everything in your quoted post was incorrect.

He played guard his soph year, but has pretty much been our next center.

Skip moved to LT in fall camp, in spring it was open to multiple others, Ragnow wasn't out there.

I understand that MAYBE putting him at LT means the best 5 are out there. What I don't see is a reason to believe that the backup to the best center in CFB is smaller drop off, then between a player who hasn't played LT since HS and someone else on this roster. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 12:48:57 pm
He played guard his soph year, but has pretty much been our next center.

Skip moved to LT in fall camp, in spring it was open to multiple others, Ragnow wasn't out there.

I understand that MAYBE putting him at LT means the best 5 are out there. What I don't see is a reason to believe that the backup to the best center in CFB is smaller drop off, then between a player who hasn't played LT since HS and someone else on this roster.

Which is why you give it a shot.  No one here has said anything more than that yet you've been so aggressive about any other view.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 21, 2016, 12:33:19 pm
behind an All-American then and current starter in the nfl now. Hogville doesn't remember what a darn center looks like. It sucks. We need Big FrankdaTank in the middle. We'll be fine with Wallace @ LT. And, honestly, with the jump I expect from him and Froholdt, that line will be nasty.
He was the backup to Mitch Smothers as a freshmen. I'm not sure Mitch was an All-American. You must be thinking about Swanson?

lakecityhog

I certainly wish that some of you people would think for maybe 5 seconds before you press that POST button!

Fanonthehill is one of MANY parents that frequent this board and for one of you idiots to say anyone but so-and-so is beyond stupid. Think for those 5 seconds about how you would feel if that were your son's name splattered on HV that way!

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgdavis on December 21, 2016, 06:23:59 am
They need to be big, fast, mean and have a nasty attitude for starters 

All starters!

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: hogfooey on December 21, 2016, 12:15:43 pm
If she plays center, put me down as QB.  I will never run a play in the shotgun.
Spider 2 Hide the Banana.....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

tophawg19

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on December 21, 2016, 08:41:37 am
Mary Anne will play center.

just clueless . Mary Ann was a Tight End . Ginger was the wide receiver
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 21, 2016, 10:22:24 pm
just clueless . Mary Ann was a Tight End . Ginger was the wide receiver

da dum tshhh

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on December 21, 2016, 11:12:27 am
I always thought of Mary Anne as more of a tight end.
I always thought of her as more of a sexy Wes Welker.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Wildhog on December 21, 2016, 10:42:59 am
Wagner needs to redshirt.  We HAVE To start redshirting our freshman OL.
You want 27 OL and then you want to shelve em all. Dang man make up your mind already ;D

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Wildhog on December 21, 2016, 10:42:59 am
Wagner needs to redshirt.  We HAVE To start redshirting our freshman OL. 

We have been red shirting our Oline....

Cletus

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 21, 2016, 10:25:17 pm
I always thought of her as more of a sexy Wes Welker.

Oh, I see. Just because she's white, you've got to go comparing her to Wes Welker.🙄
See, what had happened was........

Cletus

December 21, 2016, 11:02:18 pm #83 Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:20:56 pm by Cletus

Would you rather Ragnow win a Rimington, or let Allen get the crap knocked out of him all next year? The center has to know every lineman's job. I'm sure it would be mentally easy for him to play LT. He seems to be very athletic (not the highest priority for center) , , and if he is the best option, he will play there. I'm sure I'd rather have a better record than a Rimington. The trophies don't get you paid. 5 of the 16 Rimington winners were not drafted + a 6th rounder and two 7th rounders. Playing LT can only improve his draft stock, no matter which position he's drafted as.

HoggusMaximus

I was impressed with Gibson late this season, I think he will get a shot at full time starting position.

bennyl08

Quote from: Cletus on December 21, 2016, 11:02:18 pm
Would you rather Ragnow win a Rimington, or let Allen get the crap knocked out of him all next year? The center has to know every lineman's job. I'm sure it would be mentally easy for him to play LT. He seems to be very athletic (not the highest priority for center) , , and if he is the best option, he will play there. I'm sure I'd rather have a better record than a Rimington. The trophies don't get you paid. 5 of the 16 Rimington winners were not drafted + a 6th rounder and two 7th rounders. Playing LT can only improve his draft stock, no matter which position he's drafted as.

Tell that to Kirkland... Kirkland was sitting in a very, very similar situation to Ragnow with two full seasons of starting under his belt and considered one of the top talents in the country at a position on the inside of the OL. Kirkland kicked out to LT for his junior season where he was able to showcase to NFL scouts everything that he was weakest at while minimizing what he was best at. Couple that with a poor showing at the combine and you have a recipe for an undrafted razorback despite that he has actually been on the raider's 53 man roster. It would be like an accurate quick passer saying "hey, I've got two seasons of tape showing scouts what I can do here, let me spend my last season showing them my deep ball, it can only help." Well, if that qb ends up throwing a lot of picks and completing a small number of passes, NFL teams are only going to remember what you can't do in that situation and will have forgotten how good you are in the quick game.

IF Ragnow moved to LT and was serviceable or worse, then yeah, it absolutely could hurt him draft wise. In Kirkland's case, the team was better off with Kirkland playing out of position at LT than it was with Ragnow at C at the time. Coaches were saying that if Kirkland comes back, they would be putting back at guard where he projected to the NFL. Sure, it is entirely possible that Ragnow at LT and Rogers at C is better than Ragnow at C and Wallace/Jackson/Ramirez at LT. However, it most definitely is possible that if that is the case, Ragnow's draft stock will drop for playing out of position. Don't even have to remember more than 2 years ago to find evidence of what you say is impossible from our very own team.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Cletus

Denver Kirkland is Denver Kirkland. Frank Ragnow is Frank Ragnow. Have you seen the difference in physique and agility between those two individuals? Kirkland was a great Razorback, but he was never cut out to be a LT. Surely you don't believe that NFL scouts only look at the last season, not the total body of work.

a0ashle

If Ragnow to LT wasn't hogville's idea, ya'll would lose your mind at coach for moving people out of their positions.

Wildhog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 22, 2016, 09:21:08 am
If Ragnow to LT wasn't hogville's idea, ya'll would lose your mind at coach for moving people out of their positions.

Uh, the coaching staff has already proven they have no qualms with players switching positions.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 21, 2016, 10:30:26 pm
You want 27 OL and then you want to shelve em all. Dang man make up your mind already ;D

That's exactly what I want.  A line full of redshirt juniors and seniors. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

Quote from: Wildhog on December 22, 2016, 09:57:52 am
Uh, the coaching staff has already proven they have no qualms with players switching positions.

Oh I know, my point is this board would have pitchforks out if it this particular move wasn't such a pet desire of many on hogville. It's a common complaint against CBB that he is willing to move players around. ( for the record, I don't think it is a good complaint).

Wildhog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 22, 2016, 10:25:48 am
Oh I know, my point is this board would have pitchforks out if it this particular move wasn't such a pet desire of many on hogville. It's a common complaint against CBB that he is willing to move players around. ( for the record, I don't think it is a good complaint).

I just want to field the best line we can.  If our tackles are so bad that we have to move Ragnow over, so be it.  I hope that's not the case, as I'd like our players to be able to play their best position, but our piss poor OL recruiting is getting in the way.
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

Quote from: Wildhog on December 22, 2016, 10:27:27 am
I just want to field the best line we can.  If our tackles are so bad that we have to move Ragnow over, so be it.  I hope that's not the case, as I'd like our players to be able to play their best position, but our piss poor OL recruiting is getting in the way.

I actually want the same thing. I think the difference stems from a combination of how bad we perceive the next up LT talent to be vs next up C talent and the difference in importance of the C position vs LT.

(Not saying C > LT, but I don't think it's as big a gap as people assume based on NFL salaries, there are more factors that go into NFL salary )

Wildhog

Quote from: a0ashle on December 22, 2016, 10:34:26 am
I actually want the same thing. I think the difference stems from a combination of how bad we perceive the next up LT talent to be vs next up C talent and the difference in importance of the C position vs LT.

(Not saying C > LT, but I don't think it's as big a gap as people assume based on NFL salaries, there are more factors that go into NFL salary )

I don't give two wet farts about future NFL salary.  I want to win college football games, and we're not doing enough of that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs958

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on December 21, 2016, 11:31:11 am
Goober post. In fact, may be Hall of Fame material for ignorant posts.

Yeah, just anyone can replace an All SEC and ALL American lineman. How do people even come up with this nonsense?

I think most who bash him just remember the costly penalties from him.

Hogs958

Froholdt is still a major concern for me. I was not impressed with him. He was constantly getting blown off the line.

bennyl08

Quote from: Cletus on December 22, 2016, 07:44:37 am
Denver Kirkland is Denver Kirkland. Frank Ragnow is Frank Ragnow. Have you seen the difference in physique and agility between those two individuals? Kirkland was a great Razorback, but he was never cut out to be a LT. Surely you don't believe that NFL scouts only look at the last season, not the total body of work.

Can you show me anybody who has hinted that they only look at the last season? A great counter example to your claim is Knile. 2 years removed from a productive season, but his top 10 pick level combine performance along with having at least 1 year of elite production led to him being a 3rd round pick. However, they do place emphasis on what you've done recently. You think Tyler Wilson's draft stock wasn't hurt by his senior season? Maybe you argue that Wilson was playing the same position and Kirkland wasn't. Sure, there is some merit to be made, but it wasn't like he was playing DT or something.

As an OL player, if you can play LT and do so well in college, I can't think of any scenario where that would hurt your draft stock. Heck, Bailey has made some spot starts at LT in the NFL when he was only ever a guard here in college. However, when you don't remotely project as a tackle at the next level, you are better off making all conference and all american lists at the position you project to than playing just well enough at a higher priority position for the sake of playing that position. If you playing there is what's best for the team then so be it.

As for Ragnow inherently, sure, he's more athletic than Ragnow. However, is he tackle athletic? Given that we have had a lack of tackle talent and a surplus of G/C talent, and Ragnow does not appear to have sniffed a tackle position, well, I trust the coaches. Kirkland was our best pass blocker as far as technique went. Kirkland at tackle and Smothers at C was a better combo than Wallace at tackle and Ragnow at C at the time. Will the same hold true for Ragnow? Time will tell. I think we have 3 SEC ready tackles in Wallace, Jackson, and Ramirez. So, hopefully, we can maximize a player's unique abilities rather than forcing them out of position due to necessity.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogs958 on December 22, 2016, 11:19:04 am
Froholdt is still a major concern for me. I was not impressed with him. He was constantly getting blown off the line.
In pass pro yes. He was a beast in run blocking especially when he knew who to block and got his hands on you. His main problem was inexperience and knowing who to block.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 23, 2016, 11:17:25 am
In pass pro yes. He was a beast in run blocking especially when he knew who to block and got his hands on you. His main problem was inexperience and knowing who to block.
He definitely got better as the year went on. He was running all over the place and laying defenders out in the Florida game.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 21, 2016, 12:58:43 pm
Which is why you give it a shot.  No one here has said anything more than that yet you've been so aggressive about any other view.
+1