Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who replaces Skipper

Started by HoggusMaximus, December 21, 2016, 06:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 23, 2016, 11:17:25 am
In pass pro yes. He was a beast in run blocking especially when he knew who to block and got his hands on you. His main problem was inexperience and knowing who to block.

Exactly.  If the lightbulb comes on in the offseason regarding pass pro, he can be good overall and be dominant in the run game.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 21, 2016, 09:26:50 pm
I certainly wish that some of you people would think for maybe 5 seconds before you press that POST button!

Fanonthehill is one of MANY parents that frequent this board and for one of you idiots to say anyone but so-and-so is beyond stupid. Think for those 5 seconds about how you would feel if that were your son's name splattered on HV that way!
;)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

factchecker

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 21, 2016, 09:26:50 pm
Think for those 5 seconds about how you would feel if that were your son's name splattered on HV that way!

They can't imagine that scenario.   There is a reason the state of Arkansas is one of the worst at producing football recruits.  Maybe in-state talent would improve if everyone on Hogville would use their "expertise" and teach their kids the game.  Then again, that might be the problem.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogs958

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 23, 2016, 11:17:25 am
In pass pro yes. He was a beast in run blocking especially when he knew who to block and got his hands on you. His main problem was inexperience and knowing who to block.

That's true. He was a good run blocker. Hopefully pass blocking improves with experience.

Cletus

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 22, 2016, 08:58:47 pm
Can you show me anybody who has hinted that they only look at the last season? A great counter example to your claim is Knile. 2 years removed from a productive season, but his top 10 pick level combine performance along with having at least 1 year of elite production led to him being a 3rd round pick. However, they do place emphasis on what you've done recently. You think Tyler Wilson's draft stock wasn't hurt by his senior season? Maybe you argue that Wilson was playing the same position and Kirkland wasn't. Sure, there is some merit to be made, but it wasn't like he was playing DT or something.

As an OL player, if you can play LT and do so well in college, I can't think of any scenario where that would hurt your draft stock. Heck, Bailey has made some spot starts at LT in the NFL when he was only ever a guard here in college. However, when you don't remotely project as a tackle at the next level, you are better off making all conference and all american lists at the position you project to than playing just well enough at a higher priority position for the sake of playing that position. If you playing there is what's best for the team then so be it.

As for Ragnow inherently, sure, he's more athletic than Ragnow. However, is he tackle athletic? Given that we have had a lack of tackle talent and a surplus of G/C talent, and Ragnow does not appear to have sniffed a tackle position, well, I trust the coaches. Kirkland was our best pass blocker as far as technique went. Kirkland at tackle and Smothers at C was a better combo than Wallace at tackle and Ragnow at C at the time. Will the same hold true for Ragnow? Time will tell. I think we have 3 SEC ready tackles in Wallace, Jackson, and Ramirez. So, hopefully, we can maximize a player's unique abilities rather than forcing them out of position due to necessity.

Mmmm, maybe your statements and about Kirkland in the post just previous to mine that you quoted?
"Tell that to Kirkland... Kirkland was sitting in a very, very similar situation to Ragnow with two full seasons of starting under his belt and considered one of the top talents in the country at a position on the inside of the OL. Kirkland kicked out to LT for his junior season where he was able to showcase to NFL scouts everything that he was weakest at while minimizing what he was best at. Couple that with a poor showing at the combine and you have a recipe for an undrafted razorback despite that he has actually been on the raider's 53 man roster. It would be like an accurate quick passer saying "hey, I've got two seasons of tape showing scouts what I can do here, let me spend my last season showing them my deep ball, it can only help." Well, if that qb ends up throwing a lot of picks and completing a small number of passes, NFL teams are only going to remember what you can't do in that situation and will have forgotten how good you are in the quick game."
See, what had happened was........

lutherheggs

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 21, 2016, 06:17:05 am
Simple question, who does everyone think ends up in Dans spot this coming up season.
New recruit named Dan Tripper.