Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you have begun college after your fall semester of your senior year of HS?

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 20, 2016, 09:56:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

If you could go back and do it again, would you have left high school for college at midterm?

The U of A has all these footballers doing this, and it made me think about my own experience.

My last semester of high school, all in all, was a waste of time. My final-semester grades made no difference really, except for my final high school GPA, which didn't matter until a couple of employers strangely asked for the information. Already had college admission and scholarships locked up, based on already-booked academic performance.

My last semester of high school was even light on credit hours. Spent my time, mainly, chasing girls.

I wish I could have started college right then. Anybody else feel that way?
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 20, 2016, 09:56:54 am
If you could go back and do it again, would you have left high school for college at midterm?

The U of A has all these footballers doing this, and it made me think about my own experience.

My last semester of high school, all in all, was a waste of time. My final-semester grades made no difference really, except for my final high school GPA, which didn't matter until a couple of employers strangely asked for the information. Already had college admission and scholarships locked up, based on already-booked academic performance.

My last semester of high school was even light on credit hours. Spent my time, mainly, chasing girls.

As a normal student, no. As a player and being on scholarship, getting a chance to get enrolled, start a off season conditioning program, gain strength and a jump-start on learning the systems, you bet.
Go Hogs Go!

Dropkick

island hog

Of ourse not... After football season came baseball and track for me. The last semester in high school was five months I'd never be able to get back.

lstewart

Been a LONG time ago, but I remember being really burned out and antsy to get finished as the spring semester went along. Not sure how focused I would have been on college classes without the break. That said, I did go to college to play a sport, which I was completely focused on. So if I could have started then, knowing I would be part of the team and practice, I'm sure I would have jumped at it.

majestic

I finished HS after my 11th grade year, credit-wise. I had been taking additional coursework after hours and during the summer to join my then girlfriend overseas.  We broke up over the summer :(  My options were to start college or finish HS. I finished HS, taking all AP classes.  I wish I'd have started college.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

elksnort

My second semester of my senior year in high school was not productive.

jgphillips3

I was so ready to get on with the next phase of life and so tired of high school, I probably would have...had it ever occurred to me.

hogsanity

No, because i was playing basketball in HS and I would not have wanted to miss the 2nd half of the season.

Now, my son is facing what you described, he's got his scholarships locked up and has already been accepted at the school of his choice, but with AP classes he is still getting some college credit. But yea, his last semester is going to be a series of band trips, trips with friends, and very little actual school.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: majestic on December 20, 2016, 10:32:46 am
I finished HS after my 11th grade year, credit-wise. I had been taking additional coursework after hours and during the summer to join my then girlfriend overseas.  We broke up over the summer :(  My options were to start college or finish HS. I finished HS, taking all AP classes.  I wish I'd have started college.

We didn't have AP classes back then in Rogers. Having those would have changed a lot for me.

Going into senior year, I thought the last semester would be a big deal. So many people had only a few classes + worked a lot, we did not hang out much except at big weekend parties.

Back in the day, my rock band hosted a 15-keg party out near Beaver Lake. The sheriff's deputies showed up to ensure order. Don't imagine they would put up with a bunch of high school kids openly drinking beer anymore.
[CENSORED]!

311Hog

Quote from: elksnort on December 20, 2016, 10:34:03 am

but it sure was fun amirite !

tough call on this one.  Didn't have AP classes or anything like that back then so i am not sure i would trade the goofing off and fun i had during this time because i didn't leave town for college until several years later when i transferred to the hill.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 20, 2016, 11:04:25 am
We didn't have AP classes back then in Rogers. Having those would have changed a lot for me.

Going into senior year, I thought the last semester would be a big deal. So many people had only a few classes + worked a lot, we did not hang out much except at big weekend parties.

Back in the day, my rock band hosted a 15-keg party out near Beaver Lake. The sheriff's deputies showed up to ensure order. Don't imagine they would put up with a bunch of high school kids openly drinking beer anymore.

My entire last year of Hs I took 4 classes. English, Algebra 2, Coaches aide, and Computer Programming. Had to have 4 to play ball. I left every day at 11 and did not go back until 2. All we did in computer was write graphics programs and play games ( this was 87-88 some pc games were still pretty crude ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 20, 2016, 11:37:25 am
My entire last year of Hs I took 4 classes. English, Algebra 2, Coaches aide, and Computer Programming. Had to have 4 to play ball. I left every day at 11 and did not go back until 2. All we did in computer was write graphics programs and play games ( this was 87-88 some pc games were still pretty crude ).

you have died of dysentery

hogsanity

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

ChitownHawg

I wouldn't have. I went from high school to the Navy and then college. Going straight from high school would have been a waste of good money for me. I simply wasn't mature enough and the Navy took care of that.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

All I needed my Senior year was English as 4 core years was required back then and it would have been unusual for anyone to have taken Junior and Senior English at the same time.  Doubt I would have been allowed.

That said, I wanted to finish basketball and play baseball which was my best way to assistance in college.  If I had a football schollie and the school wanted me early, I would have gone.

BigE_23

I would be the opposite. If I could do it all over again I would have opted for a gap-year

elksnort

Quote from: 311Hog on December 20, 2016, 11:08:09 am
but it sure was fun amirite !

tough call on this one.  Didn't have AP classes or anything like that back then so i am not sure i would trade the goofing off and fun i had during this time because i didn't leave town for college until several years later when i transferred to the hill.
Getting out at 11 am and then......well. I am not going to bust myself out too much on Hogville. Let us just say that I did not get much done. I worked until the winter season was over then became a slacker.

Jackrabbit Hog

This begs the question......would a home schooled kid leave home a semester early?  I mean, it would mean missing all those great teachers, all those good looking gals to chase (hey, some sisters are attractive, you know..), and all that other stuff.  Tough choice.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2016, 10:08:33 am
As a normal student, no. As a player and being on scholarship, getting a chance to get enrolled, start a off season conditioning program, gain strength and a jump-start on learning the systems, you bet.
Exactly this...  Hard to compare a student with a student athlete when it comes to this.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

oldfart

jm

Who knows. It was a different world. School let out on Friday for the county fair. There we classes where one could learn welding, auto repair, or building trades. Summer workouts paid $.10 per bale. There was no such a thing as a water break during practice.

Seebs

If the college would have asked I would have tried. I was lucky to graduate High School. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

V-town Hog

I would listen to my coach, leave early, and walk-on for the Hogs. I didn't have confidence then that I could do it.

ricepig

Nope, I wouldn't have been All State in basketball. My then girlfriend left after her 11th grade year to come to Fayetteville after me, unfortunately for her, I had moved on.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: elksnort on December 20, 2016, 10:34:03 am

My first semester in college was quite forgettable too. Guess I could've gotten a jump start on partying!

DeltaBoy

I was offered to College at UALR my Jr Year and I would have been at UALR and skipped my SR Year all together.  I was advised not to do so and I would up going to a JR College for 2 years then  on to UALR.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

I took two college courses my senior year of high school. Psychology and English Comp. But Heck and No for skipping summer break.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

oldbear

I would have left in a heartbeat if it would have been available. It just didn't happen back then. I would have loved to have one session of spring practice behind me. I was also completely burned out with high school and gave much less effort that last semester. I regret that part and it wouldn't have happened had I moved on.

Adam Stokes

Shoot, I skipped my final year with AP classes to boot. We say kids are immature but then get upset when we keep them in places that will stunt their maturity.

Piggfoot

I could not leave. There was no early graduation in my day. No AP classes. I guess we were dumber back then.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Kig

Heck no.  It was that 6 months+ summer that made all of it worthwhile. 

Actually, pretty sure if I was in charge there would be a mandatory year between HS and College where kids could work, screw around, take a breath and find themselves before rushing headlong into a career path and a major (that many end up changing because they have no idea what they want to be).  With advancements in Healthcare, we live longer, but we always seem to be in such a rush to get "there", wherever there is...
Poker Porker

tusksincolorado

Loved my folks....but could not wait to move out of their house!

But nobody told me that they wouldn't let me move back in afterwards!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hogz87

If I had a football or basketball scholarship to a D1 program, especially one in a P5 conference, then probably.  I do remember the second semester of my senior year being some of hte most fun I've ever had because, like the OP said, it was mostly a waste of time.  College was already decided and handled for the most part so the academic side of school was practically pointless.  After basketball season was over in March, I basically had five free periods (athletics, teacher's aide, journalism, two blow-off classes) and two real classes.  I spent most of the spring semester of my senior year hanging out in the gym and leaving an hour early most days because athletics 7th period was done because I didn't play any spring sports.

But yeah, if I had a football scholarship to an SEC school, and had the opportunity to enroll for the spring semester of what was supposed to be my senior year, then I'd probably do it.  It'd give me a head start on the other incoming freshmen, an extra semester to get stronger, eat the way I should be eating, and the opportunity to graduate college early.

cityhog

Not only yes, but H3LL yes! I couldn't wait to get away from H.S. Never been to reunion and never will.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

For a full ride and getting out of HS, I would have leapt at the chance.

EFBAB

Hogs958

I had too much fun that spring and summer before the 1st Fall semester of college. Too much fun probably

HogBreath

Quote from: Hogs958 on December 21, 2016, 05:16:45 pm
I had too much fun that spring and summer before the 1st Fall semester of college. Too much fun probably
Yep..exactly.  I've noticed the trend towards doing that and just see it as a bad idea.  Let the youngsters enjoy what they have earned, they've got the rest of their lives for this other horse manure.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

sage_dragoon

I actually graduated at mid term my senior year of high school. They changed the rules on seniors after that at my school. They only offered 12th grade english in the spring semester to prevent early grads. I just worked and saved money until the fall semester of college came around.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

bennyl08

They didn't have the finalists for the fellowship I won decided until early March. So, graduating early wouldn't have mattered. Plus, I simultaneously enjoyed school and had fun. College was always going to be there waiting, but there was only so much time to enjoy HS.

As others have mentioned, if the future of my career would have bee substantially improved by me leaving early, then one has to at least stop and consider it. In general, my advice is that you have the rest of you life to work, enjoy youth while you have it. However, for something like football, the clock is ticking. At that point, you have to ask yourself what si most important to you? If you don't make it to the NFL, all you have accomplished is missing out on HS. If you hate HS, no harm no foul. However, if you think the NFL is a possibility for you, then that extra semester will greatly help you be a 3 and done or when you enter your final year of eligibility, you will be that much better.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hoggish1

BadHog

No but I would have stretched my years on the hill out a little longer!! I got two degrees and it still didn't last long enough.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Cinco de Hogo

Wasn't an option for me but it had been I would have left early for The Razorbacks.   I attended the smallest school in Arkansas and we only had basketball.   After BB was over school became a big bore.  I was really ready to move on.   The problem was, we were so poor and our school did a terrible job preparing kids for college I just barely knew it was an option.   The problem wasn't smarts, I've since attended some college, it was knowledge.  This is what recruiting brings kids leaving early, knowledge that it can be done.