Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Staff changes coming?

Started by rhog1, December 19, 2016, 03:06:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-hints-possible-staff-changes/

Looks like there may be some assistant coaches moving on after the bowls. Hopefully we can get Partridge back.

ricepig

Quote from: rhog1 on December 19, 2016, 03:06:15 pm
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-hints-possible-staff-changes/

Looks like there may be some assistant coaches moving on after the bowls. Hopefully we can get Partridge back.

When has SDS been correct on anything, much less anything pertaining to Arkansas?

BigE_23

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2016, 03:10:33 pm
When has SDS been correct on anything, much less anything pertaining to Arkansas?
Well...SDS is only quoting Hogville's own Razorback Nation. Surely you're not insinuating that they would report something inaccurately ;)

CBB is being quoted as saying, "he expects something to come up after the bowl." Sounds like someone is going to be taking another job. Hope to the Lord above that it's Robb Smith.

ricepig

Quote from: BigE_23 on December 19, 2016, 03:29:32 pm
Well...SDS is only quoting Hogville's own Razorback Nation. Surely you're not insinuating that they would report something inaccurately ;)

CBB is being quoted as saying, "he expects something to come up after the bowl." Sounds like someone is going to be taking another job. Hope to the Lord above that it's Robb Smith.

I take it you didn't actually listen to the PC? I believe the context was, earlier some people called about some of my staff, but nothing became of it.

The_Boot_stops_here

I would actually be more relieved to see Segrest replaced than Smith although losing both wouldn't hurt my feelings

BigE_23

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2016, 03:32:39 pm
I take it you didn't actually listen to the PC? I believe the context was, earlier some people called about some of my staff, but nothing became of it.

You'd be wrong.

He clearly went on to say "I expect some things after the bowl game to pop up." It's mere inference...speculation. Nothing more - but still there's HOPE!!!!!

Sounds like BB thinks that someone, somewhere, might hire some of our staff away and then we would replace them.

Anyone hiring anyone on our staff believes one of three things.  1.  I believe I can get more from this assistant than Coach B. has.  2.  I think this assistant better fits what I plan to do.  3.  I just don't care.

Potosihog

Quote from: 12247 on December 19, 2016, 07:26:46 pm
Anyone hiring anyone on our staff believes one of three things.  1.  I believe I can get more from this assistant than Coach B. has.  2.  I think this assistant better fits what I plan to do.  3.  I just don't care.

Or 4. They are hiring one of the good assistants and we get stuck with the others.

PorkRinds

4. They know way more about football than the hogville expert.

hogfanny

Quote from: Potosihog on December 19, 2016, 07:49:06 pm
Or 4. They are hiring one of the good assistants and we get stuck with the others.
or 5 a recruiting ploy.

AirWarren

6. Bret bielema should go to hogville for recruiting advice/coaching advice.

onebadrubi

It doesn't fit your agenda but alma matter also could hire someone away. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: bythelake on December 19, 2016, 09:06:32 pm
Nay, we have some on here that don't have to be drunk to be that rude.

I mean I'm used to him being outlandish. It's just his grammar and punctuation that tell me he's wasted tonight. Barely making sense and he's usually pretty eloquent in his griping like a sissy.

Calling All Hogs

Robb Smith is scheduled to make around $850,000 next year so I doubt he is voluntarily moving on. He will never come close to making that kind of money ever again.

Pork Twain

I hope the two RSs find a new home
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 20, 2016, 12:11:58 pm
I hope the two RSs find a new home

I hope we keep our redshirt guys but that's just me.   ;)

FrozenHam

Does Robb Smith have any buyout clause in his contract with UA?

ricepig

Quote from: FrozenHam on December 20, 2016, 05:21:35 pm
Does Robb Smith have any buyout clause in his contract with UA?

Just the $850,000 he's owed next year.

Youngsta71701

For the Coach B haters that want him gone anytime soon. Sorry...It isn't happening... :) ...So just sit back put all your support in the Hogs, the in state high school football programs, and lets see how big we can build this thing. The Arkansas brand. "Get your popcorn ready". In my TO voice.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/College-coaches-who-will-be-on-the-hotseat-with-a-bad-2017-seaso-49932247?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=161220_131536_Arkansas%20Razorbacks&utm_content=Image

7. Bret Bielema, Arkansas

Record: 25-25 in four seasons

2016: 7-5 (Belk Bowl vs. Virginia Tech)

2017 247Sports class ranking: No. 22 (20 commits)

Arkansas continues to float around the 6-8-win mark under Bielema, which is bound to soon rankle Razorbacks fans. They'll clamor for someone to at least flirt with 10-plus-win seasons, at least occasionally put them in position to compete for the division. After all, Bobby Petrino had approached that level before he rode off to Western Kentucky.

For now, a $15 million buyout makes the conversation a nonstarter. That figure reportedly drops to about $12 million after the 2017 season and then about $8 million after 2018.

As opposed to A&M, Bielema's teams had typically finished strong, but the Hogs dropped three of five down the stretch in 2016. In particular, the second-half flop against Missouri left a bad taste in fans' mouths. If Virginia Tech drops the Hogs to 7-6, pressure will begin to mount.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pork Twain

This man just needs time to build this the right way.  When you take over a media and recruiting train wreck and you pride yourself on building through redshirting and walk-ons, it will not be anything close to a quick turnaround.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 21, 2016, 05:34:39 am
This man just needs time to build this the right way.  When you take over a media and recruiting train wreck and you pride yourself on building through redshirting and walk-ons, it will not be anything close to a quick turnaround.
+1, I would like to piggy back off this if I may. Everyone wants a microwave dinner nowadays. No one wants to take the time and make a good old home cooked old school meal.

With this being said I will still feel a little pessimistic if we don't get rid of Coach Smith. Although the fact that we're at least talking about making some kind of change to try to get better (the 3-4 defense) gives me some kind of hope.

Although I think personally we would have been much better running the 4-3 if we would have made one simple change upfront. And that's widen out our DE's.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 19, 2016, 04:07:54 pm
I would actually be more relieved to see Segrest replaced than Smith although losing both wouldn't hurt my feelings
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 19, 2016, 09:25:35 pm
Robb Smith is scheduled to make around $850,000 next year so I doubt he is voluntarily moving on. He will never come close to making that kind of money ever again.

This is what happens when you "open up the checkbook" to keep an assistant after a good season.

IntegrityHog

Very unlikely we see any staff changes after the bowel.  I think CBB will be loyal to his guys and will give them another year to get it turned around.

Pork Twain

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 21, 2016, 08:04:24 am
Very unlikely we see any staff changes after the bowel.  I think CBB will be loyal to his guys and will give them another year to get it turned around.
He has shown several times in the past that he is loyal to the university first and putting the best staff together, and to his staff second.

PonderinHog

You don't expect any "movement?"

Dominicanhog

I made  comments during the season we'd have changes based on our defensive performance .. I speculated Rhoads and Partridge would take their places..

Now, with the possible addition of a 10th coach, I see a scenario where there is no change.. but one never knows in coaching...

IntegrityHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 21, 2016, 08:12:38 am
You don't expect any "movement?"

I don't think so.  CBB is too firm in his position.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 21, 2016, 08:19:12 am
I don't think so.  CBB is too firm in his position.
So you are saying Bielema is constipated?  ;D

Dominicanhog

Quote from: go hogues on December 21, 2016, 08:21:51 am
My guess is we'll lose Enos.

not quite a Harley in the ditch, but close.... let's hope not...

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

Jim Harris

what do you base any of that on? a late opening for a head coach somewhere? Otherwise, he has almost an entire offense returning and adding more weapons; might make more sense to stay put.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

goodguytex

Where is he going?? As OC? HC?? College?? NFL??

Where did you hear he's going?

Torqued pork

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 21, 2016, 05:34:39 am
If we have to depend on walk-ons to make substantial contributions the time Bielema will need is infinite. I just don't see it working in a conference where a 20-something overall recruiting ranking will only put you in the bottom third of the conference year after year. I hope I'm wrong.

a0ashle

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 21, 2016, 10:13:37 am
If we have to depend on walk-ons to make substantial contributions the time Bielema will need is infinite. I just don't see it working in a conference where a 20-something overall recruiting ranking will only put you in the bottom third of the conference year after year. I hope I'm wrong.

It only puts you in the bottom third in recruiting season, not football season. To outperform recruiting you have to develop talent. No one depends on Walk-ons (unless you are seeing injuries) , that's silly. What isn't silly is paying attention to walk ons as they expand your pool of potential hidden gems talent development wise and don't cost a scholly until they earn it.

Torqued pork

Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 10:21:56 am
It only puts you in the bottom third in recruiting season, not football season. To outperform recruiting you have to develop talent. No one depends on Walk-ons (unless you are seeing injuries) , that's silly. What isn't silly is paying attention to walk ons as they expand your pool of potential hidden gems talent development wise and don't cost a scholly until they earn it.
Quote from: a0ashle on December 21, 2016, 10:21:56 am
I'm pretty sure Bielema isn't the only SEC coach who knows how to develop talent and I'm not sure he's even the best at it which almost seems a given among many on here. I just accept he's our coach for the foreseeable future for better or worse.

Tusks

I just don't know how you can coach the worst defense since the forward pass became legal and get to keep ones job.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 21, 2016, 09:35:34 am
what do you base any of that on? a late opening for a head coach somewhere? Otherwise, he has almost an entire offense returning and adding more weapons; might make more sense to stay put.

I heard he is introducing the 23 Skeedoo next year.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Extremely unlikely. Since he can't go to another SEC school that leaves about 5 schools that can pay Enos more. Almost all those schools don't run a pro style offense

HOGINTENNESSEE

Considering that has never happened in CBB Head Coaching career, I would call that unlikely.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 21, 2016, 10:13:37 am
We are never going to out-recruit anyone so we have to have a low miss-rate and develop our talent.  You can turn a 3-star recruit out of HS into a 5-star player as a Jr/Sr with a top-notch developmental program.  What you cannot do is make kids magically start wanting to come here.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 21, 2016, 01:21:26 pm
We are never going to out-recruit anyone so we have to have a low miss-rate and develop our talent.  You can turn a 3-star recruit out of HS into a 5-star player as a Jr/Sr with a top-notch developmental program.  What you cannot do is make kids magically start wanting to come here.

Fantastic post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Our recruiting efforts between now and signing day (less the "half class" already signed and ready to start in January) is very heavily tethered to the coaching and recruiting of Segrest and Smith. I suspect they'll stick around until signing day and then find a new gig or be reassigned/let go. It is a slimy trick that I've bagged on when others do it but it may be the safest way to let go of a coach.

Else, you are hoping that you can do the "due diligence" of firing and filling AND keep recruits interested OR hire a position coach who is charismatic enough to lure recruits with them. That just doesn't happen very often.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TrueBlue

Name the last time (or all of the times) Arkansas hasn't replaced ANY assistant coaches on staff from one year to the next. It hasn't happened many times in the last three decades.

Point being: it is just the nature of the industry.

Hawg Life

jackflash

my view on staff changes is depends on who you hire.

Hugo Bezdek

We have exactly one assistant from Bielema's original staff at Arkansas. Anyone who says he's too loyal to his assistants hasn't been paying attention. What he hasn't done is make a big scene of pushing people out.

murthage

Hugo...

Very strong message, and well said.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++