Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's Preseason PC

Started by ricepig, January 27, 2018, 10:37:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

Great to hear about McKinney.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bulldog04

DVH sure knows how to get fans fired up. He basically said we have no weaknesses.

ucahogfan

Always enjoy a DVH press conference.  He tells it like it is so you know what he thinks about this team.  A few of the most encouraging things I heard:

-  McKinney is on track and has been up to 93.  Last time he was throwing 93 was in San Diego for the PG All-American Game and no one could touch him.  If he is consistently 90+, you are talking about a potential AA type arm with that change.  Also made it sound like he had added a good curveball.  That is the makeup of a weekend starter.

-  Scroggins is back on track and almost caught up to McKinney.  Who knows, but he might be back at full strength by SEC play.  Adds another 90+ arm to the back end of the pen.  Sounded like last year he was going to be our top arm out of the pen.

-  Good to hear Koch has gotten stronger and will definitely get some rest this year.  Could be a 15-20 HR type guy with rest so he doesn't wear down over the year.  Also have some solid defenders backing him up in Opitz and Plunkett.

-  Sounds like both Biggers and Cole are bigger and stronger than last year.  They were our two most consistent hitters down the stretch and sounds like they could be primed for huge junior seasons.  Wouldn't be surprised to see both of them hit .350+ this year with a lot of extra base hits.

-  Made it sound like this team might have more power than expected.  Hit 3 HRs with that typical strong wind blowing in from RF at about 20 MPH including Casey Martin hitting one to LCF and Bonfield hitting one over the seats in LF.

-  Sounds like a closer has not been settled on, but it is not like we are lacking options.  Could go with Bonnin who is 95-96 with an upper 80s slider which DVH said makes him just filthy.  Cronin is 90-94, but DVH called it the "Invisa-Fastball" meaning that hitters really struggle to pick it up.  We saw that last year against Florida in Hoover when they stood no chance with his fastball.  Rutledge is another option with a 93+ fastball and plus breaking ball which he throws for strikes, but also has some wildness which scares hitter just enough to be effective.

-  Turney sounds like a guy who could lead the country in HRs during his career at Arkansas.  Spanberger power plus is just scary.

-  DVH really likes this freshmen class both on the mound and at the plate.  On the mound, you have Rutledge, Bonnin, Ramage, Bolden, and Milligan who could all contribute this year while it sounds like Turney, Kjerstad, Martin, and Opitz will get quite a few ABs.

-  Encouraging to hear Shaddy has adjusted his swing to add more backspin.  Feel like he could be a 12-15 HR type guy with more backspin if not more.  He has hit 8 each of the last two years struggling to consistently lift the ball.

ucahogfan

Wanted to add one more thing.  Said Fletcher is going to be pitched around a lot, but I wouldn't pitch around him.  I know he is going to be one of the top hitters in the country this year, but it is not like he won't be surrounded by hitters who can make you pay.

Let's just say you bat him 2nd in a lineup which looks like:

1.  Biggers - SS
2.  Fletcher - CF
3.  Cole - RF
4.  Bonfield - DH
5.  Koch - C
6.  Kjerstad - LF
7.  Shaddy - 2B
8.  Lee / McFarland - 1B
9.  Gates / Kenley / Martin - 3B

You can pitch around Fletcher, but that might be the deepest lineup we have ever had at Arkansas.

Amityvillehogger

The comment about Turney having Spanbomb power plus... wow.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

bulldog04

His demeanor was different when talking about Fletcher, Campbell, KM, Biggers, Koch, Ramage, and Turney.  I'm excited about seeing this Ramage breaking ball. He alluded to Fletcher having a Benni year and said that Biggers will be gone after this year. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 27, 2018, 09:53:09 pm
His demeanor was different when talking about Fletcher, Campbell, KM, Biggers, Koch, Ramage, and Turney.  I'm excited about seeing this Ramage breaking ball. He alluded to Fletcher having a Benni year and said that Biggers will be gone after this year.
Biggers is a junior and a top 100 college draft prospect right now.  He can stick defensively at SS at the next level IMO and if he hits .350 with at least 8 HRs, I think you are looking at a potential 1st round pick.  Having Biggers hit .350 this year is not a big leap for him at all and DVH made it sound like he is a lot stronger this year.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 27, 2018, 10:34:05 pm
Biggers is a junior and a top 100 college draft prospect right now.  He can stick defensively at SS at the next level IMO and if he hits .350 with at least 8 HRs, I think you are looking at a potential 1st round pick.  Having Biggers hit .350 this year is not a big leap for him at all and DVH made it sound like he is a lot stronger this year.
Biggers is a ball player.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Knot2brite

Anyone that didn't show back up this semester that was a surprise
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required