Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Saunders just said..

Started by razorhead94, December 06, 2008, 07:10:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead94

That Florida should not be able to jump Texas in the BCS.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

songofthesword

and so it begins.

I think they should becuase I will never agree with a team playing for the title without winning their conference, however unfair that may be.

HogBreath

The Gators are probably playing the best of anyone down the stretch, so yeah, don't want them back in the BCS game.  I think Ohio State should get to pick who they play this year.  Maybe Akron or Dayton, Miami of Ohio perhaps.

Just kidding.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

berryhog

Quote from: razorhead94 on December 06, 2008, 07:10:32 pm

Just as Oklahoma shouldn't jump Texas and why do Texas/Oklahoma jump Alabama ?  This is ridiculous.  However, we won't see any changes until at least 2014 since ESPN will completely be able to control all matchups (even more than now) until then.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Texas Oklahoma we've already seen that game played this year don't want to see it again.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

AnthroHog

One of the reasons I wanted Florida to lose.  Then they couldn't have made up this crap.  I wonder if Mack Brown is going to even put Florida in his top 25.

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on December 06, 2008, 07:21:38 pm
Texas Oklahoma we've already seen that game played this year don't want to see it again.

It would be the greatest title game in history.  The greatest rivalry in college football on the biggest stage in college football.  It would be amazing.

songofthesword

berryhog

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on December 06, 2008, 07:25:09 pm
It would be the greatest title game in history.  The greatest rivalry in college football on the biggest stage in college football.  It would be amazing.

How would that be better than a Florida/Alabama rematch ?

kgr

So ESPN is in the tank for Tex~Ass.  What a bunch of turd breaths.
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

songofthesword

let's just put michigan and norte dame in the title game since it's such a great rivarly

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: songofthesword on December 06, 2008, 07:28:39 pm
let's just put michigan and norte dame in the title game since it's such a great rivarly

I'm sure it would be a great game!  Just trying to figure out who was going to screw up more would be difficult.

SLC

I heard him, he is an idiot.

I'm trying to decide if he really means that or if he was told to say it.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

berryhog

Quote from: songofthesword on December 06, 2008, 07:28:39 pm

The first team to score could be the winner.   :)

whatsshakinbacon

ESPN is just trying to keep from looking too much like they're in the sack with the SEC.  Everyone knows Florida just leapfrogged Texas.  They need to get over it.

Bacon out...

hogsndawgs

A Florida/Alabama rematch would be equally amazing.

songofthesword

how can defense be this bad. you have a clear shot on the QB and you MISS. TWO Guys miss a clear shot on the QB

BigoBoys

Why does this surprise you?   This was expected SEC winner vs OK/TX. 

Tusks

I didn't think two teams from the same conference could play in the BCS title game.....just like a conference can't have more than 2 teams in the multiple BCS bowl games.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Niels Boar

I would have thought that the OSU-Michigan charade would have dispelled the notion that two teams from the same conference should EVER play in the BCS title game.  There are too few games between conferences to say anything definitive about relative conference strength.  The Big 12 needs to prove they can play some defense. My suspicion is that if a conference has two teams deserving to be in the NC there is a reasonable chance they don't have any teams deserving of playing for the NC.  It certainly proved true a couple of years ago.  Bowls should be conference challenges.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: nutted on December 06, 2008, 07:42:26 pm
I didn't think two teams from the same conference could play in the BCS title game.....just like a conference can't have more than 2 teams in the multiple BCS bowl games.
There is no restriction on who plays in the NCG except that they are #1 and #2 in the BCS Poll.  Also conferences have two teams in BCS games every year.

If OU and TX both make the National Championship game, Texas Tech would be the BigXII representative in the BCS game.  This would give them three teams playing and the BigXII would receive a payout around $53 million.

nextlevel

It is clear the two best teams in the country played one another tonight, congrats Florida on the win.

REMATCH!!!

LOL
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

SquidBilly

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 06, 2008, 08:10:31 pm
There is no restriction on who plays in the NCG except that they are #1 and #2 in the BCS Poll.  Also conferences have two teams in BCS games every year.

If OU and TX both make the National Championship game, Texas Tech would be the BigXII representative in the BCS game.  This would give them three teams playing and the BigXII would receive a payout around $53 million.

No if Texas-OU somehow wind up in the BCS title game Texas tech would be left out of the BCS.  A single conference cannot have more than two teams playing in the BCS in a given year. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: nextlevel on December 06, 2008, 08:12:30 pm
It is clear the two best teams in the country played one another tonight, congrats Florida on the win.

REMATCH!!!

LOL

Yes, the SECCG just hosted the top 2 teams in the land.  However, I don't want a rematch of anyone in the same conference.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

berryhog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 06, 2008, 08:15:01 pm
No if Texas-OU somehow wind up in the BCS title game Texas tech would be left out of the BCS.  A single conference cannot have more than two teams playing in the BCS in a given year.

Correct.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on December 06, 2008, 07:35:01 pm
ESPN is just trying to keep from looking too much like they're in the sack with the SEC.  Everyone knows Florida just leapfrogged Texas.  They need to get over it.

Bacon out...

Sure hope you're correct.  It'll be close.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Lake City Hog

I posted last week that this could happen. Folks we need to face the truth, people are tired of the SEC. They are tired of hearing us chant SEC! SEC! Sure, SEC fans are excited at the chance to win another NC, but the rest of America is ready to see someone else in the picture.
If you don't think NCAA football is political you are very naive! Mack Brown is already lobbying all of his contacts as is Pete Carroll, Jim Tressell, Mike Leach and JoePa.

LuckyGiraffe

Oh yeah... I misread the rule.  If Mizzou won the BigXII championship today and OU and TX still made it to the NCG, then Mizzou would get to be the third team in the BCS because they were the automatic qualifier.  I'm not sure you would ever have two at large teams in the NCG, much less from the same conference.

joeyself

If we just compare losses, then Texas lost to TT, a good team (#6 at the time) and on the road.  Florida lost to unranked Ole Miss at home.  Both beat the number one team in the country when given the chance--Oklahoma and Alabama.

I don't mind seeing Texas getting hosed--in fact, I rather enjoy it--but Saunders is not necessarily wrong to hold his opinion.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jhippy

December 06, 2008, 08:24:54 pm #29 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:26:57 pm by jhippy
My bad

SquidBilly

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 06, 2008, 08:19:25 pm
Oh yeah... I misread the rule.  If Mizzou won the BigXII championship today and OU and TX still made it to the NCG, then Mizzou would get to be the third team in the BCS because they were the automatic qualifier.  I'm not sure you would ever have two at large teams in the NCG, much less from the same conference.

Actually in that case the Big12 would not get their automatic qualifier into the BCS.  However if Mizzou were somehow to upset Oklahoma there would be no way Oklahoma would make it in and it would actually hurt Texas as well in the computers.  That might allow a team like USC to slip into the picture or possibly set up a Florida/Alabama rematch.

josh_sec33

Playoff now....please?

I'm tired of this crap.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Hoggish1

I don't think an all star team of OU & Texaas players could be UF. Let them have a rematch of those two teams and my TV won't go on that night!

songofthesword

do you hear these guys trying to manufature a way to get florida out the NC game?

berryhog

Quote from: songofthesword on December 06, 2008, 09:06:33 pm
do you hear these guys trying to manufature a way to get florida out the NC game?

It will only get worse since ESPN/ABC has rights to the BCS until 2014.

HogWild09

If texass plays in the NC i will eat my hat
Well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man..

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: AnthroHog on December 06, 2008, 07:22:44 pm
One of the reasons I wanted Florida to lose.  Then they couldn't have made up this crap.  I wonder if Mack Brown is going to even put Florida in his top 25.
I wouldn't.  His job is to help his team win.  If I were him, I would do everything in my power to get my team in the NCG.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 06, 2008, 08:10:31 pm

I heard an analyst on ESPN's first take a few weeks ago say that if a conference had two teams play for the NCG, then a third team from that conference would be eligible to play in a BCS game.

The specific example he used was that if Texas and OU both played in the NCG, then TT could play in the Fiesta Bowl.

RunnerHog

John is a idiot

Florida will be number 1

judgeroyswine

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on December 06, 2008, 07:35:01 pm

Bacon out...

Even so, I shudder to think what I would give to see Texas beat OU again.  Makes me giddy inside.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

PorkSoda

Thats retarded.  Florida just beat the number one team in the county and Texas didn't play.  of course they jump texas.  this fool is just trying to start $hit
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: judgeroyswine on December 06, 2008, 10:15:19 pm
Even so, I shudder to think what I would give to see Texas beat OU again.  Makes me giddy inside.
Thats as bad as the Michigan - Ohio state crap last year.  If you can't even win your conference you don't deserve a shot at the national title. period end of discussion.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

nextlevel

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2008, 10:48:26 pm
Thats as bad as the Michigan - Ohio state crap last year.  If you can't even win your conference you don't deserve a shot at the national title. period end of discussion.

Bama is undefeated in regular season play, by the Pac10, big"10", and big east standard they are deserving of a rematch in the MNC.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

PorkSoda

Quote from: nextlevel on December 06, 2008, 10:53:18 pm
Bama is undefeated in regular season play, by the Pac10, big"10", and big east standard they are deserving of a rematch in the MNC.
I actually wanted a Bama vs Texas NCG, but neither won thier conference.  you can't say "I'm the national champion" if you are not even the champion of your own conference.  that would be retarted.  as far as the Pac Ten etc, the need to pull their heads out of thier collective arses and have a championship game.

nextlevel

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2008, 10:56:11 pm
I actually wanted a Bama vs Texas NCG, but neither won thier conference.  you can't say "I'm the national champion" if you are not even the champion of your own conference.  that would be retarted.  as far as the Pac Ten etc, the need to pull their heads out of thier collective arses and have a championship game.

So.... Why hold it against Bama and Texas for not "winning" their conference since it's decided by a game instead of record? Bama would have won the SEC and Texas may have by tie breakers based on the Pac10, big "10" and big east model.

ell oh ell

secfan30

I doubt that. It would prob be a one sided boring game that would loose 75% of it's viewers by half. I bet the viewing audience would be small anyway.

TrojanHog

Beating Bama should really help Florida in the computers.  The real fear is that game against The Citadel.  Will it hurt their computer score too much to leap frog Texas?  Polls will probably be OU 1/ Florida 2/ Texas 3.  Texas was a couple of spots ahead of Florida in the computers, so we'll have to wait and see.  I suspect that Florida will play Oklahoma, but there is a chance of an all Big 12 championship.

hawgwash

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2008, 10:48:26 pm
Its actually worse than that.  Texas didn't even win the South DIVISION of the Big 12 conference.

hawgdavis

You all remember last year they said that UGA did not deserve a chance to play for the BS title because they did not win the conference title so they shoud not to play for the BS title. WTH now its ok for Texass. Herbie and the gang need to decide how its going to be. ESPN also picked the Heisman last year. They now have more power in collage sports than the Ncaa.

GoodLuckGus

December 07, 2008, 12:13:46 am #49 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:24:57 am by GoodLuckGus
Quote from: hawgwash on December 06, 2008, 11:28:37 pm
Its actually worse than that.  Texas didn't even win the South DIVISION of the Big 12 conference.

To be fair, they didn't really lose it either.  Just some lame tiebreaker that put it in the virtual hands of CPUs.