Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raymond Cotton, 4 star QB ...

Started by Joe, December 04, 2008, 10:56:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorBassin

I don't even know where to start.  I'll just say I am extremely happy to have a real staff on The Hill and not a cheerleading section.

condohog

Quote from: passinghog on December 05, 2008, 01:30:57 pm
Cotton is a Jason Campbell clone. Not an attempt to down another kid, but his ceiling is much higher than Secord. We have to start thinking in different terms with Petrino at the helm. Cotton may seem a little bit raw, but under Petrino's teaching he could be a superstar.
Definitely a physical stud but I have to think Petrino sees something in Secord. Being a lefty might just be another little wrinkle for the Petrino brothers to throw at you.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: passinghog on December 05, 2008, 01:30:57 pm
Cotton is a Jason Campbell clone. . . . Cotton may seem a little bit raw, but under Petrino's teaching he could be a superstar.

And we know how Petrino did in 02 with Campbell!
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

songofthesword

damn.. i completely forgot about that

"yeah.. that guy who everyone says you are a clone of.. yeah, I put him in the first round in the NFL draft, now he's starting for the redskins.. sign here, and initial here please"

AuburnHog

Guys, Campbell did well when Borges came in not while Petrino was there. 

songofthesword

The Boar War

Quote from: AuburnHog on December 05, 2008, 11:32:04 pm
Guys, Campbell did well when Borges came in not while Petrino was there. 

Sad but true.  I think most Tiger fans hated Campbell until his senior season.  Petrino can talk about his ability to put a qb in the NFL.  It's just not as good an argument when Jason Campbell is the example. 

Auburn Hog I was wondering this the other day (and sorry for being off topic) did Brandon Jacobs come to Auburn when Petrino was there?  He seems to be the perfect Petrino running back.

HawgnCorona

Im sure some of you have also noticed we will have a tall OL...It makes since to have QBs with a some height to see over them.

Hall 6'10"
Oden 6'8"
Freeman 6'7"
Aguirre 6'6"
Grant 6'5'

Yeah i would say the short QBs  might have some trouble seeing just where to throw the ball...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

AuburnHog

Quote from: The Boar War on December 05, 2008, 11:46:27 pm
Sad but true.  I think most Tiger fans hated Campbell until his senior season.  Petrino can talk about his ability to put a qb in the NFL.  It's just not as good an argument when Jason Campbell is the example. 

Auburn Hog I was wondering this the other day (and sorry for being off topic) did Brandon Jacobs come to Auburn when Petrino was there?  He seems to be the perfect Petrino running back.

No I think he was after Petrino.  I don't think Jacobs got there until 2003 and Petrino was there in 2002.  Jacobs didn't get much playing time b/c Ronnie Brown and Cadillac were getting most of the carries. 

songofthesword

actualy im' pretty sure he was there when petrino was there.

jacobs got there the year that petrino was there and they were ranked preseason number 2. the next year they went undefeated and the year after that jacobs was in the nfl

blunt_hawg

Okay, not to be a downer, but why are we going after a QB when we have so many needs on defense.  We'll have Mallet at QB for at least the next two years, Dick and Wilson backing him up and then Secord behind them. 

I would much rather see this schollie go to a DT or DE.  That is where we need the most help...

AuburnHog

Quote from: songofthesword on December 06, 2008, 12:24:38 am
actualy im' pretty sure he was there when petrino was there.

jacobs got there the year that petrino was there and they were ranked preseason number 2. the next year they went undefeated and the year after that jacobs was in the nfl

Petrino was there in 2002.  In  2003, Hugh Nall was OC and they did a nose dive.  2004 was the undefeated season when Borges came in.  I honestly wasn't sure about when Jacobs was there so I looked at his wikipedia page.  I don't think they were there at the same time unless I'm misunderstanding some of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Jacobs

[edit] Early Life
Jacobs was raised in Louisiana where he attended Assumption High School and later Coffeyville (Kansas) Community College. National recruiting service Rivals.com listed Jacobs the No.1 junior college prospect in America in 2003.

[edit] College Career
Jacobs signed with Auburn University but was relegated to third team halfback on the depth chart behind Ronnie Brown and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams. Despite less playing time, Jacobs was second on the team with 72 carries for 446 yards (6.2 yard avg) and three touchdowns. Unhappy with playing time, he transferred to Division I-AA Southern Illinois University for his senior season.[1]

Dances With Hogs

You know JJ when you are not a coach you are a cheerleader.
Quote from: jj1121 on December 05, 2008, 08:32:15 pm
I don't even know where to start.  I'll just say I am extremely happy to have a real staff on The Hill and not a cheerleading section.

Tusks

BP is an offensive guy....which is fricken good to me....I think he will get his offense where he wants it first....then he can get his defense.

I would rather have a top 10 offense and top 30 defense vs. say a top 10 defense and maybe an offense around 50.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: nutted on December 06, 2008, 04:31:01 pm
BP is an offensive guy....which is fricken good to me....I think he will get his offense where he wants it first....then he can get his defense.

I would rather have a top 10 offense and top 30 defense vs. say a top 10 defense and maybe an offense around 50.

It appears to me that he's trying to get both his offense and defense straightened out, and both in a hurry.  I don't think it has occurred to Petrino that he should get his offense in order before he gets the defense where he wants it.  ;)
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

hillhog

Quote from: bassntrucks on December 05, 2008, 09:31:39 am
His parents are looking for a God-fearing man they can trust..... 
Sound like an opportunity for a "right reverend" type Dork to step in, even if he can't be trusted and lies thru his teeth when it serves his purpose???

RazorBassin

The Boar War

Quote from: AuburnHog on December 06, 2008, 12:09:35 am
No I think he was after Petrino.  I don't think Jacobs got there until 2003 and Petrino was there in 2002.  Jacobs didn't get much playing time b/c Ronnie Brown and Cadillac were getting most of the carries. 

Actually that answers the question I meant to ask.  What I was wanted to figure out is if Petrino recruited him?  If Jacobs came in 2003 and Petrino was a coach in 2002 it seems he would have.

jgphillips3

Quote from: ucahardhitter41 on December 04, 2008, 11:34:14 pm
hate to say this, but I actually think it's benefiting us to not be in a bowl, at least recruiting wise.  We're recruiting top level guys and while others are practicing, our staff is sitting in guys living rooms.

I was thinking the same thing, i just didn't want to say it

Yeah, I got flamed to hell posting such an absurd thought just after our season ended.  You have to always be careful when posting logical thoughts that fly in the face of emotion.