Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kiffin already making noise in UT recruiting

Started by Music City Hog, December 03, 2008, 08:54:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

I find this interesting.  Kiffin not honoring the commitment of a recruit, 4 star QB Tahj Boyd.  He was supposed to be one of their biggest recruits, but apparently he isnt gonna fit in to Kiffin's system, so he said thanks but no thanks.

I like the ballsy move, but coming in and telling your 4 star kids to hit the road is gutsy.  I think Kiffin will actually be a good hire at Tennessee.  I dont remember BP doing that last year at all, does anyone remember him telling a commitment no last year when he was hired?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=2633&page=briefingroom&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d2633%26page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2009

Erockster20

I think he didn't try to "keep" a couple of kids.  Devin Thomas comes to mind.

TomasPistola

Petrino said first thing that any scholarship offers would be honored. That doesn't mean he went out of his way to try to keep everyone, but he said he would honor any offer made by the previous administration.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

COCHISE

Quote from: Erockster20 on December 03, 2008, 09:05:12 pm
He replaced Devin Thomas with Dennis Johnson, looks like the move is going to pan out.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Erockster20 on December 03, 2008, 09:05:12 pm

Good call, I think he did not object to Thomas leaving.  Dont get me wrong, Id rather have BP than Kiffin, but I think Kiffin will bring some fresh young energy to that dying program in Knoxville. 

Tortfeasor

It is gutsy.  He could piss off a few HS coaches and we know how that can work out for a coaching staff.

LJHOG

December 03, 2008, 10:28:32 pm #6 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:30:28 pm by LJHOG
Quote from: 870 RZR on December 03, 2008, 09:07:11 pm
He replaced Devin Thomas with Dennis Johnson, looks like the move is going to pan out.
Yeah, no lie.  That was a good move for us.  But, Kiffin telling a 4* QB your skills may not fit our offense is not bad.  He did it early enough that Tahj has a chance to look around.  That's better than honoring it and the guy ride the pines until he transfers.

jgphillips3

For the QB position more than any other, system is crucial.  In my eyes he did the kid a BIG favor rather than letting him come when he wouldn't use him.

The Realist

December 03, 2008, 11:11:44 pm #8 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:04:27 pm by The Realist
He told him he would honor it 100% and that he was a great athlete.  Just that he's not sure how he sees him in his system at QB yet.  So depending on how you word it is either a good move or too harsh.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

asparkm

Scout ranked him a five star recruit and the number 4 QB in the class of 09'.  It's hard to imagine that Kiffin is that sure he can't find a way to play him. 

Razorvet

That kid needs to go to Michigan and get a spot in RR offense.

Wildhog

Why is this a good move? 

CBP honoring the earlier commitments was a great thing. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg Barry

Quote from: Wildhog on December 04, 2008, 01:21:56 am
Why is this a good move? 

CBP honoring the earlier commitments was a great thing. 

Agreed.

PetrinoBall is rolling!!

hawgsav1

Ok, I don't care what anyone says, this is a stupid move.  I refuse to see how anyone can somehow NOT find a place for the 4th ranked/8th ranked QB in the nation.  I can sort of see how Rich Rodriguez wouldn't have as much use for Ryan Mallett, but I'm pretty sure if he's half the coach he's chalked up to be (which I think he is), he could have tailored some schemes for Mallett.  Also, would Petrino say no to a Vince Young just because he's not a typical drop-back passer?  I think not. 

From a current recruiting standpoint, this is also dumb.  Tenner's recruits are already nervous cuz of the change in coaching staffs.  They want to make sure that they will be ok at Tennessee.  A few of them have already decommitted and are going elsewhere.  Pulling schollies from such highly ranked players is a damn good way to make recruits even more jittery.  Right now, Tennessee has a solid class, and I think Kiffin's first goal should be to do what Petrino did, and maintain the class that he has. 

From a future recruiting standpoint, Kiffin is screwing himself.  Pulling schollies is an easy way to piss off HS coaches, and Tennessee has a far flung and wide recruiting base.  They HAVE to recruit nationally to be competitive, and HS coaches will be less likely to want to send their kids to Tennessee. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 04, 2008, 04:36:49 am
Ok, I don't care what anyone says, this is a stupid move.  I refuse to see how anyone can somehow NOT find a place for the 4th ranked/8th ranked QB in the nation.  I can sort of see how Rich Rodriguez wouldn't have as much use for Ryan Mallett, but I'm pretty sure if he's half the coach he's chalked up to be (which I think he is), he could have tailored some schemes for Mallett.  Also, would Petrino say no to a Vince Young just because he's not a typical drop-back passer?  I think not. 

From a current recruiting standpoint, this is also dumb.  Tenner's recruits are already nervous cuz of the change in coaching staffs.  They want to make sure that they will be ok at Tennessee.  A few of them have already decommitted and are going elsewhere.  Pulling schollies from such highly ranked players is a damn good way to make recruits even more jittery.  Right now, Tennessee has a solid class, and I think Kiffin's first goal should be to do what Petrino did, and maintain the class that he has. 

From a future recruiting standpoint, Kiffin is screwing himself.  Pulling schollies is an easy way to piss off HS coaches, and Tennessee has a far flung and wide recruiting base.  They HAVE to recruit nationally to be competitive, and HS coaches will be less likely to want to send their kids to Tennessee. 

Fantastic post.  Agree with you 100 percent.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hog

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 03, 2008, 08:54:55 pm
I find this interesting.  Kiffin not honoring the commitment of a recruit, 4 star QB Tahj Boyd.  He was supposed to be one of their biggest recruits, but apparently he isnt gonna fit in to Kiffin's system, so he said thanks but no thanks.

I like the ballsy move, but coming in and telling your 4 star kids to hit the road is gutsy.  I think Kiffin will actually be a good hire at Tennessee.  I dont remember BP doing that last year at all, does anyone remember him telling a commitment no last year when he was hired?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=2633&page=briefingroom&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d2633%26page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2009
AD Hamilton said Tennessee would honor all their present verbals.  Kiffin will honor those committments but from what I read he told the kid how it would be.  He would have a place for him but he did not think he would fit his offensive system.

Think of it this way.  If we ran the wishbone offense would you want Mallett at QB to run the option down the line?  Evidently this kid is not a pocket passer but a run/pass type of QB.
Automatic RUN!

The Hog

December 04, 2008, 06:43:53 am #16 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:51:59 am by The Hog

Evidently you did not do your homework.  One article I read said Kiffin told the kid exactly what  your second sentence said.  He would find a place for him.  That could mean receiver but probably not QB and that is what the kid is set on playing.  The kid declined, Kiffin did not pull the scholarship.

Here is a quote from his dad.  "I mean he honored his scholarship," Mr. Boyd explained. "Some media on the Internet are saying they pulled his scholarship. He didn't pull it. He felt like why would Tajh want to go there if he doesn't fit their system? So Tahj decided not to go there because basically he wants to go someplace where he's wanted."

Kiffin is reeling in the existing commitments plus a few.  It looks as though they could lose a kid to Spurrier but that is the only one.  On the other hand it looks like they could steal a commit from South Carolina because of the new QB coach at Tennessee. 

The Williams kid from Georgia that was unhappy with the change is now solid to Tennessee.  This was the big running back Petrino showed interest in and he is us.

I find it funny that you would tell one of the top established recruiters in college football he does not know what he is doing.  That is like me telling Petrino he does not know what he is doing.
Automatic RUN!

Wildhog

...Yeah... Kiffin must have really had his work cut out for him recruiting to USC...  :-\ 
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on December 04, 2008, 06:48:17 am
...Yeah... Kiffin must have really had his work cut out for him recruiting to USC...  :-\ 
Why do you think they hired him.  For his looks?  Pete Carroll had confidence in Kiffin that he could be the recruiting coordinator.  Kiffin's responsibility for recruiting was outside the state of California.  He recruited the other 49 states.  Read more about USC football and you will see why the team Carroll put together was and is successful.  He got good coaches and the coaches got good players.  USC sucked before Pete signed on.  They were down.
Automatic RUN!

HogNuttz

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 03, 2008, 08:54:55 pm

I noticed in that link that Hootie could get a 5.7 RR 3 star recruit that decommited from Auburn.  This would tie for his highest ranked recruit.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

LRCentralTiger

Looking at the coaches the kid coach is going after looks and it looks like the pattern Carroll used.  If it worked for Pete, why not try it since Kiffin was a part of it.

Corkscrew Johnson

Kiffin was the youngest person EVER to be a head coach in the NFL.  The dude knows what he's doing.  People who chalk that hire up to Al Davis wanting a 'yes-man' are only marginally correct...Al Davis knows talent, he just wants them young enough that he can have influence.  See Shanahan and Gruden.  Al just tries to manipulate them too much, and the coaches eventually get fed up with his BS.  Getting fired for "insubordination"?  I think we all know what that means. 

Khallos

in my opinion, the best coaches are able to get the best players they can and put them in the best possible positions to succeed. not get the best "pocket passer" or the best "scrambling QB" because that is the only system you can run. instead, get the best QB that you can get and run the offense to his strengths and to your RB's strengths and to your OL's strength.

you might say that they might all have different strengths, in that case a well designed offense will utilize ALL the strengths. i don't know what that will look like, but i'm also not paid $3,000,000 a year to figure it out.

i hate it when coaches are hired to "install their system", in my opinion the best coaches will have completely different "systems" depending on the team they are coaching and the current personnel they have. (and obviously win a lot of games as well)

obviously mike leach, rich rodriguez and apparently lane kiffin don't believe in that.

respirback

Kiffin had his fill of Jamarcus Russell.  He was probably having flashbacks.

Wes Craven

Quote from: HogNuttz on December 04, 2008, 06:55:59 am
I noticed in that link that Hootie could get a 5.7 RR 3 star recruit that decommited from Auburn.  This would tie for his highest ranked recruit.

Houston doesn't listen to recruiting rankings. He is looking for the Diamonds in the Rough.    :puke:

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Khallos on December 04, 2008, 09:28:26 am

in my opinion, the best coaches are able to get the best players they can and put them in the best possible positions to succeed. not get the best "pocket passer" or the best "scrambling QB" because that is the only system you can run. instead, get the best QB that you can get and run the offense to his strengths and to your RB's strengths and to your OL's strength.

you might say that they might all have different strengths, in that case a well designed offense will utilize ALL the strengths. i don't know what that will look like, but i'm also not paid $3,000,000 a year to figure it out.

i hate it when coaches are hired to "install their system", in my opinion the best coaches will have completely different "systems" depending on the team they are coaching and the current personnel they have. (and obviously win a lot of games as well)

obviously mike leach, rich rodriguez and apparently lane kiffin don't believe in that.
Fulmer was known for running a similar but not exact system as USC.  Kiffin may be more in line with the talent that is in the house and what Fulmer recruited them for versus trying to do what Tuberville did at Auburn.  Tommy could not make it work and fired his OC.  This year the Vols did not have a system period.  Whether it was the new OC or not, it flat did not work.  You might call it the three and out system.  I think good coaches will have to work with what they have in house and Kiffin I believe will do that.  It may not be where he wants to be but he will recruit the type of kids he will need in the future.  Vol fans will have to endure just as we will with Petrino.  A new coach will make changes and it will rub some the wrong way.

After all, Petrino made the comment he needed to get players at Arkansas that could run the offense he wanted to install.  With the freshman class this year, he has a start.  QB Mallett will fit into Bobby's offense.  I am sure this years class will fit the needs of Petrino better than last year.

Hog Nutt

The Boar War

December 04, 2008, 12:43:13 pm #27 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:45:11 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: The Hog on December 04, 2008, 06:30:44 am
AD Hamilton said Tennessee would honor all their present verbals.  Kiffin will honor those committments but from what I read he told the kid how it would be.  He would have a place for him but he did not think he would fit his offensive system.

Think of it this way.  If we ran the wishbone offense would you want Mallett at QB to run the option down the line?  Evidently this kid is not a pocket passer but a run/pass type of QB.

A killing can be made in college football with a talented run/pass type qb.  If Kiffin can't create a single wing package for the fourth ranked qb in the nation (until he develops him into the type of qb he needs) he's going to have a hard time in the SEC.  It could be that UT's scholarships are needed elsewhere.  I'm not familiar with their needs.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Hog Nutt on December 04, 2008, 10:54:53 am
What's our chances on that Herbert kid?
Herbert's quote - "I'm not committed to anywhere right now, but North Carolina State is definitely up there as my No. 1," he said. "I'm taking my visits to Arkansas and Florida, but right now my No. 1 is NC State and Arkansas, it's really between to those two."

Report says Kiffin will call upon Herbert.

LRCentralTiger

December 04, 2008, 01:06:50 pm #29 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:08:23 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: The Boar War on December 04, 2008, 12:43:13 pm
A killing can be made in college football with a talented run/pass type qb.  If Kiffin can't create a single wing package for the fourth ranked qb in the nation (until he develops him into the type of qb he needs) he's going to have a hard time in the SEC.  It could be that UT's scholarships are needed elsewhere.  I'm not familiar with their needs.

They need a QB in a big way.  There may be more to this than just letting him know he will not fit into the system.

Tennessee already has the number 3 rated QB in the nation, Jonathn Crompton.  He was rated behind Mark Sanchez and Ryan Perrilloux his senior high school year.  Did he pan out this year, heck no.  He was absolutely horrible.  He lost his starting job to a Freshman.  Tennessee fans would have been happy with Casey.  QB and stars do not always align.  This is one position a five can bomb in a hurry.  Clausen at ND is having a tough time but take Sam Bradford.  A 3 star by Rivals and killing folks.

The Realist

I'm not sure if it is as much the Dual threat that Kiffin does not like as much as it is the guy is only 6 feet tall.  Don't wanna have to compensate by making wide splits and always having roll outs just so your QB can throw. 

Also, After Boyd decommitted from West Virginia, Bill Stewart was on the radio saying he will never let a player's dad dictate any football decisions.  The answer was in response to a question a QB recruit decommitting.  Heard from a TN perspective that his dad might be getting to be a nuisance in that situation as well so perhaps it isn't as cut and dry as first thought.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Khallos

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on December 04, 2008, 10:42:02 am
After all, Petrino made the comment he needed to get players at Arkansas that could run the offense he wanted to install.

i think that's just my point, he needed to get players here to run his "Feed The Studs" offense. which seems to me like he wants to just get the best players he can at every position (the BEST players, not just players of a specific type of football) and get the ball to best of those players (albeit using creative and smart play design and play calling, but still)

petrino always talks about wanting a big back. i don't think it's because of a specific system he runs, it's simply because we don't have one. if we had broderick green this year and not michael smith i think he would be looking hard for a small back. again, not because his "system" has a need but because our football team needs one to be as effective as possible in ALL situations. whether we needs a seven or eight minute drive or a fast-paced two minute offense. the key is versatility.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Khallos on December 04, 2008, 01:43:40 pm
i think that's just my point, he needed to get players here to run his "Feed The Studs" offense. which seems to me like he wants to just get the best players he can at every position (the BEST players, not just players of a specific type of football) and get the ball to best of those players (albeit using creative and smart play design and play calling, but still)

petrino always talks about wanting a big back. i don't think it's because of a specific system he runs, it's simply because we don't have one. if we had broderick green this year and not michael smith i think he would be looking hard for a small back. again, not because his "system" has a need but because our football team needs one to be as effective as possible in ALL situations. whether we needs a seven or eight minute drive or a fast-paced two minute offense. the key is versatility.
I don't disagree with that at all.  I think the phrase "get the ball to the play makers" is at the top of every coaches list.

I think every coach wants athletes but there may be more to the Boyd story.  Maybe it is attitude, size, height, etc. but for some reason Kiffin did not see it happening.  Maybe that was the easy way to break it to the kid and let him decide if he still wanted to go to Tennessee.  Does Kiffin have an ace up his sleeve?  If he pulls off the staff that is rumored, it would not surprise me if he did not have a QB somewhere ready to de-commit from someone and commit to Tennessee.  They had a verbal commitment from a kid from California and the Fulmer rumors changed his mind.  Could he now be reconsidering?

cardinalandwhite

I look at it this way.  If I'm a player who won't be my best in the system I am recruited to play in (due to a coaching change or whatever), I'd rather the coach be honest and tell me that than feed me a huge line the whole time.  Think how much better playing WR in college would have been for Matt Jones.  Kiffin didn't pull the schollie, it just seems like he wanted to play Boyd at a position other than QB and told Boyd, at which point Boyd decided that his best option was at another school.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem so terrible to me.  It is odd that a coach would be honest with a recruit though...
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Khallos

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on December 04, 2008, 02:04:37 pm
I don't disagree with that at all.  I think the phrase "get the ball to the play makers" is at the top of every coaches list.

I think every coach wants athletes but there may be more to the Boyd story.  Maybe it is attitude, size, height, etc. but for some reason Kiffin did not see it happening.  Maybe that was the easy way to break it to the kid and let him decide if he still wanted to go to Tennessee.  Does Kiffin have an ace up his sleeve?  If he pulls off the staff that is rumored, it would not surprise me if he did not have a QB somewhere ready to de-commit from someone and commit to Tennessee.  They had a verbal commitment from a kid from California and the Fulmer rumors changed his mind.  Could he now be reconsidering?

yeah, you might be right, if it is a personality conflict or difference in opinion of talent, etc.. then what kiffin did is fine. i just think that if he turned him down because he wasn't the "right type of QB" then i think that speaks a lot to how kiffin can apparently only run a certain type of offense and no matter how talented the players are, it doesn't matter because they just don't "fit". it's obvious that this kid's got talent.

i guess it comes down to altering the type of offense based on getting the best players or altering the type of players that you get based on installing the best offense. i prefer the former but i guess that both have proven successful.

hawgsav1

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on December 04, 2008, 10:42:02 am
Fulmer was known for running a similar but not exact system as USC.  Kiffin may be more in line with the talent that is in the house and what Fulmer recruited them for versus trying to do what Tuberville did at Auburn.  Tommy could not make it work and fired his OC.  This year the Vols did not have a system period.  Whether it was the new OC or not, it flat did not work.  You might call it the three and out system.  I think good coaches will have to work with what they have in house and Kiffin I believe will do that.  It may not be where he wants to be but he will recruit the type of kids he will need in the future.  Vol fans will have to endure just as we will with Petrino.  A new coach will make changes and it will rub some the wrong way.

After all, Petrino made the comment he needed to get players at Arkansas that could run the offense he wanted to install.  With the freshman class this year, he has a start.  QB Mallett will fit into Bobby's offense.  I am sure this years class will fit the needs of Petrino better than last year.

You can't compare Petrino's situation to Kiffin's situation.  Petrino didn't have much talent left over from the previous regime.  His whole "We need to get the players for the system" is a euphemism for "We dont' have any good players".  Petrino went to Atlanta for the opportunity to coach Mike Vick, who was a dual threat QB by EVERY stretch of the imagination, and didn't fit the mold of Brian Brohm, Stefan LeFors, Hunter Cantwell, or Ryan Mallett (LeFors was a bit more of a dual threat, but I digress). 

Kiffin has a lot of talent at Tennessee.  While Fulmer wasn't always getting the top class every year, it was still top 25 or top 15.  Arkansas has had maybe 1 top 25 class in the past 6 years. 

The Hog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 04, 2008, 05:32:25 pm
You can't compare Petrino's situation to Kiffin's situation.  Petrino didn't have much talent left over from the previous regime.  His whole "We need to get the players for the system" is a euphemism for "We dont' have any good players".  Petrino went to Atlanta for the opportunity to coach Mike Vick, who was a dual threat QB by EVERY stretch of the imagination, and didn't fit the mold of Brian Brohm, Stefan LeFors, Hunter Cantwell, or Ryan Mallett (LeFors was a bit more of a dual threat, but I digress). 

Kiffin has a lot of talent at Tennessee.  While Fulmer wasn't always getting the top class every year, it was still top 25 or top 15.  Arkansas has had maybe 1 top 25 class in the past 6 years. 
Do you think Tennessee had an offense this year?  Check the stats and tell me how many of those guys were rated high during recruiting and how many are playing up to their rating.  Very few.  Tennessee's offense was worse than our defense.  Check the number of TD's the offense gave up or set up.  It was unreal.  If we had Tennessee's defense and our offense we could have competed for the West title.

I believe Kiffin knows his defense will be good next year.  He has to be selective when recruiting offensive players because like Petrino, he will have to count on Freshman stepping up and contributing early.  That looks like a valid comparison when comparing the two coaches.
Automatic RUN!

hawgsav1

Quote from: The Hog on December 04, 2008, 05:54:21 pm
Do you think Tennessee had an offense this year?  Check the stats and tell me how many of those guys were rated high during recruiting and how many are playing up to their rating.  Very few.  Tennessee's offense was worse than our defense.  Check the number of TD's the offense gave up or set up.  It was unreal.  If we had Tennessee's defense and our offense we could have competed for the West title.

I believe Kiffin knows his defense will be good next year.  He has to be selective when recruiting offensive players because like Petrino, he will have to count on Freshman stepping up and contributing early.  That looks like a valid comparison when comparing the two coaches.

Maybe they're not playing up to their potential, who knows, but you can't deny it's a talented line-up

QB: Crompton (6.0 ranking, 0.1 below a 5 star player)

RB: Foster (6.0 ranking, had 1200 yards rushing last year, only 570 this year)

FB: Cooper (3 star player, solid blocker)

WR: Gerald Jones (4 star WR, sophomore)
WR: Josh Briscoe (3 star WR, went from 600 yards receiving last year to 200 this year)
WR: Austin Rogers (3 star WR, went from 550 yards receiving last year to less than 190 this year)

TE: Brandon Warren (5 star 6.1 ranking, has had all his yards drop from last year)

The O-line has 3 4 star players and 2 high rating 3 stars.  Keep in mind Tennessee went to the SEC championship game last year with virtually the same team, and you're telling me that they don't have anyone?

The Hog

December 05, 2008, 06:32:02 am #38 Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:34:51 am by The Hog
Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 04, 2008, 06:55:33 pm
Maybe they're not playing up to their potential, who knows, but you can't deny it's a talented line-up

QB: Crompton (6.0 ranking, 0.1 below a 5 star player)

RB: Foster (6.0 ranking, had 1200 yards rushing last year, only 570 this year)

FB: Cooper (3 star player, solid blocker)

WR: Gerald Jones (4 star WR, sophomore)
WR: Josh Briscoe (3 star WR, went from 600 yards receiving last year to 200 this year)
WR: Austin Rogers (3 star WR, went from 550 yards receiving last year to less than 190 this year)

TE: Brandon Warren (5 star 6.1 ranking, has had all his yards drop from last year)

The O-line has 3 4 star players and 2 high rating 3 stars.  Keep in mind Tennessee went to the SEC championship game last year with virtually the same team, and you're telling me that they don't have anyone?
There is one player you have listed that is playing to his capabilities.  The Jones kid from Oklahoma.  Talent according to folks across the country like Dudley, Biddy and Kirk?  If they do not play up to their potential then the evaluations were incorrect.  There are two factors evaluators have to look at.  Three if you want to throw in emotions but I think that goes hand in hand with the mental side.  One, is the physical talent there.  With the players you listed, I would agree the talent is there.  The second is the mental.  This is the side Dudley, Kirk and Biddy cannot evaluate and is difficult for recruiters to see.  Will they respond to the pressures of playing at DI or will that back up from the competition.  This appears to be the case with Crompton for sure.  This kid imploded.  If he performs average for an SEC QB, Tennessee is in a bowl.

Tennessee's defense is definitely loaded with talent.  Both physically and mentally.  Eric Berry is a true All-American in every since of the word.  The kid may be one of the best players in the country.

Last years team, David Cutcliff did a remarkable job with Eric Aigne.  If he had played like his sophomore and junior year, they would have been in the same boat they were this year.  Aigne with Cutcliff's tutelage carried the offense.  This was a major change to the offense from last to this year.  One player and the OC coach depart and the offense looks like a bad high school team.
Automatic RUN!

hawgsav1

Quote from: The Hog on December 05, 2008, 06:32:02 am
There is one player you have listed that is playing to his capabilities.  The Jones kid from Oklahoma.  Talent according to folks across the country like Dudley, Biddy and Kirk?  If they do not play up to their potential then the evaluations were incorrect.  There are two factors evaluators have to look at.  Three if you want to throw in emotions but I think that goes hand in hand with the mental side.  One, is the physical talent there.  With the players you listed, I would agree the talent is there.  The second is the mental.  This is the side Dudley, Kirk and Biddy cannot evaluate and is difficult for recruiters to see.  Will they respond to the pressures of playing at DI or will that back up from the competition.  This appears to be the case with Crompton for sure.  This kid imploded.  If he performs average for an SEC QB, Tennessee is in a bowl.

Tennessee's defense is definitely loaded with talent.  Both physically and mentally.  Eric Berry is a true All-American in every since of the word.  The kid may be one of the best players in the country.

Last years team, David Cutcliff did a remarkable job with Eric Aigne.  If he had played like his sophomore and junior year, they would have been in the same boat they were this year.  Aigne with Cutcliff's tutelage carried the offense.  This was a major change to the offense from last to this year.  One player and the OC coach depart and the offense looks like a bad high school team.

I agree with you about Jones and your point about the mental side.  However, that illustrates my point.  A lot of teams have talented players with physical attributes that other players would die for.  Coaching brings out the mental aspect of it, and usually, the lack of mental discipline can often be attributed to the coaches.  The offense this year hasn't just struggled because Tennessee lacks talent.  The numbers from the year before illustrate that.  These kids can play, and they are good.  They are just so demoralized and down from the coaching change and from losing that they're not playing up to their talent level.  Take a look at Ole Piss for example (though I hate to use Nutt as a positive example).  No one denies Orgeron was a good recruiter, but he was a crap coach because he while he got all these physical freaks and good athletes, he couldn't make them perform.  While Nutt can't recruit worth a lick, he can motivate these kids to perform.  Frankly, Kiffin is walking into a situation the same way Nutt walked into Ole Miss.  If he can't get these players to produce he is a coaching failure.