Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Firing TT, good decision?

Started by hogsndawgs, December 03, 2008, 06:14:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Did AU make the right decision to fire Tommy Tubberville?

YES
26 (8.6%)
NO
276 (91.4%)

Total Members Voted: 286

WilsonHog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 03, 2008, 08:02:48 pm
This firing stinks.  I've heard from a person who would know that Tuberville had a meeting this morning with the PTB at Auburn where they told him he needed to fire 3 offensive assistants, hire an OC and let the OC hire the offensive staff.  Tuberville told them no.  Tuberville is very loyal to his assistants.  They then had another meeting this afternoon where Tuberville told them they had a buyout and to use it because he wasn't going to change his mind.  So as of thismorning it seemed like Tuberville was still in Auburn's plans so they apparently had no plan B.  The part that stinks though is they could have given this ultimatum to Tuberville weeks ago and then he would have been able to pursue the Clemson or the Tennessee jobs.  Now the only job open is Miss State and he'd be wise to take a year off rather than take that job.

I have even more respect for Tuberville now than before.

hogsanity

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 03, 2008, 07:30:40 pm
Was it the players claims of abuse?

Weren't those claims against the former OC? 

From all reports, the firing was over TT refusal to fire assistants and hire another oc.  Basically, the PTB at Aubrin want the spread, and if it meant getting rid of TT, then they are willing to pay the price.  At least according to posters here, and reports on radio and internet.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CORZRBACKFAN

Six million dollars to fire a coach four years removed from an undefeated season??? DUMB. I suspect they are going to bring the house to get Butch. Muschamp would be a fool to take the position weeks after he was given the Texas coach in waiting title, and Jimbo Fisher should have the FSU job inside of three years. Last time I checked, both of those jobs, even with FSU being down, were still more prestigious than Auburn. The bottom line is that coaching changes rarely allow success to happen overnight (Saban and Meyer come to mind, but those are definitely the exceptions.), and Auburn may end up being so far behind Alabama when this thing is done that they don't recover for a long, long time.  The bad news for them is that they're going to be even further behind the eight ball once BP gets his players in place, and Miles can usually coast to 9 win seasons on his talent base alone. Mark it down, Auburn is going to regret this decision. I can already picture Auburn fans saying "thank God for Mississippi!" As for TT, I always liked the man, and hope he lands on his feet with a great job. Clemson immediately comes to mind-is that contract signed for the assistant they said they were going to promote?
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Hoggish1

I voted NO!

Auburn panicked.  They win 6 Iron Bowls in a row then lose one and think WTH.

They will regret this decision by BL, who has been a loose cannon tyrant in their mad house for some time now.

broken legs

let auburn worry about it. a lot of people thought we were stupid for running off hoot
Quote from: bigpigpimpin on June 06, 2009, 09:48:11 pm
today when Darr got the winning hit me and some buddies went nuts in my living room, and we even dogpiled in the floor. well, I ended up on bottom and my dog, who doesn't like anybody anyways, thought I was being attacked. so the dog rushes and bites my friend from behind right in the sack! he pissed all over himself and another guy whose face was right below his shorts. They get into a fight and end up shattering the front storm door on my house. After this we all just kind of stopped, as the wife was totally pissed. so we went outside and called the hogs. what a day! I just WPS!

heathtits

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 03, 2008, 08:32:17 pm
I have even more respect for Tuberville now than before.

No question. That is why I will reiterate anyone comparing him to Nutt is clueless.

No he is not a flashy offensive guy who puts up huge offensive totals or points , but the guy came into a down AU program and brought then back onto the national scene. He can flat out coach.

Expecting not to have a down year with 2 first year Qbs and the mess with the OC is ludicrous. And switching to a new DC in the meantime.

Good for Tommy for getting out while still keeping his integrity and pride. I'm excited for whoever gets to end up with him. Hopefully he still has the drive to keep coaching.

Hogs-n-Roses

AU should be so lucky to have a TT. He has one of the best road records in the SEC and a great record against the big boys. Beat 'Bama like 6 times in a row. Several west titles,an overall,an undefeated season....Must have been something we're not hearing about like he was really ready to move on? Bet he lands at Clemson.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 03, 2008, 09:25:30 pm
AU should be so lucky to have a TT. He has one of the best road records in the SEC and a great record against the big boys. Beat 'Bama like 6 times in a row. Several west titles,an overall,an undefeated season....Must have been something we're not hearing about like he was really ready to move on? Bet he lands at Clemson.

He can't go to Clemson.  Dabo Sweeney is the coach now. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

stan the man

Isn't it ironic that both Tommy Bowden and Tommy Tuberville could have had this job at Arkansas and both used it for raises and then were fired.  Do you reckon they may be kicking themselves.

jkstock04

I voted no...but guys we shouldn't be so quick to judge...I would assume that most of us don't know everything about the ins and outs about TT and whats been going on at Auburn.  Lets not pile on to Auburn like everybody in the known sports world piled on us about Houston Nutt.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

elksnort

December 03, 2008, 09:54:50 pm #60 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:01:27 pm by elksnort
Quote from: Melorock089 on December 03, 2008, 06:46:38 pm
And people thought we were crazy for running off Nutt..
Good point. There maybe more to it than we outsiders know. Just like the rest of the nation did not know all about HDN and what was going on here.

Everybody in the SEC is scrambling, but Florida is getting it done. Terrible seasons for them were during the Ron Zook years. This would hardly be terrible for most.

It's all about getting the players. What "place" can get the players and what coach can get the players. Meyer has been getting what he needs to win. Can Auburn find some one who can get the players to their "place"?

razorbacker231

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 03, 2008, 06:35:39 pm
I know he was a winner, but the way that he handled the whole OC thing this season stunk.It was highly unprofessional.

Couple that with players publicly stating that they were beaten up at practices by other players with the coaches' knowledge, having players injured at the beginning of the season due to fighting, top it off with a losing record and you begin to have the appearance of a staff that was either out of control or who had lost control.

Way too much drama down there this season. Way too much. I believe we witnessed first hand the effects of drama like that being allowed, long term.

Drama =  fresh start

what he said

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 03, 2008, 09:26:35 pm
He can't go to Clemson.  Dabo Sweeney is the coach now. 
I did not know that was official. Yes I have been under a rock. 8)

GabeMartini

Big mistake. Chalk up the Auburn game as a win for the next 2-3 years, easy.

El Puerco Grande

I hope Auburn has as tough a time hiring a new coach as we did.
How 'bout them hogs?

hogsndawgs

Quote from: rjoyner44 on December 03, 2008, 11:00:25 pm
I hope Auburn has as tough a time hiring a new coach as we did.

Well it worked out well for us...I hope they have a tougher time.

josh_sec33

Auburn got bullied by some boosters who had egg on their face and a slow burning grudge after Jetgate to get rid of TT as soon as he had a bad year.

The fans aren't happy on the plains...this will come back to bite them.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Hogsnort

I say yes because the Auburn AD and other authorities in the matter didn't want him to stay. Also, I don't think his situation at Auburn would have improved much, if any. He's been between a rock and a hard place the whole time he's been there. He leaves with a very lucrative settlement and will be a lot more happy and successful away from that quagmire.

pitbull1

All he has to do, is sit out one year and LSU, if Miles has another bad season and they'll fire him, and come after TT.  TT can live of the cash he got for one year, and he'll be back in the SEC.

razorsharptusk

Ask Alabama fans, both Auburn and Bama, why this firing occurred and they'll tell you Nick Saban.  Auburn was pretty dominant in the in state rival for about 6 years.  Now, Saban, in his second year, is undefeated and going to the championship game, maybe the BCS game and whooped the mess out of Auburn.  Had Bama had another mediocre year, TT would still be there, however, the cards did'nt fall that way.
GO HOGS!!

longtimeHogfan

All I know is, in confusion there is profit.   ;)  It keeps their recruits scratching their heads and looking elsewhere.  I say Keep the coaching carrousel turning.   :P
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hoggystyle78

I think Aubbie made a terrible decision. The man won over 80% of his games and won 6 iron bowls in a row. Just who in the world will do better than that? They screwed up big time. Thank you Auburn, you just made our path to a West Division title a little easier.

DeltaBoy

Tigger just bought themselves 3-5years of pain and misery.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

smoked hog

Any chance that instead of waiting a year to go after the LSU job that he might try the ND job. Proven winner in a top conf. He could make the golden domers a power again.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hogsndawgs on December 03, 2008, 06:55:25 pm
I think he was talking about people outside of Arkansas. Most people outside the state who aren't familiar with the program and the situation thought we made a bad decision to fire Nutt. They were WRONG...Maybe we're wrong about Tubberville since we're not there. But to me they just made a HUGE mistake!
BTW, Tubberbville was my #2 pick for us to hire behing Petrino.

You're right, he was.  I see that now....my apoligies to Melorock......
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: smoked hog on December 04, 2008, 09:31:45 am
Any chance that instead of waiting a year to go after the LSU job that he might try the ND job. Proven winner in a top conf. He could make the golden domers a power again.

I'm betting Charlie Weiss slept a little less easier last night knowing Tuberville is available.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.