Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Firing TT, good decision?

Started by hogsndawgs, December 03, 2008, 06:14:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Did AU make the right decision to fire Tommy Tubberville?

YES
26 (8.6%)
NO
276 (91.4%)

Total Members Voted: 286

hogsndawgs

Is he not at the top or very near the top in winning percentage in Auburn history?

AckaBacka

This is as ignorant as OM firing Cut after a down year, except that Tubbs had a longer successful tenure, while Cut could conceivably have just benefitted from Eli.

Speedracer

This was a suprising but good decision.  He's lost or ran off numerous coordinators, thrown people under the bus.  Is labled as caring more about hunting than coaching and people say he's coasting.  With Bama doing what they are, Saban will own Auburn for years if they don't do something. 
Like smites bother me.

want2be

No loyalty for a coach who is the best coach they ever had......they will get what they deserve trying to implement a new program now that Saban is on the rise.......An TT walks away a richer man with 6 million within a year.

photoghog

Terrible decision.  Who are they are going to replace him?

Tigerloather

I voted no.  The guy has an off year, one in which he attempted to install a totally new offense, and he gets canned.  After Auburn went after Petrino (@ Louisville), Tubberville should have known that those folks had absolutely no feeling of loyalty towards him.  I feel like he will be the one who comes out a winner here.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

Bubba's Bruisers

It was certainly a bad decision, but I wonder if TT wanted out too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Speedracer

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 03, 2008, 06:27:13 pm
It was certainly a bad decision, but I wonder if TT wanted out too.

I think he did.  He looked as if he was so over it at Auburn.
Like smites bother me.

want2be

Quote from: Speedracer on December 03, 2008, 06:28:05 pm

I would want out also if I was getting underminded by rich Want2bes every 3 years. He will enjoy duck hunting this year for sure.

IZAHOG

TT didn't want out but he will get a good job soon...He will survive for a little while on the 6 million buyout

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Speedracer on December 03, 2008, 06:28:05 pm

I suspect this is the case, and also wonder if this wasn't a deal like Nutty's.  The PTB agree to pay him off to leave.  Is this officially being called a firing?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jamie72921

I know he was a winner, but the way that he handled the whole OC thing this season stunk.It was highly unprofessional.

Couple that with players publicly stating that they were beaten up at practices by other players with the coaches' knowledge, having players injured at the beginning of the season due to fighting, top it off with a losing record and you begin to have the appearance of a staff that was either out of control or who had lost control.

Way too much drama down there this season. Way too much. I believe we witnessed first hand the effects of drama like that being allowed, long term.

Drama =  fresh start

Bless your heart

hogvan

Didn't he have an 8 1/2 game win average during his tenure there? Does every single SEC team think they are going to be number 1.  How long can they keep this up with the high salaries/payoffs to leave?  It is getting almost as bad as pro sports.  The money amounts are getting to be too much!!!

swinecrazy

no , but boy he can do a lot of duck hunting with 6 million.

donewithdale

Depends on who they hire to replace him.  If its an asst then its absolutely stupid.  If they have a couple of prospects with experience lined up, then we'll see.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: hogvan on December 03, 2008, 06:36:44 pm
Didn't he have an 8 1/2 game win average during his tenure there? Does every single SEC team think they are going to be number 1.  How long can they keep this up with the high salaries/payoffs to leave?  It is getting almost as bad as pro sports.  The money amounts are getting to be too much!!!

Too much? Have you heard AU isn't going to be able to afford the buy out?
Either way I think it was a piss poor decision. AU has been at the consistently in the top half of the SEC under Tubberville and even would have won a NC one year if not for getting FUC*ED by the BCS.

I consider him to be one of the four best coaches in the SEC. It would be nice if he'd come back to AR and be the defensive coordinator (pipe dream, I know).

hogsndawgs

Quote from: donewithdale on December 03, 2008, 06:41:20 pm
Depends on who they hire to replace him.  If its an asst then its absolutely stupid.  If they have a couple of prospects with experience lined up, then we'll see.
Good point. But if they hire Muschamp (who is an assistant) they wouldn't be taking a downgrade and they'd have a young guy that might be able to stay for a long, long time.

phadedhawg

bad move at the wrong time.  There just isn't many big names looking to move right now.  I don't see how they are going to find a better coach right now.

Melorock089

And people thought we were crazy for running off Nutt..

donewithdale

Muschamp has had 3 asst coaching jobs at programs who were loaded with talent while he was/is there.  For some reason, his enthusiasm reminds me of Shibest on the sidelines.  I can't understand an upper tier SEC program giving him his first shot.  Ms St I would get. 

BigoBoys

press ham

from the outside looking in, i think it was an bad move unless their was some off-field stuff we don't know about. maybe some auburn fans can give us some insight.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Melorock089 on December 03, 2008, 06:46:38 pm
And people thought we were crazy for running off Nutt..

That would depend on who you were asking, wouldn't it? 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

lovetthog1

----------------

What he said.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 03, 2008, 06:52:31 pm
I think he was talking about people outside of Arkansas. Most people outside the state who aren't familiar with the program and the situation thought we made a bad decision to fire Nutt. They were WRONG...Maybe we're wrong about Tubberville since we're not there. But to me they just made a HUGE mistake!
BTW, Tubberbville was my #2 pick for us to hire behing Petrino.

Melorock089

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 03, 2008, 06:52:31 pm

Yeah like what hawgsndawgs said, ESPN commentators, other SEC forum threads, etc., outside people just looked at the last 2 years and the "18 games we won" but not at the long 10 year period - the .500 winning average in SEC, the off the field issues, ego, and recruiting.  And about the 18 games we won the last 2 years? We lost 9 that we could have, should have, would have won. The end.

heathtits

December 03, 2008, 07:01:15 pm #26 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:06:53 pm by heathtits
Quote from: mrp on December 03, 2008, 06:38:39 pm
TT = Dork Lite

You aren't very smart are you?

He went 13-0 in 2004. If he would have got recognized as the true national champion, no one would ever make that comparison.

52-30 in conference. Nutt was 42-38 in conference.

6 9+ win seasons and a 5-3 bowl record. Nutt 2-5 bowl record.

Your comparison isn't even close.

TT is a respectable Arkansan and has done NOTHING to deserve that.

clew

If I was TT, I think I'd take that $6 million and go coach high school ball in SE arkansas somewhere.  Do some duck hunting, maybe a little deer hunting and not give a rat's you-know-what about the stupidity that is college football administration.
Pure as the dawn

dr_arkansawyer

"This... is... a horrible, horrible idea."

-Samir Nagheenanajar

We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

hogsanity

Depends on WHY they let him go.  Was it the bad year, or was it his refusal to install the " Oh so exciting " spread offense.  Either, imo, is a horrible reason.  I dont really like TT, but he has won a lot of fb games at Aub.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ocsm158

Maybe Camden Fairview needs a new coach......he was once at ASU, maybe there? But the fishin' and huntin' options would be much better to me with that buyout $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tuberville is a very good coach and shouldn't have been fired.  He deserved at least 1 more year.  He needed to hire some different coaches and do a hell fire and brimstone spring practice but he could have done that.  He is likely a top 15 coach nationwide and in the top one half of the SEC.  If he wants another job, he'll be hired within a month at a good location.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: ocsm158 on December 03, 2008, 07:14:55 pm
Maybe Camden Fairview needs a new coach......he was once at ASU, maybe there? But the fishin' and huntin' options would be much better to me with that buyout $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I assume you meant SAU? To my knowledge TT was never in Jonesboro. ;)

ocsm158

hawgsav1

Ok, firing Tubby was a stupid decision.  He has a better winning percentage than even Bear Bryant did in the Iron Bowl.  He's consistently won 9 games a year in his tenure, and could have gotten them a national championship in 2004 if they weren't screwed over by the BCS.  His main mistake was letting people force him into hiring Tony Franklin, and then canning Franklin when it turned out that Franklin was a nuttjob.  I was thinking Auburn would be back next year, but now I'm not so sure. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

ExArky

He was at ASU in the 80s under Lacewell ... quoting an article below when he was inducted into Arkansas hall of fame ... "the boy from Harmony Grove High School in Camden, a walk-on at Southern Arkansas University, the head coach at Hermitage High School and an assistant coach at Arkansas State has made good."

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2008/02/like_a_big_family_reunion_for.html

arkmark

Given the history at Auburn within the last several years with the Petrino affair it's not surprising that TT was booted.  With that as the run up, to start 2008 with an entirely new offensive scheme and with the hire of a of an off. coord. to run it and then to only scrap it half way into the season is not exactly a "whoops, sorry about that" moment.

TT's judgement is rightfully open to question with a boondoggle of that magnitude and the hole he put the program into is not going to be fixed by the next season.

That big of a mistake opens the door for an exit.

jamie72921

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 07:07:02 pm
Depends on WHY they let him go.  Was it the bad year, or was it his refusal to install the " Oh so exciting " spread offense.  Either, imo, is a horrible reason.  I dont really like TT, but he has won a lot of fb games at Aub.

Was it the players claims of abuse?
Bless your heart

ExArky

Tuberville is fired while Charlie Weis stays on ... go figure ...

TushCrush

Looks like Bobby Lowder called this shot ... Here is the

LINK

hogsndawgs

Quote from: ocsm158 on December 03, 2008, 07:24:51 pm
1980-1984 Arkansas St (DE/LB)

I'll be darned, I always thought he played at SAU....huh

ocsm158

He did play at SAU, was a coach at ASU, all in the USA.

1highhog

Ignorant firing of a coach with a 80 plus winning percentage.

Fort Swine

AU boards are coming out with Butch Davis, Jimbo Fisher, and Chris Peterson.  First words out about Butch Davis was the agent - Sexton. 

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

SquidBilly

This firing stinks.  I've heard from a person who would know that Tuberville had a meeting this morning with the PTB at Auburn where they told him he needed to fire 3 offensive assistants, hire an OC and let the OC hire the offensive staff.  Tuberville told them no.  Tuberville is very loyal to his assistants.  They then had another meeting this afternoon where Tuberville told them they had a buyout and to use it because he wasn't going to change his mind.  So as of thismorning it seemed like Tuberville was still in Auburn's plans so they apparently had no plan B.  The part that stinks though is they could have given this ultimatum to Tuberville weeks ago and then he would have been able to pursue the Clemson or the Tennessee jobs.  Now the only job open is Miss State and he'd be wise to take a year off rather than take that job.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 03, 2008, 08:02:48 pm
This firing stinks.  I've heard from a person who would know that Tuberville had a meeting this morning with the PTB at Auburn where they told him he needed to fire 3 offensive assistants, hire an OC and let the OC hire the offensive staff.  Tuberville told them no.  Tuberville is very loyal to his assistants.  They then had another meeting this afternoon where Tuberville told them they had a buyout and to use it because he wasn't going to change his mind.  So as of thismorning it seemed like Tuberville was still in Auburn's plans so they apparently had no plan B.  The part that stinks though is they could have given this ultimatum to Tuberville weeks ago and then he would have been able to pursue the Clemson or the Tennessee jobs.  Now the only job open is Miss State and he'd be wise to take a year off rather than take that job.
Good point about the timing sucking for TT. If I were TT I would probably either just hang out for a year or look for a coordinating position to pass the time before pursuing the LSU job when Les Miles gets fired next year...Hell I might even pursue the LSU job now.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: ocsm158 on December 03, 2008, 07:43:51 pm
He did play at SAU, was a coach at ASU, all in the USA.
Oh...so he coached LBs and DE's at AState? LOL on the all in the USA!

hogs25

I bet Tennessee wish they would've waited a little now.  TT>LK

Those people get too worked up for the Iron Bowl.  My God, TT won 82% of his games and gets axed.  Petrino stock is getting backup from outside the state.

ark525

Horrible decision.  Auburn has consistently been one of the top defenses in the country, and until the past 2-3 years also had a pretty good offense.  Losing Muschamp and Al Borges in the offseason hurt them for this year.  I don't understand why they hired Franklin to install a new offense, and then ran him off in less than half a season when the players running the "spread" were mostly recruited to run a power running offense.  Tuberville has done a great job at Auburn (any comparison between him and Nutt is absolutely preposterous), and they are going to seriously regret this decision.

big mistake indy

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

it looks like a bad move. It's ironic that many of the comments made on this thread are almost identical to some made about the firing of Nuttcase by other SEC fans. A year ago Tubby was deciding whether to take our job... just like Kiffin, Tommy Bowden and the guy at Wake. Grobe better check his golden handcuff clause.... being interested in UA can be hazardous to your job the year after.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003