Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville out at Auburn (all thoughts here)

Started by IZAHOG, December 03, 2008, 05:29:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IZAHOG

3 million in the next 30 days and 3 million in the next year...I hope he can get buy.

GolfnHog

I'd be exiting stage left for a long vacation and waiting on next years openings to see where I'd be landing. That's a sweeeet deal for being unemployed in todays market place.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

axedawg

Quote from: IZAHOG on December 03, 2008, 05:29:53 pm
3 million in the next 30 days and 3 million in the next year...I hope he can get buy.

Pun intended?? 

Rsvlhog

I'm sure it will get a little ruff but he should be ok.
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

demonHOG1013

should be a good christmas for the tubberville's

IronMountainHog

I think Tommy Tuberville put all of his eggs in one basket when he signed Kodi Burns out of Fort Smith to be his quarterback of the future. At the time it looked like he pulled a major steal out of our state. In hindsight, looks like they both made the wrong decision. I had hoped that Kodi would come to Fayetteville, now I'm could care less. I truly believe Kodi was recruited to Auburn as a quarterback with hopes of him being able to be moved to another position. Coach Tub's credibility was on the line over ever coming back into the Natural state to get a blue chip player. He knew that he had to match what Arkansas was offering to Kodi as far as playing time at the qb spot. I remember reading that after Auburn's first practice last year about the Auburn coaches joking that several players had to get some token snaps at qb before they got moved over to practicing with the defensive secondary. I had a feeling at the time he was talking about Kodi. When Auburns qb started struggling in games last year, starting with the USF loss, fans booed and Tubs had to put KB in as a run threat. When he was able to break off some runs and throw some short completions, fans started screaming for KB to get more snaps. I support Arkansas kids but these numbers are a big reason Tubs is gone.

QB efficiency 97.65    94 completions  179 attempts 52.5%
1050 yards passing with 2 td's for the year (did not have a td pass in the final 7 games)

98 rush attempts for 532 yards (121 in losses) for 411 net
4.2 yards per rush    41.1 yards rushing per game

With these numbers it is no wonder why AU sucked this year. Guess that's what you get when you start a safety at quarterback.

SquidBilly

Unfortunately he had no one better either.  For some reason QB play at Auburn has been suspect at Auburn since jason Campbell left.  You would think at a school like auburn in the recruiting area it is in they would be able to get at least a serviceable QB.

hawgsav1

I disagree.  Kodi Burns is still a phenomenal talent, but due to Auburn's struggles, he got thrown into the fire early in his career.  You see it a lot with freshman QBs who get thrown into the fire.  They just often never pan out.  Also, while our OC carousel has been well documented, Auburn has had one also.  Al Borges was fired, then Tony Franklin was hired.  Borges shouldn't have been fired in my opinion, but there you go. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Boarcephus

I think he got he sucked into coaching a style he wasn't committed to.   Throughout his career he's been a power offensive team with an adequate passing attack to keep teams off balance.  He'll land on his feet and do well. Perhaps at MSU.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

The real Hogules

I think that's an over simplification of TT's trouble at AU.
I think AU not deciding which direction to go with their offense and straddling the fence, coupled with Nick Saban's quick success is what caused TT to not be given another year to right the Tigers ship.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

IronMountainHog

I think that Tub's thought Chris Todd was going to be his quarterback just like he thought Tony Franklin was going to be a solution to their offensive struggles. I believe they were a package deal. Todd was a Troy commit who was going there to run Franklins offense. When Franklin left Troy, Todd followed to him Auburn. Well we now know how it worked out for both of them. I think Kodi would do OK when he came off the bench, but when it was all on him he struggled because he cannot pass effectively past 20 yards. Defenses dared him to throw it, just like when he had 4 shots at Arkansas from inside the 10.
Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 03, 2008, 08:06:40 pm
Unfortunately he had no one better either.  For some reason QB play at Auburn has been suspect at Auburn since jason Campbell left.  You would think at a school like auburn in the recruiting area it is in they would be able to get at least a serviceable QB.

Blue35

Tubs was fired because of what happened last week in Tuscaloosa. He has been on thin ice for several years and did a horrible job this year. Kodi cannot pass and therefore is not an SEC quarterback.

SILK PURSE

I lived in Fort Smith and got a few opportunities to see Kodi.  The kid has great talent but I never thought D-I quarterback.  He just wasn't that accurate in high school, even to his open receivers.  Although he had a big arm in terms of distance, many of his deep passes in games were surprisingly quackish, with poor spiral and accuracy. 

Perhaps he could have benefited from a redshirt year and a nice slow progression to starter, but Auburn didn't have that luxury.  I can't remember Auburn ever having a truly great qb except for Jason Campbell's senior year.  Regarding quarterback evaluation and development, Tommy T's record is surprisingly similar to HDN's.  Of course, constantly switching O-Coordinators doesn't help, but then again, this is Tommy's call to make, and he must live with the consequences.

That's why you gotta love Petrino.  The game evolves ever closer to the qb and we've got one of the best and brightest at coaching this position.

WPS 
On the dark days, I sit in a dimly lit alcove crushing up 250mg Nuvigil tablets and knitting tiny pink practice jerseys for Mr. Whiskers.  Then I think of the Herringboner Series--back to back fake punt calls in the 2008 Cotton Bowl.  Soon, shrill peals of laughter echo out the window and across the courtyard.

kcabrozaR

Quote from: Blue35 on December 03, 2008, 08:19:11 pm
Tubs was fired because of what happened last week in Tuscaloosa. He has been on thin ice for several years and did a horrible job this year. Kodi cannot pass and therefore is not an SEC quarterback.
Bottom line beat Alabama, and never let them embarrass you.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

Bubba's Bruisers

Correct. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Franchise_Hog

As long as he uses coupons at the grocery store and doesn't eat out that much this next year, he should be fine. Then he''ll be ready for the Notre Dame job.

Table Rocker

buy stock in bass pro and cabela's.

hogsanity

The trouble for TT, and others with his coaching style, started about a decade ago when the spread started showing up.  Guys from his generation are more the tough, hardnosed, grind it, out smashmouth, line up in the I an pund people guys on offense, and even tougher on D. 

Just look at this year.  Tubberville, Fulmer, Croom, Bowden.  All coaches who run more than throw.  And 3 of them, TT, PF, BB, all  had tried in some form to introduce a spread. 

Casual fans do not like that style.  They want 50 passes and 42pts per game.  ore hardcore fans understand they "conservative style"  and know it can be just as effective.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

. Kodi cannot pass and therefore is not an SEC quarterback.

I was banned once for saying that.  Burns is just like MJ was.  I saw them both at Northside.  They can both throw, but neither can pass with consistent accurracy.

The problem TT ran into was that KB was the best Qb he had.  I think Hog fans know a thing or 2 about how weak Qb play can kill a team.

Also, though, it seems 10 years is just about the max for coaches now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 08:55:55 pm
I was banned once for saying that.  Burns is just like MJ was.  I saw them both at Northside.  They can both throw, but neither can pass with consistent accurracy.

The problem TT ran into was that KB was the best Qb he had.  I think Hog fans know a thing or 2 about how weak Qb play can kill a team.

KB and MJ have some eerie similarities.

MJ might have had more raw speed but KB might have more wiggle.

Both need a system custom-built for them. Franklin and Borges didn't offer that to KB. If he's the QB for 2009 the new HC better have an OC who can fit KB into a "hand in glove" system.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

December 03, 2008, 09:19:48 pm #20 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:31:10 pm by Bubba's Bruisers
Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 08:52:09 pm
The trouble for TT, and others with his coaching style, started about a decade ago when the spread started showing up.  Guys from his generation are more the tough, hardnosed, grind it, out smashmouth, line up in the I an pund people guys on offense, and even tougher on D. 

Just look at this year.  Tubberville, Fulmer, Croom, Bowden.  All coaches who run more than throw.  And 3 of them, TT, PF, BB, all  had tried in some form to introduce a spread. 

Casual fans do not like that style.  They want 50 passes and 42pts per game.  ore hardcore fans understand they "conservative style"  and know it can be just as effective.   

Let's be fair.  You know there are different types of "spread" offenses.  As a rule, the most successfull are balanced with the run and pass, which I think even the casual observer appreciates.  There are, of course, always some exceptions to the rule...like TT and GT this year. 

Tubby is definitely old school, and his offenses have always been slanted to the run...but not by much.  They've always been reasonably balanced.  Nutt's offenses, however, were almost always run heavy and very unbalanced.  Such was usually successful in getting us to 8-4 with a bowl loss, but not much better.  The same has been true for Leach with the pass.   
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

idiotghos

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 08:52:09 pm
ore hardcore fans understand they "conservative style"  and know it can be just as effective.   

Operative words being "can be".  Because it was not at Auburn last year or moo state... ever.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2008, 09:03:35 pm

Both need a system custom-built for them. Franklin and Borges didn't offer that to KB. If he's the QB for 2009 the new HC better have an OC who can fit KB into a "hand in glove" system.
Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 08:55:55 pm

I agree about Kodi.  I never understood the hype with him.  He's a solid player, but not a QB...especially in the SEC.  I never cared about getting him at UA.  I always thought LZ the must get. 

Ironically for Kodi, he's likely getting ready to receive the Mallett treatment when a new HC is hired at AU.  Even more ironically, the offense the would most fit his abilities resides in Oxford, MS.

dr_arkansawyer

Quote from: kcabrozaR on December 03, 2008, 08:25:04 pm
Bottom line beat Alabama, and never let them embarrass you.
listen to the tomato.  +1
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

jmingram911

Wow, this was a surprise to me. But you can't feel tooooo sorry for a 6 million dollar man.

Pork Authority

December 03, 2008, 09:43:36 pm #25 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:45:31 pm by Pork Authority
Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2008, 09:03:35 pm

KB and MJ have more differences than similarities.  The biggest one being the ability of one not only being able to help his coach keep his job but get a five year extention.

PAHawg

Amen brotha...I never thought Kodi was that great a qb.  His hs stats weren't very impressive for a 4 or 5 * recruit.

hogfanshan

December 03, 2008, 09:54:09 pm #27 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:12:12 pm by hogfanshan
I think Burns still has a chance to be an impact player in the SEC...and at qb under the right conditions. He was definitely thrown in the fire early at Auburn.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

DiscombobulatoryHOG

Can we please not compare Kodi to Matt Jones.  Don't make me post MJ's career stats (passing also) so we can all see how great he actually was.  I know some of you will NEVER give him the credit he deserves but whatever.  Kodi will NEVER be in league of MJ neither passing or running.

josh_sec33

I completely disagree with this. There are some boosters who have not liked Tubby since after the whole Jetgate fiasco. both my dad and I have heard that some boosters were, after having major egg on their face after Jetgate, held a grudge, and waited for the goodwill and karma to run out. As soon as Tubby had a bad season, They did everything they could to push Tubby out.

This will backlack. This wasn't fan driven...this was a few PO'd boosters who didn't get their way a few years ago flexing their monetary muscles. Especially when Auburn doesn't get a 'high name coach' to replace him.

Wait and see.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Hoggish1

Right now Aubie is a tough job to come into, not built to run any style of offense very effectively.

I'm thinking they have held a grudge since Lauder got caught trying to play God.  Now they are going to football hell for a little while to pay for their sins and the fans are the ones caught in the middle.

Feralhog

December 03, 2008, 10:56:34 pm #32 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:58:23 pm by Feralhog

Dead balls on.  I have friends and family in Alabama and a group of us make the trek each year whether it's against AU or Bama.  The night before the Auburn game, I was talking with a family member who's a bama guy and he said TT was in trouble. 

At first I called BS.  The next day at the game, we were tailgating with some fans we know from Auburn and I was dumbfounded by the chatter coming from these people.  Saban had these frikers fit to be tied over bama's number one ranking.  Not in the polls, the Arkansas v AU game was long before Bama moved to number one in the polls.  These Auburn people were in a state of panic over the rating Bama received for the 08 Recruiting class.

I wasn't sure if these guys reflected their fan base, however, the AU fans reactions during the game made me start believing that TT could be in trouble.  Several times during the game there was a chorus of boos from the majority of Tiger fans in the stands. What's more, when the outcome of the game was far from being decided, with over 7 minutes left in the 4th qtr, the AU fans were leaving in droves.  I'm not exaggerating.  IN DROVES.

We run a guy off for pulling all kinds of shenanigans against his OC and some of his top recruits .  A guy who's coached for ten years and never taken us to a BSC bowl, who's SEC record was .500, and we catch nine kinds of hell.  This is the first real down year TT has had.  His 6 game win streak against Bama is the best run in school history, and he's ran off, not because of anything he did, but because the frieken idiots are in a state of panic over Saban. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

josh_sec33

Well, that's the state of Alabama for you. Intelligence isn't one of their hallmarks.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

hog.goblin

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 03, 2008, 08:14:37 pm
I think that's an over simplification of TT's trouble at AU.
I think AU not deciding which direction to go with their offense and straddling the fence, coupled with Nick Saban's quick success is what caused TT to not be given another year to right the Tigers ship.

this

hog.goblin

Quote from: Feralhog on December 03, 2008, 10:56:34 pm
This is the first real down year TT has had.  His 6 game win streak against Bama is the best run in school history, and he's ran off, not because of anything he did, but because the frieken idiots are in a state of panic over Saban. 

and this

donewithdale

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 03, 2008, 08:03:02 pm
I think Tommy Tuberville put all of his eggs in one basket when he signed Kodi Burns out of Fort Smith to be his quarterback of the future. At the time it looked like he pulled a major steal out of our state. In hindsight, looks like they both made the wrong decision. I had hoped that Kodi would come to Fayetteville, now I'm could care less. I truly believe Kodi was recruited to Auburn as a quarterback with hopes of him being able to be moved to another position. Coach Tub's credibility was on the line over ever coming back into the Natural state to get a blue chip player. He knew that he had to match what Arkansas was offering to Kodi as far as playing time at the qb spot. I remember reading that after Auburn's first practice last year about the Auburn coaches joking that several players had to get some token snaps at qb before they got moved over to practicing with the defensive secondary. I had a feeling at the time he was talking about Kodi. When Auburns qb started struggling in games last year, starting with the USF loss, fans booed and Tubs had to put KB in as a run threat. When he was able to break off some runs and throw some short completions, fans started screaming for KB to get more snaps. I support Arkansas kids but these numbers are a big reason Tubs is gone.

QB efficiency 97.65    94 completions  179 attempts 52.5%
1050 yards passing with 2 td's for the year (did not have a td pass in the final 7 games)

98 rush attempts for 532 yards (121 in losses) for 411 net
4.2 yards per rush    41.1 yards rushing per game

With these numbers it is no wonder why AU sucked this year. Guess that's what you get when you start a safety at quarterback.

Ridiculous and sorry to put this on Kodi. 

swinecrazy

i don't think kodi was ready this kind of situation, with all the changes they've had in the last 2 years

corpitguy

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 03, 2008, 11:21:48 pm
and this

I third this motion!

Alabama is just a better program, end of story.  TT wasn't successful against Alabama for any reason other than Alabama's own problems; now that 'Bama is back on top, it isn't TT's fault either.

corpitguy

ToddW

he could duck hunt in stuggart for long time on that
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

PowderedToastMan

He might have to eat potted meat and saltines for christmas dinner, but I think he'll be ok.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

redbarn

Wish someone would pay me 6 million to go home.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Zen_Hog

Quote from: redbarn on December 04, 2008, 08:33:24 am
Wish someone would pay me 6 million to go home.

Wouldn't that be awesome.

"Sorry Jim, were going to have to lay you off. In the meantime, here is 2 million for compensation."
"Dammit Boss! I really love this place. I have a family to support! What am I going to do with 2 million?"
"Alright, 2 million now, and the following year another million."

IronMountainHog

Why not? He's the leader of the offense and the offense sucks. It comes with the territory. What names get the credit when offenses click? Texas Tech- Graham Harrell, Missouri- Chase Daniel, OU- Sam Bradford. When offenses struggle it is the qb who takes the blame. Heres several from HDN regime at Arkansas- Robert Johnson, Cole Barthel, Robbie Hampton, amongst others. The numbers do not lie about Kodi Burns. He might do well at an option offense, but the SEC does not offer that offense. He will be a safety next year or a back-up for the rest of his career.
Quote from: donewithdale on December 03, 2008, 11:31:21 pm
Ridiculous and sorry to put this on Kodi. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: josh_sec33 on December 03, 2008, 10:46:15 pm
I completely disagree with this. There are some boosters who have not liked Tubby since after the whole Jetgate fiasco. both my dad and I have heard that some boosters were, after having major egg on their face after Jetgate, held a grudge, and waited for the goodwill and karma to run out. As soon as Tubby had a bad season, They did everything they could to push Tubby out.

This will backlack. This wasn't fan driven...this was a few PO'd boosters who didn't get their way a few years ago flexing their monetary muscles. Especially when Auburn doesn't get a 'high name coach' to replace him.

Wait and see.

I agree I believe we will see another housecleaning but at Tigger in the next 2-3 years if they fail to get a hot coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Roadrunner

Actually it's 5.1 million.
1/2 due in 30 days
1/2 due in 1 year

And he's not leaving Auburn.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Roadrunner on December 04, 2008, 09:29:22 am
Actually it's 5.1 million.
1/2 due in 30 days
1/2 due in 1 year

And he's not leaving Auburn.

So what is Tommy going to do at Tigger?
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Roadrunner

Not sure what his role will be.
He was offered an immediate position of some sort, but declined.
Most Aubies would love for him to be the AD or stay on in any way.
He is a good man and very well-liked.
There are several good articles today at al.com that give you an idea of his character and what he did in the lives of some young men. 
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

DeltaBoy

I see him duck hunting over at Stuttgart and taking it easy this year.  Unless he could sneak in at MSU.