Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tubby watch continues at Auburn

Started by monty hawg, December 03, 2008, 07:52:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 03, 2008, 10:44:40 am
1. If you oust TT after an outstanding record, why would another top-rated coach go there? Could they do better than TT? It would be very difficult, especially in the current environment.

2. TT would have been a great fit at Clemson, but that horse has left the barn.

3. Mississippi State is a tough place to win because of issues such as its location, recruiting base and facilities, and TT would be smart to find a better job elsewhere. His record is great, and he should have no problem finding a top job at a decent school, a la Ron Zook landing at Illinois and Houston Nutt at Ole Miss.

4. The SEC West can be thankful for TT leaving. Whoever they hire is likely to be less of a power than TT. It seems doubtful that the transition can be seamless.

5. Why again would Auburn fire this outstanding coach?
From the outside it looks like this, similar to what outsiders said about Arkansas last year. But we know it had to happen. I suspect Auburn feels the same.

Tusks

getting a good coach at auburn wont be an issue....they have a history of them.....$ $ and the SEC will draw a great coach.....$ $ is what makes the world go around.

I mean look at Bama...you could say the samething...why would a coach want to go there after Dubose and Shula.....people though the AD was crazy and then boom....huge $ $ $ and Saben walks through the door.

A school has to have the $ $ first....if they have that....they'll get a coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

tcolinm

Quote from: nutted on December 03, 2008, 10:51:58 am
getting a good coach at auburn wont be an issue....they have a history of them.....$ $ and the SEC will draw a great coach.....$ $ is what makes the world go around.

I mean look at Bama...you could say the samething...why would a coach want to go there after Dubose and Shula.....people though the AD was crazy and then boom....huge $ $ $ and Saben walks through the door.

A school has to have the $ $ first....if they have that....they'll get a coach.

Very good point sir... they just have to make a super hire to keep recruits away from Saban. If not, Saban's fence around bama could get stronger

bellavistamike

While I don't follow AU, or most other schools closely, I wonder out loud why Auburn folks feel Tubby has to go quite so loudly. He has won, beat thier chief rival (7-3 vs "Bama), ran a clean program and seems like a pretty decent guy. What, he can't have an off year? If this was year 2 or 3 of hard times I could understand the fire the coach topic. For a couple years around here we all said we'd like a coach who wins most of his games, has us in the position to compete for a title most years, and is a decent guy. I say if AU fires Tubs, they may really regret it down the road because that's the kind of guy they have right now.

SRFL

I don't see Sexton placing both Nutt and Tubs in Mississippi.  Tubs and Sexton will go for a better school and payday.

WilsonHog

Quote from: bellavistamike on December 03, 2008, 10:57:42 am
While I don't follow AU, or most other schools closely, I wonder out loud why Auburn folks feel Tubby has to go quite so loudly. He has won, beat thier chief rival (7-3 vs "Bama), ran a clean program and seems like a pretty decent guy. What, he can't have an off year? If this was year 2 or 3 of hard times I could understand the fire the coach topic. For a couple years around here we all said we'd like a coach who wins most of his games, has us in the position to compete for a title most years, and is a decent guy. I say if AU fires Tubs, they may really regret it down the road because that's the kind of guy they have right now.

Because of who Tuberville isn't.

Namely, Nick Saban.

hogsanity

Quote from: bellavistamike on December 03, 2008, 10:57:42 am

He plays "boring" defense first, smashmouth football.  People dont seem to care anymore if that wins games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 11:02:16 am
He plays "boring" defense first, smashmouth football.  People dont seem to care anymore if that wins games.

That has zero to do with it. Auburn has played that way for years, and Alabama still plays that way.

Saban has turned up the heat and raised the expectations in Alabama. Winning isn't enough if it doesn't match what Saban is accomplishing.   

GolfnHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2008, 11:02:16 am

They may come to regret that sentiment over  the next couple of years as they try and transition into a new system.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

HotlantaHog

If Arkansas got roasted for firing a coach that won half his games (and the majority of those were Mississippi, Mississippi State and South Carolina), Auburn should be rightly raked over the coals if they get rid of TT.

For anyone comparing TT and TCTWF, look at their records! TT has been outstanding and exemplified success. TCTWF exemplified mediocrity. There is no comparison. Anyone doing their homework should realize this.

tcolinm

I think TT being fired has more to do with Saban's win-loss record this year than his own...

pitbull1

Well, we know ND is not getting rid of Charlie Wiess, at least thats what they're saying today.  If TT is out,  I could see him sitting out this year and possibly seeing what LSU is doing next year.  If Miles has one more bad season I see him gone.

hog_fan

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 03, 2008, 11:10:07 am
If Arkansas got roasted for firing a coach that won half his games (and the majority of those were Mississippi, Mississippi State and South Carolina), Auburn should be rightly raked over the coals if they get rid of TT.

For anyone comparing TT and TCTWF, look at their records! TT has been outstanding and exemplified success. TCTWF exemplified mediocrity. There is no comparison. Anyone doing their homework should realize this.

They will be praised. Tubs and Bowden both fired and both almost hired at Arkansas last season. Auburn should have let Tubby come here and then they could have got Petrino

I be tthose idiot fans bring up Petrino's name.

razorbrass

Ah yes, but what is Auburn's potential?  You see we here in poor little Arkansas should just be happy we know what football is.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

SRFL

They (and the media) will likely cite losing ground to SaBama and needed to inject change into the system to preserve their rightful spot in Alabama and the SEC.  Usual rhetoric.

Just saw that Muschamp's agent is Sexton as well.  If anyone knows how to negotiate with AU (and Will), it's Jimmy.  Could get interesting.

NWASooner

Not that I'm a huge Tuberville fan but who are they going to get that's better?  When you spin the Wheel of Coaches, things can (and do) get worse.

Muschamp would be a fool to go there.  Texas is twice the job Auburn is.

pitbull1

Yeah, but Mack Brown is not going to retire anytime soon.  He could make a statement at Auburn, then always come back to Texas later in his career.

GWFan

Everything else aside, Auburn literally got OWNED by Alabama Sat, and that didn't help matters for Tuberville.

GWFan

Quote from: pitbull1 on December 03, 2008, 11:33:41 am
Yeah, but Mack Brown is not going to retire anytime soon.  He could make a statement at Auburn, then always come back to Texas later in his career.
It's funny how we sometimes get to thinking we can control careers like it's a board game.

Wonder if "later in his career" the coach that happens to be at Tex will step down so Muschamp can do that?  Hehe.  Funny stuff.

pitbull1

Well all I'm saying is if Muschamp came to Auburn and did bring them back, and made them a powerhouse again, then when it was time for Texas to look for another coach, they would probably look at Muschamp.  I just think it will be a while before Mack Brown is going to retire. 

cbjagman

Well one would also have to consider the number of "moral victories" Hooter has accomplished in his last 10+ years. There's NO ONE who can come close. In fact, he's earned a NC in this division every year he's coached!!!!

Tigerloather

Quote from: hog_fan on December 03, 2008, 11:14:22 am

I be tthose idiot fans bring up Petrino's name.

I was just thinking the same thing.  They've gone after him before.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

HOGINTENNESSEE

December 03, 2008, 11:54:56 am #72 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:57:03 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: pitbull1 on December 03, 2008, 11:42:13 am
Well all I'm saying is if Muschamp came to Auburn and did bring them back, and made them a powerhouse again, then when it was time for Texas to look for another coach, they would probably look at Muschamp.  I just think it will be a while before Mack Brown is going to retire. 

Muschamp is sitting on a gold mind and he knows.  At Texas he can get whatever recruits he wants, plus he will only have to play one to two big games a year.  Auburn is a good job but Texas is a 100x better and worth waiting for.

I don't think Texas would take him back if he left now.

razorbrass

:o Crazy thought.

If Tubbs is looking for a job maybe he would like to come back home and be Defensive coordinator for Petrino.  That would be some kind of interesting.  Don't know what their relationship is after Plane gate but we could do a lot worse for a defensive coordinator than Tubbs.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

SRFL

December 03, 2008, 11:58:02 am #74 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:00:30 pm by SRFL
Quote from: pitbull1 on December 03, 2008, 11:42:13 am

The likely progression would be for Dodds to retire and Brown to succeed him as AD, moving Will to HC.  That is an unknown for all intents and purposes.  Dodds has not been firm on when he will retire which leaves the other moves in limbo.

If Auburn and Sexton brought the money to the table for Will to consider, what would he do?  Take 900K to sit and wait of 2.6MM to do what he desires...now?

Texas doesn't hold that type of football aura IMO.  One that will make a hungry young coach just sit and observe when a SEC major wants him to compete immediately.  That would be very tough to walk away from.  IMO.

SigHog87

Quote from: Lard on December 03, 2008, 10:25:46 am
Tuberville is Church of Christ though........that wouldn't fly in Catholicville.

So it flew in Methodistville? I don't think Religion matters...

ND is keeping Weis though (hahahahahaha)

SigHog87

Quote from: razorbrass on December 03, 2008, 11:57:44 am
:o Crazy thought.

If Tubbs is looking for a job maybe he would like to come back home and be Defensive coordinator for Petrino.  That would be some kind of interesting.  Don't know what their relationship is after Plane gate but we could do a lot worse for a defensive coordinator than Tubbs.

Your right... that is a very crazy thought.

hog_fan

Quote from: SigHog87 on December 03, 2008, 12:06:44 pm
So it flew in Methodistville? I don't think Religion matters...

ND is keeping Weis though (hahahahahaha)

Considering that I will say some Church of Christ people think Catholics are going to hell that wouldn't work out to well.

JoyDivision

Quote from: opineonswine on December 03, 2008, 09:18:34 am
Paul Finebaum had Hooten on his show and quizzed him extensively about being a candidate.

You know Hooten....always out for Hooten.

Ole Miss fans beware.  You've been warned.

Hooten would not walk into that trap.

psooie

I would think WM would wait on texas...now if it was UGA calling he probably gives the upside down horn gesture to ut but auburn? no way.

donewithdale

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 03, 2008, 11:02:02 am
Because of who Tuberville isn't.

Namely, Nick Saban.

Yep, they have Saban panic.  It started this past offseason even though they had beaten Bama 6 straight times.  What insecurity. 

As far as TT to Ms St, I would love to see it for one reason and that is because he would keep and probably even increase Ms St's dominance over Ole Miss in recruiting.  But I would hate to have him at Ms St because they would get better.

TT is a great SEC coach having rebuilt 2 programs.  Maybe Auburn knows of an option we don't whose resume demands Saban money and they are willing to pay it. 

Houston wouldn't go to Auburn.  One, its a rebuild and not a program ready to win next season.  And two, he wouldn't be able to be proclaimed a hall of fame legendary coach for going 8-4 and choking to Vandy at home.  His ego would not be fed well enough. 

SquidBilly

Quote from: Lard on December 03, 2008, 10:25:46 am
Tuberville is Church of Christ though........that wouldn't fly in Catholicville.

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm Church of Christ too but I work for a company that is much more liberal than what the Church of Christ would ever support.  Where you work doesn't always have to match your beliefs.  He could coach at Notre dame without having to throw his support behind catholicism.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 03, 2008, 12:25:14 pm
Nothing wrong with that.  I'm Church of Christ too but I work for a company that is much more liberal than what the Church of Christ would ever support.  Where you work doesn't always have to match your beliefs.  He could coach at Notre dame without having to throw his support behind catholicism.

Ara Parseghian wasn't Catholic, and he was loved at ND.  Like anyplace else, it's all about W's and L's.

Oklahawg

Rich Rodriquez might like a new home. :)

Mike Leach. Gary Pinkel.

Several "big" names that might like a move.

I don't rule out Muschamps. In fact, I think he'd be the favorite.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MJ2

Quote from: TxRzrbak on December 03, 2008, 11:07:15 am
They may come to regret that sentiment over  the next couple of years as they try and transition into a new system.

Didn't Chuck Barrett say it will take 10 years to recover from firing Tubby?   Oh, that was Nutty...

Simple Swineman

1. If you oust TT after an outstanding record, why would another top-rated coach go there? Could they do better than TT? It would be very difficult, especially in the current environment.

3. Mississippi State is a tough place to win because of issues such as its location, recruiting base and facilities, and TT would be smart to find a better job elsewhere. His record is great, and he should have no problem finding a top job at a decent school, a la Ron Zook landing at Illinois and Houston Nutt at Ole Miss.

4. The SEC West can be thankful for TT leaving. Whoever they hire is likely to be less of a power than TT. It seems doubtful that the transition can be seamless.

Sounds almost exactly like what everybody said about Arkansas last year. We will never be able to get a big name coach to come here.... Who would want to go coach with all those crazy fans.... Why would they run off such a great coach.... They'll never be able to get anybody better.... blah, blah, blah

On the other hand, Tubberville actually is a proven winner. The Auburn fans are just in panic mode with what Saban has put together.

GuvHog

December 03, 2008, 01:11:07 pm #86 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:20:19 pm by GUVHOG

1. Two out of the last three years Auburn lost to Arkansas on their home field.

2. Auburn was hammered by Alabama this year for the first time in seven years.

3. LSU, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia have Kicked Auburns butt in recruiting the
    last couple years and it isn't going to get any better, just worse.

4. Auburns Conference record this year is 2-6, and with their current low talent level
   and TTs recruiting problems (see #3) things don't look to be any better in the future.

5. The fact that Auburn barely beat a Mississippi State team whos HC just resigned
    Makes matters even worse.

Note: If Mississippi State offers, TT had better take it because his firing of two Coordinators
in one year will have most Big time D1 schools being very hesitant to hire him.

I am sure glad Arkansas hired Petrino rather than TT.

TT is not now nor has he ever been an outstanding coach. Pretty good yes, but outstanding no.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Lots of presumption that Tubs is out. Any new news that he's actually gone?

SwinedMelon

If and when you hear Auburn is coming after Petrino, I am told that Petrino isn't going anywhere. Spread the word. Besides, I think his contract keeps him from coaching anywhere in the west other than here.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

OTTER

Quote from: SwinedMelon on December 03, 2008, 01:17:57 pm
If and when you hear Auburn is coming after Petrino, I am told that Petrino isn't going anywhere. Spread the word. Besides, I think his contract keeps him from coaching anywhere in the west other than here.
True on the contract and Bobby does love living in Fayetteville as does his family.  He's here for a while and maybe for a long while.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Lard

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 03, 2008, 12:25:14 pm
I'm church of Christ as well....all i was saying is that when your bosses are catholic priests and they expect you to promote Catholic views and principles and you likely disagree with a large portion of their doctrine, then there would be a little bit of a conflict there.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

SRFL

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2008, 12:34:44 pm
I don't rule out Muschamps. In fact, I think he'd be the favorite.

The one issue may be how he and Jay Jacobs' left their relationship upon departure to UT.  Not good.   

DMacIsASaint

Quote from: SwinedMelon on December 03, 2008, 01:17:57 pm

He cant, contract says he cant leave us for another SEC West team.

The real Hogules

December 03, 2008, 02:24:30 pm #93 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:26:22 pm by The real Hogules
nm
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 03, 2008, 09:37:56 am
Don't know how reliable this info is, but someone (that other Auburn posters respect alot) just posted that Tubs is definetly out and will become the new Miss State coach. Others are posting that they have heard confirmation, too, that Tubs is definetly out.
I wouldn't mind seeing Tubby out of the SEC-W but part of me would enjoy him going to Miss. St. just to continue to hurt Hootie and OM...

hog_fan

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on December 03, 2008, 02:16:15 pm

I think is wishful dreaming on Auburn's part.

GuvHog

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on December 03, 2008, 02:16:15 pm

I don't know what to believe about this. People on this board have posted that the "No compete"
clause is for the SEC West only, but I've had people who would know including a former Board
of Trustees member tell meet that it's for the whole SEC.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: Lard on December 03, 2008, 01:41:10 pm
I'm church of Christ as well....all i was saying is that when your bosses are catholic priests and they expect you to promote Catholic views and principles and you likely disagree with a large portion of their doctrine, then there would be a little bit of a conflict there.

If Tubby is half as conservative in his religion as he is in his offense, there is no way he and ND could dance together.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 03, 2008, 01:11:07 pm

3. LSU, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia have Kicked Auburns butt in recruiting the
    last couple years and it isn't going to get any better, just worse.

The last 3 years Auburn has finished 10th, 6th, and 20th in recruiting (and currently 12th).   Only in 2008 was Georgia, Florida, and Alabama all ranked ahead of them.  I would say TT has held his own in recruiting. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 03, 2008, 02:59:24 pm
The last 3 years Auburn has finished 10th, 6th, and 20th in recruiting (and currently 12th).   Only in 2008 was Georgia, Florida, and Alabama all ranked ahead of them.  I would say TT has held his own in recruiting. 

I would say you're wrong. The low talent level on this years Auburn team plus a 2-6 Conference record proves that.