Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don’t cry for me Argentina!

Started by ALLVOL, December 01, 2008, 05:09:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

We didnt get my first choice but I will give our new coach a chance. There's a lot of talent for him to work with and a good recruiting class has already been started for him to just finish up. It looks like he has some good staffers that will join him.

lovetthog1

Who could have been a better choice than Petrino ? Just curious who your first choice was ?

PorkSoda

Quote from: lovetthog1 on December 01, 2008, 05:13:01 pm
Who could have been a better choice than Petrino ? Just curious who your first choice was ?
Judging by his screen name, I think he was talking about kiffin.

by the way ALLVOL, who was your first choice?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ALLVOL

Quote from: lovetthog1 on December 01, 2008, 05:13:01 pm

Butch Davis was my first choice. I think he is the best overall coach in the NCAA. We all but had him. The money was not the issue, a title and responsibilities were.

Porklandia

I am not sure how LK will do overall, but their defense is gonna be scary good with MK running the Tampa 2. MK is to defense what Gus is to offense.
Put a Hog on it!

opineonswine

I was not excited about Kiffin when he was on our list, but I was going to give him my all.  Clearly, we did better.  Hope it turns out for the Vols.

You hearing anything about the old defensive coaches?

idiotghos

The idea of Butch Davis coaching tinner scared me.  Even the prospect of Brian Kelly coming to knoxville gave me a few chills.  Kiffin?  Not so much. 

ALLVOL

Quote from: opineonswine on December 01, 2008, 05:22:23 pm
I was not excited about Kiffin when he was on our list, but I was going to give him my all.  Clearly, we did better.  Hope it turns out for the Vols.

You hearing anything about the old defensive coaches?
Chavis is getting a lot of talk. LSU and Ark as well as some NFL. He is for real.

ALLVOL

Quote from: idiotghos on December 01, 2008, 05:23:58 pm
The idea of Butch Davis coaching tinner scared me.  Even the prospect of Brian Kelly coming to knoxville gave me a few chills.  Kiffin?  Not so much. 

Well then you were very, very close to having to change your underwear my friend. Very close!

The_Bionic_Pig

eight other states: Kentucky and Virginia to the north; North Carolina to the east; Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi on the south; Arkansas and Missouri on the Mississippi River to the west.  So they should not have too much trouble stealing a recruit or two from the above list. 

It will be interesting to see how the Kiffin Defense performs against the Urban Meyer Spread & Alabama Run game next season.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogSlop

December 01, 2008, 05:32:03 pm #10 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:55:37 pm by HogSlop
Quote from: kenh2112 on December 01, 2008, 05:19:18 pm
I am not sure how LK will do overall, but their defense is gonna be scary good with MK running the Tampa 2. MK is to defense what Gus is to offense.
Don't get me wrong I like both, but there's really no comparing Kiffin to Malzahn. Kiffin's been at it WAY longer and is a proven defensive genius.
If you just Steven hill, just Steven Hill on Facebook too. Just the link...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43888077153#/group.php?gid=43888077153

ALLVOL

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 01, 2008, 05:30:54 pm
eight other states: Kentucky and Virginia to the north; North Carolina to the east; Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi on the south; Arkansas and Missouri on the Mississippi River to the west.  So they should not have too much trouble stealing a recruit or two from the above list. 

It will be interesting to see how the Kiffin Defense performs against the Urban Meyer Spread & Alabama Run game next season.

There will be a bunch of unknowns next year for the VOLS. Like all fan bases we have some that are way out in la la land thinking he is the next coming. I hope he is and I will be supportive and still write my check. But we can only wait and see how he handles things in big boy college football.

Porklandia

Quote from: HogSlop on December 01, 2008, 05:32:03 pm
Don't get wrong I like both, but there's really no comparing Kiffin to Malzahn. Kiffin's been at it WAY longer and is a proven defensive genius.

You are correct. I was mainly comparing their innovativeness (is that even a word?)
Put a Hog on it!

HogSlop

Quote from: kenh2112 on December 01, 2008, 06:01:40 pm
You are correct. I was mainly comparing their innovativeness (is that even a word?)
I'll give you that.

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 01, 2008, 05:16:17 pm
Butch Davis was my first choice. I think he is the best overall coach in the NCAA. We all but had him. The money was not the issue, a title and responsibilities were.

BS
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Kiffin will be fine for UT... He's young and hungry.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: gguillo on December 01, 2008, 10:11:39 pm
Kiffin will be fine for UT... He's young and hungry.

Doesnt always translate into W's
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

ar_sports_talk

Yeah, right.
Need a good laugh?  Click below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVr8nvs6re0

Feralhog

December 01, 2008, 10:21:52 pm #18 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:36:10 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: ar_sports_talk on December 01, 2008, 10:18:47 pm
Yeah, right.

Exactly. There may have been talks, but it never got anywhere near what AllVol is trying to suggest. If there was anything of substance, I'm highly confident I would have caught wind of something from among about a half dozen people I know who have close ties to BD.  All I got was krikets.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

ALLVOL

December 02, 2008, 01:34:38 pm #19 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:41:43 pm by ALLVOL
Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 10:21:52 pm
Exactly. There may have been talks, but it never got anywhere near what AllVol is trying to suggest. If there was anything of substance, I'm highly confident I would have caught wind of something from among about a half dozen people I know who have close ties to BD.  All I got was krikets.   
You can think what you want and listen to your "sources" but I know for a fact what occured. It is not a slap at Ark. Just a fact.

Maverick Razorback

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 01:34:38 pm
You can think what you want and listen to your "sources" but I know for a fact what occured. It is slap at Ark. Just a fact.
Why would anyone consider it a slap at Arkansas? He's still at NC..not Tennessee. Close really doesnt amount to anything in College Football.
We came close to winning enough games to make a bowl.
You came close to getting Butch Davis.
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Maverick Razorback on December 02, 2008, 01:43:22 pm
Why would anyone consider it a slap at Arkansas? He's still at NC..not Tennessee. Close really doesnt amount to anything in College Football.
We came close to winning enough games to make a bowl.
You came close to getting Butch Davis.
He seems to think that it would have been a slap in the face if BD went to UT or even talked to UT. I have no idea why. His hatred of UT is so ovewhelming its amazing. I didnt aim that at any other Hog fan. Sorry if it came across that way.

Maverick Razorback

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 01:47:30 pm
He seems to think that it would have been a slap in the face if BD went to UT or even talked to UT. I have no idea why. His hatred of UT is so ovewhelming its amazing. I didnt aim that at any other Hog fan. Sorry if it came across that way.
8)
I guess everyone has thier team to hate..Tennessee is not one of mine.

We had our chance with Butch and passed it up. He may remember that one day.
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

ALLVOL

December 02, 2008, 04:19:12 pm #23 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:25:55 pm by ALLVOL
Quote from: Maverick Razorback on December 02, 2008, 01:58:30 pm
8)
I guess everyone has thier team to hate..Tennessee is not one of mine.

We had our chance with Butch and passed it up. He may remember that one day.

I know what you mean. I am amazed that so many Hog fans dislike UT. Most UT fans I know are stunned to find that out. LSU, Ole Miss and Alabama make much more sense to me. But for what ever reason there are some who hate UT. What ever...

I hate all of the orange-clad UTs.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Karma on December 02, 2008, 04:23:50 pm
I hate all of the orange-clad UTs.

I understand Texas as they were your Rival when Ark played in the much inferior SWC. Thats why bammer, LSU and now Ole Miss make sense.

UT was good when we joined the SEC, and we played you guys yearly. The 98 game was so traumamatic that I've wished bad things on UT ever since.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 04:19:12 pm
I know what you mean. I am amazed that so many Hog fans dislike UT. Most UT fans I know are stunned to find that out. LSU, Ole Miss and Alabama make much more sense to me. But for what ever reason there are some who hate UT. What ever...

Orange makes my blood boil.  I think you can blame my hatred of TN on Texass.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Albert Swinestein

Allvol...that is not true about TN almost landing Butch Davis.  Where did you hear that?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Albert Swinestein on December 02, 2008, 04:47:02 pm
Allvol...that is not true about TN almost landing Butch Davis.  Where did you hear that?

It's very much true.

Albert Swinestein

Actually, it is the furthest thing from the truth.  Butch and Tammy Davis (and their son Drew) are personal friends of my family.  Again, where did you hear that?
Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 04:57:46 pm
It's very much true.

ALLVOL

December 02, 2008, 05:05:30 pm #31 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:07:19 pm by ALLVOL
Quote from: Albert Swinestein on December 02, 2008, 05:02:48 pm
Actually, it is the furthest thing from the truth.  Butch and Tammy Davis (and their son Drew) are personal friends of my family.  Again, where did you hear that?
I wont say where I get information. But I knew before just about anyone that Friday the deal was done with LK. The reason? The deal fell through with BD.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: kenh2112 on December 01, 2008, 05:19:18 pm
I am not sure how LK will do overall, but their defense is gonna be scary good with MK running the Tampa 2. MK is to defense what Bill Walsh is to offense.

Fixed that for ya!  ;)
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

ALLVOL

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on December 02, 2008, 05:06:03 pm
Fixed that for ya!  ;)
That is good. Seeing how the T2 was primarily designed to go against the West coast offense.

Albert Swinestein

Allvol...whatever.  If you are willing to PM, I will tell you who I am...but Butch was never interested in the TN job.  You are getting bad information and I can also tell you how I know.
Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 05:05:30 pm
I wont say where I get information. But I knew before just about anyone that Friday the deal was done with LK. The reason? The deal fell through with BD.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 04:19:12 pm

UT/TU, burnt orange, it all gets confusing when you add adrenaline

I don't hate them but love to beat them

LRMedHawg

I am not so sure that his dad is coming along with him.  He is set up pretty well right where his is.  If he didn't follow him to Oakland (which makes more sense to me) then why would he go Tenn with him?  All that being said if he does go with him then that will be a big get for Tenn, otherwise I don't think Kiffin can hang with the big boys.   

ALLVOL

Quote from: LRMedHawg on December 02, 2008, 06:34:33 pm
I am not so sure that his dad is coming along with him.  He is set up pretty well right where his is.  If he didn't follow him to Oakland (which makes more sense to me) then why would he go Tenn with him?  All that being said if he does go with him then that will be a big get for Tenn, otherwise I don't think Kiffin can hang with the big boys.  
That was the biggest rub. Al Davis wouldnt let him fire the DC. That's where it all started.

HogSlop

Quote from: LRMedHawg on December 02, 2008, 06:34:33 pm
I believe they announced on ESPN this morning that Monte would join the UT staff when the Bucs season is over. They also said he wasn't able to coach at Oakland with him, and I think that had something to do with Lane not being able to fire Rex Ryan. (or doing anything else that would've helped them win. Al Davis < caveman)

SquidBilly

Kiffin is in over his head at UT.  He's been given way too much credit throughout his coaching career, mostly because of who his dad is.  He was on the offensive staff at USC but was not the coordinator.  He was recruiting coordinator there but I believe any of us could recruit to USC.  Pete Carroll and Snoop Dogg were why kids wanted to go to USC, not Lane Kiffin.  And then he never deserved to be in the pros.  He was 4th or 5th choice for the raiders job after the USC offensive coordinator, Steve Sarkisian, turned Al Davis down.  Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have to absolutely be loving the fact that they are going to get to lay a beating on Kiffin the next couple of years.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 01, 2008, 05:09:51 pm
We didnt get my first choice but I will give our new coach a chance. There's a lot of talent for him to work with and a good recruiting class has already been started for him to just finish up. It looks like he has some good staffers that will join him.

Congrads ALLVOL you got a guy that will lead you back to being the BEAST of the SEC EAST!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ALLVOL

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 02, 2008, 07:00:45 pm
Kiffin is in over his head at UT.  He's been given way too much credit throughout his coaching career, mostly because of who his dad is.  He was on the offensive staff at USC but was not the coordinator.  He was recruiting coordinator there but I believe any of us could recruit to USC.  Pete Carroll and Snoop Dogg were why kids wanted to go to USC, not Lane Kiffin.  And then he never deserved to be in the pros.  He was 4th or 5th choice for the raiders job after the USC offensive coordinator, Steve Sarkisian, turned Al Davis down.  Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have to absolutely be loving the fact that they are going to get to lay a beating on Kiffin the next couple of years.
He was the OC for 2 years. Check your facts and you will see.

Click here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

ALLVOL

I should also add that Pete C was on the sports talk radio yesterday afternoon on the local Knoxville station and Pete himself stated "Lane called the plays and was the OC. You guys know how rumors get started, I cant tell you why but they do but he was the OC and called the plays".

lazyj70

All I want to know is who Albert Swinestein is.

SquidBilly

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 07:17:58 pm
He was the OC for 2 years. Check your facts and you will see.

Click here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Read the reference you link before you start calling anyone out for their facts:

Despite all the teams achievements, Kiffin's work with the Trojans over his two-year period as offensive coordinator is sometimes harshly judged for what it did not accomplish – win national championships – as compared to the previous two seasons in 2003 and 2004  Furthermore offensive play-calling responsibilities for USC were shared during this period with QB coach Steve Sarkisian having on-the-field approval for Kiffin's suggestions and head coach Pete Carroll maintaining veto power. Lack of clarity and final say over play calling responsibility has left some controversy over how much decision making power Kiffin wielded versus Sarkisian and Carroll during his two-year tenure as offensive coordinator.

hawgsav1

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 02, 2008, 08:14:47 pm
Read the reference you link before you start calling anyone out for their facts:

Despite all the teams achievements, Kiffin's work with the Trojans over his two-year period as offensive coordinator is sometimes harshly judged for what it did not accomplish – win national championships – as compared to the previous two seasons in 2003 and 2004  Furthermore offensive play-calling responsibilities for USC were shared during this period with QB coach Steve Sarkisian having on-the-field approval for Kiffin's suggestions and head coach Pete Carroll maintaining veto power. Lack of clarity and final say over play calling responsibility has left some controversy over how much decision making power Kiffin wielded versus Sarkisian and Carroll during his two-year tenure as offensive coordinator.

Bingo! 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 01:34:38 pm
You can think what you want and listen to your "sources" but I know for a fact what occured. It is not a slap at Ark. Just a fact.

Not a slap at Arkansas and you can place all the frieken quotation marks around "sources" you want.  I'll stand by my reputation for bringing accurate info to this board.  Bottom line is this slick.  The people I know in the loop WOULD know if BD was having serious talks with Tennessee.  In a word, your source sux.

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 02, 2008, 05:05:30 pm

I assume we have a post from you, long before the news hit the wire, stating the deal with BD fell through and Tenn was hiring Kiffin?

donewithdale

Its been obvious for a few years that Brian Kelly is the next Urban Meyer.  Once the great rebuilder Butch wasn't available, millions should have been thrown at Kelly.

Cave City Joe

Is it solid that MK will jion LK at UT?  He makes more at Tampa than all of UT assistants combined.  The story will be told by his recruiting.  He will need some staff familar with SEC to recruit.  Big O willl help if he brings him in.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra