5. Fulmer
6. Spurrier
7. Nutt
8. Miles
9. Tuberville
10. Brooks
11. Johnson
12. Croom

My rankings are based on who I would hire today and the order I would hire them.
1.  Saban
2.  Meyer
3.  Petrino
4.  Spurrier
5.  Johnson
6.  Tuberville
7.  Richt
8.  Brooks
9.  Miles
10. Kiffin
11. Nutt
12. Don't know who it will be

I'll catch hell for rating Nutt so low but I likely know him better than some of the others.  He can't coach on gameday, he doesn't recruit well, he hasn't developed a QB ever and that is very important and he can't take responsibility for his actions. 

hoghelmet14

First - Petrino (I am a Homer)

Tied for Last - Fulmer and Nutt (cant stand either of them)
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on December 01, 2008, 09:14:06 pm
My rankings are based on who I would hire today and the order I would hire them.
1.  Saban
2.  Meyer
3.  Petrino
4.  Spurrier
5.  Johnson
6.  Tuberville
7.  Richt
8.  Brooks
9.  Miles
10. Kiffin
11. Nutt
12. Don't know who it will be

I'll catch hell for rating Nutt so low but I likely know him better than some of the others.  He can't coach on gameday, he doesn't recruit well, he hasn't developed a QB ever and that is very important and he can't take responsibility for his actions. 

I don't have a problem with you rating HDN so low, I just can't believe you have the
unmitigated gall to rank TT that high!!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jmingram911

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 01, 2008, 02:44:55 pm
I. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Petrino
4. Richt
5.Spurrier
6. Miles
7. Fulmer
8. Johnson
9. Nutt
10. Tuberville - Firing Al Borges was sheer stupidity on TTs part so he deserves this low ranking.
11. Brooks
12. Croom

Looks good to me. Thanks for keeping me from having to write all of this out myself.

SiriusHog™

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Richt
4. Miles
5. Petrino
6. Tuberville
7. Johnson
8. Spurrier
9. Fulmer
10. Nutt
11. Croom
12. Brooks

GuvHog

Quote from: SiriusHog™ on December 01, 2008, 09:26:16 pm
1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Richt
4. Miles
5. Petrino
6. Tuberville
7. Johnson
8. Spurrier
9. Fulmer
10. Nutt
11. Croom
12. Brooks

I refer you to my last post (Reply #53), it applies to you too.

Throwback1

Quote from: hamsam on December 01, 2008, 01:51:52 pm
I would like to see where everyone ranks the SEC coaches....give reasons if you want!

1. Saban-pretty obvious to me
2. Meyer-We will find out how good he is when he loses Timmy Teabags
3. Johnson-Could anyone else get Vandy bowl eligible?
4. Petrino-going by his past and the fact that I am a HOMER ;D
5. Tuberville-down this year but he is not afraid to surround himself with great assistants...he will turn it around quick.
6. Miles-he did lead a team to the NC (no matter how undeserving of that chance they were)
7. Spurrier-game has left him behind...I think....I doubt that many could do any better at USC-E
8. Richt-he is right there with Nutt in the "Does less with more" category
9. Nutt-He can get by with motivational skill for a few years.
10. Brooks-even though he does seem to have our number :-\
11. Fulmer-the last few years have really important Cutcliffe was to his success
12.Croom-what can you say......he would have probably done much better elsewhere.
Petrino
Saban
Meyers
Spurrier
Johnson
Tuberville
Richt
Fulmer
Brooks
Croom
Miles
Nutt
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

CORZRBACKFAN

December 01, 2008, 10:36:25 pm #58 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:41:15 pm by CORZRBACKFAN
1. Saban-the results speak for themselves. Bama was irrelevant, and he turned them around almost overnight. He won the title with his own players, so I gave him a very slight nod over Urban.
2.  Meyer-he did a great job at Utah, and he has truly risen to the challenge at UF. If Florida goes on to win the title in 2008, Meyer becomes the undisputed #1.
3.  Richt-due to his consistency, I ranked UGA's coach very close to #1 going into the season. Still a very solid coach that almost any program in America would love to have. However, after what he did in 2008 with a team as loaded as Georgia is, the obvious question of whether he can actually win the big one comes out. I believe he will.
4. Petrino-hey SEC, enjoy laughing at Arkansas while you can. The circus act coaching and easy wins over Arkansas are days of the past! This man can recruit with anyone, and he did a very admirable job taking over a young team that had lost several of the best players ever to set foot on the Fayetteville campus.
5. Tuberville-he should have had a shot at the national title in 2004. True, he had a horrible 2008 season, but the man still finished in the top 20 six of his ten years at Auburn. Not at all an easy task when you're in the SEC. If Auburn fires him, it will be a grave error, and it will be someone else's gain.
6. Johnson-if you can win at Vanderbilt, you have my complete respect. As a Denver resident, I have to believe a fair amount of Jay Cutler's great talent was learned from this man. Getting Vanderbilt to a bowl game easily puts him in the top half of SEC coaches in my book.
7. Spurrier-In the day, he was definitely #1. Now he's a has been, and a never will be at USC.
8. Miles: the most overrated coach in the SEC, but he still has a national championship to his credit. That being said, his two loss national title was a fluke. Even before he got to LSU, I was never blown away by his game day coaching. He's an arrogant clown who is going to get exposed for what he is: a farce.
9. Kiffin: he has no formal SEC record to go on, but he's listed ahead of other active SEC coaches on the basis of having been to hell and back working for Al Davis. I question whether UT was the best fit for him, but I think that he's going to make some noise if he gets his pops to come along for the ride.
10. Brooks: His SEC record is atrocious, and his team looked like a horse at Oaklawn that looked really strong coming out of the gate, then faded dramatically after a 1/4th of a mile. I use the horse analogy because this man is nothing but a tired horse that needs to go out to pasture.
11. Nutt: I hate the man, but is he honestly really worse than whoever will be the head coach at Mississippi State? C'mon, try to be objective before you tell me hell yes!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

hogsndawgs

Quote from: HOG FAN 4 LIFE on December 01, 2008, 06:02:42 pm
Petrino - #1

Nobody is putting him there.  No faith?  This is the Hogs forum right?  We need to all have the mindset that we have the best coach.

I think BP will become one of the best, but you can't put him up there right now based only on what he did in the Big East. If you want me to rank them in order of which is my favorite, BP gets #1. Give it time and stop being such a Rick Shaeffer. ;)

hogfanshan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 01, 2008, 08:53:46 pm
It should be obvious to anyone that TCTWF is ranked 12th and BP is in the top three.

I agree, Petrino in the top 3, could move up to 1 or 2 in the next year.

However, I would have to reluctantly say that TCTWF is better than Miles. LSU has possibly the most overrated coach in football. And, Nutt beat him the past two years.

hamsam

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 01, 2008, 09:19:16 pm
I don't have a problem with you rating HDN so low, I just can't believe you have the
unmitigated gall to rank TT that high!!!

DANG!! Why all the hate for TT....you a closet Aubbie or did Tubbs steal your girlfriend in high school??? ;D
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

GuvHog

Quote from: hamsam on December 01, 2008, 11:19:12 pm
DANG!! Why all the hate for TT....you a closet Aubbie or did Tubbs steal your girlfriend in high school??? ;D

I don't hate TT, I just don't think he's as good of a HC as many people do and his recent hirings and firings seem to lend credence to my beliefs.

hogman64

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 01, 2008, 05:00:54 pm
I love how so many rank coaches who have never won anything of significance over those who have.

You will not have to worry about that anymore now the you have Kiffin.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: hogfanshan on December 01, 2008, 10:46:59 pm
I agree, Petrino in the top 3, could move up to 1 or 2 in the next year.

However, I would have to reluctantly say that TCTWF is better than Miles. LSU has possibly the most overrated coach in football. And, Nutt beat him the past two years.

Again, I agree that BP will likely be on that top 3 or 4 (or even #1) spot by the time it's all said and done, but what are you basing him being in the top 3 on? A Big East title and a BCS victory doesn't immediately put you ahead of all of the great coaches in the SEC when you are 2-6. It is Nutt's fault that he is 2-6, but the fact remains that he is 2-6. Let him earn it. I have no doubt that he will. I'm sure BP would be the first to admit that he has yet to earn anything, but that he will in short order. He is a classy guy like that, unlike our former coach.

HOGSWEAT

1.Saban
2.Meyer
3.Richt
4.Petrino
5.Tubby
6.Spurrier
7.Johnson
8.Croom
9.Brooks
10.Fulmer
11.Miles
12.Nutt

AFWarrior83

December 02, 2008, 03:33:18 am #66 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:51:18 am by AFWarrior83
Quote from: WarEagle on December 01, 2008, 02:38:06 pm
1.  Meyer-I was originally a doubter, but he has been fantastic
2.  Saban-He is a snake, but he can flat-out coach
3.  Spurrier - a legend in his prime, but he is slipping
4.  Richt - very solid. 
5.  Tuberville - on very thin ice after this season.
6.  Miles - fun to watch, but I have never been convinced about him
7.  Petrino - hard to tell from just one season
8.  Nutt - a decent, but not great coach.  Will keep Ole Miss somewhat competitive
9.  Fullmer - a gradual slide down
10.  Johnson - does a pretty good job at a place that is not a traditional power
11.  Brooks - storybook season by Vandy standards, but will this be a one-time thing or can he keep them competitive?
12.  Croom-I hate to put him last, but he just hasn't gotten it done.  Classy guy.

I like this one, but put Petrino followed by Nutt over Miles.  I think eventually Petrino can move up into the top 3, but he hasn't proved himself in the SEC yet.
Hogville member since 2005.

olivebranchhog

1.Meyer-consistantly draws great recruits and adapts to the talent he recieves
2.Satan-IMHO can only coach great athletes, without great recruting he wouldnt have a job
3.Richt-Some say he does less with more, but that 25-6 SEC road record dont look like "less" to me
4.Petrino-Had a great year with an inconsistant qb running a system some said wouldnt work in the SEC
5.Johnson-Does more with less than anyone in the conference, and does it with class
6a.Tubby-Good coach, Average recruiter, reminds me of Nutt with a brain
6b.Spurrier-Supposedly gets the recruits he wants every year, but does nothing with them.
8.Kiffin-Bringing in talented assistants, and will draw in some good recruits
9.Brooks-The only team he can beat is us :(. so he goes way down here
10.Croom-well he just got the axe, but he did beat bama that one time so he gets a boost.
11.Miles-Any man that can't pronounce Arkansas drops 3 spots but he actually deserves to be 11th so it works out
12.Nutt-finshed 75-48 at Arkansas while playing historically the 3rd easiest schedule in the conference. Less with more is all I can think to describe his career. Mcfadden, Jones 1&2, Stoerner, Lucas, Hamlin, Kennedy, Bua, Olajabutu, Andrews, Ugoh,etc..
YOU GETS NO LOVE NUTT!!!
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

i like the # 7

1.  Meyer
2.  Saban
3.  Richt
4.  Petrino
5.  Tuberville
6.  Spurrier
7.  Fulmer
8.  Miles
9.  Johnson
10. Croom
11. Nutt
12. Brooks
People say if it flies it dies. Well i say if it just sits there it still dies.

hamsam

after a little research, I would have to move Richt up a couple of spots ahead of the Hat......he has won a lot of games but lost a few he shouldn't have. I just flat don't believe in the Hat. I say LSU has won in spite of him, not because of him.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Throwback1

Quote from: Throwback1 on December 01, 2008, 10:23:45 pm
Petrino
Saban
Meyers
Spurrier
Johnson
Tuberville
Richt
Fulmer
Brooks
Croom
Miles
Nutt
OK, some clarification, I ranked these coaches as if the question was, "Who would be the coach of the Razorbacks if you could pick any SEC coach?", fwiw.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

OahuHawg

1. Saban- Simply awesome what he has done at Alabama.
2. Johnson- C'mon Vandy bowl eligible? In the SEC? This year, he deserves the recognition. Even though he slid at the end, its impossible to keep up that kind of pace with that schedule and that talent.
3. Brooks- Kentucky used to be another joke of the SEC. Now, they are a few close games away from being at the top of the East.
4. Meyer- The guy brings in alot of talent, but seems to lose a game that leaves you shaking your head wondering....
5. Petrino- Love havin him here and has recruited some great talent coming in. We'll see if he can turn that into Ws.
6. Richt- Not the best playcaller, but this guy can recruit
7. Tuberville/Spurrier- Both of these coaches are dangerous to play every saturday, but it seems to me that the SEC tempo has sped up past their level lately.
9. Nutt- Pulls some games out of his hat every once in a while but then loses the ones that he shouldn't. Excellent at finding underrated talent though.
10. Croom- Even though he's not there anymore. Classy guy, but the game in the SEC is too fast for him. You gotta have some 'O', can't just rely on good 'D' to win championships
11. Fulmer- Was exposed as having a good eye for assistant coaches but since they all went on to other things he couldn't keep the show going. Maybe he was tired however. Good luck to him. Its amazing these days to be at a school that long.
12. Miles- Worst coach in the SEC. Imagine that.... defending national champs. He's got truckloads of talent, unlimited resources, and national popularity and the guy still loses. His wins last season turned out not to be strokes of genious, but incredible strokes of luck. Had several of those plays went the other way last season and he had lost three more, he'd be gone this season. Some of the worst playcalling ever, and I can't say that someone is a great recruiter when he does nothing to recruit. Players go to him. Thats like saying Carroll is a great recruiter, the guy just opens his office door and there is the nations elite standing in line for an oppertunity to play.

lovethosehogs

1-saban
2-meyers
3-richt
4-petrino
5-spurrier
6-nutt
7-miles
8-Kiffin
9-Tuberville
10-Johnson
11-brooks
12-state

Blue35

Petrino, Saban, Meyer, Tuberville, the rest all about the same, average or below. Croom was way in over his head.

Stud_Fan

Saban-Petrino
Meyer-Richt-Spurrier-Miles
blahblahblah
CF. Go Hogs!

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Saban
Meyer
Richt
Tuberville + Petrino tied
Spurrier
Johnson
Nutt
Miles
Fulmer
Brooks
Croom

Smokehouse

Quote from: hamsam on December 02, 2008, 11:04:51 am
after a little research, I would have to move Richt up a couple of spots ahead of the Hat......he has won a lot of games but lost a few he shouldn't have. I just flat don't believe in the Hat. I say LSU has won in spite of him, not because of him.

Richt is 81-21 overall at UGA and a class act, I'd take that any day (if we didn't have BP, that is, luckily I'm somewhat of a UGA fan and can enjoy both!)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.