Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the SEC coaches 1 thru 12--your opinion

Started by hamsam, December 01, 2008, 01:51:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hamsam

I would like to see where everyone ranks the SEC coaches....give reasons if you want!

1. Saban-pretty obvious to me
2. Meyer-We will find out how good he is when he loses Timmy Teabags
3. Johnson-Could anyone else get Vandy bowl eligible?
4. Petrino-going by his past and the fact that I am a HOMER ;D
5. Tuberville-down this year but he is not afraid to surround himself with great assistants...he will turn it around quick.
6. Miles-he did lead a team to the NC (no matter how undeserving of that chance they were)
7. Spurrier-game has left him behind...I think....I doubt that many could do any better at USC-E
8. Richt-he is right there with Nutt in the "Does less with more" category
9. Nutt-He can get by with motivational skill for a few years.
10. Brooks-even though he does seem to have our number :-\
11. Fulmer-the last few years have really important Cutcliffe was to his success
12.Croom-what can you say......he would have probably done much better elsewhere.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Feralhog

1a Saban
1b Meyer
1c Petrino
4 Richt
5 Spurrier
6 Johnson
7 Tubberville
8 Brooks
9 Nutt
10 Miles
11 a Fulmer (gone)
11 b Croom (gone)
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

The Hogfather

From my thread about Miles sucking:

Saban
Meyer
Petrino
Richt
Spurrier
Tuberville
Fulmer
Johnson
Miles
Nutt
Brooks
Croom

JIHawg

Petrino #1, Nutt #12, everybody else in between.

The_Iceman

no way nutt is better than fulmer.

also, as much as i like him, richt is over-rated.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

I've got Bobby Johnson close to the top... Not near Saban, Meyer, and BP... but up there with them.  He's been helping Vandy for sometime now and will find a great job in the next year or 2.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'd put Kiffin at about 14 after Croom and Fulmer.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

dr_arkansawyer

1.  Meyer
2.  Saban
3.  Petrino
4.  Fulmer
5.  Tuberville
6.  Miles
7.  Richt
8.  Spurrier
9.  Croom
10. Nutt
11. Johnson
12. Brooks
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

jst01

I think I read that Georgia had won 10 games a season for 5 consecutive years until this year. If they win the bowl game they will have made that 6 years. Thats pretty dang good in the SEC imo.  Richt has to be in the top 5 at least. 

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Richt
4. Petrino
5. Johnson

Feralhog

Quote from: jst01 on December 01, 2008, 02:14:54 pm
I think I read that Georgia had won 10 games a season for 5 consecutive years until this year. If they win the bowl game they will have made that 6 years. Thats pretty dang good in the SEC imo.  Richt has to be in the top 5 at least. 

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Richt
4. Petrino
5. Johnson

I actually had Richt among the 1a,b, and c list but I've noticed that his teams haven't been able to get it done when they were labeled front runners.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

HogFactor

1.  Saban
2.  Petrino
3.  Tuberville
4.  Meyer
5.  Richt
6.  Spurrier
7.  Nutt
8.  Johnson
9.  Miles
10.  Fulmer
11.  Brooks
12.  Croom

Feralhog

Quote from: HogFactor on December 01, 2008, 02:28:56 pm
1.  Saban
2.  Petrino
3.  Tuberville
4.  Meyer
5.  Richt
6.  Spurrier
7.  Nutt
8.  Johnson
9.  Miles
10.  Fulmer
11.  Brooks
12.  Croom

Interesting.  Tubberville before Meyers. 

WarEagle

1.  Meyer-I was originally a doubter, but he has been fantastic
2.  Saban-He is a snake, but he can flat-out coach
3.  Spurrier - a legend in his prime, but he is slipping
4.  Richt - very solid. 
5.  Tuberville - on very thin ice after this season.
6.  Miles - fun to watch, but I have never been convinced about him
7.  Petrino - hard to tell from just one season
8.  Nutt - a decent, but not great coach.  Will keep Ole Miss somewhat competitive
9.  Fullmer - a gradual slide down
10.  Johnson - does a pretty good job at a place that is not a traditional power
11.  Brooks - storybook season by Vandy standards, but will this be a one-time thing or can he keep them competitive?
12.  Croom-I hate to put him last, but he just hasn't gotten it done.  Classy guy.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

GWFan

1.  Meyer
2.  Saban
3.  Richt
4.  Miles
5.  Tuberville
6.  Spurrier
7.  Johnson
8.  Petrino
9.  Fulmer
10. Croom
11. Nutt
12. Brooks

Lard

1) Meyer
2) Saban
3) Johnson
4) Petrino
5) Tuberville
6) Richt
7) Spurrier
8) Brooks
9) Nutt
10) Miles
11) MSU rumored candidates
12) Kiffin
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

GuvHog

December 01, 2008, 02:44:55 pm #15 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:52:58 pm by GUVHOG
I. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Petrino
4. Richt
5.Spurrier
6. Miles
7. Fulmer
8. Johnson
9. Nutt
10. Tuberville - Firing Al Borges was sheer stupidity on TTs part so he deserves this low ranking.
11. Brooks
12. Croom
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Hogfather

You guys with Petrino at or below #7 obviously have pizza for brains.

Nutts and Bolts

Richt regularly underachieves... Go back and look at the recruiting rankings... UGA should be a top 5 team EVERY YEAR according to the recruiting rankings
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Bacon The Saddle Again

1.  Saban  - The work he has done in Bama is crazy good
2.  Petrino - His recruiting at Arkansas and his body of work at UL are enough for me to believe he's the real deal.
3.  Meyer - The guy might be the best at utilizing the talent he has.
4.  Richt - It's only a matter of time before he wins the big one.
5.  Tubbs  - Plays a conservative style offense but balances it with the "gambler" moniker.  Unpredictable but stable.
6.  Spurrier  - Has lost touch with today's players I believe.  But he's still a good game planner and is capable of beating you on any given day.
7.  Johnson  - He's in a tough spot, but getting Vandy to a bowl game is a heck of an accomplishment.
8.  Kiffin  -  I might be crazy, but I think he's going to make UT a major player again.  He's young and energetic. He'll probably be a monster recruiter and when Al Davis left him alone, the Raiders looked like a legit NFL football team.
9.  Brooks  - Kentucky is a tough place to coach football, but Rich Brooks has made them a consistent bowl contendor yearly.
10.  Miles-  Has taken the top program in the SEC and has made them just another program.  He does have guts which I can appreciate, but it isn't tempered with brains.
11. Nutt  -  Nutt had a couple of great seasons with someone else's players in Arkansas too.  The fairy dust will soon blow away and they will be left with all the rah-rah without the wins.
12.  NA  - Mississippi State is coachless, but if Croom were still here, I would likely place him between Brooks and Miles.

GuvHog

Quote from: hamsam on December 01, 2008, 01:51:52 pm
I would like to see where everyone ranks the SEC coaches....give reasons if you want!

1. Saban-pretty obvious to me
2. Meyer-We will find out how good he is when he loses Timmy Teabags
3. Johnson-Could anyone else get Vandy bowl eligible?
4. Petrino-going by his past and the fact that I am a HOMER ;D
5. Tuberville-down this year but he is not afraid to surround himself with great assistants...he will turn it around quick.
6. Miles-he did lead a team to the NC (no matter how undeserving of that chance they were)
7. Spurrier-game has left him behind...I think....I doubt that many could do any better at USC-E
8. Richt-he is right there with Nutt in the "Does less with more" category
9. Nutt-He can get by with motivational skill for a few years.
10. Brooks-even though he does seem to have our number :-\
11. Fulmer-the last few years have really important Cutcliffe was to his success
12.Croom-what can you say......he would have probably done much better elsewhere.

I don't believe #5 will happen. TT has done too much damage to that program
in recent years. Saban's hiring at BAMA plus TT's stupidity in Firing AL Borges
then firing his replacement in mid-season is just too much for that program to
overcome under TT.

corpitguy

Count me in as one who thinks Richt is a great, wonderful guy who is probably coaching one level above his abilities.

I don't think Croom is as bad as folks say he is.  For that matter, who's to say that a guy like Johnson would do well at a school like Arkansas or Auburn?

Tied for first:
Saban
Meyer
Petrino

The middle tier:
Richt
Johnson
Tuberville

The bottom rung:
Spurrier
Miles
Fulmer
Brooks
Croom
Nutt

My reason for placing Richt and Tubby in the middle tier rather than bottom?  Easy.  They both have a history of winning.  Spurrier has clearly gone the way of the typewriter.  Have Tubby and Richt?  Maybe.  Only time will tell.  Fulmer and Nutt are both the same... both showed great promise and just didn't have it in the long run.  I put Johnson in the middle tier because though he's done great things with few expectations, who knows what the pressure of playing in a Top 25 school would do to him?  He's untested by those standards....

And that's the problem with finding a coach.  Only a few are tested... and most of them are either winning championships or going the way of Spurrier.  Only a few (Mack Brown, for instance) keep on winning.  A school's best hope, then, is to get lucky and find that coach right at the height of his career.

hoggystyle78

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Petrino
4. Johnson
5. Spurrier
6. Richt
7. Tuberville
8. Fulmer
9. Miles
10. Kiffin
11. Brooks
12. Nutt
13. Croom

TrumannRazorback24

You can mix any of the top 3 in any different order.

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Petrino
4. Johnson
5. Richt
6. Spurrier
7. Tuberville
8. Miles
9. Brooks
10. Fulmer
11. Nutt
12. Croom

thehill1414

1. Meyer
2. Saban

These 2 could flip flop Saturday

3. Richt (Georgia is always good. When 9 wins is a bad year, you are a great coach)
4. Tuberville (Has gone 13-0 in the SEC. Had one down year.)
5. Petrino (BCS winner with his own Louisville team. Could pass Tubs next year.)
6. Miles (NC Winner, but Saban's players)
7. Spurrier (NC Winner, but that was awhile back)
8. Johnson (Wins plenty for Vandy)
9. Nutt (Great motivator, horrible recruiter, usually can't win more than eight)
10. Brooks (Kentucky is always tough)
11. Kiffin (TBD, I could recruit and call plays for USC and they would still dominate)
12. MSU coach (TBD)

GuvHog

Quote from: thehill1414 on December 01, 2008, 03:19:02 pm
1. Meyer
2. Saban

These 2 could flip flop Saturday

3. Richt (Georgia is always good. When 9 wins is a bad year, you are a great coach)
4. Tuberville (Has gone 13-0 in the SEC. Had one down year.)
5. Petrino (BCS winner with his own Louisville team. Could pass Tubs next year.)
6. Miles (NC Winner, but Saban's players)
7. Spurrier (NC Winner, but that was awhile back)
8. Johnson (Wins plenty for Vandy)
9. Nutt (Great motivator, horrible recruiter, usually can't win more than eight)
10. Brooks (Kentucky is always tough)
11. Kiffin (TBD, I could recruit and call plays for USC and they would still dominate)
12. MSU coach (TBD)

Saying that TT had a down year is putting it very mildly. For TT this year was
a complete disaster. With both Saban and Myles Kicking TTs butt in recruiting,
the future doesn't look any better.

Feralhog

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on December 01, 2008, 02:54:34 pm
Richt regularly underachieves... Go back and look at the recruiting rankings... UGA should be a top 5 team EVERY YEAR according to the recruiting rankings

Actually, If you go back and look, UGA has a history of under achieving and it began long before Richt showed up. 

lovetthog1

1. Saban ( he turned around two SEC west teams now LSU,Bama)
2. Johnson ( none does more with less )
3. Petrino ( his body of work in college football )
4. Meyer ( he gets a lot of talent but recruiting is obviously big )
5. Brooks ( he competes in the hardest division of the toughest confer. does a lot with little.
6. Tubberville (hires great assitants and knows you need defense to win)
7. Spurrier ( forget about usc e the man was a great coach who still can bite ya )
8. Richt ( he gets my no one does less with more award )
9. Fulmer ( like frank wore out his welcome , did some great things though )
10. Nutt ( Luck and ignorance are his two best weapons )
11. Croom ( Miss St would be a dead end job for the best of coaches )
12. Miles ( The only guy with more luck and less ability than Nutt. Lost to a horrible Arkansas team by abandoning the run and barely came back on Troy St. This should be a no brainer.

hamsam

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 01, 2008, 03:04:28 pm
I don't believe #5 will happen. TT has done too much damage to that program
in recent years. Saban's hiring at BAMA plus TT's stupidity in Firing AL Borges
then firing his replacement in mid-season is just too much for that program to
overcome under TT.

If he could get an OC like, saaaaaay........Gus Mal-uh-zhan....think that might be enough to change your mind?
I agree that getting rid of Borges was a mistake but anyone can see that now.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

hamsam

Quote from: lovetthog1 on December 01, 2008, 03:50:41 pm
1. Saban ( he turned around two SEC west teams now LSU,Bama)
2. Johnson ( none does more with less )
3. Petrino ( his body of work in college football )
4. Meyer ( he gets a lot of talent but recruiting is obviously big )
5. Brooks ( he competes in the hardest division of the toughest confer. does a lot with little.
6. Tubberville (hires great assitants and knows you need defense to win)
7. Spurrier ( forget about usc e the man was a great coach who still can bite ya )
8. Richt ( he gets my no one does less with more award )
9. Fulmer ( like frank wore out his welcome , did some great things though )
10. Nutt ( Luck and ignorance are his two best weapons )11. Croom ( Miss St would be a dead end job for the best of coaches )
12. Miles ( The only guy with more luck and less ability than Nutt. Lost to a horrible Arkansas team by abandoning the run and barely came back on Troy St. This should be a no brainer.

Wish I would have come up with those two :) especially the one aobut ignorance! hilarious but true :D

lovetthog1

I will add to my posts that IMO the coaches that have the monster offensive and defensive lines that are literally pushing other teams around and have a really good quarterback and still find a way to loose to lower tier teams get the worst reviews for me. I watched LSU and Ole Miss play all year and they were pushing people around on the lines. Nutt had the qb too just can't coach worth a damn. At least Miles didnt have an experienced QB, but I still think very lowly of any coach who can't pronounce Arkansas .

Smolder

Lets try to be subjective. Putting Petrino ahead of Meyer is complete lunacy at this point. It may happen in time but Meyer has an NC on his resume, could be two after this year, and he took a Utah team to the BCS and won if I remember correctly.

RivercrestHog

1. Saban - thought about Meyer but Saban has turned it around real quick in Bama
2. Meyer - Florida looks posied to get Meyer his 2nd NC
3. Tuberville - may be fading away but until this year he's always been good
4. Petrino - would have put him at 3 but I'm gonna wait until he starts dominating
5. Johnson - he coaches at Vandy and he wins games enough said
6. Richt - underachieves but he teams are still good. I'd take GA's past few years
7. Spurrier - he's improved USC so that says something
8. Fulmer - he used to have it
9. Nutt - give him someone else's players and he can win
10. Brooks - doesn't look like they'll ever be more than an occasional giant-killer
11. Miles - he gets some of the best players in the country and still finds ways to screw up
12. Crooms - could never do it at MSU

hogsndawgs

December 01, 2008, 04:47:52 pm #32 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:51:28 pm by hogsndawgs
1. Nick Saban-He is a hard nosed coach and his results and recruiting ability speaks for itself.
2. Steve Spurrier-South Carolina has very little tradition, but Spurrier has raised the bar. He has consistently kept them at or above .500 and quite frankly, consistent bowl eligibility is a HUGE accomplishment for a team like SC in the SEC. Plus, we know what he can do at a school with more tradition and recruiting power from his days at UF.
3. Mark Richt-A lot of people are down on him based on his recruiting rankings not equalling his poll rankings. But recruiting rankings don't mean nearly as much as some people believe. i.e. Jamal Anderson (way better than expected...and at a totally different position), Batman Carrol (not nearly as good as the recruiting rankings would indicate), Casey Clausen (HUGE underachiever). Recruiting rankings are a general predictive guide, but they are akin to pre season rankings...they're just a guess. The bottom line to me is Mark Richt's incredible ability to win on the road in the SEC, he has a 25-5 record on the road in the SEC, that is simply unbelievable. He won 2 national championships as FSU's QB coach and coached at least one heisman QB in that span (Charlie Ward). His bowl record is 5-2 at UGA. Finally, he has never finished worse than 3rd in the SEC east. He has yet to win a national title and that is why I don't have him ranked as the top coach in the SEC.
4. Urban Meyer. He won a national championship with Ron Zook's players, but he did it quickly upon arrival at UF and he has continued to recruit players that have performed on the field. It appears as though UF will remain a SEC power as long as Meyer is around.
5. Tommy Tubberville-First, he earned a national title, or at least the right to play for one and was denied. Going 8-0 and winning the SEC championship game in the same season for a 9-0 SEC record may not be matched for some time (based on the prediction that UF beats Bama in Atlanta this year). Also, he won 6 straight against his schools arch rival which is tough to do even if you outmatch your opponent because of the emotion of a rivalry games. His defenses and ability to run the ball are always an incredible force.
6. Bobby Johnson-Anyone that can consistently win 4 or 5 games at Vanderbilt (a school that doesn't even have an athletic department, and that has highschool facilities, and strict acceptance rules) impresses the socks off of me. Not to mention he did a swell job with Mr. Cuttler...Oh yeah, and their first bowl birth in a couple or three decades.
7. Phil Fulmer-He's worn at his welcome at Tennessee, but I rank him ahead of Nutt because the man has class and he won a national title in his day. Nutt did neither of those things. Fulmer coached players like Peyton Manning and Jason Whitten who are NFL stars...IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT LANE KIFFIN IS ACTUALLY THE COACH NOW
8. Houston Nutt-He took an Arkansas program that had been virtually unsuccessful in the SEC and he made them competitive. He gave us a 'flash in the pan' and raised our expectation level by getting some big wins and exciting the fan base and the players. His problems were twofold, 1. He couldn't raise the program another level; and 2. He was a classless *******. At least he's someone elses problem now. That said, he will probably be able to sustain this new level of limited success at Ole Miss which for Ole Miss is quite a step up. In the end, his career there will likely end similarly to how it ended here.
9.Rich Brooks-He took a horrible Kentucky program and has done similar things to what Houston did at Arkansas, allthough to a lesser extent. (Granted UK is a lesser program than Arkanss to begin with) The problem is that even with a great QB, he has proven that he can't get them into contention for a division title.
10. Les Miles-Here is the man who gets my "more for less" award. Matt Flynn (Perriloux as a back up...who Miles obviously could not control), Byrd and Doucette at WR, Hester/Williams at RB,  a defense headlined by Dorsey, Zenon, Chevis Jackson, Ali Highsmith, and Craig Steltz: This is one of the all time great teams in college football history. How Les Miles lost two games (to UK and Arkansas) is beyond me. He made it into the national title game and won by drawing an incredibly weak Big 10 team, but that team would have been 14-0 if my grandmother had been the coach. And 7-5 this year? Totally unacceptable. LSU is the team in the SEC that is falling off of the map quickly.

*Bobby Petrino-I wanted to be a homer and rate him near the top because of his success at Louisville, but since that is the only thing on his resume I think that to be fair it is impossible to give him a ranking. Haters could argue that a coach who is 2-6 all time in the SEC should be ranked at #12, this is obviously unfair since he was dealing with TCTWF's recruits and he was implementing a completely new system. (see aTm, Michigan). Petrino has reinstated class and he has a top notch recruiting class on the way. I expect him to be widely considered one of the top 4 coaches in the SEC within a couple of years, maybe even the best, but to base his ranking on the first season or on speculation about subsequent seasons would be unfair. Therefore I chose not to rank him.

**MSU, vacant, but Croom's record speaks for itself. His SEC record was well below .500 and he only made one bowl game in his tenure. He cleaned up what had become a classless program, but as far as coaching them to any level of success...it just didn't happen.

Feralhog

Quote from: hogsndawgs on December 01, 2008, 04:47:52 pm
1. Nick Saban-He is a hard nosed coach and his results and recruiting ability speaks for itself.
2. Steve Spurrier-South Carolina has very little tradition, but Spurrier has raised the bar. He has consistently kept them at or above .500 and quite frankly, consistent bowl eligibility is a HUGE accomplishment for a team like SC in the SEC. Plus, we know what he can do at a school with more tradition and recruiting power from his days at UF.
3. Mark Richt-A lot of people are down on him based on his recruiting rankings not equalling his poll rankings. But recruiting rankings don't mean nearly as much as some people believe. i.e. Jamal Anderson (way better than expected...and at a totally different position), Batman Carrol (not nearly as good as the recruiting rankings would indicate), Casey Clausen (HUGE underachiever). Recruiting rankings are a general predictive guide, but they are akin to pre season rankings...they're just a guess. The bottom line to me is Mark Richt's incredible ability to win on the road in the SEC, he has a 25-5 record on the road in the SEC, that is simply unbelievable. He won 2 national championships as FSU's QB coach and coached at least one heisman QB in that span (Charlie Ward). His bowl record is 5-2 at UGA. Finally, he has never finished worse than 3rd in the SEC east. He has yet to win a national title and that is why I don't have him ranked as the top coach in the SEC.
4. Urban Meyer. He won a national championship with Ron Zook's players, but he did it quickly upon arrival at UF and he has continued to recruit players that have performed on the field. It appears as though UF will remain a SEC power as long as Meyer is around.
5. Tommy Tubberville-First, he earned a national title, or at least the right to play for one and was denied. Going 8-0 and winning the SEC championship game in the same season for a 9-0 SEC record may not be matched for some time (based on the prediction that UF beats Bama in Atlanta this year). Also, he won 6 straight against his schools arch rival which is tough to do even if you outmatch your opponent because of the emotion of a rivalry games. His defenses and ability to run the ball are always an incredible force.
6. Bobby Johnson-Anyone that can consistently win 4 or 5 games at Vanderbilt (a school that doesn't even have an athletic department, and that has highschool facilities, and strict acceptance rules) impresses the socks off of me. Not to mention he did a swell job with Mr. Cuttler...Oh yeah, and their first bowl birth in a couple or three decades.
7. Phil Fulmer-He's worn at his welcome at Tennessee, but I rank him ahead of Nutt because the man has class and he won a national title in his day. Nutt did neither of those things. Fulmer coached players like Peyton Manning and Jason Whitten who are NFL stars...IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT LANE KIFFIN IS ACTUALLY THE COACH NOW
8. Houston Nutt-He took an Arkansas program that had been virtually unsuccessful in the SEC and he made them competitive. He gave us a 'flash in the pan' and raised our expectation level by getting some big wins and exciting the fan base and the players. His problems were twofold, 1. He couldn't raise the program another level; and 2. He was a classless *******. At least he's someone elses problem now. That said, he will probably be able to sustain this new level of limited success at Ole Miss which for Ole Miss is quite a step up. In the end, his career there will likely end similarly to how it ended here.
9.Rich Brooks-He took a horrible Kentucky program and has done similar things to what Houston did at Arkansas, allthough to a lesser extent. (Granted UK is a lesser program than Arkanss to begin with) The problem is that even with a great QB, he has proven that he can't get them into contention for a division title.
10. Les Miles-Here is the man who gets my "more for less" award. Matt Flynn (Perriloux as a back up...who Miles obviously could not control), Byrd and Doucette at WR, Hester/Williams at RB,  a defense headlined by Dorsey, Zenon, Chevis Jackson, Ali Highsmith, and Craig Steltz: This is one of the all time great teams in college football history. How Les Miles lost two games (to UK and Arkansas) is beyond me. He made it into the national title game and won by drawing an incredibly weak Big 10 team, but that team would have been 14-0 if my grandmother had been the coach. And 7-5 this year? Totally unacceptable. LSU is the team in the SEC that is falling off of the map quickly.

*Bobby Petrino-I wanted to be a homer and rate him near the top because of his success at Louisville, but since that is the only thing on his resume I think that to be fair it is impossible to give him a ranking. Haters could argue that a coach who is 2-6 all time in the SEC should be ranked at #12, this is obviously unfair since he was dealing with TCTWF's recruits and he was implementing a completely new system. (see aTm, Michigan). Petrino has reinstated class and he has a top notch recruiting class on the way. I expect him to be widely considered one of the top 4 coaches in the SEC within a couple of years, maybe even the best, but to base his ranking on the first season or on speculation about subsequent seasons would be unfair. Therefore I chose not to rank him.

**MSU, vacant, but Croom's record speaks for itself. His SEC record was well below .500 and he only made one bowl game in his tenure. He cleaned up what had become a classless program, but as far as coaching them to any level of success...it just didn't happen.

Looking at your post history, I doubt we need to hold our breath in anticipation of the next time you refrain from making a homer post about Petrino.

ALLVOL

I love how so many rank coaches who have never won anything of significance over those who have.

davis01

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 01, 2008, 02:48:41 pm
You guys with Petrino at or below #7 obviously have pizza for brains.
You can't rate Petrino any higher than that until he proves himself which hopefully will be next season.

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on December 01, 2008, 05:00:54 pm
I love how so many rank coaches who have never won anything of significance over those who have.

How's Butch Davis working out for ya?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 05:03:15 pm
How's Butch Davis working out for ya?
I didnt say we were going to get him. But it was closer than you think...

hogsndawgs

December 01, 2008, 05:19:04 pm #38 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:21:15 pm by hogsndawgs
Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 04:59:41 pm
Looking at your post history, I doubt we need to hold our breath in anticipation of the next time you refrain from making a homer post about Petrino.
If you are looking at my post history, I think you will notice that I simply try to temper my expectations/emotions when talking about our BP or TCTWF. I'm a huge fan of BP and I'm optomistic that he'll accomplish a lot, however, I'm not going to run my mouth about how great he is until he accomplishes something at Arkansas. (which I predict will be a conference and national championship within 5 years). The point is, I try to post based on what has already happened rather than what I think will happen. His history at Louisville give me high expectations though. Not to mention the incoming recruiting class and the improvement that we saw throughout this season.

Same with TCTWF, I can hardly stand to look at the man, and in honestly I would probably giggle if he died. But I still get pi**ed when people say things about him that are either blatantly false or things that are simply rumors. I think it makes us, as a fan base, lose credibility. He's a slightly above average coach and he is a bad man. He cheated to keep his brother on the sidelines, he ran off the Springdale kids, he feuded with Gus, he got blown out twice by USC, he lost at home to Vandy, he choked in the 2006 SEC CG against UF and he underachieved (grossly with the 2007 team)...What more do you need? This alone makes the case that he should have been fired.

My point is that some of my posts may need to be taken in context. All in all I'm a HUGE BP fan, I just don't think it's fair to rank him yet...near the top or near the bottom.

postalpig

If you are going by the body of work in the last 5 years of coaching college I'd rank them like this:

1. Meyer
2. Saban
3. Tuberville and Richt
5. Miles
6. Petrino
7. Fulmer
8. Nutt
9. Brooks
10. Spurrier
11. Johnson
12. Croom

hogsndawgs

Quote from: postalpig on December 01, 2008, 05:43:57 pm
If you are going by the body of work in the last 5 years of coaching college I'd rank them like this:

1. Meyer
2. Saban
3. Tuberville and Richt
5. Miles
6. Petrino
7. Fulmer
8. Nutt
9. Brooks
10. Spurrier
11. Johnson
12. Croom

Well if you're going on last 5 years it does change a lot. The only thing that I would argue is that when you are coaching at a school like Vandy or South Carolina or Kentucky, it takes a lot to accomplish a little. For instance, if someone won their division at one of those schools just once, they would be guaranteed a spot in the hall of fame.

The Hogfather

Quote from: davis01 on December 01, 2008, 05:01:45 pm
You can't rate Petrino any higher than that until he proves himself which hopefully will be next season.

Whatever, pizza for brains.

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Petrino - #1

Nobody is putting him there.  No faith?  This is the Hogs forum right?  We need to all have the mindset that we have the best coach.
Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!

JusticeHawg

Just a few observations......

First its hard to put Petrino in the top 5 just yet.   He did very well at UL in a confrence that isnt anywhere near as tough at the SEC........I have all the faith in the world that he will turn it around......but a non bowl campaign his first year out isnt something to hang your hat on.   Give him time......but even if we had gone 9-3.....it would be tough to put him up there after one season.

Then the Les Miles thing.......alot of the coaches that people are putting ahead of him you have to look at his records against them.......Spurrior is 0-for against Miles I do believe.   Nutt is 2-2.    Meyer is 2-2.   Tubbs is 1-3   Saban 1-1 and barely beat him this year.   Plus what happens if he keeps that thug Perilleau (sp) on the team?   I doubt they lose 5 games this year.   He had the guts to get rid of him knowing it left the QB spot bare.    If that Freshman doesnt play you dont have half a dozen pick 6's against them.   Those cost them the bama game and set the ball rolling against UGA and Fla......

Johnson......well......he has made Vandy a semi competative team......

Brooks?    He has made UK relavant.....but what else?    He had an outstanding QB last year.    Put a average QB in there and he wins 4 games in 07.  Which would basicly be where Miles was this year.......heck they didnt even have an average QB.

I think you start the conversation with Saban and Meyer and then the rest should be tied for 3rd......or last ;)

Just trying to call them as I see them.........
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

ckhawgu

1.  Saban
2.  Meyer
3.  Richt
4.  Petrino
5.  Tuberville
6.  Johnson
7.  Spurrier
8.  Miles
9.  Fulmer
10. Nutt
11. Brooks
12. Croom

Feralhog

December 01, 2008, 08:45:20 pm #45 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:10:04 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: HOG FAN 4 LIFE on December 01, 2008, 06:02:42 pm
Petrino - #1

Nobody is putting him there.  No faith?  This is the Hogs forum right?  We need to all have the mindset that we have the best coach.

I put him there.  People saying we have to wait until he does something are frieken nuts.  What would the list of coach's record be if they coached the hogs this season.  With our youth and schedule, I say there's not a coach in the SEC who would have won more than BP.

Saban- 5-7 at best
Meir 5-7 at best
Petrino 5-7
Richt?
Tubberville?
Johnson?
Spurrier?
Miles?
Fulmer?
Nutt?
Brooks?
Croom?

Hoggish1

It should be obvious to anyone that TCTWF is ranked 12th and BP is in the top three.

Fatmanhog

i agree with a lot of you guys but i think brooks is a better COACH than a lot the other guys. im not a richt fan just because he has all this supposed talent but yet always seems to fold somewhere. i still think spurrier is better than most but we are talking about SC. who has won there, you got me i dont know.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

GuvHog

December 01, 2008, 08:57:09 pm #48 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:59:27 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: hamsam on December 01, 2008, 03:52:52 pm
If he could get an OC like, saaaaaay........Gus Mal-uh-zhan....think that might be enough to change your mind?
I agree that getting rid of Borges was a mistake but anyone can see that now.

Gus and TT would never work well together. TT is very impatient and has a bad habit of
taking the offense away from his coordinator. According to a report on ESPN that's one
of the reasons he and Al Borges parted ways. That's why GM left Arkansas, HDN wouldn't
let him run the offense.

As for firing Al Borges, I thought it was a stupid move the day TT did it.

Fatmanhog

oh yeah i almost forgot going off of just coaching:
1.CP
2.meyer
3.saban
4.johnson
5.spurrier
6.brooks
7.richt
8.TT
9.miles
10.Kiffin
11.MSU
12.nuttface
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt