Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Miss State Coach

Started by ur, November 30, 2008, 08:37:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psooie

December 01, 2008, 01:42:01 pm #50 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:43:53 pm by psooie
I would think holtz, gill, and  dooley would want to wait for a much better job + dooley went to UVA, that job could open up next year...Miss state should hire Charlie strong.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psooie on December 01, 2008, 01:42:01 pm
I would think holtz, gill, and  dooley would want to wait for a much better job + dooley went to UVA, that job could open up next year...Miss state should hire Charlie strong.

Although State will probably go in the offensive direction, Strong would be a good pick.  He has been around a high powered offense enough to know how valuable it is.  Also when you are building an offense, a strong defense can bail you out while the offense is still finding it's way.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

razorpimp

Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 12:46:17 pm
Not true.  Jackie Sherill (sp) had them them consistently challenging for the west.  Their fans couldn't accept the philosophy of fielding the very baddest D in the land, they demanded an offense, and Sherill had to change his recruiting from focusing primarily on defense to both. 

While Sherill was there...MSU had the best team money could buy...that guy is dirty

Feralhog

Quote from: razorpimp on December 01, 2008, 02:01:41 pm
While Sherill was there...MSU had the best team money could buy...that guy is dirty

I'm sure he used a few shortcuts too, but he built that team by going after Juco's and playing his best talent on defense.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

JusticeHawg

If Dooley does get the job it could cause a ripple affect that either one both have Arkansas connections.   The 2 guys that I have heard that would be on the top of the list would be Gus and Clint Conque from UCA........I would have to think that Conque would be the front runner seeing as he has close ties to the La Tech program having coached there for a good while and being the OC there.    Although I could see them going after Gus.....either way both guys offensive style would be right up the WAC's alley.   Crowton used that type of offense well at La Tech....in fact thats where CC learned a lot of his offense from.   
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 02:09:15 pm
I'm sure he used a few shortcuts too, but he built that team by going after Juco's and playing his best talent on defense.

Not just defense, but special teams as well.  Having top notched Special Teams was a Sherrill trademark.  He knew that with lesser talent ST's could make the difference.  He always had great punters and place kickers.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Feralhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 01, 2008, 02:17:18 pm
Not just defense, but special teams as well.  Having top notched Special Teams was a Sherrill trademark.  He knew that with lesser talent ST's could make the difference.  He always had great punters and place kickers.

I personally believe it's easier to build a championship team focusing on defense, but when you're restricted on the number of top kids that can be lured to your program, your better off focusing on one side of the ball and try to become the very best offense or defense in the country.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Hawgndaaz

December 01, 2008, 02:38:52 pm #57 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:48:35 pm by Hawgndaaz
Quote from: JusticeHawg on December 01, 2008, 02:11:52 pm
If Dooley does get the job it could cause a ripple affect that either one both have Arkansas connections.   The 2 guys that I have heard that would be on the top of the list would be Gus and Clint Conque from UCA........I would have to think that Conque would be the front runner seeing as he has close ties to the La Tech program having coached there for a good while and being the OC there.    Although I could see them going after Gus.....either way both guys offensive style would be right up the WAC's alley.   Crowton used that type of offense well at La Tech....in fact thats where CC learned a lot of his offense from.   

I just don't see why Conque would leave UCA for the HC job at La Tech. Not much of an upgrade from UCA besides the ability to recruit Louisiana, and more money. I think UCA will do what they can to keep him (although i think it is his time to make a coaching move). The other factor might be that he has 2 kids around the jr high/hs age that have been in conway for several years now.

HogwildinMonroe

I do not think Conque would be an option for La Tech.  From talking to people and listening to local radio shows he seemed to burn a lot of bridges during his time coaching and departure from Tech.

JusticeHawg

December 01, 2008, 03:18:05 pm #59 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:20:33 pm by JusticeHawg
Thats just the word I got from some folks in Ruston.......they have a few connections so I kinda think that the bridges were not completely torched......anyway the folks in Ruston feel a bit blind sided right after they hear they have a good shot at the Indy bowl and then to hear this.   I think they will move quick if Dooley says he is gone.....it will be after the bowl I am sure....but not long after.   To me that is one of Tech's main problems...they can jump the gun sometimes..(Chris Long as the Girls BB coach comes to mind)......the Squire Creek money still runs that entire joint....not quite as hands on as he used to be.......but he has to sign off on any moves they make.   

Oh and not trying to be harsh here.....but if the radio show your listening to is Fox and Co.......dont believe a word you hear......those guys are 2 of the biggest nit wits on the airwaves.    Now if it was Brando out of Shreveport then its probably got a lot of truth to it......he has connections there as well as ULM.......the KTBS sports guy in Shreveport Tim Fletcher is tight with Dooley also.

stinkyhog

I haven't seen anyone mention ellis johnson?

The Lemming

Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 12:46:17 pm
Not true.  Jackie Sherill (sp) had them them consistently challenging for the west.  Their fans couldn't accept the philosophy of fielding the very baddest D in the land, they demanded an offense, and Sherill had to change his recruiting from focusing primarily on defense to both. 
That's not necessarily true. Sherril went through 3 DC's minimum while he was there. There was more to it than not fielding offensive teams. He had to consistently work the DC position as well. Dunn was the last if I remember correctly.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogwildinMonroe

December 01, 2008, 03:30:17 pm #63 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:32:14 pm by HogwildinMonroe
Justice I totally agree about the Squire Creek money running the show. 

I know Brando has some ULM connections he went to school there ( dont think that is where he got his degree ), but I definitely do not take much stock in what he says in his radio show.  The guy babbles along like he is hammered.

JusticeHawg

I think Brando did graduate from ULM .......it was NLU in those days.    The SQ money really started becoming hands on when he got involved and fired Larry Bechtoll (Sp) who was Holtz's OL coach at UA for several years.   Bechtoll had only been the HC at Tech for a handfull of games when he had him canned.   Coach B went on to be known as one of the best OL coaches in the NFL for several teams.   Most noteable was with the Packers in the 90's    He never gave coach B a chance.   Oh well.....even if he dies off his sons will still try to pull strings.....from what I am told they already are trying.

Feralhog

December 01, 2008, 03:38:43 pm #65 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:40:55 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: The Lemming on December 01, 2008, 03:24:20 pm
That's not necessarily true. Sherril went through 3 DC's minimum while he was there. There was more to it than not fielding offensive teams. He had to consistently work the DC position as well. Dunn was the last if I remember correctly.

More to what?  More to MSU letting Sherill go that not fielding an offense?  If that's the case, it wasn't my intention to suggest Sherril not fielding an offense was the sole reason he left.  IMO there were several reasons, and it was no coincidence that those reasons pretty much existed the entire time he was there. However, those reasons, all the sudden became important once he started losing, and he started losing because he was forced to focus more attention on improving the programs offense.   

NEA Boss Hog

Quote from: VRaptor on November 30, 2008, 09:03:15 pm
Call me crazy but I think GM is smarter than that. :)

Smarter than what? He would jump at the chance to be a head coach in then SEC. He is not that great of a coach that he would turn down this kind of job. He wouldn't turn down any D1 job if he is smart. I think you give him way to much credit.

HogwildinMonroe

Quote from: JusticeHawg on December 01, 2008, 03:37:29 pm
I think Brando did graduate from ULM .......it was NLU in those days.    The SQ money really started becoming hands on when he got involved and fired Larry Bechtoll (Sp) who was Holtz's OL coach at UA for several years.   Bechtoll had only been the HC at Tech for a handfull of games when he had him canned.   Coach B went on to be known as one of the best OL coaches in the NFL for several teams.   Most noteable was with the Packers in the 90's    He never gave coach B a chance.   Oh well.....even if he dies off his sons will still try to pull strings.....from what I am told they already are trying.

I know it was NLU that is where I graduated from.  Just have been reconditoned the past few years.  You are also correct about the SQ money easily controlling it for a long time to come.  There is not a supporter that gives anywhere near what he gives. 

JusticeHawg

I refuse to call it ULM.......I did not attend ULM.....I went to NLU also........

I'm across the river from you now.....from South Ark originally.   Live just north of the Golf course on North 7th street.

HogwildinMonroe

I work at CenturyTel and live in Morisson Apts off Debroah drive just down from the MAC.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 03:38:43 pm
More to what?  More to MSU letting Sherill go that not fielding an offense?  If that's the case, it wasn't my intention to suggest Sherril not fielding an offense was the sole reason he left.  IMO there were several reasons, and it was no coincidence that those reasons pretty much existed the entire time he was there. However, those reasons, all the sudden became important once he started losing, and he started losing because he was forced to focus more attention on improving the programs offense.  

I don't think the offense or focusing more on offense than D is the main reason he left. When he was winning, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama were all down compared to where they are now or where they were in the not so distant past.

He also rode the Juco train dry.  It worked for awhile but it left him with some upper class gaps when he couldn't haul in the Juco talent later in his tenure at State.  Lastly he knew that the NCAA was going to catch up to him.  State realized it to and had to let him go to try to start cleaning up the mess.

MSU also violateded what I believe is a cardinal rule for most SEC programs.  Never keep a HC after two consecutive losing seasons.  If he has won on a somewhat consistent basis let him endure one losing season and them give him the next season to turn it around.  If the second year is a losing season as well you have to let him go.  State gave JS 3 consecutive losing seasons and just dug themselves a deeper hole.

JusticeHawg

Quote from: HogwildinMonroe on December 01, 2008, 03:59:32 pm
I work at CenturyTel and live in Morisson Apts off Debroah drive just down from the MAC.

ah.....I know where your at.    Do you attend any of the local high school games over there?   I know you basicly work across from OCS......I normally go back to Junction to watch them play.....its only 60 miles.   I have friends over here that I will to go West Monroe games with from time to time.    Do you think Weatherby is done at ULM?    I sure hope so.......maybe they could hire Conque or Gus....lol

Feralhog

December 01, 2008, 04:41:42 pm #72 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:45:11 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 01, 2008, 04:24:01 pm
I don't think the offense or focusing more on offense than D is the main reason he left. When he was winning, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama were all down compared to where they are now or where they were in the not so distant past.

He also rode the Juco train dry.  It worked for awhile but it left him with some upper class gaps when he couldn't haul in the Juco talent later in his tenure at State.  Lastly he knew that the NCAA was going to catch up to him.  State realized it to and had to let him go to try to start cleaning up the mess.

MSU also violateded what I believe is a cardinal rule for most SEC programs.  Never keep a HC after two consecutive losing seasons.  If he has won on a somewhat consistent basis let him endure one losing season and them give him the next season to turn it around.  If the second year is a losing season as well you have to let him go.  State gave JS 3 consecutive losing seasons and just dug themselves a deeper hole.

I see it as the chicken or the egg scneario.  Did the juco talent dry up because he was forced to expand his focus to the offensive side? 

It's just a theory of mine but AD's at the time were in a state of panic because of Steve Spurrier and the rise of the fun and gun.  Almost over night, the SEC went from strong D's with a ball control offense to having wide open offenses.  IMO, the pressure to have a high potent offense was the reason Stallings was forced out at Bama, even though their fans deny he was forced out.

IMO, we are seeing the same type panic that's currently taking place at Auburn.  They're ready to throw Tubberville under the bus, not because of his record, but rather because of the perception that Nick Saban will choke the life out of their program. 

All this is just my opinion.  I doubt any of it would hold up in court.

HogasaurusRex

Quote from: JusticeHawg on December 01, 2008, 03:50:11 pm
I refuse to call it ULM.......I did not attend ULM.....I went to NLU also........

I'm across the river from you now.....from South Ark originally.   Live just north of the Golf course on North 7th street.
Losers! 8)

I escaped from BOTH places! ;D

Sean (Fox) and Nick are good guys, and regardless of your opinion concerning their "wits", they will have the 1st news on this.

JusticeHawg

Quote from: HogasaurusRex on December 01, 2008, 05:10:34 pm
Losers! 8)

I escaped from BOTH places! ;D

Sean (Fox) and Nick are good guys, and regardless of your opinion concerning their "wits", they will have the 1st news on this.

I have met both....and I am sure they are good guys and all......they just come off not nearly as knowledgeable in casual conversation as they try to make themselves out to be on the air.    I feel sure being in Ruston someone will try to give them the "scoop" on whats going on.    I just think it will be because they are the faces of the local ESPN station more so than they are insiders if you know what I mean.    Like I said......they may be "great guys" and all.....that still does not mean they are sports guru's.   I like listening to Lanny James....although I have not had the time to listen to him in a while.

H-TownHawg

Radio down in Houston threw out the possibility that if Texas Tech's Leach went somewhere then Grahmn would be the replacement in Lubbock and I would assume Malazhan would take over at Tulsa since he is co-HC

The Lemming

December 01, 2008, 05:30:10 pm #76 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:32:58 pm by The Lemming
Quote from: Feralhog on December 01, 2008, 03:38:43 pm

Well! That's sort of a no-brainer. Thanks though?
Edit: Forcing someone to pay attention to the offense.

JusticeHawg

They have co head coaches?     Or is he the assistant head coach?    I know he is the OC......I figured he was the assistant headcoach all this time.   I have never heard of co head coaches.   I think he will be a hot commodity no matter what happens with the Tulsa job.....or the TT job. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

With TN hiring Kiffin there is a very good chance that MSU ends up with a better coach than the Vols.

Big_Red_1

Tonight on the Tupelo Channel it was reported that Derek Dooley had not been contacted by MS State.  Can't really believe this.

Louis Campbell will now be looking for a new gig.

There is really a good coach available.  His  name is Charlie Harbison.  He is a good recruiter and took over as defensive coordinator this past year.
I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!

JusticeHawg

Quote from: Big_Red_1 on December 01, 2008, 07:08:39 pm
Tonight on the Tupelo Channel it was reported that Derek Dooley had not been contacted by MS State.  Can't really believe this.

Louis Campbell will now be looking for a new gig.

There is really a good coach available.  His  name is Charlie Harbison.  He is a good recruiter and took over as defensive coordinator this past year.

Doesnt mean his agent hasnt been contacted.........thats the Saban way!........called something along the lines of plausible deniablilty.....lol.....he is a student of Saban afterall you know.

philobeddoe

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 01, 2008, 11:08:43 am
Where is Jeff Bower at?  He would be a great fit for Starkville.

Yes he would.  I almost forgot about him.  He was successful at Southern Miss, so one would think that he could be successful at MSU.  He's also a defensive minded coach, which would be good for MSU.

go hogues

I guess there's no chance that TT, if he were to get fired at Auburn, would end up at MSU? 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

JusticeHawg

Quote from: philobeddoe on December 01, 2008, 07:25:42 pm
Yes he would.  I almost forgot about him.  He was successful at Southern Miss, so one would think that he could be successful at MSU.  He's also a defensive minded coach, which would be good for MSU.

Didnt Bower retire?    Said something along the lines of being burned out.......I know there were grumblings down in Hattiesburg ......but man why would they want to run off someone that made them a killer of SEC teams?    He coached there for a long time.......if his batteries are recharged I would think he would throw his hat in the ring for several jobs........he was one heck of a coach.