Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OU win's Big 12 South

Started by hogs25, November 30, 2008, 03:33:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ua_hogs

Quote from: OklaU on November 30, 2008, 04:37:27 pm
In this case I disagree.  It was the only means to break a 3-way tie.

not true, see the SEC rules for three way ties

OklaU

It was the only means that was previously agreed on. 
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Throwback1

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 30, 2008, 03:42:20 pm
Frick yeah.

That wind from the South is the collective pissing and moaning of 20,000,000 Longhorn fans.
and if the situation was reversed and OU had beaten UT but UT was playing for the NC, you'd be hearing the same thing from the North and OU fans...book it.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Loafbone

I don't know if this has been argued yet, but how do you feel if Missouri beats Oklahoma in the title game, sending Texas (a team that techincally didn't even win its division, much less conference title) to the national title game against Florida or Bama? I agree with an earlier poster. This kills the BCS.
My name is Olster. Seriously. My parents named me Olster. I hate them.

Hogs_fan_for_life

If they did start a playoff with 16 teams like posted above, would you think those teams that lost in the rounds before the National Title game be allowed to play in a bowl? That would open up 16 places in bowls if not.

OklaU

Quote from: Throwback1 on November 30, 2008, 04:40:04 pm
and if the situation was reversed and OU had beaten UT but UT was playing for the NC, you'd be hearing the same thing from the North and OU fans...book it.

The Hogs would do the same thing...

ua_hogs

whatever happens i just hope its a huge trainwreck so that maybe a playoff will have to be installed. it seems almost every year we are arguing about the bcs and how horrible it is.

Throwback1

Quote from: 12247 on November 30, 2008, 04:14:02 pm
How can we be certain that if Fla wins the CC, they will jump Texas.  OU hammered the #2 team, TT, and didn't jump Texas at that point.  What if Fla beats Bama barely and Bama drops but Fla doesn't move up.  We'd be looking at OU/TX lined up for the NC game.  Also, remember when an over powering OU met K. ST. in the Big 12 championship in  03 and K.St. beat them like 37-7.  Truly isn't no team in the NC quite yet. 
The winner of Bama/Fla is IN the NC game....period.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

OklaU

I support a playoffs, Stoops has advocated a playoff...no fights here...

Throwback1

Throwback1

Quote from: OklaU on November 30, 2008, 04:43:35 pm
I support a playoffs, Stoops has advocated a playoff...no fights here...
Agreed, 100%.

Fort Swine

OU's SOS is listed as #1 by CBS Sportsline.  If you look at the Big 12 South, OU's win last night was the first quality win by a team on the road this year, with the Red River Shootout being neutral. 

All this being said, it is time to play off the games.  I don't want a +1 game.  It is time to take away the 4 weeks between the last game at the end of the season and bowl games and play it out.  Finals should be done.  There is nothing to do but play football. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

I LOVE BCS CHAOS!  (as long as the Hogs are not in the mix)

hogs25

The sad thing is USC could probably win it all but they want get that chance. 

The Corporate BCS must go. 

oldbooniehog

Just a quick reminder.....Does anyone (ANYONE????) remember a certain SEC team called Auburn going totally completely undefeated and NOT getting a BCS championship berth simply because it started the year unranked?

Anyone remember that at all?

The BCS system is stupid and worthless.

And no matter how much major college football thumps its chest about "tradition" and popularity, the simple fact is that it will remain a total joke until there is a way to determine a champion solely by what happens on the field.

All other NCAA sports manage to have legitimate playoff systems.

Every single level of football from high school up through NCAA Division III, Division II, and FCS manages to do it.

Until that happens, you will get idiotic decisions and stupid results based on computers and popularity rankings voted on by jock-sniffing talking heads.

obh

intoxhog

Quote from: regi on November 30, 2008, 03:54:22 pm
Have not watched must football this year or in your life have ya? Florida will have more problems with Saban than with OU.
Nope, just coached it at the highest high school level in the State of Arkansas.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

regi

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 04:55:05 pm
Nope, just coached it at the highest high school level in the State of Arkansas.

Defense not an important part of the game for you and your guys?

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 03:52:00 pm
We will see, because Ole piss beat UF at their crib then OU has a chance in a netural site.
If you think that Ole Piss win is still relevant to Florida's on the field performance than you obviously haven't watched college football since September.

nwa_razorback_coffee

They might as well call this the ESPN Championship.

intoxhog

Quote from: regi on November 30, 2008, 04:58:33 pm
Defense not an important part of the game for you and your guys?
Yea sure, but out scoring the opponent if I'm not mistaken is the name of the game. UF wins are overblown IMO, also the ole miss lose at home sticks out like a sore thumb. Furthermore, UF defence is not world beaters either. Bama is going to hand Florida there @$$ come next Saturday.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

intoxhog

Quote from: TrumannRazorback24 on November 30, 2008, 04:58:38 pm
If you think that Ole Piss win is still relevant to Florida's on the field performance than you obviously haven't watched college football since September.
my god man then how can you say OU lose to Texas is revalent either? That was back in the 2nd week of OCT.

regi

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 05:01:45 pm
They might as well call this the ESPN Championship.

True. Is this not what Herbtreit picked in August, UF vs OU? or was it UF vs USC? BTW, if OU loses to Mizzou (could happen), Does USC jump into the mix since Texas did not win its conference? I would love to see a UF/USC match-up and so would FOX.

regi

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 05:02:36 pm
Yea sure, but out scoring the opponent if I'm not mistaken is the name of the game. UF wins are overblown IMO, also the ole miss lose at home sticks out like a sore thumb. Furthermore, UF defence is not world beaters either. Bama is going to hand Florida there @$$ come next Saturday.

That is true. Win by 1 or 100 does not matter, esp. in a championship game. UF defense is worlds better than OU (or Texas for that matter) btw. OU is 66th in the nation!! in total defense while the Gators are 7th in the nation. While there are better offenses in the Big12 than the SEC this year, keep in mind UF also played Miami, Hawaii, and FSU (at FSU) this season.

hei5manhog

BCS Chaos:
Missouri beats Oklahoma like KSU did in '02
USC loses to UCLA like they did in '06(?)
FL beats AL 3-0
Texas boycots
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

HogNuttz

Quote from: regi on November 30, 2008, 04:19:44 pm
My arguement is 45-35, and how the media led by ESPN has made OU's thrashing of  the Big 12's version of OleMiss (TT) somehow more important than getting your ass kicked on a nuetral field.

First you called Texas Tech this years "Boise St" which I'm assuming wasn't in an endearing way, and then you defended Texas' loss to them.  This is indicative of the situation as a whole as every team can have a case made for and against them.  It just so happens that of the three teams I think OU had the best resume to advance.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

NWASooner

QuoteIf you think that Ole Piss win is still relevant to Florida's on the field performance than you obviously haven't watched college football since September.

The problem is the season started in early September.  Florida lost to an unranked team at home.  OU lost to a top 5 team at neutral site.  Texas lost to a Top 5 team on the road.  Florida hasn't played a ranked team except for Georgia.

Florida has no business being ranked ahead of OU, Texas, or Tech for that matter. 

OU would put 45+ on Florida.

Throwback1

...even if they couldn't beat Tx at a neutral site on a football field.

Throwback1

...actually we are going to find out if Fla. should be ranked ahead of OU in about 5 weeks or so.

NWASooner

Florida wouldn't beat Texas, either.

They're going to have a hard time with Bama.  That will be, by far, the most physical game Florida has had all season.

intoxhog

Quote from: NWASooner on November 30, 2008, 05:38:59 pm
The problem is the season started in early September.  Florida lost to an unranked team at home.  OU lost to a top 5 team at neutral site.  Texas lost to a Top 5 team on the road.  Florida hasn't played a ranked team except for Georgia.

Florida has no business being ranked ahead of OU, Texas, or Tech for that matter. 

+1- that about sums it up. Furtermore there is no guarentee Bama is going to get beat. IMO Bama is going to win.

Throwback1

I guess if Fla. beats Bama in a close game and then was to beat OU handily, the Bama fans could argue they should have played Fla. in the title game?  Just as much a legit participant in the NC game as all the other one loss teams if they lose to Fla., I guess. 

ua_hogs

maybe, but i doubt florida would have trouble keeping up with OU's D.

Theolesnort

Who wants to see another Oklahoma BCS meltdown?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Throwback1

Bubba's Bruisers

Well, there's a good chance you're going to see if OU will back that up.  They better be careful though, because Florida just might be able to put up 50+ on OU.  Plus, it's not like OU has been worth a crap in the BCS lately.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

UhOhioHog

The winner of the SEC Championship should have a field day against that OU defense if they can get past Mizzou.  OU has plenty of Offense, but, that's it.  Injuries have been unkind to the OU linebacking corps.

Texass and Southern Cal may be the best two teams ever to not make it to the Title Game.  As hard as it is to say....Texass got screwed!

NWASooner

QuotePlus, it's not like OU has been worth a crap in the BCS lately

Don't you think Stoops is going to be extra stoke for this time?

Florida is going to have trouble with Bama.  Everyone is writing Bama off but they're very physical up front on both sides of the ball.  I still think Florida wins but not by much.

As for an OU/Florida match up, Florida hasn't played a team with a good offense all year.  OU's defense might suck but it has played good defenses almost every week this season.

destinflhog

The BCS isn't the problem this year. 

The Big 12 Tiebreaker is.  I don't have any emphathy for any of the three one loss teams in a conference that relies on the BCS to figure out its best team.

The SEC has a playoff already and will send its best team to the title game this year.  The problem with the big 12 is that the alignment of the conference isn't equitable.  The majority of the teams with tradition all come from the South.  Other than Nebraska, there isn't a legacy team in the North.

Throwback1

I agree, TexasHogFan, but frankly, nobody gets screwed as much as the college football fan, and it really, really should stop.

regi

November 30, 2008, 07:05:26 pm #89 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:17:16 pm by regi
Quote from: Theolesnort on November 30, 2008, 06:00:10 pm
Who wants to see another Oklahoma BCS meltdown?

HogNuttz, intexhog, and BCS lovers.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: NWASooner on November 30, 2008, 06:51:24 pm
Don't you think Stoops is going to be extra stoke for this time?

Florida is going to have trouble with Bama.  Everyone is writing Bama off but they're very physical up front on both sides of the ball.  I still think Florida wins but not by much.

As for an OU/Florida match up, Florida hasn't played a team with a good offense all year.  OU's defense might suck but it has played good defenses almost every week this season.

First, I do think Stoops will go the extra stroke.  But that would suggest he hasn't in the past, which is crap.  I'm certain he's done the extras each year, but keeps getting his balls handed to him.  Frankly, I can't figure out why.

Secondly, I'm one of the few SEC guys that thinks the Big12 was a better conference this year as a whole.  However, the two conferences are very different in styles.  So it is preposterous to think that one will easily beat the other...especially with OU's history of late.  FL probably hasn't played many good offenses, but if you think OU has been playing good defenses almost every week, you're stretching it big-time.  I'm sorry, but defense is the weakness of the Big12, while offense is the weakness of the SEC.  Big12 teams have basically outscored each other to win.

I do agree that FL has their hands full with AL, and may lose, but OU will have their hands full with either SEC team.  It will be a close NC game either way...finally.

Finally, I'm one of the few that think OU getting into the Big12 championship game is the correct result, regardless of the head-to-head.  I simply think OU is better than TX and TT.  I think they were better the day they lost to TX.  You don't lose the MLB and defensive play caller, and your running back, and win.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

regi

I don't know how many of ya'll can get CSS "Talkin Football", but Mark Schlabuagh is rippin the BCS and Barnhardt for this crap.

Throwback1

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: regi on November 30, 2008, 07:08:22 pm
I don't know how many of ya'll can get CSS "Talkin Football", but Mark Schlabuagh is rippin the BCS and Barnhardt for this crap.

Why doesn't he rip those with the power to change the system? 

Hornkiller

Quote from: Loafbone on November 30, 2008, 04:40:10 pm
I don't know if this has been argued yet, but how do you feel if Missouri beats Oklahoma in the title game, sending Texas (a team that techincally didn't even win its division, much less conference title) to the national title game against Florida or Bama? I agree with an earlier poster. This kills the BCS.

That only happens if (and a big if) USC loses to Slick Rick and UCLA.

If Missouri upsets OU in Kansas City (which is more likely since the crowd with be 65% - 70% Tiger fans who have had their tickets for three weeks now and OU has problems with mobile quaterbacks) as soon as the gun goes off ESPN will start their USC and Pete Carrol love fest practically begging the pollsters for USC to get the shot at the SEC champ.

Mark it down. OU wins they play the SEC champ for the title. If they don't, it's USC that gets the shot in Miami. And Texas is playing Utah or Boise in the desert.

Throwback1

Disagree...if OU loses, Tx is in vs. the FLA/Bama winner, but don't matter.  Mo. won't beat OU, so we'll never know.

TripleJ

ESPN will call for USC if the cards fall right b/c.....they are a really good team this season. I do not like USC but I love how some of you guys think they are horrible.

I am hoping that every possible thing that can go wrong will go wrong with the BCS this season.

mizzouman

We're in BIG trouble......Prediction  OU 90 MU 31

intoxhog

Quote from: regi on November 30, 2008, 07:05:26 pm
HogNuttz, intexhog, and BCS lovers.
yea your right I would rather see OU in the MNC game than Texas. Plus I live in Tulsa so the night of the MNC game is going to be off the chain. But back to your early post Miami, Hawaii, and FSU all are garbage this year. Alabama will beat UF.

Throwback1

I would probably pull for Bama to beat Fla. and OU, but that is the scenario at this point that would be most beneficial to the continued survival of the evil, Satan incarnate BCS, so, I want OU to lose to Mo. and Bama to lose to
Fla. by identical scores of 3-2 and see what happens. :)