Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your vote to move on?

Texas
122 (58.7%)
Oklahoma
86 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 197

HamHands

Texas won head-to-head on a neutral field. Have to go with Texas. However, OU looked pretty dominant last night and over their last four games.
One day at a time.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 07:29:56 am
Either way you go with it, the system is broke. We need a true playoff with the top 8 teams.

I agree with you. Let's let two in contention play head to head to decide who goes. Errr, wait. That's already happened. And Texas won.

Ummm, maybe then we should base it on when they lost. Using that argument, last season, Arkansas beat the eventual National Champion (LSU) on the last regular season game of the year.

intoxhog

November 30, 2008, 07:42:16 am #52 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:48:05 am by intoxhog
Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 07:39:30 am
I agree with you. Let's let two in contention play head to head to decide who goes. Errr, wait. That's already happened. And Texas won.

Ummm, maybe then we should base it on when they lost. Using that argument, last season, Arkansas beat the eventual National Champion (LSU) on the last regular season game of the year.
Again why are you not including Texas Tech into the 3 WAY TIE? Also, I'm one that thought LSU shouldn't have got in BTW. You could have taken your pick with about any SEC schools last year against OSU.

IMHO I belive OU is still a better team that Texas despite the loss. Again I'm tired of no one even considering Texas Tech in a 3 way tie; and I'm also sick of ESPN trying to decide who should go to the MNC. Of course they want Texas because it a much bigger Media market therefore that equals more bling when it come to selling advertising space.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

intoxhog

November 30, 2008, 07:51:58 am #53 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:55:54 am by intoxhog
Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 07:39:30 am

and oh by the way, i guess using that logic during any more NCAA basketball tourney games if you face an opponent during the tournament that you beat in regular season, you should get an automatic pass and they should have to forfit the game. The regular season and post season are two different things. I know this may not be popular to say but it should be OU and Texas in the MNC game this year.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 07:42:16 am
Again why are you not including Texas Tech into the 3 WAY TIE?

They had to come back to barely beat Baylor in Lubbock last night.

Had a Texas defender caught an interception thrown right to him by Heisman candidate and TT QB Harrell, Texas would be undefeated.

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 07:42:16 am
I'm also sick of ESPN trying to decide who should go to the MNC.

I agree with you. I am beginning to feel this is a bit like the recent presidential election. Despite what you and I think about it, the media has already decided it.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 30, 2008, 05:46:55 am
Well yeah, and OSU clearly turns the ball over on a fumble that the officials say isn't a fumble, despite what replays show. OSU receives a kick off and takes it all the way to the house. I'd say everybody got their fair share of breaks last night.

The fumble call was an obvious whiff by the refs, but the return was not luck.  OU has been giving that stuff up all year.

Face it Muskogee, the oblong pigskin bounces differently for Zero U than for any other team in college football.  In my lifetime, they have always had good, solid teams, but they have appeared great due to incredible fortune.

Somewhere, in some dark Norman hotel room, long, long ago, some OU AD bled out for the devil and the pact is still in tact.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

intoxhog

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 07:54:59 am
They had to come back to barely beat Baylor in Lubbock last night.

Had a Texas defender caught an interception thrown right to him by Heisman candidate and TT QB Harrell, Texas would be undefeated.

I agree with you. I am beginning to feel this is a bit like the recent presidential election. Despite what you and I think about it, the media has already decided it.
so your saying style points matter then? Then i guess the 72 points OU put on the tech team that beat Texas should mean something then.

Bottom line the system is broke and you can make your case for either team to get in. Even a plus 1 playoff this year would have settled alot of the controversy.

Slacker

Texas beat OU on a neutral field. The decision has already been made.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 07:51:58 am
and oh by the way, i guess using that logic during any more NCAA basketball tourney games if you face an opponent during the tournament that you beat in regular season, you should get an automatic pass and they should have to forfit the game. The regular season and post season are two different things. I know this may not be popular to say but it should be OU and Texas in the MNC game this year.

65 not 72 points

intoxhog

Quote from: Slacker on November 30, 2008, 08:00:16 am
Texas beat OU on a neutral field. The decision has already been made.
We will see i guess. But i thought it was a 3 way tie?

judgeroyswine

Quote from: intoxhog on November 30, 2008, 08:04:07 am
We will see i guess. But i thought it was a 3 way tie?

It is...and OU will get selected (much to my chagrin).  Book it.

intoxhog

November 30, 2008, 08:07:00 am #61 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:09:46 am by intoxhog
Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 30, 2008, 08:02:49 am
65 not 72 points
I stand corrected, it was 65-21 Over the Texas Tech team that beat Texas 39-33. ;)

Sorry guys but i don't ever want to see Tejeas win another MNC. EVER!!!

oldhawg

Coaches and writers will get fed up with the whining and crying of of Mack Brown and Bob Stoops, USC will jump over both of them, with Pete Carroll smiling all the way to the championship match-up with Florida.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: oldhawg on November 30, 2008, 08:11:51 am
Coaches and writers will get fed up with the whining and crying of of Mack Brown and Bob Stoops, USC will jump over both of them, with Pete Carroll smiling all the way to the championship match-up with Florida.

From your lips (fingers) to God's ears.

arklahoman36

Like it or not, Tech is included in the discussion, because its a three-way tie.

And people forget so soon, that despite the 39-33 score, Tech absolutely dominated Texas in the first half of that game; Texas never led until less than two minutes were left in the game; Tech rolled up almost 600 yards total offense and outrushed the Horns (holding them below 100 yards); Tech held Texas to 33 pct on 3rd down conversions; Tech held the ball for almost 37 minutes; and Tech sacked McCoy four times.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: arklahoman36 on November 30, 2008, 08:25:36 am
Like it or not, Tech is included in the discussion, because its a three-way tie.

And people forget so soon, that despite the 39-33 score, Tech absolutely dominated Texas in the first half of that game; Texas never led until less than two minutes were left in the game; Tech rolled up almost 600 yards total offense and outrushed the Horns (holding them below 100 yards); Tech held Texas to 33 pct on 3rd down conversions; Tech held the ball for almost 37 minutes; and Tech sacked McCoy four times.

The TV gods will never allow Tech to be selected.

arklahoman36

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 30, 2008, 08:39:59 am
The TV gods will never allow Tech to be selected.

I agree, but because it is a three-way tie, as much as Mack Brown and others would like to forget the Tech game, its a factor, or this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Relying strictly on the head-to-head between OU & Texas went out the window when Texas was unable to come back against Tech and Tech couldn't handle OU, which forced a look at all three teams body of work.

Luke Duke

1.  Texas Tech isn't even a possible candidate.  When they scheduled TWO 1-AA opponents in OOC they set themselves up to have to go undefeated.  Now that they've lost, they can't make it over OU and Texas.  Even if the voters wanted them to, the computers won't let them.  This is a two horse race, OU and Texas.

2.  You have to remember that Texas's one loss came in their fourth straight game against top 11 opponents (never been done).  It was on the road, in a hostel environment, and on a last second play.  If there was ever an excuse to slip up, that is it.

3.  OU's one loss came to Texas.  Not on the road, on a neutral field, with the fans split down the middle.  Is there a better way to determine who is more deserving?

Let's not kid ourselves, this is between OU and Texas.  And when you look at it that way, it is an absolute shame (and sham) to value style points over Head to Head.  When two team have actually played, you don't need to say "well so-and-so beat so-and-so by points, but they beat so-and-so by......"  They played!  This has been settled on the field.
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

arklahoman36

Quote from: Luke Duke on November 30, 2008, 08:58:54 am
1.  Texas Tech isn't even a possible candidate.  When they scheduled TWO 1-AA opponents in OOC they set themselves up to have to go undefeated.  Now that they've lost, they can't make it over OU and Texas.  Even if the voters wanted them to, the computers won't let them.  This is a two horse race, OU and Texas.

2.  You have to remember that Texas's one loss came in their fourth straight game against top 11 opponents (never been done).  It was on the road, in a hostel environment, and on a last second play.  If there was ever an excuse to slip up, that is it.

3.  OU's one loss came to Texas.  Not on the road, on a neutral field, with the fans split down the middle.  Is there a better way to determine who is more deserving?

Let's not kid ourselves, this is between OU and Texas.  And when you look at it that way, it is an absolute shame (and sham) to value style points over Head to Head.  When two team have actually played, you don't need to say "well so-and-so beat so-and-so by points, but they beat so-and-so by......"  They played!  This has been settled on the field.

1) Had Texas scheduled a more ambitious OOC, they'd be ahead of OU in the computer rankings, but they decided to go the cream puff route (with the exception of ARK, who I doubt they expected to be that bad when the game was scheduled).

2) It wasn't a slip-up. Texas was dominated for a half, and was lucky to be in a position to win the game.

3) Not in a tie between two teams, however, a three-way tie forces more than a look at the head-t0-head between two teams. Hopefully the Big XII changes their rule for handling a three-way tie, to something more similar to the SEC and other conferences.

A three-way tie and the tiebreaker rules for the Big XII say you're wrong. Head-to-head was taken away as the final determining factor when Texas lost to Tech and Tech lost to OU.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: arklahoman36 on November 30, 2008, 09:19:01 am
A three-way tie and the tiebreaker rules for the Big XII say you're wrong. Head-to-head was taken away as the final determining factor when Texas lost to Tech and Tech lost to OU.

45-35.

HogNuttz

Quote from: Luke Duke on November 30, 2008, 08:58:54 am

1)  This is a conference championship, so out of conference competition shouldn't matter too much as far as selecting a representative.  It's a three way tie and I think most agree Tech isn't the team to go, but they have to be in the discussion.  You can't dismiss them when the have the same conference and overall record to simply compare the other two head to head.  Even if you did that, why not send Oklahoma.  Sure, the lost to Texas, but it was a close game and they lost to a good team.  But Texas....they lost to Tech, a team not even worthy of being in the discussion.  Oklahoma's loss looks a lot better than Texas' loss if you're going to use that logic.

2) Two of those top 11 teams weren't in the top 11 BEFORE they lost this week.  True it was a road game, but it was Lubbock....not exactly the Big House or The Swamp.  Texas was lucky to even be in the game as they were statistically dominated in every category except score, which was somehow still close.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HogNuttz

Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

cypert2

I got no dog in this fight but, Texas beat em heads up. Got to go with Texas. Seems pretty simple.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Luke Duke

Of course Texas Tech is technically in the three-way tie, but they have zero chance to be the top ranked BCS team between the three.  None.  Zilch. 

This is a two horse race, and they've already raced.
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

arklahoman36

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 09:23:24 am
45-35.

Say 45-35 as much as you want, it doesn't negate the fact it is a three-way tie, which takes away head-to-head as the final determining factor.
People can pretend the Texas-Tech game doesn't matter, but 39-33 matters as much as 45-35.

EastTexasHog

Texas.  If you are a fan of a playoff, you would have to vote Texas since they won head to head.  If you like the current BCS fuzzy picture type mess, then you would go for the "hot" team at the end.

Texas won head to head on neutral field, and Texas only lost on the road at the last second.

EastTexasHog

The SEC evidently throws out the bottom BCS team in a three way tie and then goes head to head to determine winner.

JoyDivision

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 29, 2008, 11:11:50 pm
Being from Fort Smith, i almost hate OU more than Texas. I don't like either one, but all the OU fans flying their flags and wearing their shirts only since theyve become good again really makes me sick.

ditto

UhOhioHog

Texass beat OU and doesn't give up so many points.

The OU defense has not impressed as of late.

Gotta go with Texass.

gohogsgo006

Texas beat OU on a neutral field. Easy decision. Next
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

gohogsgo006

I wonder if Florida will gain enough points with a win over Bama to jump OU in the polls, because I really dont want to see a Texas v OU rematch.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

OklaU

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on November 30, 2008, 11:55:43 am
Texas beat OU on a neutral field. Easy decision. Next

Easy decision except that is not what's important.  The BCS is going to decide this taking everything into account and some other random metrics.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

OklaU

November 30, 2008, 12:01:52 pm #84 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:06:36 pm by OklaU
OU ahead of Texas in Coach's and AP poll...

Boardon Hamsay

November 30, 2008, 12:07:43 pm #85 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:11:43 pm by rlh06
IMO, the head to head matchup should decide this debate.  However, OU has won with a stronger schedule than Texas in the last two games.  OU will probably jump Texas in the BCS and play in the B12CG.

The big winner in this is the Cotton Bowl.  The Cotton Bowl is going to get: 1)a top 10 ranked BCS/B12 team should travel well to Dallas, 2)a strong team that argueably could be in a BCS bowl, and 3) more media attention from the "whoever the B12 sends to the Cotton getting hosed" arguement that is sure to ensue.  This could also give the Cotton Bowl some leverage into joining the BCS as "another way" to save the bowl system and avoid a playoff system for a few years.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HogNuttz

Quote from: rlh06 on November 30, 2008, 12:07:43 pm
IMO, the head to head matchup should decide this debate.  However, OU has won with a stronger schedule than Texas in the last two games.  OU will probably jump Texas in the BCS and play in the B12CG.

The big winner in this is the Cotton Bowl.  The Cotton Bowl is going to get: 1)a top 10 ranked BCS/B12 team should travel well to Dallas, 2)a strong team that argueably could be in a BCS bowl, and 3) more media attention from the "whoever the B12 sends to the Cotton getting hosed" arguement that is sure to ensue.  This could also give the Cotton Bowl some leverage into joining the BCS as "another way" to save the bowl system and avoid a playoff system for a few years.

And Ole' Miss gets fricked royally.

hawgwash

This whole argument is based on the arrogant premise that TT doesn't matter.  And the reason TT doesn't matter, it would appear, is because they are a "commoner", unlike UT or OU, both of which are considered "royalty".  And under the idiotic rules the Big XII has put into place, the team which is most popular with the polls has the advantage.  So a one loss TT team suffers because, well, because they aren't UT or OU.  The only other reason they aren't in the discussion is because they got pummeled by OU, whereas the other two head to head matchups were fairly close.  I think in a three way tie you have to give all three head to head games equal weight, and therefore OU should play in the conference championship game.

slowride

gotta go with texas.  45-35

OklaU

Quote from: hawgwash on November 30, 2008, 12:12:52 pm
This whole argument is based on the arrogant premise that TT doesn't matter.  And the reason TT doesn't matter, it would appear, is because they are a "commoner", unlike UT or OU, both of which are considered "royalty".  And under the idiotic rules the Big XII has put into place, the team which is most popular with the polls has the advantage.  So a one loss TT team suffers because, well, because they aren't UT or OU.  The only other reason they aren't in the discussion is because they got pummeled by OU, whereas the other two head to head matchups were fairly close.  I think in a three way tie you have to give all three head to head games equal weight, and therefore OU should play in the conference championship game.

I totally agree with fact that Tech is getting robbed out of this whole discussion.  Remember last night if OU losses, Tech goes to the Big 12 CG not Texas!!!

Throwback1

I'm as neutral as possible on this.  Hate them both equally.  But, same record, and one beat the other head to head on a neutral field.  Easy call, Texas.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 30, 2008, 12:12:32 pm
And Ole' Miss gets fricked royally.

I agree.  The loser in this situation is whoever the SEC sends to the Cotton Bowl.  My guess is a TTech - OM, matchup where Tech should win convincingly.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Throwback1

"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

HogNuttz

Yep.  As of yesterday afternoon Texas was the only one of the teams that needed help from someone else to get a share of the tie and they had no shot of winning it outright, yet today everyone thinks they should be going.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Boardon Hamsay

OklaU

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 30, 2008, 12:19:43 pm
Yep.  As of yesterday afternoon Texas was the only one of the teams that needed help from someone else to get a share of the tie and they had no shot of winning it outright, yet today everyone thinks they should be going.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well all three teams needed help.  OU needed Tech to win, Texas needed OU to win, Tech needed OU to lose.

ErieHog

Oklahoma, and it's not even particularly close.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Throwback1

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 30, 2008, 12:19:43 pm
Not sure I understand?  Texas has a share of the Big 12 South by beating A&M, 3 place tie for first at worst.  TT and OU had to win to share the title with UT, all with one loss overall and in conference. Or did I miss your point?

Throwback1

Quote from: ErieHog on November 30, 2008, 12:22:48 pm
Oklahoma, and it's not even particularly close.
Too bad they couldn't beat UT on the football field, I guess.

OklaU

Quote from: Throwback1 on November 30, 2008, 12:23:11 pm
Not sure I understand?  Texas has a share of the Big 12 South by beating A&M, 3 place tie for first at worst.  TT and OU had to win to share the title with UT, all with one loss overall and in conference. Or did I miss your point?

If OU had lost Tech would have went to the Big 12 outright over Texas.  I think that is the point.