Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your vote to move on?

Texas
122 (58.7%)
Oklahoma
86 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 197

JIHawg

Tough call.  I don't like either team.  Bottom line, Texas beat Oklahoma on the field, and was more impressive beating TAM than OU was beating OSU.

Texas

Boog41

Quote from: JIHawg on November 29, 2008, 11:05:29 pm
Tough call.  I don't like either team.  Bottom line, Texas beat Oklahoma on the field, and was more impressive beating TAM than OU was beating OSU.

Texas

OSU was ranked in the top 20 and A&M wasn't ranked period.

hogsndawgs

Texas

I agree with you that the UT/OU game should be the bottom line. But the part about the aTm victory being more impressive is misleading. aTm was one of the worst teams in the entire country this year. OSU was the 11th ranked team in the country coming into the game.

OklaU

What have you done for me lately?  OU has done nothing but win and win big...

Plus I'm an Alum so OU baby!
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Hugulus Hog

We could have beaten A&M, easily.  A&M wasn't even in shouting distance of the top 25, much less the top 15.

hawgwash

Why isn't Texas Tech an option?

The_Iceman

Being from Fort Smith, i almost hate OU more than Texas. I don't like either one, but all the OU fans flying their flags and wearing their shirts only since theyve become good again really makes me sick.

PigDaddyKane

Texas.

1.  Beat OU
2.  Texas only loss was a last second TD on the road
3.  OU's loss was by 10 points on a neutral field

I'm not sure it is going to matter.  I think either Bama or Florida will win the NC.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

Auburn

Texas.  They lost on a last second touchdown to a capable TT team.

I think OU will get the nod though because they punished TT and beat TCU and Cincy.

JIHawg

Quote from: hawgwash on November 29, 2008, 11:10:27 pm
Why isn't Texas Tech an option?

They aren't ranked as high as Texas and Oklahoma.  The highest ranked team tomorrow will go to the championship game.  Tech has no chance.

OklaU

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 29, 2008, 11:11:50 pm
Being from Fort Smith, i almost hate OU more than Texas. I don't like either one, but all the OU fans flying their flags and wearing their shirts only since theyve become good again really makes me sick.

Let's be real about this, there are hogs fans that do the same thing.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

hawgwash

Quote from: JIHawg on November 29, 2008, 11:13:12 pm
They aren't ranked as high as Texas and Oklahoma.  The highest ranked team tomorrow will go to the championship game.  Tech has no chance.
I realize that.  I'm just tired of all the hipocracy saying TX should go because they beat OU head up, ignoring that they lost to TT head up.  I think OU should go, because of the three head to head matchups their win was the most convincing.

gohee

OU is playing better right now vs. ranked opponents than Texas.  That will get the computer and voters' bumps and deservingly so - based on how the current screwed up system works.

Also, you can't look at head-to-head, or you get into this circular reasoning cycle you never get out of, so you have to look at another tie breaker method.

Given this, assuming the BCS doesn't decide the winner.  OU wins all other possible (reasonable) tie breakers: total pts, pts allowed, pt margin, etc.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: OklaU on November 29, 2008, 11:09:14 pm
What have you done for me lately?  OU has done nothing but win and win big...

Plus I'm an Alum so OU baby!

And lose to Texas.

MuskogeeHogFan

November 29, 2008, 11:19:44 pm #14 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:21:15 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

Texas

Texas beat OU by 10
Texas Tech beat Texas by 6
OU beat Texas Tech by 44

Any time you bring into play the Texas win over OU, you have to bring the rest of the games into play as well.

Margins of Victory For The Season Totalled By Teams Vs. Big 12 Teams Only Including Tonight:
OU        138
Texas    100
T. Tech   65

Ranked teams played and Record:
Texas              4(3-1)
Texas Tech       3(2-1)
Oklahoma          5(4-1)

I know you guys hate OU, but don't let your hatred blind your good judgement because there isn't anyway in heck that the team to advance to the Big 12 CG should be Texas or Texas Tech.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsndawgs

Quote from: gohee on November 29, 2008, 11:17:33 pm
OU is playing better right now vs. ranked opponents than Texas.  That will get the computer and voters' bumps and deservingly so - based on how the current screwed up system works.

Also, you can't look at head-to-head, or you get into this circular reasoning cycle you never get out of, so you have to look at another tie breaker method.

Given this, assuming the BCS doesn't decide the winner.  OU wins all other possible (reasonable) tie breakers: total pts, pts allowed, pt margin, etc.

Head to head does matter in only one situation: When both teams have the exact same record.

gohee

Quote from: hogsndawgs on November 29, 2008, 11:20:01 pm
Head to head does matter in only one situation: When both teams have the exact same record.

But in this case... head-to-head doesn't give you a clear winner... so it doesn't play in.

win-streak

TEXAS!!! (sorry for shouting...)  texas...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsndawgs on November 29, 2008, 11:20:01 pm

Head to head is irrelevant in this case. What will matter is who ends up ranked higher in the BCS tomorrow evening. Besides, if head to head mattered, then Tech should still be above Texas because they beat them and OU is their only loss.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

As much as you may hate it, get ready, OU will jump Texas in the BCS.
Go Hogs Go!

judgeroyswine

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 29, 2008, 11:25:29 pm
As much as you may hate it, get ready, OU will jump Texas in the BCS.

Yes, the black magic spell has been cast. 

Baylor blows 14 point lead.  OU receivers catch ricocheting passes.  OU QB fumbles and then stumbles in for a TD.  How do you compete with this stuff?
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Hog inAustin

I really think Texas deserves it...we'll see soon...WPS!!!

ronmahony

I figure it'll be OU, But they'll get beat by Florida.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 29, 2008, 11:33:04 pm
OU receivers catch ricocheting passes.  OU QB fumbles and then stumbles in for a TD.  How do you compete with this stuff?

If the coaches vote this kind of win over the way Texas played last night then it's more politics than substance. We'll see tomorrow who has more scores to be settled with other coaches--Mack or Stoops.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 29, 2008, 11:37:57 pm
If the coaches vote this kind of win over the way Texas played last night then it's more politics than substance. We'll see tomorrow who has more scores to be settled with other coaches--Mack or Stoops.

Stoops coaching tree is bigger.  I hope it doesn't come to that.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

jcmojica23

I really hope Mizzou plays spoiler and beats OU or Texas

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jcmojica23

I think OU is gonna get the nod on this one

AnthroHog

Hypothetically, let's say that whichever team gets chosen to play in the Big 12 championship gets upset.  Does that mean the team that didn't win its league's championship gets to play for the National Title by default? 

I think that if the choice is solely between Texas and Oklahoma that Texas deserves to go based on beating them in a head-to-head meeting.  Too bad they couldn't get a rematch for their league's championship.

nextlevel

Quote from: jcmojica23 on November 30, 2008, 12:22:56 am
I think OU is gonna get the nod on this one

Why should they?

When comparing Texas to Ou, one needs to consider the fact that the game was played on a neutral field, that in itself can eliminate the TT factor (home-away, if both played at tech then they could be considered, OU even lost there last year). Texas is better then OU, head to head, they already proved that.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HogKing111

IMO, the most fair way to settle it is on the field, and they did face each other on the field. Texas beat OU straight up, and both teams have one loss on the year, and both losses were not "bad" losses. Picking out stats like margin of victory or opponet's W-L is useful if you have to compare two teams on paper, but I see no logic in doing that if the teams have faced each other on the field.

Texas - 45
OU - 35

Oliver

Quote from: jcmojica23 on November 30, 2008, 12:18:33 am
I really hope Mizzou plays spoiler and beats OU or Texas
\

I think we could beat Mizzou at this point.  I think the USC vs. UCLA game will be closer than the Big 12 Title Game regardless of whether OU/Texas plays in it.

nextlevel

Quote from: AnthroHog on November 30, 2008, 12:25:24 am
Hypothetically, let's say that whichever team gets chosen to play in the Big 12 championship gets upset.  Does that mean the team that didn't win its league's championship gets to play for the National Title by default? 

I think that if the choice is solely between Texas and Oklahoma that Texas deserves to go based on beating them in a head-to-head meeting.  Too bad they couldn't get a rematch for their league's championship.

By default, NO, IMO.

I hope both Saban and Miles give the 06 classic "Its clear the two best teams in the country played today and should play again for the national championship" after the game next Saturday.

ell oh ell

jcmojica23

Quote from: nextlevel on November 30, 2008, 12:26:39 am
Why should they?

When comparing Texas to Ou, one needs to consider the fact that the game was played on a neutral field, that in itself can eliminate the TT factor (home-away, if both played at tech then they could be considered, OU even lost there last year). Texas is better then OU, head to head, they already proved that.

I dont think they should get the nod but thats what prolly will happen its what have you done for me lately and OU dismantled TT and beat a very tough OSU on the road..UT did beat A&M but they are terrible this year...the BCS is a joke and it should be UT based on the head to head but more than likely itll be OU

jcmojica23

Hell neither of these teams might be playing for the title if Mizzou goes out and wins...after todays loss against Kansas they might be looking to go and make a statement.  I hope they win so SC can have a shot

Oliver

Quote from: nextlevel on November 30, 2008, 12:26:39 am
Why should they?

Some will be impressed by the fact OU just got done wiping the floor with two top 25 teams, some will be impressed by the fact that Texas beat OU in a head to head match on a neutral field,  some will be impressed by OU's superior offense, some will be impressed by Texas's superior defense, some will vote for OU because they don't like Brown or Texas, some will vote for Texas because they don't like Stoops or OU, etc.

PERCEPTION and PERSONAL OPINIONS are being used to determine championships.  Not just National Championships anymore...conference championships.  Whether they pick OU or Texas tomorrow, it's a bad choice.  Hell, I think Tech could beat either one of them on a neutral field if they played tomorrow. 

The convenience of scheduling factor is going to end up helping OU in the end tomorrow.

nextlevel

Quote from: jcmojica23 on November 30, 2008, 12:28:49 am
I dont think they should get the nod but thats what prolly will happen its what have you done for me lately and OU dismantled TT and beat a very tough OSU on the road..UT did beat A&M but they are terrible this year...the BCS is a joke and it should be UT based on the head to head but more than likely itll be OU

Since when does the post season play come down to what happens the final game of the regular season?

Last I check Texas beat OSU and OU beat aTm........

ell oh ell

jcmojica23

Quote from: nextlevel on November 30, 2008, 12:32:26 am
Since when does the post season play come down to what happens the final game of the regular season?

Last I check Texas beat OSU and OU beat aTm........

So maybe they did but your forgetting now a days its what have you done for me lately...OU THROTTLED TT and Beat OSU on the road....the system is flawed but thats what will happen...imo

nextlevel

Quote from: jcmojica23 on November 30, 2008, 12:35:24 am
So maybe they did but your forgetting now a days its what have you done for me lately...OU THROTTLED TT and Beat OSU on the road....the system is flawed but thats what will happen...imo

And we go back around this circle, Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral field.

You can not compare scores, mutual opponents, etc. So Bob Stoops runs up the score as usual, while Mack Brown shows class and calls the dogs off aTm. Class means something, maybe the voters will agree?

ell oh ell

nwa_razorback_coffee

"Sometimes you do need to have a little luck to win, and I felt like there were a couple plays that luck was on our side."   --Sam Bradford (Following Win Over OSU)

That settles it. Oklahoma gets to go to the Las Vegas Bowl while Texas is relegated to play for the BCS Championship.

Oliver

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 12:41:19 am
"Sometimes you do need to have a little luck to win, and I felt like there were a couple plays that luck was on our side.”   --Sam Bradford (Following Win Over OSU)

That settles it. Oklahoma gets to go to the Las Vegas Bowl while Texas is relegated to play for the BCS Championship.

That TD pass to Jermaine Gresham would take us 50 years of saving up luck to accomplish.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: Oliver Miller on November 30, 2008, 12:42:45 am
That TD pass to Jermaine Gresham would take us 50 years of saving up luck to accomplish.

I wish you were a voter in one of the polls. You sound rational.

bigyellowdog

Tough call to pick between two schools that I despise.  However, Texas won head to head, so they get the nod. 

Go Mizzou!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 29, 2008, 11:33:04 pm
Yes, the black magic spell has been cast. 

Baylor blows 14 point lead.  OU receivers catch ricocheting passes.  OU QB fumbles and then stumbles in for a TD.  How do you compete with this stuff?

Well yeah, and OSU clearly turns the ball over on a fumble that the officials say isn't a fumble, despite what replays show. OSU receives a kick off and takes it all the way to the house. I'd say everybody got their fair share of breaks last night.
Go Hogs Go!

HogNuttz

November 30, 2008, 06:09:31 am #44 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:12:52 am by HogNuttz
I'm so freaking sick of Texas fans holding signs that say:

Better
Check the
Scoreboard

And I'm sick of Mack Brown getting on T.V. and reminding everyone they beat Oklahoma by 10 on a neutral field, and the fans calling into radio shows, and posters on message boards, etc.... I'm absolutely sick of it.  If that's the case then by Texas' own admission they lost to the worst team of the three.

Need I remind everyone this is a three way tie.  Sure Texas Tech isn't going to make it, but the Texas bitching that they beat Oklahoma doesn't hold water because Tech beat the Longhorns.  Someone is going to the Big 12 CG from the Big 12 south and there will be a team with the same number of losses and a victory over the Championship game representative that will be staying home.  With that being said the head to head competition breaks down like this:

Texas:  won a close game, lost a close game
Tech: won a close game, got beaten to a bloody pulp
OU: lost a close game, won a game where they made Tech look like division II

I go OU.  I think they have a better body of work for the season and they are the hotter team now.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

intoxhog

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on November 29, 2008, 11:12:08 pm
Texas.

1.  Beat OU
2.  Texas only loss was a last second TD on the road
3.  OU's loss was by 10 points on a neutral field

I'm not sure it is going to matter.  I think either Bama or Florida will win the NC.
Using that logic why is Florida even consieder for a MNC after losing to an (unranked at the time) Ole Miss team at their crib. If Florida beats bama it should be OU vs Texas.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Torqued pork

Texas

head to head has to count for something

intoxhog

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on November 30, 2008, 07:20:02 am
Texas

head to head has to count for something
Man, the ESPN hype machine really did a good job this week on some of you guys.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 30, 2008, 06:09:31 am
I'm so freaking sick of Texas fans holding signs...

And I'm sick of Mack Brown...

I'm absolutely sick of it...

You, my friend, should see a doctor. It's affecting your logic.

intoxhog

November 30, 2008, 07:29:56 am #49 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:31:52 am by intoxhog
Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 30, 2008, 07:26:02 am
You, my friend, should see a doctor. It's affecting your logic.
Again using logic which is a worse lose,  #1 OU loosing to # 4 Texas on a neutral field or # 4 Florida losing to a unranked Ole miss squad at their home? Furthermore why is Texas Tech out of the discussion IT WAS A 3 WAY TIE!

Either way you go with it, the system is broke. We need a true playoff with the top 8 teams.