Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone catch Brando and Tillman on the Croom deal?

Started by Boarcephus, November 29, 2008, 04:22:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Watson

Quote from: 1836andon on November 29, 2008, 04:54:21 pm
I think you misunderstand the argument.  No one is proposing the hiring of people simply because they are black.  The idea is that schools should at least interview black candidates before making a decision.  It should lead to more hires for qualified blacks in college football, just as we've seen in the NFL.  Not sure why anyone would be opposed to it, it just another positive step towards equality. 

I'm not opposed to it.  I'm opposed to being told I have to do it.  People should be hired on merit...not skin color.  But don't force me to interview a person because of skin color when I may already know who I want to hire.  It is a waste of everyone's time.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

hawgsav1

Quote from: rampage72501 on November 29, 2008, 05:46:58 pm
Then why give an interview to a minority candidate because he's a minority?     

How many assistant coaches don't get an interview because they're just an assistant?

Why not just make it mandatory that everyone who may be remotely qualified gets an interview?

You're working under the assumption that the minorities that are being mentioned are unqualified.  Who would you be more scared of as a coach?  Lane Kiffin, who was a crappy playcaller at USC and a coach who went 3-13 with the Raiders?  Or Charlie Strong, the mastermind behind the Florida defense and the reason they won the NC in 2006?  I'd personally take Turner Gill over Lane Kiffin.  Turner Gill turned around the worst CFB program in history.  Why not interview them?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

ChicoHog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 29, 2008, 06:04:54 pm
You're working under the assumption that the minorities that are being mentioned are unqualified.  Who would you be more scared of as a coach?  Lane Kiffin, who was a crappy playcaller at USC and a coach who went 3-13 with the Raiders?  Or Charlie Strong, the mastermind behind the Florida defense and the reason they won the NC in 2006?  I'd personally take Turner Gill over Lane Kiffin.  Turner Gill turned around the worst CFB program in history.  Why not interview them?
KState was the worst program in history and Bill Snyder turned them around.  I think Gill has done a great job at Buffalo and he will likely move up the ranks but I think he has only been there a couple of years.  And Kiffin was a good playcaller at USC.  the amazing thing is how did he get an NFL job?  He is probably the only NFL coach in history to go from an assistant coach in college to head coach in the NFL.  of course Al Davis is behind it so that explains everything!

Stamford Hog

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 29, 2008, 04:23:08 pm
Anyone else getting tired of that fact rubbed in everyone's face every time a black coach is hired/fired?

It's a really tough subject.  Obviously the number is disproportionate and needs to be corrected.  The problem is I'm not aware of a large number of african american coaches who are likely candidates for major college coaching positions.  Maybe the emphasis should be on some of the non-BCS schools hiring as that is typically the launching pad for BCS coaches. 

I think Charlie Strong would be a great head coach and Turner Gill is likely to get a BCS position very soon.  But are there high profile african american co-ordinators that I'm missing?  I know Kentucky has one that is replacing Rich Brooks this year, but I can't think of a large number of others.  I guess that is part of the problem as well.

hawgsav1

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 29, 2008, 06:09:39 pm
KState was the worst program in history and Bill Snyder turned them around.  I think Gill has done a great job at Buffalo and he will likely move up the ranks but I think he has only been there a couple of years.  And Kiffin was a good playcaller at USC.  the amazing thing is how did he get an NFL job?  He is probably the only NFL coach in history to go from an assistant coach in college to head coach in the NFL.  of course Al Davis is behind it so that explains everything!

If you watched Kiffin's playcalling at USC, he did not cater to his team's strengths.  First off, he was co-offensive coordinator with Steve Sarkisian, so he did not shoulder the full load.  Second off, he kept forcing Booty to throw in obvious running situations, and in 2006, he lost the Oregon State game because despite his plethora of ground-churning tailbacks (Chauncey Washington, CJ Gable, Emmanuel Moody, Stafon Johnson, etc.,  he forced Booty to keep throwing in the end zone, resulting in a number of interceptions, including the game clincher for Oregon State.  Despite his O-line's inability to pass block for an immobile QB, he kept Booty throwing in the UCLA game, and Booty had no time to get his feet set either.  They could have ran the ball straight down UCLA"s throats and won the game, yet the inept playcalling managed to keep UCLA in the game and give them the game-winnign interception.  Kiffin is a very overrated coach.  Even USC fans and others around the program agree with that assessment. 

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 29, 2008, 06:04:54 pm

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here.  It seems that a lot of people feel the minorities shouldn't get a job just because of their skin color, so why should they get an interview just because of their skin color?

The bottom line here, right or wrong, is when a program is looking for a head coach, the people making the decisions on who will get the job should decide who they talk to and who they don't.  If they don't want to talk to a coach, no matter the reason, they shouldn't be forced to.

Are there minority coaches who deserve a head coaching job?  Sure, but there are probably just as many non-minority coaches who probably deserve a head coaching job as well.  Who's going to force the athletic directors to give them an interview?

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

Hogs4Ever

How can these morons bring up the race card when Obama was just elected PRESIDENT??  I think that kinda trumps a college head coaching job.

94 Hawg

Quote from: Stamford Hog on November 29, 2008, 06:12:05 pm
It's a really tough subject.  Obviously the number is disproportionate and needs to be corrected.  The problem is I'm not aware of a large number of african american coaches who are likely candidates for major college coaching positions.  Maybe the emphasis should be on some of the non-BCS schools hiring as that is typically the launching pad for BCS coaches. 

I think Charlie Strong would be a great head coach and Turner Gill is likely to get a BCS position very soon.  But are there high profile african american co-ordinators that I'm missing?  I know Kentucky has one that is replacing Rich Brooks this year, but I can't think of a large number of others.  I guess that is part of the problem as well.
for crying out loud, "needs to be corrected"?
how many Italian, Australian and Portuguese coaches got interviews this year? social engineering at its finest. when you become AD of your school, I look forward to reading about your international search for a new head coach.  ::)

and while we're at it, how bout some stats on receivers, tailbacks, safeties and point guards. I suspect those positions to be in need of correction too.
I recall hearing similar hand wringing during the baseball playoffs of the "issue" concerning not having enough black baseball players.
sheesh
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 29, 2008, 04:22:20 pm
Slammed UT for the hiring of Kiffin without interviewing Strong or Turner Gill.  Hate to be MSU right now. 

But Brando did not slam Old Piss for hiring his boy Nutt and not interviewing minority coaches.

porkurina

I just hope those multi star MSU recruits don't change their mind to go to Ole Miss.  Did they have any defensive line recruits?  Maybe BP will send some coaches to visit them.

NWASooner

If you actually watched the segment, you'd know what they said.  Their point was that a coach shouldn't be hired because he's black but right now, black candidates for jobs aren't even getting interviewed in the process.  Their point was that there are only three black coaches in all of college football and they're at Houston, Buffalo, and Miami and have done well and neither are even getting interviews.  Meanwhile, Tennessee hires a 33 year old who has never even called plays at the college level and was a train wreck in the NFL?  Really?  Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, and Turner Gill aren't more qualified than Kiffin?

College football is the one sport that's behind on this.  College basketball, pro football, NBA, etc., all have significant numbers of black coaches.  College football is the long pole in the tent.

Again, their point wasn't for quotas and it's obvious most of the people on this thread didn't even see the segment.  Their point was that solid candidates who happen to be black aren't even getting interviewed.

They also had a mention that if you're North Carolina and you get the chance to hire a Butch Davis, you do and that's a no brainer.

The reason what they said has traction is because it's true.

hawgsav1

Quote from: rampage72501 on November 29, 2008, 06:36:01 pm
I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here.  It seems that a lot of people feel the minorities shouldn't get a job just because of their skin color, so why should they get an interview just because of their skin color?

The bottom line here, right or wrong, is when a program is looking for a head coach, the people making the decisions on who will get the job should decide who they talk to and who they don't.  If they don't want to talk to a coach, no matter the reason, they shouldn't be forced to.

Are there minority coaches who deserve a head coaching job?  Sure, but there are probably just as many non-minority coaches who probably deserve a head coaching job as well.  Who's going to force the athletic directors to give them an interview?

I appreciate people playing devil's advocate.  I enjoy having rational debate and discussion (though since I do, I should probably not be in MMQB ;))

I think the assumption of a pure meritocracy is being made, which is incorrect.  There is a large amount of nepotism and "Good-Ole-Boy" networking at any job, and ESP. in college football.  So many coaches get their sons or brothers or others into the system, and often there is a recycling of used coaches instead of a fresh infusion of coaching talent into the system. So since there aren't already many AA coaches who have made it, you see a lot of these talentless hacks getting recycled (ala Kiffin) instead of legit coaches who deserve the job (regardless of race.  I would take Brian Kelly or Charlie Strong or Chris Petersen over Kiffin).  Also, a lot of players who don't make the NFL or don't stay very long find a desire to go into coaching.  Considering a large percentage of players are black, and an ever growing percentage of assistants are black, why does the head coaching position filter out all the black coaches, or even the non-BCS coaches?

NWASooner

QuoteBut don't force me to interview a person because of skin color when I may already know who I want to hire.  It is a waste of everyone's time.

Um, yes they can.  These schools are government entities.  There's also a certain level of Congressional oversight involving anti-trust issues and whatnot. 

If the state of Tennessee wants to mandate that it's state schools interview at least one minority candidate like the NFL does, then the schools will do that.

1836andon

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 06:46:38 pm
If you actually watched the segment, you'd know what they said.  Their point was that a coach shouldn't be hired because he's black but right now, black candidates for jobs aren't even getting interviewed in the process.  Their point was that there are only three black coaches in all of college football and they're at Houston, Buffalo, and Miami and have done well and neither are even getting interviews.  Meanwhile, Tennessee hires a 33 year old who has never even called plays at the college level and was a train wreck in the NFL?  Really?  Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, and Turner Gill aren't more qualified than Kiffin?

College football is the one sport that's behind on this.  College basketball, pro football, NBA, etc., all have significant numbers of black coaches.  College football is the long pole in the tent.

Again, their point wasn't for quotas and it's obvious most of the people on this thread didn't even see the segment.  Their point was that solid candidates who happen to be black aren't even getting interviewed.

They also had a mention that if you're North Carolina and you get the chance to hire a Butch Davis, you do and that's a no brainer.

The reason what they said has traction is because it's true.

You make some great points.  Sadly, a number of people cant accept equality in this country.  They hate the idea of developing programs that might possibly lead us towards more of it in society. 

No one is advocating giving people jobs because they are black.  Only interviews.  Why cant people see the difference?

lovetthog1

1836andon

Quote from: PorkOpine on November 29, 2008, 06:58:18 pm
WTH?  Have you ever heard of a little program by the name of Affirmative Action?  Interviews alone aren't enough to satisfy THAT program.  Good Lord.

I am missing your point. 

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: 1836andon on November 29, 2008, 06:53:10 pm
No one is advocating giving people jobs because they are black.  Only interviews.  Why cant people see the difference?

How is giving someone an interview based on the color of his skin different?

Coaches should be given interviews because someone believes they are the best person for the job - period.
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

msudawgs64

Quote from: lovetthog1 on November 29, 2008, 05:48:55 pm
The real factor in Coach Croom's demise is that he didnt get it done. I think its overcomplicating things to make HDN any factor in Crooms depature. The SEC is a tough, cutthroat and in your face league. Croom has more character in his pinky finger than the Nuttster has in his entire body. But character isnt going to give you job security. In coaching job security is a three letter word , w i n .

bingo...we have a winner right here.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

NWASooner

Kiffin getting the TN job really made this look bad for college football.  I was under the impression he never called plays at USC.  I could be wrong.  Even if he did, they went downhill while he was there.  He didn't exactly light the world on fire in the NFL, either.

He may turn out to be a great college coach and he may not but there's no way he was qualified for that job.  They couldn't even interview Charlie Strong, Turner Gill, or Kevin Sumlin?

BTW, as for "token" interviews, the black coaches in the NFL speak very well of their rule.  It's their opinion that even if they don't get job, their name gets out there. 

I say all this as an OU fan who gave a coach the best job a black coach had ever had at that point and he was a disaster.  He couldn't coach his way out of a Wendy's.

Lou Holtz and Mark May also talked about this and had the same conclusions.  The only difference was that Mark May said the only head coaching jobs black coaches get are crappy jobs.  Holtz chimed in with any new HC job an assistant gets is going to be a bad one.  Rarely do you start out of a top notch program.

lovetthog1

You make some great points.  Sadly, a number of people cant accept equality in this country.  They hate the idea of developing programs that might possibly lead us towards more of it in society. 

-----------------------

I think people see the difference. Mandating interviews is not the solution for what you perceive to be a problem of equality. You can interview 100 minorities and still hire the white coach. Your point is moot. In order for you to reach the goal of more black coaches you would have to mandate the actual hiring of black coaches. This would be horrible for college football. The part of our community that feels the need to push these types of agendas needs to stop pushing. Its ridiculous now imo, I see no evidence to suggest that any football program would pass on a minority head coach if they felt like they would win with him. College football is about winning or loosing , please stop making everything about race.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Again, playing devil's advocate, perhaps some of the minority coaches should hire publicists to help promote themselves in the "good ole boy" network.  Don't give the AD's and booster's a chance to ignore you.  Promote yourself at every opportunity so somebody, somewhere has to take notice of what you bring to the table.

cypert2

Quote from: HoginHeat on November 29, 2008, 04:57:36 pm
Well F'IN do better! Everytime a black coach has been GIVEN a chance, they don't do well. Get the job on merit. NCAA does not equal the Klan!
How many black coaches have been giving chances? The number is very small. Not enough for a fair sample. More black coaches should be giving chances. White coaches fail all the time. Maybe those white coaches need to F'IN do better.
Swinging on the two and the four.

HOGLIGULA

The one question that is never raised  "how many Black assistant coaches are at BCS programs or non BCS schools?", I wonder why that is?  In order to land a Head coaching job in most cases you have to be an assistant on some level, and that school has to be successful or you will not be mentioned for vacancies.  So why not get more Black assistant coaches, and then see what happens
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

1836andon

Quote from: lovetthog1 on November 29, 2008, 07:07:09 pm

-----------------------

I think people see the difference. Mandating interviews is not the solution for what you perceive to be a problem of equality. You can interview 100 minorities and still hire the white coach. Your point is moot. In order for you to reach the goal of more black coaches you would have to mandate the actual hiring of black coaches. This would be horrible for college football. The part of our community that feels the need to push these types of agendas needs to stop pushing. Its ridiculous now imo, I see no evidence to suggest that any football program would pass on a minority head coach if they felt like they would win with him. College football is about winning or loosing , please stop making everything about race.

Not true at all. You do not need to mandate the hiring of black coaches in order to to correct the problem.  The NFL mandates the interviewing of minority candidates for head coaching positions and they they have seen a great increase in the number black head coaches as a result.   

1836andon

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 29, 2008, 07:20:52 pm
The one question that is never raised  "how many Black assistant coaches are at BCS programs or non BCS schools?", I wonder why that is?  In order to land a Head coaching job in most cases you have to be an assistant on some level, and that school has to be successful or you will not be mentioned for vacancies.  So why not get more Black assistant coaches, and then see what happens

I'm willing to bet that the number of black BCS assistant coaches is drastically disproportionate to the number of black head coaches. 

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: 1836andon on November 29, 2008, 07:30:00 pm
I'm willing to bet that the number of black BCS assistant coaches is drastically disproportionate to the number of black head coaches. 

Well you see that is not the problem. Fewer Black assistant coaches equals smaller pool for possible Black head coaches, so until there are more Black assistants there will not be an increase in  Black head coaches.  It is very simple, increase the number of Black assistants and in turn there will be an increase of potential Black head coaches
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

songofthesword

everyone needs to read this article

http://bcasports.cstv.com/genrel/102507aab.html

Mike Tomlin, lovie smith and romeno crennel are direct hires of the rooney rule. Tomlin and smith coach two of the best teams in football right now.

BSEE78

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 06:50:30 pm
Um, yes they can.  These schools are government entities.  There's also a certain level of Congressional oversight involving anti-trust issues and whatnot. 

If the state of Tennessee wants to mandate that it's state schools interview at least one minority candidate like the NFL does, then the schools will do that.

The problem is that while most of the schools are public, most of the money to pay those multi-million dollar salaries is controlled by good-ole-boys in private foundations.  ADs and presidents don't want to be caught in a situation where they are interviewing minority candidates they know they cant hire. 

Ultimately that whole structure is going to come apart through not necessarily by civil rights action but more likely anti-trust or racketeering.

1836andon

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 29, 2008, 07:33:56 pm
Well you see that is not the problem. Fewer Black assistant coaches equals smaller pool for possible Black head coaches, so until there are more Black assistants there will not be an increase in  Black head coaches.  It is very simple, increase the number of Black assistants and in turn there will be an increase of potential Black head coaches

I was meaning that the number of black BCS assistants who would be a much higher percentage than the number of black head coaches.  Point being, there are more than 2 qualified black people to coach DI football. 

songofthesword

remember joker phillips is a coach in waiting.. so it's like it's 2 and a half really.

passinghog

Interview does not = hire

Many of those that say they don't want to be told who to interview would be amazed at the number of people in this country that get hired at jobs because of recommendations from prior interviews.
Bottom line is, the more that get interviewed, the more get their name out there and are given a chance.

Think Mike Tomlin, coach of the Steelers, was even on the radar for that job after Cowher stepped down? Get real. He wowed them in the interview. The more people you interview for a job, the more number of qualified candidates you expose yourself to as an employer.
Some people will never understand that concept.

NWASooner has been dead on in this thread.

passinghog

Quote from: BSEE78 on November 29, 2008, 07:36:11 pm
The problem is that while most of the schools are public, most of the money to pay those multi-million dollar salaries is controlled by good-ole-boys in private foundations.  ADs and presidents don't want to be caught in a situation where they are interviewing minority candidates they know they cant hire. 

Ultimately that whole structure is going to come apart through not necessarily by civil rights action but more likely anti-trust or racketeering.

Why would they know can NOT hire a minority if he's the best candidate?

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: 1836andon on November 29, 2008, 07:37:34 pm
I was meaning that the number of black BCS assistants who would be a much higher percentage than the number of black head coaches.  Point being, there are more than 2 qualified black people to coach DI football. 

Yes, but you completely missed my point it does not start with head coaches that is the end result, you have to start at the GA level, then to the assistant level only with increases there will it be possible for anyone to see an increase in the number of Black head coaches.  That is the problem I have and it is rarely ever addressed.

SILK PURSE

Wait a minute...during our coaching search, didn't Long try to arrange an interview with Strong only to be rejected?   I know we got the A rating so I'm not complaining for the UofA, but if he won't even listen to an offer from an SEC school, there's no telling how many other opportunities he has turned down.  Maybe the talking heads should include these numbers in their statistics.

On the dark days, I sit in a dimly lit alcove crushing up 250mg Nuvigil tablets and knitting tiny pink practice jerseys for Mr. Whiskers.  Then I think of the Herringboner Series--back to back fake punt calls in the 2008 Cotton Bowl.  Soon, shrill peals of laughter echo out the window and across the courtyard.

ThisTeetsTaken

When is the last time you heard of a big time program like Tennessee hold interviews for their head football coaching job?  In most cases, these days, the powers that be at major universities have an
"A","B", and "C" candidate.  They offer the "A" guy the job and if he doesn't bite, they act like they never offered and go on to the "B" candidate and so on.   Lets not act like people are showing up at the Athletic department, resume in hand, and being turned down for interviews.   Tillman said he didn't want it to sound like an "entitlement" issue but that's all it boils down to.  After all, what's the ratio of men head football coaches to women head football coaches?  Seems unfair that women aren't "interviewed"?  Just being silly but you get my point.   The bottom line for me though is this:  Don't freaking try to tell me who I can and can't hire or interview.  Last time I checked, this was not a communist country.  Thanks.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgsav1

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 07:05:06 pm
Kiffin getting the TN job really made this look bad for college football.  I was under the impression he never called plays at USC.  I could be wrong.  Even if he did, they went downhill while he was there.  He didn't exactly light the world on fire in the NFL, either.

He may turn out to be a great college coach and he may not but there's no way he was qualified for that job.  They couldn't even interview Charlie Strong, Turner Gill, or Kevin Sumlin?

BTW, as for "token" interviews, the black coaches in the NFL speak very well of their rule.  It's their opinion that even if they don't get job, their name gets out there. 

I say all this as an OU fan who gave a coach the best job a black coach had ever had at that point and he was a disaster.  He couldn't coach his way out of a Wendy's.

Lou Holtz and Mark May also talked about this and had the same conclusions.  The only difference was that Mark May said the only head coaching jobs black coaches get are crappy jobs.  Holtz chimed in with any new HC job an assistant gets is going to be a bad one.  Rarely do you start out of a top notch program.

He didn't, he was co-offensive coordinator with Sark.  Kiffin was the worst hire TEnnessee could have made.  Not that I'm complaining,

passinghog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 29, 2008, 07:47:46 pm
When is the last time you heard of a big time program like Tennessee hold interviews for their head football coaching job?  In most cases, these days, the powers that be at major universities have an
"A","B", and "C" candidate.  They offer the "A" guy the job and if he doesn't bite, they act like they never offered and go on to the "B" candidate and so on.   Lets not act like people are showing up at the Athletic department, resume in hand, and being turned down for interviews.   Tillman said he didn't want it to sound like an "entitlement" issue but that's all it boils down to.  After all, what's the ratio of men head football coaches to women head football coaches?  Seems unfair that women aren't "interviewed"?  Just being silly but you get my point.   The bottom line for me though is this:  Don't freaking try to tell me who I can and can't hire or interview.  Last time I checked, this was not a communist country.  Thanks.

No, we don't get your point. Where are the women on the recruiting board that we fans spend night and day trying to get to sign with our school to play football? None.

No one is telling anyone whom to hire. However, the employers that open up the interview process and interview all qualified candidates usually have the higher ratio of success.

Again, I'll ask a question to something someone posted earlier:
How are ADs and Presidents wasting their time by interviewiing minority candidates they know they CAN'T hire? How do you go in without even interviewing knowing that you CAN'T hire a minority for certain coaching jobs?

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: passinghog on November 29, 2008, 07:59:49 pm

Again, I'll ask a question to something someone posted earlier:
How are ADs and Presidents wasting their time by interviewiing minority candidates they know they CAN'T hire? How do you go in without even interviewing knowing that you CAN'T hire a minority for certain coaching jobs?

Well until there is a dramatic increase in the number of minority assistant coaches there can not and will not be an increase in the number of minority head coaches it is that simple, so start there and let it work itself out

Boarcephus

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 29, 2008, 08:10:50 pm
Well until there is a dramatic increase in the number of minority assistant coaches there can not and will not be an increase in the number of minority head coaches it is that simple, so start there and let it work itself out

I'd bet you'd be surprised at the number of minority assistant coaches.  I have no idea how many but I'd wager it's in the 20%+ or so range.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

songofthesword

it's at least 15%. at least. there is an african american coach on virtually every staff in america, that's 1 out of 9 coaches, that's 11%... and we have a 1.6% percent african american head coaches. 2 out of 119

hogsanity

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 29, 2008, 04:23:08 pm
Anyone else getting tired of that fact rubbed in everyone's face every time a black coach is hired/fired?

Maybe if they would start winnin games they wouldnt get canned.  COACHES GET FIRED FOR NOT WINNING.  Not just black coaches, but any coach...........red, green, white, black, or polka dotted.  You dont win, you get fired.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 29, 2008, 08:14:03 pm
I'd bet you'd be surprised at the number of minority assistant coaches.  I have no idea how many but I'd wager it's in the 20%+ or so range.

You are close overall, as concerning the NCAA football it is roughly between 18-24% for assistants, but the more important number is coordinators between 3-8%, who are more often considered for head coaching jobs

ThisTeetsTaken

Why isn't anyone complaining about the majority of football scholarships going to black athletes?  Why isn't anyone saying that it is wrong that only 1/3 of football scholarships are going to white kids? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Boarcephus

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 29, 2008, 08:21:02 pm
You are close overall, as concerning the NCAA football it is roughly between 18-24% for assistants, but the more important number is coordinators between 3-8%, who are more often considered for head coaching jobs

Good guess on my part, hooray for the good guys!!  :)

Don't most coordinators come from the assistant ranks?  One more thing, out of this 3-8%, wonder how many are OC's?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

songofthesword

no one is com plaining becuse it's not a problem.

in fact that's part of the probelm. you are good enough to play. you are good enough to take orders. but you aren't good enough to give them.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 29, 2008, 04:22:20 pm
Saying the with Croom out at MSU there will only be two black coaches out of 119 NCAA D1 teams while black athletes comprise 70% of the rosters.

Slammed UT for the hiring of Kiffin without interviewing Strong or Turner Gill.  Hate to be MSU right now. 

Under the Obama administration, Affirmative Action will come to the coaching ranks!  Just wait and see!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

hogsanity

What are school supposed to do, keep losing coaches just because they are black?  K-state didnt win enough games, Washington is pathetic, MSU is not up to SEC snuff.  Thats why those 3 black coaches got fired/resigend.  It is not like school are firing blasck coaches after they go 10-2 or play in BCS games.  They get fired for the same reasons white coaches do. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

songofthesword

why do people keep saying this?! no one in 3 pages has said anything about making anyone hire anyone.

INTERVIEW MORE MINORITIES.

the whole point is, there are more than 2 black people in the US that are quaiflied to run a college football team. that no one can argue with

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 29, 2008, 08:26:27 pm
Good guess on my part, hooray for the good guys!!  :)

Don't most coordinators come from the assistant ranks?  One more thing, out of this 3-8%, wonder how many are OC's?

Very true most coordinators are some type of qb, rb, db, lb, line coach, but the problem is still that until there is an increase in minority assistants, there can not be an increase in coordinators, and then an increase in minority head coaches.  Think about ten people interview for a coordinator job only two are minorities but eight are not who is more probable to get the job it is simple stats, and until they are improved don't expect much of a change

passinghog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2008, 08:28:36 pm
What are school supposed to do, keep losing coaches just because they are black?  K-state didnt win enough games, Washington is pathetic, MSU is not up to SEC snuff.  Thats why those 3 black coaches got fired/resigend.  It is not like school are firing blasck coaches after they go 10-2 or play in BCS games.  They get fired for the same reasons white coaches do. 

Check your eyes, clean your ears: No one is complaining about these coaches getting fired, they deserved it.
The debate is over why aren't more minorities interviewed and subsequently interviewed for head coaching jobs.