Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone catch Brando and Tillman on the Croom deal?

Started by Boarcephus, November 29, 2008, 04:22:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke STYwalker

And there's not enough Tards in football either.  There should be more than just HDN.  This is BS.

Temprees

November 30, 2008, 09:40:52 pm #301 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:19:59 pm by Temprees
Quote from: lovetthog1 on November 29, 2008, 07:07:09 pm
You make some great points.  Sadly, a number of people cant accept equality in this country.  They hate the idea of developing programs that might possibly lead us towards more of it in society. 

No one is advocating giving people jobs because they are black.  Only interviews.  Why cant people see the difference?
-----------------------

I think people see the difference. Mandating interviews is not the solution for what you perceive to be a problem of equality. You can interview 100 minorities and still hire the white coach. Your point is moot. In order for you to reach the goal of more black coaches you would have to mandate the actual hiring of black coaches. This would be horrible for college football. The part of our community that feels the need to push these types of agendas needs to stop pushing. Its ridiculous now imo, I see no evidence to suggest that any football program would pass on a minority head coach if they felt like they would win with him. College football is about winning or loosing , please stop making everything about race.

I agree.  Using Obama as an example.  At the outset, there were significant numbers of Americans would not consider voting for Obama because they knew nothing about him.  But after the found out about him by hearing him, seeing him, reading about him, people liked him and believed that he was the best candidate for the job.  This getting to know Obama is akin to the interview process.  So I disagree with your assessment that it, "interviews", won't make a difference, unless you mandate the hiring of black coaches.  No one mandated that anyone vote for Obama.  I hope you can see my point.  It's is hard to hire who you never consider.

Temprees

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2008, 08:28:36 pm
What are school supposed to do, keep losing coaches just because they are black?  K-state didnt win enough games, Washington is pathetic, MSU is not up to SEC snuff.  Thats why those 3 black coaches got fired/resigend.  It is not like school are firing blasck coaches after they go 10-2 or play in BCS games.  They get fired for the same reasons white coaches do. 
True, but they don't get considered for hiring the same as white coaches.  That is the problem.

FATBACKHAWG

Quote from: Temprees on November 30, 2008, 10:00:36 pm
True, but they don't get considered for hiring the same as white coaches.  That is the problem.
The three just mentioned did not produce winners!  SO what does that tell me?  Until a black/minority hire wins you will see the same thing again and again....Considering in Division I and the pros only Tony Gundgy has won.....What kind of track record is that the "hiring authorities".....and what is the name of the game?  "Just Win Baby" 

Temprees

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 30, 2008, 04:25:15 pm
The question I would ask, were either of them interested? Dungy has a job and is doing well, Green didnt do to well in his last job.

Green did well in some of his jobs in the past.  Tennessee hired Kiffin.  He did not do well in his last job.  Kiffin was 3-13 with the Raiders last year.

stronguard

Quote from: sauce on November 29, 2008, 05:18:10 pm
I think we need more white RB's and WR's.  The percentage of whites in the general population is much higher than percentage at these positions. 

Sounds kind of ridiculous when you try to make that argument.   Just as ridiculous as saying if you can run fast and catch you can coach.  Hire the best man for the job.  Quit bringing up race.

Logic on a message board...........BRILLIANT
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Temprees on November 30, 2008, 11:14:29 pm
Green did well in some of his jobs in the past.  Tennessee hired Kiffin.  He did not do well in his last job.  Kiffin was 3-13 with the Raiders last year.

I thought he did fine in Minnesota. In Arizona I dont think he got much support from ownership... as far as Kiffin goes in Tennessee we will have to wait and see.

Prince got the boot after 3 seasons, not sure if bringing back Snyder would fix anything since he flopped his last two seasons. His first four of his 19 yr career wasnt anything to crow about either, but he did well during the middle.

Apparently the recruiting was the culprit for both...one slacked off at the end and the others problem was compounded by the mess Snyder left according to what I have read.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Temprees

Quote from: bowlhogs07 on November 30, 2008, 10:17:02 pm
The three just mentioned did not produce winners!  SO what does that tell me?  Until a black/minority hire wins you will see the same thing again and again....Considering in Division I and the pros only Tony Gundgy has won.....What kind of track record is that the "hiring authorities".....and what is the name of the game?  "Just Win Baby" 

Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears) took his team to the Superbowl Bowl a couple of years ago, and the Bears are doing well this season.  Mike Tomlin (Pittsburg Steelers) is doing a great job with the Steelers this season.  I believe that the Steelers lead the league in defense.   Tomlin and Smith both got their current jobs due being granted interviews as mandated by NFL policy.  All these guys are asking for is an opportunity.  What's wrong with that. 

There are other black coaches that have done well in the NFL, but those names don't come to mind. 

Temprees

November 30, 2008, 11:29:31 pm #308 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:32:28 pm by Temprees
Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 30, 2008, 11:23:13 pm
I thought he did fine in Minnesota. In Arizona I dont think he got much support from ownership... as far as Kiffin goes in Tennessee we will have to wait and see.

Prince got the boot after 3 seasons, not sure if bringing back Snyder would fix anything since he flopped his last two seasons. His first four of his 19 yr career wasnt anything to crow about either, but he did well during the middle.

Apparently the recruiting was the culprit for both...one slacked off at the end and the others problem was compounded by the mess Snyder left according to what I have read.

Green also did well as the coach of Northwestern (Big 10), if my memory serves me correctly.  What I recall is that Northwestern had been terrible, prior to Green's arrival.  Green was also successful at Stanford (Pac 10), some years after he left Northwestern.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Temprees on November 30, 2008, 11:25:10 pm
Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears) took his team to the Superbowl Bowl a couple of years ago, and the Bears are doing well this season.  Mike Tomlin (Pittsburg Steelers) is doing a great job with the Steelers this season.  I believe that the Steelers lead the league in defense.   Tomlin and Smith both got their current jobs due being granted interviews as mandated by NFL policy.  All these guys are asking for is an opportunity.  What's wrong with that. 

There are other black coaches that have done well in the NFL, but those names don't come to mind. 

I think Mike has done a great job with Pittsburgh, Lovie can do better but he has earned it...but I will say Im all for earning what I get so long as the process is even handed.

I think all those that aspire to be at whatever level coaches should earn it...and if the interview comes to you be ready to self yourself to those seated in front of you.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Temprees on November 30, 2008, 11:29:31 pm
Green also did well as the coach of Northwestern (Big 10), if my memory serves me correctly.  What I recall is that Northwestern had been terrible, prior to Green's arrival.  Green was also successful at Stanford (Pac 10), some years after he left Northwestern.

I didnt know he was at Northwestern, Stanford yes...

Temprees

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 30, 2008, 11:35:23 pm
I didnt know he was at Northwestern, Stanford yes...

After posting, I went back and did a little research.  Green was hired at Northwestern in 1981.  Northwestern had been 1-34 in its last 35 games prior to Green's arrival.  In 1982, Green was named Coach of the Year for the job he did at Northwestern.

HawgnCorona

Hey just goes to show you never know what one can do if you dont give them a chance...certainly could hurt in that situation, right. And what better time to prove yourself, they couldnt have gotten any worse.