Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone catch Brando and Tillman on the Croom deal?

Started by Boarcephus, November 29, 2008, 04:22:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

passinghog

Quote from: rampage72501 on November 29, 2008, 09:44:50 pm
But see, you are not Tennessee - what you would do is irrelevant.

Tennessee hired the man they wanted.  You say they didn't even get the best candidate, but that's your opinion.  Someone, somewhere within the Tennessee athletic department and/or major boosters believe Kiffin is the man that will get them back to where they want to be.

Yes, AD's try to pick the best man for the job, but it's not cut and dried.  AD's have to make decisions based on things that a lot of people don't even consider.  Who we as armchair quarterbacks think are the best candidates might have something that's undesirable to an AD and the boosters who pay the bills.

Your point on Nutt is dead on.  We didn't get the best candidate for the job, we got the guy who marketed himself better than the other candidates.  As much as I despise what Nutt did to this program, we should really be upset at those who made the decision to hire him in the first place.

He got hired by the good 'ole boys network at Arkansas. That's the same problem network that is being talked about.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 29, 2008, 09:43:24 pm
I was only giving examples of qualified assistants.  Maybe they have and maybe they turned down the position or declined to interview.  However, I think we can say that an equal percentage of assistants (regardless of race) are qualified to be HC's, whether it be 10% or 20% or whatever.  If these candidates are being interviewed or given opportunities to interview, the law of averages would catch up and we would start to see more minority head coaches.  There are 119 head coaching jobs in the FBS, and roughly 1071 assistant positions (going by 9 assistants per school).  Assuming an equal percentage of black folks are as qualified as the number of white folks, why is there such a dearth of black folks in coaching positions if they are being given a fair shot?

Hawgsav while I get your logic, the problem is that with such a small number of minority candidates compared to non-minority candidates, to achieve a balance is nearly impossible until the numbers begin to come towards a workable balance of minority and non-minority assistants do not expect more than you are seeing
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

passinghog

Quote from: PorkOpine on November 29, 2008, 09:47:13 pm
Great coaching credentials, for sure.  LOL!

you're right! LOL. Having a college degree is worthless and is meaningless on a coaches resume. Silly us. We should all listen to PorkOpine and hire more idiots as coaches.

hawgsav1

Quote from: rampage72501 on November 29, 2008, 09:44:50 pm
But see, you are not Tennessee - what you would do is irrelevant.

Tennessee hired the man they wanted.  You say they didn't even get the best candidate, but that's your opinion.  Someone, somewhere within the Tennessee athletic department and/or major boosters believe Kiffin is the man that will get them back to where they want to be.

Yes, AD's try to pick the best man for the job, but it's not cut and dried.  AD's have to make decisions based on things that a lot of people don't even consider.  Who we as armchair quarterbacks think are the best candidates might have something that's undesirable to an AD and the boosters who pay the bills.

Your point on Nutt is dead on.  We didn't get the best candidate for the job, we got the guy who marketed himself better than the other candidates.  As much as I despise what Nutt did to this program, we should really be upset at those who made the decision to hire him in the first place.

What?  I'm not Tennessee?  That's ludicrous. I'm about ten times better than Tennessee ;)

But Tennessee was only one example.  My main point I was trying to make there was that connections and not necessarily coaching talent, played a big role in Kiffin getting hired. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 29, 2008, 09:51:23 pm
What?  I'm not Tennessee?  That's ludicrous. I'm about ten times better than Tennessee ;)

But Tennessee was only one example.  My main point I was trying to make there was that connections and not necessarily coaching talent, played a big role in Kiffin getting hired. 

I don't disagree with you.  Personally, I think they made a mistake, but take my opinion and a couple of bucks, and you might be able to get a cup of coffee.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: PorkOpine on November 29, 2008, 09:58:12 pm
Not just any college degree.  You got one in Kinesiology.  With any luck your student loans will be paid off by the time you retire.

what did you get a degree in?
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

BBHog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on November 29, 2008, 08:27:47 pm

Under the Obama administration, Affirmative Action will come to the coaching ranks!  Just wait and see!

See ya

Quit trying to push your agenda on everyone.  Don't be ignorant.

hoghelmet14

I have a few questions...

First let me state... I dont care what color a person is.  The best person should be hired.  I even agree that you should have more interviews and interviewing minorities is a good idea.

now to my questions:

1.  Are most head coaches former players?

2.  Are most of the really good coaches former really good players?

3.  Aren't most coaches college grauates?

4.  Aren't  most of the really good black athletes not graduates (not a bad thing, If you offered me 30 Plus million a year to skip my senior year I would too)?

5.  Remember when Nolan Richardson complained about not seeing any black reporters... he said folks that look like me..... Dont the number of graduates affect all these ratios yall have been talking about?

6.  hypothetical question..... If your black and just finished a wonderful NFL career.... say an Emmitt Smith... for example.... do you want the headaches of coaching... or do you sit on your millions and coast the rest of life.... ?

any thoughts or am I totally off base?
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

The Hog

Quote from: hoghelmet20 on November 29, 2008, 10:16:18 pm
I have a few questions...

First let me state... I dont care what color a person is.  The best person should be hired.  I even agree that you should have more interviews and interviewing minorities is a good idea.

now to my questions:

1.  Are most head coaches former players?

2.  Are most of the really good coaches former really good players?

3.  Aren't most coaches college grauates?

4.  Aren't  most of the really good black athletes not graduates (not a bad thing, If you offered me 30 Plus million a year to skip my senior year I would too)?

5.  Remember when Nolan Richardson complained about not seeing any black reporters... he said folks that look like me..... Dont the number of graduates affect all these ratios yall have been talking about?

6.  hypothetical question..... If your black and just finished a wonderful NFL career.... say an Emmitt Smith... for example.... do you want the headaches of coaching... or do you sit on your millions and coast the rest of life.... ?

any thoughts or am I totally off base?
Here is one that blows part of your questions apart.  Mike Leach.  Not all but several.
Automatic RUN!

hoghelmet14

I was just asking.... I dont have the overall x and o knowledge most of you guys do.... I have learned more about football in the last 6 months since coming here than all the rest of my life... I dont post a lot here because of my lack of techinical knowledge... I do know one thing.... I am a RAZORBACK FAN!   Go Hogs!

ps... I dont even know most of these coaches yall talke about.... I wish yall would add more info about them for folks like me.
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 29, 2008, 08:43:34 pm
NO one has slammed these schools for firing their black head coaches.  They didn't perform, they deserve to be let go.  However, 50% of players are black, 25% of assistants are black, and less than 3% of head coaches are black?  You're telling me that you see nothing wrong with that?

No I dont.  I think the schools should be allowed to hire whoever they want.  If they feel the best canidate is white, then hire him.  If they feel th best canidate is black, then hire him. 

Someone show PROOF that schools are looking at the best candidate, but deciding not to hire him simply because he is black.

One thing that I think hurts black coaching candidates is schools are afraid of what will happen if they end up having to fire him.  You think MSU is not going to catch heat over firing the only black hc in the sec?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

philobeddoe

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2008, 10:25:27 pm
No I dont.  I think the schools should be allowed to hire whoever they want.  If they feel the best canidate is white, then hire him.  If they feel th best canidate is black, then hire him. 

Someone show PROOF that schools are looking at the best candidate, but deciding not to hire him simply because he is black.

One thing that I think hurts black coaching candidates is schools are afraid of what will happen if they end up having to fire him.  You think MSU is not going to catch heat over firing the only black hc in the sec?

Hogsanity, you and I have had a difference of opinion a few times in the past, but we are in total agreement on this subject.  What you said here is another way (actually a better way) of saying the same thing I said several posts earlier. 

Major colleges will start hiring more black head coaches when more, qualified black coaches start appearing.  If they were out there, schools would find them.  Teams aren't going to hire a head coach JUST because he is qualified.  They want the best coach avalible that will agree to be their head coach. 

arkansastrack

Quote from: PorkOpine on November 29, 2008, 09:58:12 pm
Not just any college degree.  You got one in Kinesiology.  With any luck your student loans will be paid off by the time you retire.
First off, Kinesiology is the study of human movement and is technically a health professions major in the College of Education and Health Professions. There are multiple concentrations and one can go into medicine, physical therapy, athletic training, etc. or one can also go with a physical education emphasis if they desire to go into coaching.
Secondly, I majored in kinesiology in college (which included CHEM 1 & 2, ORGANIC CHEM 1 & 2, BIOCHEM, PHYSICS, 15 hours of BIOLOGY, EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY, BIOMECHANICS, CALCULUS, etc.). I finished medical school and have less than a year left in my orthopedic surgery residency and have signed a contract worth around $400K for the first year I am practicing. So it will definately take me a long time to pay off my student loans......
So try again and THINK you know what you are talking about

And concerning the black coaches how many athletes aspire to go into coaching in the collegiate ranks??

hawgsav1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2008, 10:25:27 pm

Again, the fallacy in your reasoning is assuming that coaches always hire the most qualified candidates or don't allow nepotism or other concerns to get in the way of them hiring the best coach.  There are plenty of examples of that.  Houston Nutt is a great example.  We hired him over Tommy Tuberville simply because he 'loved that helmet'.  Tennessee is another example.  THey hired him because of his coaching connections. 

NEA Boss Hog

Name one black coach that has been successful...I'm sure if they got the chances white coaches got there may be more successful coaches, but until one wins big time, the ADs are not going to take a chance. I think Gill at Buffalo has done a great job, but MSU is going to take a chance on an unproven Dooley from La Tech? Put their jobs up against each other and I don't think there is any comparison. I think Nebraska is the team that should be called racist. Gill is a hero for them, but they chose a coach that only coached there 1 year and said they hired one of their own...I hate when people use the race card, but when there is not a better representation of black coaches, we can't really tell how well they will do.

philobeddoe

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 29, 2008, 10:47:53 pm
Again, the fallacy in your reasoning is assuming that coaches always hire the most qualified candidates or don't allow nepotism or other concerns to get in the way of them hiring the best coach.  There are plenty of examples of that.  Houston Nutt is a great example.  We hired him over Tommy Tuberville simply because he 'loved that helmet'.  Tennessee is another example.  THey hired him because of his coaching connections. 

Do you think HDN may have sold himself better than Tubberville?  I can't stand him, but he is a heck of a salesman. 

The powers at Tennessee didn't hire the coach that you and I thought they should hire.  They hired the coach they themselves thought they should hire. 

I don't remember hearing about any black coaches being overlooked in either of these coaching searches.

cypert2

Quote from: HoginHeat on November 29, 2008, 08:53:11 pm
Well, I guess schools should have to interview a hispanic candidate too to be fair. What about the asians. I don't know of one asian head coach.
How many Asian players can you name? We are talking about a sport where 70% of the players are black. Not asian and not hispanic. There should be more black coaches but they simply are not given a chance. Sure, some black coaches have failed. Croom did not do well in that hotbed of college football, Starkeville, MS. So let's not give any other black coaches a chance, right. The only reason for some successful head coaches in the NFL is because they are forced to give them a chance.  Never fail to be amazed at the ignorance of some peckerwoods on this board.
Swinging on the two and the four.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 10:56:37 pm
How many Asian players can you name? We are talking about a sport where 70% of the players are black. Not asian and not hispanic. There should be more black coaches but they simply are not given a chance. Sure, some black coaches have failed. Croom did not do well in that hotbed of college football, Starkeville, MS. So let's not give any other black coaches a chance, right. The only reason for some successful head coaches in the NFL is because they are forced to give them a chance.  Never fail to be amazed at the ignorance of some peckerwoods on this board.

cypert keep missing the point

cypert2

philobeddoe

Schools hire coaches because they are qualified, not because they are a particular race.  There is a huge difference in being an head coach and being an assistant.  An assistant is responsible for one position on the field and maybe part of special teams.  The head coach is responsible for the entire team.  What I am saying is that there are not nearly as many black assistants that are qualified to be head coaches as some people believe. 

Here's what you do; look up the coaching staffs of the 119 division 1 coaches.  Write the names of all the black coaches in one column and the names of all of the white coaches in another column.  Then, in a third column, list the coaches that you would have been happy to have as the head coach of Arkansas. 

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:04:47 pm
So you think black coaches are getting a fair chance?

yes I do considering the lack of Black assistant coaches available.  quit complaining about inequality and find a plan to fix it, but that would be to easy right?

cypert2

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 29, 2008, 11:07:52 pm
yes I do considering the lack of Black assistant coaches available.  quit complaining about inequality and find a plan to fix it, but that would be to easy right?
You are missing the point. There are not many black assistant coaches because they are not given the chance to be assistant coaches. So, now they can't be head coaches because no one gives them a chance to be assistant coaches. Caught in a Catch-22 aren't they?
  I was born, raised, and still live in eastern Arkansas. I am in my mid 50's and grew up with racism and still see it every day.  This is it in just a more subtle form. But you can hardly ever change a racist's mind. Especially one that doesn't know he is a racist.

Fatmanhog

lol at this,actually the rise of hispanic players are on the rise. and i can name a few asians how about Dat Ngyuen, the lb from atm and then the cowboys, and then there is ohh Hines Ward, oh he is only half, i have heard some really dumb arguments sometimes being in an interracial marriage with little interracial kids and all and these things always get me riled up. if you are black and you are more qualified than a white, asian, hispanic, russian, whoever, then they will give you a job. please, tell me cypert would you rather have strong, oor nix, or how about Tyrone Willingham he is a great one huh. geez let the race card die already.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:18:05 pm
You are missing the point. There are not many black assistant coaches because they are not given the chance to be assistant coaches. So, now they can't be head coaches because no one gives them a chance to be assistant coaches. Caught in a Catch-22 aren't they?
  I was born, raised, and still live in eastern Arkansas. I am in my mid 50's and grew up with racism and still see it every day.  This is it in just a more subtle form. But you can hardly ever change a racist's mind. Especially one that doesn't know he is a racist.

Read my previous posts and then maybe you will understand,however, you have just made my point for me, the smaller the pool the fewer the applicants, until the pool grows larger no big fish insight.  By the way if you were inferring I am a racist I will find that completely funny!

Fatmanhog

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:18:05 pm
dude i was born in bentonville, moved to myrtle beach and then to houma,la. the only place i saw any racism is in houma and that was the worst i have seen. but my doubt is i really can not agree about the picking the black over white or whatever, i know when i hire someone i really dont care what color the skin is just how the interview goes. when i was in houma i did most of my interviews over the phone first and then i would see how that went. what about joe kines? why did he lways get passed over? was it because he was old? or white? doesnt sound right but it might to you.

I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

and isnt it funny to see more athletes retire instead of going into coaching? you have to know where im going with this one right

The Hermaphronutt

NWASooner

Notre Dame is one of the top jobs in college football.  They fired Willingham for producing average teams that got blown out in games against good teams.  His offenses weren't very good.

Now, Weis was hired because he was a reputed offensive genius.  His record is now worse than Willingham's and Notre Dame didn't even have 100 yards tonight against USC.  Will he get fired?  If not, why not considering the Willingham situation?

(It should be noted that Willingham and Bob Davie were treated in a somewhat similar fashion.  They both sucked and they were both fired.)

The original point is that minority coaching candidates are not being allowed to compete against white candidates on a level playing field.  The data is almost undeniable.)

cypert2

You guys still don't get it. There is not much of a pool because blacks aren't getting a chance to 'jump into the pool.' The only reason there are successful black coaches in the NFL is because they had to consider them. In college they don't and they won't. You peckerwoods get your head out of the sand and maybe you could see that. But that is the way racism works now. Surprised you can't see that for what it is.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 29, 2008, 04:23:08 pm
Anyone else getting tired of that fact rubbed in everyone's face every time a black coach is hired/fired?

You can put me in that catagory.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 11:29:19 pm
Notre Dame is one of the top jobs in college football.  They fired Willingham for producing average teams that got blown out in games against good teams.  His offenses weren't very good.

Now, Weis was hired because he was a reputed offensive genius.  His record is now worse than Willingham's and Notre Dame didn't even have 100 yards tonight against USC.  Will he get fired?  If not, why not considering the Willingham situation?

(It should be noted that Willingham and Bob Davie were treated in a somewhat similar fashion.  They both sucked and they were both fired.)

The original point is that minority coaching candidates are not being allowed to compete against white candidates on a level playing field.  The data is almost undeniable.)

While willingham and davie did not get the standard five years for Notre  Dame, neither had the pay scale of Wies so it is a little tougher to fire him.  Willingham could be successful somewhere else but he could not live up to the standards at Notre Dame, and UW has shown major flaws but he still can coach just maybe at a different place the same goes for Prince and Croom and I hope they get a shot if they want to and believe that they will

cypert2

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 11:29:19 pm

^                 ^                             ^                                         ^

This.

Fatmanhog

well i would have to disagree that is only my opinion and yours is your, but one poster said it right when he said the pool for minorities isnt very big, hence my above post, i will go into detail then, if the game is 70% black which is a number thrown out there by cypert i think, then that would mean only 30% other right? so if the amount of college PEOPLE wanting to coach would be onesided in that the one race didnt make it and one race did make pro then that would only a certain % to stay back and become and undergrad and go on to coaching right? in 15 years get back to this thread and see if fthe %'s are a little more compareble then now because of a poster that made the point of the black athlete and the time period they were in. is that better? and as for tyrome willingham i dont think he can win anywhere. jmo

The Hermaphronutt

BigSexyHog

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:31:53 pm
You guys still don't get it. There is not much of a pool because blacks aren't getting a chance to 'jump into the pool.' The only reason there are successful black coaches in the NFL is because they had to consider them. In college they don't and they won't. You peckerwoods get your head out of the sand and maybe you could see that. But that is the way racism works now. Surprised you can't see that for what it is.

I get it... And you know what I don't care  who is in the pool.  If I am in a position to hire a coach I will pick who I want.  I don't care if he is green, but you are sure not a heck going to tell me who I should look at before I hire a coach.  Why waste my time or others time.  If I have interest I would speak to him plain and simple if not I won't.  Are there some good black coaches in college football.  I would say yes, do some of them deserve a shot, yes.  Will some fail like Croom, yes.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Fatmanhog

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:35:16 pm
^                 ^                             ^                                         ^

This.
means nothing, what does that prove? they are giving Weiss what? how do you know he wont be fired at the end of this year? you dont and of course if he stays then that means it is because he is white right?

The Hermaphronutt

HOGLIGULA

Keep stoking the fire.  Now with that being said give me a plan to recruit more minority coaches to college football, it seems to have happened in the NFL, NBA, college basketball so why not college football? 

Fatmanhog

i dont think croom failed. he did what he could, i really think he will be a very good caoch at some school.

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 29, 2008, 11:38:40 pm
Keep stoking the fire.  Now with that being said give me a plan to recruit more minority coaches to college football, it seems to have happened in the NFL, NBA, college basketball so why not college football? 
his plan is to resort to name calling, peckerwoods? oh man.

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

how about the grambling coach? glad he never coached huh. the people that can coach will and the ones who cant teach fail. Croom will get another shot and im pretty sure it is not because he is black.

The Hermaphronutt

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: fatmanhog on November 29, 2008, 11:39:35 pm
i dont think croom failed. he did what he could, i really think he will be a very good caoch at some school.

Croom did not fail he just entered a bad situation, and for the most part improved that bad  situation, but I think he may have left a little to soon, but then again he may have thought he could not help the program more so he left, but if he wants to coach again he will be able to

cypert2

Quote from: fatmanhog on November 29, 2008, 11:38:24 pm
means nothing, what does that prove? they are giving Weiss what? how do you know he wont be fired at the end of this year? you dont and of course if he stays then that means it is because he is white right?
You grew up in Bentonville and then lived in Myrtle Beach and never saw any racism? You are either a liar or have lived too sheltered a life to be taken seriously.

NWASooner

What gets me is most of the people on this board have the attitude that a school can interview and hire whoever they want regardless of the circumstances.

Wrong.  Every single one of these schools (including Notre Dame) gets federal and/or state money.  That being the case, they're subject state and federal laws and hiring practices.

In the cases of both Notre Dame and Tennessee, there are undeniable cases of minorities either being treated differently or not getting a fair shake in interviewing processes.  This poses a problem for the NCAA.

The majority of situations across D-1 football are not race related.  There are two that you can make a case for.

At the end of the day, minorities are grossly underepresented in D-1 college football as compared to pro football, college basketball, and pro basketball.

The NCAA had better get this under control before Congress decides to start snooping around and call the Notre Dame and Tennessee AD's to testify.

Hell, I can make the case that Alabama falls under this umbrella.  Why did Shula get hired and Croom not even get an interview?  They were a net wash.

Fatmanhog

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:43:46 pm
You grew up in Bentonville and then lived in Myrtle Beach and never saw any racism? You are either a liar or have lived too sheltered a life to be taken seriously.
lol oh yeah ive been real sheltered, dude dont call me a liar and dont call me sheltered i didnt call you names and stated my opinion and never said you were wrong or anything . give me answers when i ask you questions or dont quote me to call me names so you dont have to answer

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 11:48:44 pm
What gets me is most of the people on this board have the attitude that a school can interview and hire whoever they want regardless of the circumstances.

Wrong.  Every single one of these schools (including Notre Dame) gets federal and/or state money.  That being the case, they're subject state and federal laws and hiring practices.

In the cases of both Notre Dame and Tennessee, there are undeniable cases of minorities either being treated differently or not getting a fair shake in interviewing processes.  This poses a problem for the NCAA.

The majority of situations across D-1 football are not race related.  There are two that you can make a case for.

At the end of the day, minorities are grossly underepresented in D-1 college football as compared to pro football, college basketball, and pro basketball.

The NCAA had better get this under control before Congress decides to start snooping around and call the Notre Dame and Tennessee AD's to testify.

Hell, I can make the case that Alabama falls under this umbrella.  Why did Shula get hired and Croom not even get an interview?  They were a net wash.
your right they only have to interview, not hire, either way somebody will find insulting that they received an interview because they were black, why would congress step in to make sure we insult someone? and i agree that the % is not equal, man im pissed off that there isnt women coaching the game.when will that happen. now that is someone who is underrepresented.

The Hermaphronutt

philobeddoe

There is not much of a pool because blacks aren't getting a chance to 'jump into the pool.'

Cypert, how do you know this?  Can you prove it?  I would venture to guess that you don't know for sure.  Me guessing that you don't know is the same thing as you guessing that black coaches are being looked over because of their race. 

Fatmanhog

Quote from: philobeddoe on November 29, 2008, 11:53:30 pm
Cypert, how do you know this?  Can you prove it?  I would venture to guess that you don't know for sure.  Me guessing that you don't know is the same thing as you guessing that black coaches are being looked over because of their race. 
dont forget the name calling, he does this as well to avoid answers

The Hermaphronutt

cypert2

Quote from: NWASooner on November 29, 2008, 11:48:44 pm

Sooner, I agree with you. But it looks like its just you and me. Blacks are not given as much of a chance in college football as they are in other sports. Why, I don't really know but they aren't. True there is not a big pool to choose from but it is because they aren't given a chance to be part of the pool.

hawgsav1

The argument that schools always hire the most qualified candidate available is a laughable one.  Connections are extremely important and often times schools recycle old head coaches (look at Ole Miss with HDN or David Cutcliffe at DUke and former Ole Miss coach) .  Look at Tennessee's hiring process.  They were so obsessed with Lane Kiffin's name recognition and contacts in the football world that they gave him a position.  How often do you see assistants who are relatives of coaches?  Terry and Tommy Bowden wouldn't have had the opportunities that they did had their father not been the 2nd Winningest coach of all time. 

HOGLIGULA

no one has yet to answer this

alright, the simple problem is that there are not enough minority coaches at any level.  How do you fix the problem of trying to  attract more minority assistants?

cypert2

Quote from: philobeddoe on November 29, 2008, 11:53:30 pm
So you think blacks are getting a fair shot at college coaching?

philobeddoe

Quote from: cypert2 on November 29, 2008, 11:58:37 pm
So you think blacks are getting a fair shot at college coaching?

Yes.  Now, you answer my question.