Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dennis Dodd: Tennessee is ready to make "a major spash"

Started by fu-man-soo, November 18, 2008, 01:09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 19, 2008, 10:08:57 am
No I didn't stay up late thinking of these things.  I wrote them soon after my origional post in this thread, each post has a time above it, feel free to take a look at it. . . just joshing.
Seriously, I was writting from my point of view, I am not that connected with the land of Vols and I don't claim to be.  I didn't know tat about Fowler and I guess i could have imagined fans wanting Fulmer gone.  They did go to the SECCG last year and I guess from an outsider they give the appearence of a power house that has been exposed to all this down fall just this year.  It makes sence that the fans want change, I guess i have been burried in our own craptastic coach that I haven't noticed Philly boy spiraling downward.
If a new coach does not work out, given he gets 2 or 3 years to get thing going, there will be a lynching of AD Hamilton.  I venture over to a couple of SEC schools boards plus a few out of conference schools.  It is very entertaining reading at times.  Brings back last years nightmares on the Vol network.

TheRazorbackGuy

fu-man-soo

Quote from: TLFHAWG on November 18, 2008, 03:50:28 pm
Last year when we were looking I was under the impression Coach Cowher would be looking for the North Carolina job in the near future, but with Coach Davis being happy with that position I could see Cowher taking the VOLs job if he wanted to coach again.

cower went to NC State

kcabrozaR

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 19, 2008, 01:52:00 pm
If the Vols do not get Lane Kiffin they are FOOLS
I little strong.
Lane is a coach mostly because his last name is Kiffin.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

Hog Nutt

fu-man-soo

Quote from: kcabrozaR on November 19, 2008, 03:49:26 pm
I little strong.
Lane is a coach mostly because his last name is Kiffin.

pete carroll doesnt look for talent when he picks his coordinators?

HoopS

Sure kiff is talented.  But what if someone more talented wants it?  Would they not be foolish to then take Kiffin?

The Realist

November 19, 2008, 04:40:09 pm #58 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:42:43 pm by The Realist
Quote from: fu-man-soo on November 19, 2008, 02:45:23 pm
Kelly leads, Leavitt considered
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/askgriff/2008/11/kelly_leads_leavitt_considered.html
Kelly is a smoke screen.  He has literally no shot unless it's plan E. 
By the way on your toes, you mention UT recruits looking around which means they didn't really want to be Vols as if that never happened here last year?  We lost like 6 players when Nutt left.  Chances are most of their recruits stay but like anyone in that situation a few are looking around until someone is named.  They depend on only two assistants who Hamilton has said he will try to keep. 

Hamilton is conducting their search on a level of secrecy that the CIA would be impressed with.  He admitted today he has interviewed "several" candidates yet how many have you heard about in the news?  Their rivals head guy has admitted their is tons of misinformation coming from people who usually know what's going on.  To show their level of secrecy in this, Hamilton is driving and flying commercially to predetermined locations like Atlanta to meet with candidates instead of taking the plane anywhere or having them come to Knoxville. 

Also, ESPN is getting their information from a guy named Griffin at GVX.  The guy isn't exactly a beacon of truth
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

kcabrozaR

November 19, 2008, 04:44:21 pm #59 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:06:01 pm by kcabrozaR
Quote from: fu-man-soo on November 19, 2008, 04:26:24 pm
pete carroll doesnt look for talent when he picks his coordinators?
His first real job. You don't think the good old boy network and daddy had anything to do with it?
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

fu-man-soo

Quote from: kcabrozaR on November 19, 2008, 04:44:21 pm
His first real job. You don't thing the good old boy network and daddy had anything to do with it?

i am 100% confident pete carroll isnt going to turn his recruiting and offense over to someone simply because he likes his dad.

HoopS

Some USC folks will say he shared duties with Sarkision and they were glad when he left.  Just sayin'.

For the record, I would have been happy with him. 

keithh1999

A big splash huh?? How about a coach that turned down LSU and Nebraska?? Perhaps he was waiting for the Big Orange job all along...

Now, my friends, that would be a big splash!!!   
Pig Farmers are cool.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 19, 2008, 01:52:00 pm
If the Vols do not get Lane Kiffin they are FOOLS
Why are you high on Kiffin?  I am just asking.

LRCentralTiger

Sounds like Tennessee will hire a coach between the end of November and the middle of December.  This will probably eliminate a few coaching rumors.

The Realist

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 20, 2008, 10:27:08 am
Why are you high on Kiffin?  I am just asking.
Look at the Raiders with him and without him for starters. 
The guy has the personality to recruit big time.  Their are rumors that his dad will come up be the DC because he wants to coach with his son for his last couple years coaching.  He will pull one or two assistants away from USC, maybe Ken Norton and Orgeron back as a D-line coach as a possibility.  That's pretty much a recruiting juggernaut. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

josh_sec33

Ivan Maisel is even getting into the game to poke fun at UT.

"1. Tennessee officials believe that North Carolina coach Butch Davis will be lured to Knoxville because they can increase his salary, and because UT is a football school (unlike Chapel Hill). Man, are they breathing their own exhaust. First, Tennessee is a hard job (small recruiting base; Georgia, Florida and Alabama every year). Second, they just ran off Phillip Fulmer, who is batting .743 over 16 seasons. That's not exactly a "Welcome" mat for the next guy."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=iform0813&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Yeah...pull Butch away. good luck with that one.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Corkscrew Johnson

November 20, 2008, 02:07:22 pm #67 Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:02:28 am by Corkscrew Johnson
Quote from: fu-man-soo on November 19, 2008, 05:42:02 pm
i am 100% confident pete carroll isnt going to turn his recruiting and offense over to someone simply because he likes his dad.

Yup. I don't understand how Kiffin lost favor on this board.  If I recall, we would have been delighted to land him last year.   He got fired from the Raiders because he stood up to Al Davis' bulls*t.  Al Davis, the most notorious luxury box head coach in NFL history, the man who decimates his team's chances at success by signing style over need and imposing his will on gameday strategy. 

Kiffin was a good offensive coordinator and a great recruiter at USC.  And he was the youngest head coach in NFL history.  It's pretty hard to stumble into that position.  I think UT would be lucky to land him over coordinators like Venebles or midmajor coaches like Patterson and Kelly. 

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 20, 2008, 02:07:22 pm
Yup. I don't understand how Kiffin lost favor on this board.  If I recall, we would have been delighted to land him last year.   He got fired from the Raiders because he stood up to Al Davis' bulls*t.  Al Davis, the most notorious luxury box head coach in NFL history, the man who decimates his team's chances at success but signing style over need and imposing his will on gameday strategy. 

Kiffin was a good offensive coordinator and a great recruiter at USC.  And he was the youngest head coach in NFL history.  It's pretty hard to stumble into that position.  I think UT would be lucky to land him over coordinators like Venebles or midmajor coaches like Patterson and Kelly. 
I think Davis is actually deceased and someone is carrying him around, props him up and is a ventriloquist.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 20, 2008, 02:50:47 pm
I think Davis is actually deceased and someone is carrying him around, props him up and is a ventriloquist.

weekend at al's?

The Realist

If it is Kiffin, he will most likely bring in Ed Orgeron in some defensive capacity.  Him + Ken Norton could make the SEC East recruiting brutal. 
Childs, Gregory.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: The Realist on November 21, 2008, 01:36:34 pm
If it is Kiffin, he will most likely bring in Ed Orgeron in some defensive capacity.  Him + Ken Norton could make the SEC East recruiting brutal. 
Suppose TTU gets beat by OU, do you think Leach is a real possibility with the AD wanting to announce by mid December?  Leach would not have to wait to see if he is in the NC game.

The Realist

That is the only way Leach is a possibility.  UT's only DT recruits + a few others are mid term enrollees. 
But if they do, Leach has already expressed interest through his agent but that it has to wait until after their season.  My guess is the name will come from this list. 
Kiffin
Leach
Troy Calhoun
or an NFL coach that is rarely being mentioned. 
There are some rumors about an Oregon offensive assistant coming with Kiffin and Orgeron.  Kiffin could pretty much assemble an all-star cast.
Childs, Gregory.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: BEvERage on November 18, 2008, 01:45:01 pm
nice try, but wrong.
nowhere in my last post was our ex-coach referenced. i was referring to the coaches names that surfaced in our search last year.
Quote from: BEvERage on November 18, 2008, 01:52:42 pm
and it seemed none of the suitors were good enough to marry our daughters until petrino fell into our laps
Beverage it seems to me that the dilisional fans were right. Kiffin was interested and we got Petrino..Yes we were right!

HuntingtonBeachHawg

Quote from: The Realist on November 21, 2008, 01:36:34 pm

I don't see Norton going anywhere right now.  His family---and folks---are very close and well settled.  He doesn't need the dough, to be sure. 

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: HuntingtonBeachHawg on November 21, 2008, 07:14:16 pm
I don't see Norton going anywhere right now.  His family---and folks---are very close and well settled.  He doesn't need the dough, to be sure. 
How is Huntington Beach these days?

HuntingtonBeachHawg

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 21, 2008, 09:15:15 pm
How is Huntington Beach these days?

Holding down the "Hog Outpost" here in the HB is tough work, to be sure; but, I'm happy to take the bullet for the team.  :)   

94 Hawg

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11144725/2

Kiffin said he planned to recruit nationally, much as he did at USC, and wanted to "put a fence around the state of Tennessee" to keep recruits from going elsewhere.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

dr_arkansawyer

We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA