Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dennis Dodd: Tennessee is ready to make "a major spash"

Started by fu-man-soo, November 18, 2008, 01:09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Monk-N-Dunk

LRCentralTiger

It is easier to name those that have not been mentioned as viable candidates than those who are.  I think every coach in the coutry has been mentioned.

OnYourToes

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on November 18, 2008, 01:12:46 pm
One poster swears its Bill Billechick (sp?).  Lol.

My, how far Vol fans have fallen. . .
Sad, kind of.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

cdhogfan

BEvERage

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 18, 2008, 01:19:10 pm
My, how far Vol fans have fallen. . .
Sad, kind of.

are you saying that their delusions of grandeur are greater than ours were last year?

RunnerHog

Quote from: BEvERage on November 18, 2008, 01:22:37 pm
are you saying that their delusions of grandeur are greater than ours were last year?

Hugger alert

RazorChuck

Theres probably alot of swearing going on at UT nowadays >:(

10thPlanet

Everyone discussed here last year was either interviewed or wanted the job at some point and time.

ALLVOL

One would think that a guy who writes for a living would proof his work before posting it. By the way guys, what exactly is a "Spash"?

Monk-N-Dunk

Quote from: cdhogfan on November 18, 2008, 01:20:28 pm
Could you not tell that he was joking?
I think you could see it both ways.  The smart person would say he was joking, but when your dealing with Tennesse you honestly just never know.

OnYourToes

No, I am not speaking to the coaching search alone, but to the program/fan base as a whole.  First, Fulmer "steps down" pulls a Nutt.  Second, they lose to Wyoming.  Thrid, commited recruits look elsewhere for official visits, proving that they didn't want to be Volunteers in the first place.  Now the coaching search is on and people are throwing out names like Belicheck and Gruden. 

Last year we were extatic to be rid of the Nutt and our recruiting class only got better with the addiditon of Coach Petrino.  Last year was not a delusion for us at any stage in the process.  Muschamp, Butch, Grobe, Bowden, TT and any number of potiential coaches were viable candidates.

Tenn's fall has seemed to happen in the span of 3 weeks.  Ours started with Gus leaving, then Mitch then Frank and finally Nutters.  It was gradual.  I was only stating that the once proud, NC type program is all of a sudden grasping at making a splash to save money and recruits.   
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

BEvERage

Quote from: RunnerHog on November 18, 2008, 01:23:41 pm
Hugger alert

nice try, but wrong.
nowhere in my last post was our ex-coach referenced. i was referring to the coaches names that surfaced in our search last year.

OTTER

Since I can't stand anything that wears orange and the name starts with a "T", I hope they end up having to offer someone like Sheworst!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

BEvERage

Quote from: dkwvike on November 18, 2008, 01:27:37 pm
Everyone discussed here last year was either interviewed or wanted the job at some point and time.

and it seemed none of the suitors were good enough to marry our daughters until petrino fell into our laps

WilsonHog

November 18, 2008, 01:53:46 pm #16 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:55:42 pm by WilsonHog
Tennessee has to make a big splash, for two reasons;

(1) They fired Phil Fulmer, who has won a football game or two.

(2) They're in the SEC.

Tennessee sees itself (and rightly so) as a major player in the SEC. If they want to compete with Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, and Tommy Tubervlle, it is pretty much incumbent on the AD to go out and hire someone who will be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

I'm not sure who I would go after, but I would make it plain on the front end that money would be no object. I might not get my first choice, but it absolutely would not be because I got outbid for his services.

Boardon Hamsay

I am wondering when this "major splash" will be announced?  To me, that would give us a better idea of who the Vols define as a "major splash".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 18, 2008, 01:53:46 pm
Tennessee has to make a big splash, for two reasons;

(1) They fired Phil Fulmer, who has won a football game or two.

(2) They're in the SEC.

Tennessee sees itself (and rightly so) as a major player in the SEC. If they want to compete with Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, and Tommy Tubervlle, it is pretty much incumbent on the AD to go out and hire someone who will be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

I'm not sure who I would go after, but I would make it plain on the front end that money would be no object. I might not get my first choice, but it absolutely would not be because I got outbid for his services.

I like it when you weigh in on a topic.  Tennessee expects to compete at the top level of the SEC every year.  Not just now and then.  Those are lofty goals and that will require a coach that wants to tackle that giant task and beat the best coaches in the game every year.

The numbers thrown around on the Tennessee boards will be between 2 and 3 million a year for a coach.  If those are true, that will eliminate several candidates.  I find it hard to believe Tennessee would not pay a big price for a top notch coach and recruiter.

Hogbody

I think the person that gave him the info probably mean to put "mid-Major splash" ;)

alwaysondbigscreen

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 18, 2008, 01:34:10 pm
One would think that a guy who writes for a living would proof his work before posting it. By the way guys, what exactly is a "Spash"?
its kinda like spish, like the song
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

TLFHAWG

With the big talk of Coach Spurrier retiring, could this be the start of a smoke screen for him taking the VOLs job.  That would be a splash.

kcabrozaR

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 18, 2008, 01:34:10 pm
Here is the Spash web page
http://www.wisp.k12.wi.us/education/school/school.php?sectiondetailid=273
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

HoopS

Look only one year ago.   Nutt had that OM gig lined up well before he, uh, resigned. 

Spurrier at Tenn would be odd, though.

GolfnHog

Quote from: TLFHAWG on November 18, 2008, 02:24:21 pm
With the big talk of Coach Spurrier retiring, could this be the start of a smoke screen for him taking the VOLs job.  That would be a splash.

Maybe, maybe not.... Spurrier being 60+ years of age, I wonder does he still have fuel in the tank to turn it around in the manner that will be expected from the folks in TN. He's done a decent job at SC, but certainly not to the extent that he was able to do at FL. I just think golf and family are more likely than rebuilding another program.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

GBoling5000

The only way Tennessee makes a big splash is to push Fulmer into a body of water.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Hogbody on November 18, 2008, 02:06:08 pm
I think the person that gave him the info probably mean to put "mid-Major splash" ;)

I smell what you're stepping in.  ;)  A "major splash" to a Vol booster/insider could be anyone from David Cutcliff to Bill Cowher.  It based on one person's quote.  I'm sure some Syracuse folks thought Robinson was a "major splash" when he turned out to be a "walking sinkhole".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

TLFHAWG

Quote from: TxRzrbak on November 18, 2008, 02:41:16 pm
Maybe, maybe not.... Spurrier being 60+ years of age, I wonder does he still have fuel in the tank to turn it around in the manner that will be expected from the folks in TN. He's done a decent job at SC, but certainly not to the extent that he was able to do at FL. I just think golf and family are more likely than rebuilding another program.
Well put

HamShank

Look, I never could've predicted that we would've gotten BP.  I never believed it no matter how many times people on here said it.  Who knows?  Maybe they will make a splash that we can't predict.  Don't you think Vols fans were laughing at us last year saying we would get Petrino?

The Lemming

Quote from: GBoling5000 on November 18, 2008, 02:50:58 pm
The only way Tennessee makes a big splash is to push Fulmer into a body of water.
Bwaaahaaahaa!

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: TxRzrbak on November 18, 2008, 02:41:16 pm
Visor boy made a comment that if the offer had been made five years ago he would have taken it.  He will retire at the roosters nest.

TLFHAWG

I'm glad we have this behind us.  Last year I was a basket case.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: TLFHAWG on November 18, 2008, 03:22:31 pm
I'm glad we have this behind us.  Last year I was a basket case.
Tell me about it.  It was great to see Nutt depart but the suspense and all the talk of all the coaches was tiring.

AckaBacka

I made a couple of major splashes after lunch today.  This article tells me nothing. 

Razorback Jedi

Big splashes don't always mean total awesomeness, as it seems that Dodd is suggesting.

utsucks

I can't believe you guys haven't caught onto Dennis yet.  He obviously means Mark Mangino - that dude with make a tsunami like splash!  ;D

TLFHAWG

Quote from: AckaBacka on November 18, 2008, 03:29:42 pm
I made a couple of major splashes after lunch today.  This article tells me nothing. 
That's funny

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TLFHAWG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 18, 2008, 03:42:27 pm
Bill  would be a BIG SPLASH!
Last year when we were looking I was under the impression Coach Cowher would be looking for the North Carolina job in the near future, but with Coach Davis being happy with that position I could see Cowher taking the VOLs job if he wanted to coach again.

ALLVOL

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 18, 2008, 03:18:51 pm
Visor boy made a comment that if the offer had been made five years ago he would have taken it.  He will retire at the roosters nest.
There is a better chance that Obama puts Rush Limbaugh on his cabinet than Spurrier being offered the job at Tennessee. It just isnt going to happen. He is the one for sure NO WAY out there.

ALLVOL

Just heard Broyles might be interested in the TN job.  Trying to see if Darrell Royal and Barry Switzer would assist.  Also extending an olive branch to Jimmy Johnson to see if he would come on board.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 18, 2008, 01:37:14 pm
No, I am not speaking to the coaching search alone, but to the program/fan base as a whole.  First, Fulmer "steps down" pulls a Nutt.  Second, they lose to Wyoming.  Thrid, commited recruits look elsewhere for official visits, proving that they didn't want to be Volunteers in the first place.  Now the coaching search is on and people are throwing out names like Belicheck and Gruden. 

Last year we were extatic to be rid of the Nutt and our recruiting class only got better with the addiditon of Coach Petrino.  Last year was not a delusion for us at any stage in the process.  Muschamp, Butch, Grobe, Bowden, TT and any number of potiential coaches were viable candidates.

Tenn's fall has seemed to happen in the span of 3 weeks.  Ours started with Gus leaving, then Mitch then Frank and finally Nutters.  It was gradual.  I was only stating that the once proud, NC type program is all of a sudden grasping at making a splash to save money and recruits.   
hmm but to infer that the Arkansas job is/ was more desireable than the Tennessee job is  laughable

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 18, 2008, 01:37:14 pm

Do you stay up late at night to think this stuff up?  Tennessee fall gained momentum with the 5 win/6 loss season when many fans were calling for Fulmer's head.  He made a comeback only to get hit again this year and it stuck.  Some fans will go back as far as 2000 in calling for Fulmer to exit.  Not all but ESPN made a point to mention Fulmer's problem after the "trailer park" comment by Chris Fowler put them in a bad spot as inappropriate.  Fowler dispises Fulmer and he takes every chance he can to shoot Fulmer.  I am not defending Fulmer in any way but the "fire Phile' folks have been out there for several years.  It is not a Johnny Come Lately event.

ALLVOL

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 19, 2008, 09:21:42 am
Do you stay up late at night to think this stuff up?  Tennessee fall gained momentum with the 5 win/6 loss season when many fans were calling for Fulmer's head.  He made a comeback only to get hit again this year and it stuck.  Some fans will go back as far as 2000 in calling for Fulmer to exit.  Not all but ESPN made a point to mention Fulmer's problem after the "trailer park" comment by Chris Fowler put them in a bad spot as inappropriate.  Fowler dispises Fulmer and he takes every chance he can to shoot Fulmer.  I am not defending Fulmer in any way but the "fire Phile' folks have been out there for several years.  It is not a Johnny Come Lately event.

You are correct.

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

psooie

HA...maybe your right about stay puff coach going orange:

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/manginoorange.jpg

if you can win at kansas, the vols job should be easy...doughnut shops in knoxville will be happy

OnYourToes

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 19, 2008, 09:21:42 am

No I didn't stay up late thinking of these things.  I wrote them soon after my origional post in this thread, each post has a time above it, feel free to take a look at it. . . just joshing.
Seriously, I was writting from my point of view, I am not that connected with the land of Vols and I don't claim to be.  I didn't know tat about Fowler and I guess i could have imagined fans wanting Fulmer gone.  They did go to the SECCG last year and I guess from an outsider they give the appearence of a power house that has been exposed to all this down fall just this year.  It makes sence that the fans want change, I guess i have been burried in our own craptastic coach that I haven't noticed Philly boy spiraling downward.

You sir are a genius!

Hog in MO

Quote from: TLFHAWG on November 18, 2008, 02:24:21 pm

I don't really see Spurrier as a big splash hire anymore. He seems to be on the verge of burnout.  You can tell that from what he's done in Columbia - they've been pretty mediocre under his watch.  I have to think the OBC is dreaming of Augusta, not Knoxville.