Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jocks that have picked up and left

Started by kingoftherapids, February 16, 2018, 10:52:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kingoftherapids

Edwin Maldonado, Deshawn Parker, Mike Luzzi & Eddie Perez

HawgWild

Can't take the cold or the competition? Can't be because of purses.

Russ22

Quote from: kingoftherapids on February 16, 2018, 10:52:02 am
Edwin Maldonado, Deshawn Parker, Mike Luzzi & Eddie Perez
Were they not getting enough mounts to pay the light bill? I don't recall seeing these names an awful lot over the first month of racing.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

heavylifting

I see where Parker has moved to Turfway, where the purses are much lower than at Oaklawn. He won 3 races there last Friday.

Some guys are more comfortable dominating in a smaller pond. Russell Baze is probably the best recent example. He'd be a low top 10 in SoCal, but always # 1 in the Bay Area.

Other riders that come to mind who've always put up big numbers on smaller circuits are Perry Ouzts and Terry Houghton. Was true also of Wayne Catalano, who ruled in Michigan during his riding days; not sure if he ever really branched out to a bigger circuit. Scott Stevens, Gary's brother, still riding Turf Paradise for pennies in the winter.

Not sure why Maldonado (who was winning some races) or Luzzi would leave. There's nothing for Luzzi back in New York; Aqueduct had a bunch of 5-horse races there yesterday.

As for Eddie Perez, Hawthorne opens in the near future, so he probably returned to Chicago to begin getting on horses in the morning for prospective customers.

Some of these guys have other problems that catch up with them, which is why they leave one circuit for another, hoping for a clean start. Look at Norberto Arroyo -- did OK in his one year at Oaklawn, went to SoCal, did pretty well, and now . . . ?  He's had his problems going back to when he was an apprentice. I'm not sure he's even riding anymore.

userpick

Parker belongs at Mountaineer and Turfway. Two tracks very its advantageous to be wide. That's all he knows.

OaklawnCapper

Quote from: heavylifting on February 16, 2018, 11:15:09 am
I see where Parker has moved to Turfway, where the purses are much lower than at Oaklawn. He won 3 races there last Friday.

Some guys are more comfortable dominating in a smaller pond. Russell Baze is probably the best recent example. He'd be a low top 10 in SoCal, but always # 1 in the Bay Area.

Other riders that come to mind who've always put up big numbers on smaller circuits are Perry Ouzts and Terry Houghton. Was true also of Wayne Catalano, who ruled in Michigan during his riding days; not sure if he ever really branched out to a bigger circuit. Scott Stevens, Gary's brother, still riding Turf Paradise for pennies in the winter.

Not sure why Maldonado (who was winning some races) or Luzzi would leave. There's nothing for Luzzi back in New York; Aqueduct had a bunch of 5-horse races there yesterday.

As for Eddie Perez, Hawthorne opens in the near future, so he probably returned to Chicago to begin getting on horses in the morning for prospective customers.

Some of these guys have other problems that catch up with them, which is why they leave one circuit for another, hoping for a clean start. Look at Norberto Arroyo -- did OK in his one year at Oaklawn, went to SoCal, did pretty well, and now . . . ?  He's had his problems going back to when he was an apprentice. I'm not sure he's even riding anymore.

Noberto Arroyo hasn't had a start since 11/19/17 at Del Mar searched for some articles and came up with nothing.

Mike Luzzi hasn't had a start since 2/4 at Oaklawn.  Not sure if he would go back to NY or join his son Lane down at Sam Houston.