Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Think.... What if...

Started by DLUXHOG, September 05, 2014, 06:11:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

Close your eyes...... You are out on a flat bottom boat on the White River (or an Ozark river of your choice) with a friend or two...

It is 10:30 at night, the fish aren't biting, but you hear the whippoorwills call ,the katydids crack, and the tree & bull frogs croak....   

It is a crisp evening and you can smell the wood burning fireplaces from afar.   You are not thinking about the issues and problems of your life or the world, rather you are simply enjoying the peaceful solace of this one event....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

twistitup

That's my type of trip - the calmness of night and relaxation of being on the water

Nothing better
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 05, 2014, 06:11:47 pm
Close your eyes...... You are out on a flat bottom boat on the White River (or an Ozark river of your choice) with a friend or two...

It is 10:30 at night, the fish aren't biting, but you hear the whippoorwills call ,the katydids crack, and the tree & bull frogs croak....   

It is a crisp evening and you can smell the wood burning fireplaces from afar.   You are not thinking about the issues and problems of your life or the world, rather you are simply enjoying the peaceful solace of this one event....

And you take a moment to thank the Lord for a few moments of peace and know that all will be okay with His blessing.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

tophawg19

Agreed Wayne . add the slap on the water as a bass jumps and the splash of deer drinking
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

grayhawg

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 05, 2014, 08:50:32 pm
And you take a moment to thank the Lord for a few moments of peace and know that all will be okay with His blessing.
Amen to that.

kodiakisland

I love being on an isolated lake up north and listening to the loons at sunset.  That sound echoing off the lake is the most relaxing sound I've ever heard.  Frogs at night are pretty special too.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogBreath

Then you hear loud, splashing sounds, smell a horrible odor, and come to the sad realization...the Fouke monster is in your boat!!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DLUXHOG

Forgot the cooler of beer.... sorry guys...

HogBreath

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 07, 2014, 12:33:41 am
Forgot the cooler of beer.... sorry guys...
If BigFoot is showing up...you better have some of those Jack Link jerky snacks handy too!  That rascal would be hard to handle if he was drunk and hungry.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Torqued pork

I've never understood why some have no appreciation for the woods and the water.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

1highhog

Catching Bullfrogs by hand with my brothers is still a time honored tradition, and it's been going on now for almost 44 years.  My Dad used to go with us but he's now 82 and quit going out with us about 5 years ago.  The only thing that still adds a little adventure is the occasional cottonmouth that can be hunting the same frog or trying to get in the boat with us.

HogScoutMaster

This is how my weekend is going to go.

You know I come and go all week!!! One weekend a month I get to spend a weekend in the woods.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

pigture perfect

September 08, 2014, 02:07:58 pm #13 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:42:11 am by pigture perfect
Sounds absolutely perfect. Don't need the beer. Just the sounds of nature is intoxicating enough.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 07, 2014, 08:15:50 pm

I've never understood why some have no appreciation for the woods and the water.

Yep.  & the older I get, the more appreciation I have for just being out there in the woods, or on a lake.  Nothing compares to those quiet times & scenes.  Love the late evening best, whether fishing or hunting.  Something magical about that time of day.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 08, 2014, 05:01:46 pm
Yep.  & the older I get, the more appreciation I have for just being out there in the woods, or on a lake.  Nothing compares to those quiet times & scenes.  Love the late evening best, whether fishing or hunting.  Something magical about that time of day.

I still remember so vividly... 30 years+ ago, sitting in a boat on Table Rock Lake >10:30 PM at night, fishing for bass, hearing nothing but he whippoorwills calls and bullfrogs croaking..........   Nirvana! 

arkmark

About 11 years ago built a home on the White where it joins with Table Rock.  Spent many, many evenings sitting on the deck with a cold one watching the stars and always had a whippoorwill or two to listen to.  A little piece of heaven.

Last 5 or 6 years we have not heard one whippoorwill.  We wonder why.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: arkmark on September 08, 2014, 08:15:38 pm

About 11 years ago built a home on the White where it joins with Table Rock.  Spent many, many evenings sitting on the deck with a cold one watching the stars and always had a whippoorwill or two to listen to.  A little piece of heaven.

Last 5 or 6 years we have not heard one whippoorwill.  We wonder why.

Used to love to hear the whip-poor-will & owls at night in the summer.  When I was a teenager, could hear them nearly every night in the summer when my bedroom window was open.  Something about those sounds, that was just so peaceful & relaxing.  Every once in a while, an owl would wake me up.... when it started hooting in a tree right by my window.  No problem, right back to sleep.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LSUFan

This is what I taught my boys, because my dad taught me.

My oldest told me last weekend, "I'm gonna take my kids outdoors and do stuff with them dad."

Turn over a few old rotten logs with your kids, catch a water snake and when your kids see him bite you and you don't flinch, you'll be a badass in their little eyes.

THIS and my boys will be what I miss when I die, THIS is what matters!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

LSUFan

The best day I EVER had on a deer stand was when me and my boys sat there, told jokes, laughed our asses off, and scared every deer within 20 miles away!

DLUXHOG

September 09, 2014, 12:51:48 am #20 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:42:21 am by DLUXHOG
Quote from: LSUFan on September 09, 2014, 12:43:53 am
The best day I EVER had on a deer stand was when me and my boys sat there, told jokes, laughed our asses off, and scared every deer within 20 miles away!

Some of my best moments occurred while deer hunting...   I specifically recall sitting on the side above a hollow ("holler" for some of you), under a giant Hickory tree in the Ozarks....   Sat there for hours.... Saw a buck, several does, and a few fawns pass right under me at the bottom of the hollow.     Don't think I've ever seen anything as beautiful....   Also saw quite a few squirrel, rabbits, & coons crawling around on the hillside....   Nope, I didn't shoot anything, just sat very still enjoying God's beauty and quietly sipping on a thermos of black coffee in crisp, cool morning.......

LSUFan

Your children will tell you things while on a deer stand or while fishing that they normally wouldn't.

Thanks for bringing me back in time, D.

TOTY,maybe ever.

"It ain't about fishin"

DLUXHOG

Simply put, there are no problems (personal or worldly) at all, when you are truly partaking and blending in with God's quiet and peaceful creation........