Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying a new gun

Started by Junkyard Hog, May 27, 2014, 08:35:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkyard Hog

I bought (ordered) a new gun two weeks ago from Bass Pro in Grapevine.  It was no big deal.  He took my license, swiped it, and ran my credit card.  It came in fairly quick but I was unable to pick it up until yesterday.

When I got to the store I had to do an online background check.  No problems there, everything came back clean.  As he was about to give my gun to me he asked to see my driver's license again just to put me in the "bass pro" system to receive mail outs and such.  As he was entering it I mentioned I no longer live at the address on my license.  I moved several months back and haven't gotten it updated.  He then said he couldn't give me the gun.  He said I had to have a government issued ID with my picture and my current address on it.

I explained this is the same license I purchased the gun with.  He said they could sell it, they just couldn't release it.  Also, they aren't required to ask if the address is current, nor are they required to verify any address but if a person tells them the address is not correct they can't give them the gun.

I used my current address and social security card number during the online background check.  I had my social security card with me (but he explained it had to have a picture on it).  I had other forms of identification as well.  For all intents and purposes, they were able to determine that I was who I said I was and I was able to own a gun, but because I mentioned I now lived at a different location they could not give me my gun.  I mean, what's more important?  I think my social security number is more important than where I sleep at night.

He said there would be no problem if I didn't mention I moved.  I explained I live 3 hours away and that I couldn't just "go get" a new license.  He (and his manager) said their hands were tied so I told him I didn't want the gun and I wanted my money back.  No problems there.

My wife then asked to purchase a rifle.  Her license has been updated.  They said they could not sell her a rifle because it would be a straw purchase.

Who are these laws protecting???????????????????????????????????????

DeWayne R

The commies in Washington!!!
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

Wayne Watson

I feel your pain but they followed the law to the letter.

Never offer any information that they do not ask for.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Wayne Watson on May 27, 2014, 01:26:30 pm
I feel your pain but they followed the law to the letter.

Never offer any information that they do not ask for.

I understand they did what they had to.  I just don't understand what the point is of the law if they don't have to ask or verify any information.  They could've also asked me if the info was correct when I ordered the gun.  If they did that, I could've gotten in taken care of during the two weeks I waited to pick it up.

But you're right.  I won't be saying anything in addition next time.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on May 27, 2014, 02:12:30 pm
I understand they did what they had to.  I just don't understand what the point is of the law if they don't have to ask or verify any information.  They could've also asked me if the info was correct when I ordered the gun.  If they did that, I could've gotten in taken care of during the two weeks I waited to pick it up.

But you're right.  I won't be saying anything in addition next time.

To deny the sale of a rifle to your wife on their suspicion that it's a "straw purchase" is highly offensive. There is both a presumption that your wife intends to evade the law and that she couldn't possibly want a rifle for herself because she is a woman.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 27, 2014, 03:24:15 pm

To deny the sale of a rifle to your wife on their suspicion that it's a "straw purchase" is highly offensive. There is both a presumption that your wife intends to evade the law and that she couldn't possibly want a rifle for herself because she is a woman.

Yeah, I felt like we could've pursued that a little more but the salesperson and manager were being so rude to us I decided I didn't want to do business with them anyway.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on May 27, 2014, 03:31:16 pm
Yeah, I felt like we could've pursued that a little more but the salesperson and manager were being so rude to us I decided I didn't want to do business with them anyway.

It wouldn't even be a straw purchase, anyway. Because y'all are husband and wife and reside together it's property in common. I suppose when I purchased firearms for my minor sons for birthday and Christmas gifts, like my dad and granddad before me, those were also straw purchases.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

rickm1976

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 27, 2014, 03:44:08 pm
It wouldn't even be a straw purchase, anyway. Because y'all are husband and wife and reside together it's property in common. I suppose when I purchased firearms for my minor sons for birthday and Christmas gifts, like my dad and granddad before me, those were also straw purchases.

Yes, they were all straw purchases, and were technically illegal.  Before last Christmas, I looked all over for a Marlin M60 .22 as a present for my grandson.  The only place I found one was at Walmart (only a last resort).  I went to purchase the rifle and casually mentioned that it was a Christmas present for my grandson, and the girl behind the counter told me that technically she wasn't supposed to sell it to me because that constituted a straw purchase.  Luckily, she was a level headed person, and said she would just pretend she didn't hear me say that.  She admitted it was a ridiculous law that would do nothing to stop those who wanted to obtain a firearm illegally.

1highhog

May 27, 2014, 05:14:47 pm #8 Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:23:55 pm by 1highhog
Never offer anymore information than just what's required, in other words, avoid the small talk.  I buy all of my guns through a way that none are in my name.  And I buy new guns, as well as hitting the newspapers for used ones as well as other online guns sites that sell.  I don't like the hassle of all the paperwork, especially when crooks don't go that route.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: rickm1976 on May 27, 2014, 04:57:37 pm
Yes, they were all straw purchases, and were technically illegal.  Before last Christmas, I looked all over for a Marlin M60 .22 as a present for my grandson.  The only place I found one was at Walmart (only a last resort).  I went to purchase the rifle and casually mentioned that it was a Christmas present for my grandson, and the girl behind the counter told me that technically she wasn't supposed to sell it to me because that constituted a straw purchase.  Luckily, she was a level headed person, and said she would just pretend she didn't hear me say that.  She admitted it was a ridiculous law that would do nothing to stop those who wanted to obtain a firearm illegally.

You are correct.
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on May 27, 2014, 08:35:10 am
I bought (ordered) a new gun two weeks ago from Bass Pro in Grapevine.  It was no big deal.  He took my license, swiped it, and ran my credit card.  It came in fairly quick but I was unable to pick it up until yesterday.

When I got to the store I had to do an online background check.  No problems there, everything came back clean.  As he was about to give my gun to me he asked to see my driver's license again just to put me in the "bass pro" system to receive mail outs and such.  As he was entering it I mentioned I no longer live at the address on my license.  I moved several months back and haven't gotten it updated.  He then said he couldn't give me the gun.  He said I had to have a government issued ID with my picture and my current address on it.

I explained this is the same license I purchased the gun with.  He said they could sell it, they just couldn't release it.  Also, they aren't required to ask if the address is current nor are they required to verify any address but if a person tells them the address is not correct they can't give them the gun.

I used my current address and social security card number during the online background check.  I had my social security card with me (but he explained it had to have a picture on it).  I had other forms of identification as well.  For all intents and purposes, they were able to determine that I was who I said I was and I was able to own a gun, but because I mentioned I now lived at a different location they could not give me my gun.  I mean, what's more important?  I think my social security number is more important than where I sleep at night.

He said there would be no problem if I didn't mention I moved.  I explained I live 3 hours away and that I couldn't just "go get" a new license.  He (and his manager) said their hands were tied so I told him I didn't want the gun and I wanted my money back.  No problems there.

My wife then asked to purchase a rifle.  Her license has been updated.  They said they could not sell her a rifle because it would be a straw purchase.

Who are these laws protecting???????????????????????????????????????

Strange?  I have several friends that work at different Academy stores.  They are required to ask if that is your current address.  I have been standing at the counter multiple times during a purchase & heard different clerks asking that very question.  It is usually one of the first questions they ask you.  If the customer tells them that is not the current address....they also, are not allowed to sell the firearm.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on May 27, 2014, 07:36:26 pm
Strange?  I have several friends that work at different Academy stores.  They are required to ask if that is your current address.  I have been standing at the counter multiple times during a purchase & heard different clerks asking that very question.  It is usually one of the first questions they ask you.  If the customer tells them that is not the current address....they also, are not allowed to sell the firearm.

I bought a shotgun from Academy in Rogers in January and no one asked me if the address on my DL was correct.
We don't rent pigs

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on May 27, 2014, 07:36:26 pm

Yes, I thought it was very strange as well.  And I still don't understand the point.  If you lie, no problem.  If you tell the truth, problem.  The only people that'll catch are the honest guys.

Rzbakfromwaybak

May 27, 2014, 11:43:25 pm #13 Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:59:30 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Wayne Watson on May 27, 2014, 07:48:47 pm

I bought a shotgun from Academy in Rogers in January and no one asked me if the address on my DL was correct.

That doesn't surprise me.  Some of the employees that I know, that have transferred from one store to another,  have said that all of the stores don't use the exact same procedures.  You would think that as big as Academy is, they would have the same procedures at all stores for selling something like firearms that have federal regulations.  Sounds like they all need to get on the same page, & find out the real answer on whether this particular question/answer, is required or not.  I thought it was required. About a month ago, I saw a man get turned down for a gun sale for an incorrect/not current address.....while I was looking at binoculars at the Academy gun counter.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Technically a Straw purchase is Legal person buying a gun for a Felon or other non eligible person.  Not for gifts and such.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 28, 2014, 11:18:36 am
Technically a Straw purchase is Legal person buying a gun for a Felon or other non eligible person.  Not for gifts and such.

Well, I figured the same thing, but apparently if the seller has knowledge that you are purchasing the firearm for someone else (whether they can legally own one or not), then they can't legally sell it to you.  It's stupid, but it's the law.

kodiakisland

You can legally buy a gun and give it as a gift.  It is not a straw purchase.  A straw purchase is buying a gun for some one who can not legally buy one themselves.  When giving any gift, are you not the person buying it, whatever it is?  Call your local ATF if you don't believe it.  As long as it is legal for the person to receive the gun, you can buy it and give it as a gift.  Of course, you also have to follow state and local laws.  Some places don't allow transfer of guns as gifts without paperwork being done, but that is not on the Federal level. 

To make matters simple though, do not volunteer this info at the gun counter.  People working there are as  misinformed as people here.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Albert Einswine

Quote from: kodiakisland on May 28, 2014, 06:19:58 pm
You can legally buy a gun and give it as a gift.  It is not a straw purchase.  A straw purchase is buying a gun for some one who can not legally buy one themselves.  When giving any gift, are you not the person buying it, whatever it is?  Call your local ATF if you don't believe it.  As long as it is legal for the person to receive the gun, you can buy it and give it as a gift.  Of course, you also have to follow state and local laws.  Some places don't allow transfer of guns as gifts without paperwork being done, but that is not on the Federal level. 

To make matters simple though, do not volunteer this info at the gun counter.  People working there are as  misinformed as people here.

Bought my son a 7mm-08 at Gander Mtn for Christmas when he was 14, was matter of fact about it with the salesman at the gun counter. It was not a problem.

kodiakisland

Nope.  Not a problem.  Perfectly legal.  You can buy and give as a gift guns to minors as well.  Of course, state and local laws must be followed.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

rickm1976

Quote from: kodiakisland on May 28, 2014, 06:34:35 pm
Nope.  Not a problem.  Perfectly legal.  You can buy and give as a gift guns to minors as well.  Of course, state and local laws must be followed.

Well, then someone needs to let the idiots at Walmart know, because apparently they are telling their employees that it's illegal even if it's a gift for someone who can legally own a gun.  They almost didn't sell me one when I mentioned it was a gift, and the clerk told me that was according to the ATF.  She said she would pretend she didn't hear what I said and sold it to me anyway, but insisted that they were instructed that any purchase for anyone else is considered a straw purchase.  It figures when you're talking about Walmart.  Academy is just as bad.  They ran an instant background check on a friend of mine even after he presented his CCL.  He refused to buy the gun and walked out.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: rickm1976 on May 29, 2014, 02:39:28 am
Academy is just as bad.  They ran an instant background check on a friend of mine even after he presented his CCL.  He refused to buy the gun and walked out.

That's your friend's fault.  They must run a check on everyone at the time of the purchase...regardless of his having his CCL.  The CCL does not exempt anyone from being checked when purchasing a firearm.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

We got tons of ill informed folks working Gun Counters at Academy , Walmart, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain and don't forget Dicks.  I had to stop a sells guy from selling the wrong High Power Rifle ammo to a lady.  30-06 wont take 300 win mag.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

kodiakisland

Quote from: rickm1976 on May 29, 2014, 02:39:28 am
Well, then someone needs to let the idiots at Walmart know, because apparently they are telling their employees that it's illegal even if it's a gift for someone who can legally own a gun.  They almost didn't sell me one when I mentioned it was a gift, and the clerk told me that was according to the ATF.  She said she would pretend she didn't hear what I said and sold it to me anyway, but insisted that they were instructed that any purchase for anyone else is considered a straw purchase.  It figures when you're talking about Walmart.  Academy is just as bad.  They ran an instant background check on a friend of mine even after he presented his CCL.  He refused to buy the gun and walked out.

Just realize who it is that's helping you in most stores like that.  Someone making close to minimum wage who has been given information from someone else who doesn't know.  There is no Federal law against buying and giving a gun as a gift except to people who can't legally possess firearms.  Buying a gun for someone as a gift is different than buying a gun for someone because they can't buy it themselves.  The ATF even says buying guns and giving as gifts to minors is legal.

The problem is following various state and local laws.  I would imagine gifting a gun is harder in CA, NY, NJ, Chicago, etc.  There are also issues if the person lives in a different state than the state you reside in.  Then you have to follow the state laws concerning transfer of ownership across state lines.

kodiakisland

May 29, 2014, 09:02:01 am #23 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:23:58 am by kodiakisland
Quote from: Wayne Watson on May 29, 2014, 08:40:52 am
That's your friend's fault.  They must run a check on everyone at the time of the purchase...regardless of his having his CCL.  The CCL does not exempt anyone from being checked when purchasing a firearm.

You do not have to do a NICS check if you have a CCL.  The store can do one anyway and be overly cautious, but it is not required.  It's been that way for a long time in AR.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/permanent-brady-permit-chart

rickm1976

Maybe in other states, but not in Arkansas, and this Academy was in Ft. Smith.  Look it up.

rickm1976

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 29, 2014, 08:41:37 am
We got tons of ill informed folks working Gun Counters at Academy , Walmart, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain and don't forget Dicks.  I had to stop a sells guy from selling the wrong High Power Rifle ammo to a lady.  30-06 wont take 300 win mag.

Roger that.  I usually buy from Bud's, but in this case, Walmart was the only place I could find what I wanted.  I bought one rifle from Academy, and that will be the last time for them.  It took almost two hours for them to go through their procedure.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: kodiakisland on May 29, 2014, 09:02:01 am
You do not have to do a NICS check if you have a CCL.  The store can do one anyway and be overly cautious, but it is not required.  It's been that way for a long time in AR.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.  Learn something everyday.
We don't rent pigs

cbhawg03

Academy in Fort Smith would let you go ahead and buy the gun if you could provide something like an electric or water bill with your current address, insurance with correct address or car registration with correct address.

They asked if the address was correct

cbhawg03

It has been 2.5 years or so, but I never seen a background check done on a person with a CCL from that state. For instance, a guy from Arkansas with a CCL walks into Academy and buys a gun, there is no need for a background check to be called in.

DeltaBoy

In Texas they just call the number give them my CCW ID Number and by the time I get my part of the paper work filled out we are done.  15 minutes tops.

Grizzlyfan

The Supreme Court decision on Monday provided for stricter enforcement of straw purchases.  They ruled that a guy who was legal to purchase a gun could not buy a gun for another guy (his uncle) who was also legal to purchase and own the gun.

I'm still not sure what effect this decision has on purchasing a gun for your minor children or for purchasing a gun to be given as a gift.  Although I would think that if a gun stays within one household it would be practically impossible to prove different ownership.

Grizzlyfan

But once again this just proves that most gun laws inconvenience, or make criminals out of, otherwise law abiding folks.  And do nothing to stop the already illegal use of guns.