Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's Go Old School . . . Air Rifles

Started by TeufelHog, January 03, 2014, 08:31:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TeufelHog

IYHO who's selling the best these days for small-game hunting?

- Benjamin? Crosman? Sheridan? Daisy? Gamo? Other???
- Pump? Break Barrel? CO2?
- .177 Cal? .20 Cal? .22 Cal?
- Ammo type?

Let's hear it!

Wayne Watson

Small game.  .22 but rim fire.  Not a big fan of air rifles for hunting.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

grayhawg

;D
Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 03, 2014, 08:39:07 pm
Nothing like a 22 for a lively gray squirrel hunt, need plenty of ammo. ;D

pigture perfect

I wouldn't call any of the dogs in my neighborhood small. Gamo .177 break-over. I would never hunt with it. Too inconsistant.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hawgon

The best air guns are spring piston guns and precharged pneumatics.  Of the springers, the Gamos are really bottom of the barrel other than some Chinese made ones (although the Chinese make a few great ones now).  RWS probably represents the best value of quality and price.  You can spend as much as you like and they are definitely not toys.  The best are German made and they'll kill squirrels deader than dead.  Springers have a great big spring snapping forward on the shot, as such they are very dependent on the hold and sensitive to that hold.  The unique double recoil will absolutely trash a scope not specifically designed for them in very short order.

Precharged pneumatics are another good option.  They have no recoil and you can usually get 30 to 40 full power shots before you have to recharge them.  The Crossman/Benjamin Discovery is a really good option for someone wanting one of these.  You can however, spend thousands on them if you want.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: grayhawg on January 03, 2014, 08:42:03 pm
;DNothing like a 22 for a lively gray squirrel hunt, need plenty of ammo. ;D

Was just up at Ozark Amory and they had none...not one .22 cartridge in the place.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

root_hawg

Bought a Gamo Whisper, can shoot in the neighborhood or in the woods

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 03, 2014, 08:39:07 pm

This I use air rifles for targets and rats.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigasaurus

Thirty five yrs ago my pump up air rifle with 4X scope sent many blackbirds to the promised land.  That kept from going stir crazy between the time rabbit season ended and bass fishing cranked up.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

root_hawg

Took the gamo out the other day squirrel hunting with the dogs, performed pretty well

TeufelHog

Ammo shortage, and noise concerns of .22's, is exactly why I opened the thread.  Plenty of pellets and air rifles on the shelves . . . currently anyway .

Albert Einswine

Wish someone would resurrect this bad boy.

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 12, 2014, 12:46:03 pm
Wish someone would resurrect this bad boy.

It would be great and it worked really good.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 13, 2014, 02:31:11 pm
It would be great and it worked really good.

It served in the Austrian army for 35 years from 1780 to 1815 so it must have been pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

It was powerful enough to kill deer and such.

95_alum

A BB minigun would be a nice addition. Very quiet for the rate of fire it can crank out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXtVrCA7CCY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

DeltaBoy

I got a Remington 77 air gun and I killed rats and some bad black birds with it out to 40 feet. It real quiet.

CPO Hog

.177 Gamo Rocket 1250 fps w/ 4X32 scope. It's a soda can killer at 35 paces. I bought it so my kid could get use to handling a gun and zeroing scopes.

DeltaBoy

There is a Air Rifle over at Rimfire Central and a Crossman Fourm that discuss Air gun hunting and perfered Air Rifles.

1highhog

root_hawg

Neighbor was over the other day, bet him a $1 I could hit his wind chimes from my house (50 yards); he said no way but go ahead I hate that thing....took dead aim and center cut it...only problem..he didn't tell me the middle part was glass, haven't asked yet what he told his wife!   8)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: root_hawg on January 30, 2014, 08:17:47 am
Neighbor was over the other day, bet him a $1 I could hit his wind chimes from my house (50 yards); he said no way but go ahead I hate that thing....took dead aim and center cut it...only problem..he didn't tell me the middle part was glass, haven't asked yet what he told his wife!   8)

LOL that made my day.

OldCoot

Rzbakfromwaybak

I just got a little Crossman 2100 pump.  177 pellets & BB's.  Just for backyard plinking. Inexpensive little gun,  I needed something fairly quiet.  Only shot it about 25-30 times so far, sighting it in.  Impressive so far.  Pellets got a 3 shot group that covers a dime at about 55ft.  Feel fortunate to get that, trigger is rough & heavy...which I expected for about a $50 gun.  Haven't tried the BB's yet, but suspect the accuracy will not be near as well as the pellets.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: 1highhog on January 30, 2014, 06:52:13 am

I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat and hunt with it.
http://www.pyramydair.com/article/_50_Caliber_Dragon_Slayer_Air_Rifle_December_2007/45

No sure about "buying" the 50 cal Dragon Slayer air rifle..."in a heartbeat"...

but there would be no hesitation on your avatar...

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

1highhog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 03, 2014, 12:50:09 am
I just got a little Crossman 2100 pump.  177 pellets & BB's.  Just for backyard plinking. Inexpensive little gun,  I needed something fairly quiet.  Only shot it about 25-30 times so far, sighting it in.  Impressive so far.  Pellets got a 3 shot group that covers a dime at about 55ft.  Feel fortunate to get that, trigger is rough & heavy...which I expected for about a $50 gun.  Haven't tried the BB's yet, but suspect the accuracy will not be near as well as the pellets.

You can file on that trigger to soften it up some to make it where its not so heavy, for a little $50 shooter that's a decent group.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 03, 2014, 12:50:09 am

They work and they are making some great powerful ones in the 250-500 dollar range.

DeltaBoy

The High Road also got a Air Rifle Forum.  These air guns are like a Ruger 10/22 you can sink a black land farm in them souping them up!

Magic_Hogg

Anyone here recall the Daisy Arkansas can opener?   Man, I wanted one of those as a kid.  Mom would not consider it.

DeltaBoy

Yep the 922 and they hit hard.

Magic_Hogg

I have a 9-year old who is wanting a bb gun. I was looking at a Crosman 760 the other day at Wal-Mart for something like $34.99.  Max speed for the bb was 625 fps though.  Sounds fast to me.

I would make my mother take me to the Daisy factory when I was a kid - early-mid 80's.  I would come out of there with their catalogs, etc.   They had brought out their "Hi-Line" series and wow did they look impressive.

JackSalmon

I bought a Benjamin Marauder in .25 and it is very accurate and hard shooting.  I've killed squirrels with it.  It is a little heavy, but the pros easily outweigh the cons. 

DeltaBoy

Texas has made shooting Tree Rats with an Air Rifle legal.