Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TX Coaching Search

Started by trashcan maN, December 06, 2013, 09:50:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 11:49:39 am
She also said there was no foundation to the rumors that she was house hunting in Austin. Then someone pointed out that she was blatantly seen house hunting, and she had to come up with a different story.

The Sabans have shown no problem with lying to the media, the administration, fans and recruits when it's time to pack up and leave. I don't know if they will leave, but I'm certainly not taking their word as gospel.

You aren't kidding.  When he left Miami it was so abrupt that my memory almost recalls it as denying it at the first of a press conference, and then announcing he was leaving at the end of it.   ;D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

superior_wang

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:51:34 am
So you're saying that the actual message boards for UT might be more accurate than what color tie someone is wearing? 

I would venture a guess that your "source" is probably more reliable than some of the "insiders" that we have on Hogville, but it's just a hunch.   8)

i stopped listening to hogville insiders about the time John Gruden's kids enrolled at Fayetteville HS.

atekido

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on December 06, 2013, 10:15:36 am
I just don't see Saban going to Texas.  His, or his wife's, voiced discontent with Alabama being spoiled, unappreciative fans, in a fishbowl environment would be exactly what he'd get in Austin if he had the same success there.  That said, he'd have to build that success at Texas.  While I don't think it would take long, it would take more work than staying at Bama.

I think Sexton gets Saban a nice pay raise out of this, but I just don't see Saban up and moving to Austin.

except Sexton has already said Texas would be a school saban would leave for.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 11:51:28 am
Please leave Tuscaloosa, Nick.  Puuleeeeeeaaase.

It's not impossible that Bama would bring in a coach that might do even more with the recruits that Bama has been landing.  I know...seems impossible, but it's not. 

I want him to stay, and for us to beat them before he retires.  But to be honest...if I were him, and the UT job was open and I knew I was heading down there to be catered to with white glove treatment, I could set my own ground rules, and chase something that has never been done while making enough money to ensure my grandchildren's grandchildren would be set for life...it might be pretty tempting. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: superior_wang on December 06, 2013, 11:55:26 am
i stopped listening to hogville insiders about the time John Gruden's kids enrolled at Fayetteville HS.

Then you are a slow learner.   :P
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: atekido on December 06, 2013, 11:56:10 am

except Sexton has already said Texas would be a school saban would leave for.

Sure he's going to say that...why not?  What's better for leverage to get Saban a nice raise, and a big commission check for himself?  Negotiations 101... 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:57:23 am
It's not impossible that Bama would bring in a coach that might do even more with the recruits that Bama has been landing.  I know...seems impossible, but it's not. 

I want him to stay, and for us to beat them before he retires.  But to be honest...if I were him, and the UT job was open and I knew I was heading down there to be catered to with white glove treatment, I could set my own ground rules, and chase something that has never been done while making enough money to ensure my grandchildren's grandchildren would be set for life...it might be pretty tempting. 

Except he's set for life either way...his grandchildren's grandchildren included.  Money won't be a primary reason unless there is actually a vastly huge gap in offers.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: superior_wang on December 06, 2013, 11:55:26 am

I've found that to be more of an oxymoron than anything else.  The only example I can recall being accurate was when some guy registered, and predicted the fall from grace of CBP just hours before it happened.  So from now on, when I see someone on the board with less than 5 posts predict something, I'm going to be more inclined to lend credence than I would someone who professes to have had sources for years. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 09:53:21 am
Possibly. TX has around 21 commits right now, and usually new HCs will honor most schollies already offered at the new school.

This is true.

On the other hand, if Saban moves on, will the TX recruits want to keep their commitment.  It's a two-way street until the ink is dry...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 12:01:23 pm
Except he's set for life either way...his grandchildren's grandchildren included.  Money won't be a primary reason unless there is actually a vastly huge gap in offers.

Right...but as I suggested earlier, money won't be why he leaves.  BUT..you can bet that he isn't going for less than what he's making now either...Sexton will see to that.  He'll leave because he wants to take a crack at living in infamy...if he leaves, which I will be surprised if he does. 

I still say that there are a lot of big egos, and all it takes is a few of them getting cross ways, and unexpected things can happen quickly.  Years ago when Jack Welch was leading GE, he had all but earmarked someone other than Jeffrey Immelt to succeed him.  But word got back to him that he was already talking to key officials about sweeping changes that he was going to make to their existing structure when moved up to CEO, and Welch took that as a lack of respect.  Enter Immelt in somewhat of a shocker...  Strange things happen at that level of ego and pride. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Fort Dweller on December 06, 2013, 11:45:06 am
rlh06 works for/with ESPN if I remember correctly

This is true. The guy giving me info on Bama/Saban though is not Espn affiliated, just a friend/BamaAlum/former coworker/friend of Paul Finebaum.  He thinks Bama keeps Saban. Some Texas folks think they will get Saban. I think Saban stays at Bama myself. Having said that and as others have mentioned Austin does have some perks, especially away from the field. Less taxes, better city, more chance to "blend in with a crowd" so to speak. I think he stays where he is but understand why the rumor mill is heating up again. We'll see.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on December 06, 2013, 10:09:52 am
If this happens (Saban leaving), does Smart go with him or take over?

This is very good question.  But, I would say, the person following Saban may have a very tough time getting that program to anything close to what Saban had it.

You know what they say about following a legend...?  Not too many people have done it successfully.  Smart (with no HC experience) would be dumb to try it.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: rlh06 on December 06, 2013, 12:07:23 pm
This is true. The guy giving me info on Bama/Saban though is not Espn affiliated, just a friend/BamaAlum/former coworker/friend of Paul Finebaum.  He thinks Bama keeps Saban. Some Texas folks think they will get Saban. I think Saban stays at Bama myself. Having said that and as others have mentioned Austin does have some perks, especially away from the field. Less taxes, better city, more chance to "blend in with a crowd" so to speak. I think he stays where he is but understand why the rumor mill is heating up again. We'll see.

Let's be serious though.  Saban doesn't give a rip about the "night life" in Austin, or better shopping for Terry.  At that age, the warmer weather might be enticing, but other than that...I doubt it's playing a whole lot into the decision, other than women always like to decorate new homes.   ;D

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 06, 2013, 12:07:58 pm
This is very good question.  But, I would say, the person following Saban may have a very tough time getting that program to anything close to what Saban had it.

You know what they say about following a legend...?  Not too many people have done it successfully.  Smart (with no HC experience) would be dumb to try it.

I would have serious questions about Smart.  When you're the trigger man, it's different.  He could end up being another Muschamp, and do less with more...easily.  Just watching him on the sidelines...he doesn't exactly ooze composure and confidence. 

superior_wang

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:01:57 pm
I've found that to be more of an oxymoron than anything else.  The only example I can recall being accurate was when some guy registered, and predicted the fall from grace of CBP just hours before it happened.  So from now on, when I see someone on the board with less than 5 posts predict something, I'm going to be more inclined to lend credence than I would someone who professes to have had sources for years.

thats a damn fine tip Smalls. Gracias.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Dirty on December 06, 2013, 10:14:53 am
The statues in Tuscaloosa would be torn down if he goes!  Harvey strikes again.

No way Alabama is that stupid. You win three NC there in eight years and they tear your statue down?  That would make Saban's move away from a hysterical place, look very justified...  LOL

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:07:02 pm
Right...but as I suggested earlier, money won't be why he leaves.  BUT..you can bet that he isn't going for less than what he's making now either...Sexton will see to that.  He'll leave because he wants to take a crack at living in infamy...if he leaves, which I will be surprised if he does. 

I still say that there are a lot of big egos, and all it takes is a few of them getting cross ways, and unexpected things can happen quickly.  Years ago when Jack Welch was leading GE, he had all but earmarked someone other than Jeffrey Immelt to succeed him.  But word got back to him that he was already talking to key officials about sweeping changes that he was going to make to their existing structure when moved up to CEO, and Welch took that as a lack of respect.  Enter Immelt in somewhat of a shocker...  Strange things happen at that level of ego and pride. 

I would agree that money won't be the deciding factor. Ego/pride to win a natty at a 3rd school and Austin offering a setting where he and his wife might get more privacy come to mind more so than money.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hoggish1

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 10:49:30 am
Why announce on Dec. 13th?  If that's true, and it is Saban, then that's pretty bold on both of their parts.  They would fling eggs at Saban's house with impunity, and he'd have more death threats than you can shake a stick at.  Someone would paint "Die" in cheesy white spray paint on his statue, and the fans that have loved him for years would boo him at the bowl game.  People think we're bat poop crazy, but Bama fans...you gotta be kidding me.  They're bonkers from the word go. 

Whoa...  I find this just a little dramatic.  The man has won three NCs for Bama.  Don't you think the fans would have just a bit more respect than the picture you've just painted?

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 06, 2013, 10:10:41 am
Just my opinion, but the only reason that Saban leaves Alabama is for the chance (at his age and this stage of his career) to build and win another NC at a third school. No other Div I HC has ever done this and this move would not be about money, though he would be paid a boatload to make the move, it would be about his legacy in the history of college football. I think he would like to cement himself as potentially beng viewed as the greatest college football coach in history and if he can pull this off, who could argue that? That's why I think it is already a done deal and just hasn't been announced yet.

I think this is exactly right.  My guess is Saban has seen Bear Bryant's statue far too many times and wants to cement his legacy as the best to ever coach the college game. 

I also think it's going to happen because Sexton has gone quiet.

MacHog19

1.  I don't think Saban leaves Alabama.  While he may be upset about the Iron Bowl loss, I think his ego is such that he knows Bear Bryant is viewed as the greatest college coach of all time and he'd love to surpass Bryant's NC total.

2.  Nevertheless, for the sake of the argument, let's say Saban does accept the Texas job.  Do you really believe for one second (pun intended) that he'll honor the schollies currently offered?  For Pete's sake, look at what he did to Darius Philon when he basically gutted Philon's scholarship on National Signing Day and Philon opted to sign with the Razorbacks.  If he'd throw Philon, an Alabama native, under the bus like that, do you really think he gives a da*^ who the Longhorns have offered scholarships to thus far?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hoping Texas hires Saban or Gus

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: superior_wang on December 06, 2013, 12:11:43 pm
thats a damn fine tip Smalls. Gracias.

Do you have a fever or something?  You and I are constantly at odds, and today we're agreeing on a few things.  Maybe it's the snow or something, of which we have about 9 or so inches and it's still coming down!!   :o

texas tush hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:01:57 pm

That is an astute observation and I agree 100%.

superior_wang

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 11:57:59 am
Then you are a slow learner.   :P

true true.  im sure their were many other lines of bs i missed out on!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 06, 2013, 12:12:31 pm
No way Alabama is that stupid. You win three NC there in eight years and they tear your statue down?  That would make Saban's move away from a hysterical place, look very justified...  LOL

It just takes one fan with a chainsaw.  They've have to hire an armed guard to protect it 24/7 from the crazies. 

superior_wang

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:24:28 pm
Do you have a fever or something?  You and I are constantly at odds, and today we're agreeing on a few things.  Maybe it's the snow or something, of which we have about 9 or so inches and it's still coming down!!   :o

what area are u in smalls?  not much snow here but colder n a well diggers a$$ in idaho here now. about 6 or 8 i think .

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 06, 2013, 12:22:32 pm
Whoa...  I find this just a little dramatic.  The man has won three NCs for Bama.  Don't you think the fans would have just a bit more respect than the picture you've just painted?

Maybe it's a little dramatic.  I emphasize "a little."  If in year two UT beat Bama in the NC game, that statue would be rubble before the game ended. 

We're talking about crazed fans who have SHOT people over wins and losses. 

Hoggish1

December 06, 2013, 12:29:24 pm #127 Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:06:59 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: rlh06 on December 06, 2013, 10:56:55 am
Word I'm hearing is Saban is getting another raise to stay at Bama.

Weak argument.  Raises at the level he currently works for would not be a carrot.

The carrot is:

The 3rd school for a NC

Not being so exposed in a small town with every goober peering in you window at all hours of the day

Nicer local for the Mrs.

All that spells carrot to me, but $, no way.  If he wants more, all he needs to do is ask...

texas tush hog

Quote from: rlh06 on December 06, 2013, 12:07:23 pm

We have found over the years that some ESPN sources, or Finebaum for that matter, are not always that reliable. We found that out during our coaching search.

The NewEra

You really need to get out more if you think Alabama's fan base is worse than Texas'.
[/quote]

I lived in Texas for 25 years and I can assure you there is no comparison between LongHorn fans and Bama Fans.  In Alabama college football is a year around sport.  In Texas it's seasonal.  That's just a fact.  Texas fans are arrogant pricks, but so are Bama fans.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: superior_wang on December 06, 2013, 12:27:43 pm
what area are u in smalls?  not much snow here but colder n a well diggers a$$ in idaho here now. about 6 or 8 i think .

Bentonville...and I may be underestimating the snowfall.  It may be closer to a foot.  And it's colder than a witch's tata in a brass bra here too. The kids keep thinking they want to sled on the hill next to our house, but most don't make it more than about 20 minutes.  I did look out there about an hour ago, and some kid was shredding the hill on a snowboard.  Impressive.  Obviously...he ain't from around here. 

Everyone is out there with their new fangled sleds and crap, and my son shows up with a good old fashioned innertube.  What they fail to realize is...there's built in cushion on an innertube, and after they go down on it once...they all want one.  Sometimes old school is where it's at...

texas tush hog

Quote from: The NewEra on December 06, 2013, 12:30:55 pm
You really need to get out more if you think Alabama's fan base is worse than Texas'.

I lived in Texas for 25 years and I can assure you there is no comparison between LongHorn fans and Bama Fans.  In Alabama college football is a year around sport.  In Texas it's seasonal.  That's just a fact.  Texas fans are arrogant pricks, but so are Bama fans.

Longhorn fans are opera fans. That's why they are called teasippers. Come late and leave early. Saban just thinks the Alabama fans leave early. The teasippers leave after the third quarter when the game is not close, either way.

Hoggish1

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 11:11:59 am
You think Jimmy Sexton wouldn't pass up a chance to grab more cash for a client?

Did you mean to phrase it the other way round? 

MacHog19

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 06, 2013, 12:22:32 pm
No, I don't.  You have to look no further than the Auburn tree killing incident to know the psyche of some Tide fans.  If Saban took the UT job, he would not, nor would Alabama let him coach their bowl game.  In time, some of the 'Bama faithful would get over it, but if I read that someone vandalized his statue after his announcement to leave Tuscaloosa, I would not have any trouble believing it.

rlreev01

Saban is involved in some losing real estate deals in Tuscaloosa.  Saban's wife is a Realtor and has some interest in Austin. I would not be surprised if Saban did one more good lick, financially, and gets to a place where he could retire to in the hill country.  I do not see it happening but it would not surprise me and I sure hope it does.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The NewEra on December 06, 2013, 12:30:55 pm

I have family in the Dallas area, and they wear Hog gear all the time, and talk about how often they see other people in that area with it on all the time.  In contrast, I have a friend who lived in Birmingham for work for about two years.  I went to visit him, and he immediately suggested I take my Razorback license plate cover off my car if I didn't want it to be keyed the first day.  He went down there defiant and insisting that he would wear his Hog gear proudly, and he did...at first.  But it got to the point that he just got tired of the constant barrage of comments and he quit wearing it.  That was in the mid nineties, and I'm sure it's no different now with their recent success.   

IMO, there's a big difference there.   

superior_wang

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:34:47 pm
Bentonville...and I may be underestimating the snowfall.  It may be closer to a foot.  And it's colder than a witch's tata in a brass bra here too. The kids keep thinking they want to sled on the hill next to our house, but most don't make it more than about 20 minutes.  I did look out there about an hour ago, and some kid was shredding the hill on a snowboard.  Impressive.  Obviously...he ain't from around here. 

Everyone is out there with their new fangled sleds and crap, and my son shows up with a good old fashioned innertube.  What they fail to realize is...there's built in cushion on an innertube, and after they go down on it once...they all want one.  Sometimes old school is where it's at...

inner tube is the only way!

ive done both  the "hike your butt back up the hill" sledding , and ive done the sled down, walk 50 feet to the lift and ride back up.. no comparision...great one i like out near winter park . somehow they allow the maximum speed on an inner tube without being able to totally wipe out... ..going sledding on a tube at night with headlamps is the way to go .

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 11:17:59 am
From WSJ Article, sound familiar?

In late 1999, after a 9-2 season, Saban felt the school owed him a bonus and was disappointed when it didn't come immediately. After reports surfaced that Saban was talking with LSU, a team of Michigan State administrators led by Joel Ferguson, a trustee, went to Saban's house one Saturday night. Saban denied being in talks with LSU—he said the school had simply reached out to him. But something struck the administrators as odd: Terry wasn't home.

"Joel said, 'Nick where's Terry?'" said Underwood, who was in the group. "He said she was at the store. But then he asked again: "Nick, is Terry in Baton Rouge?' And he said, 'Yes, she's there now.'" The next morning, Saban left for LSU.

Great story.  Terry was at the store in Baton Rouge... 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 06, 2013, 12:44:55 pm
Great story.  Terry was at the store in Baton Rouge...

LOL....now that's funny.   ;D   Context...it can mean everything. 

The NewEra

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:39:11 pm
I have family in the Dallas area, and they wear Hog gear all the time, and talk about how often they see other people in that area with it on all the time.  In contrast, I have a friend who lived in Birmingham for work for about two years.  I went to visit him, and he immediately suggested I take my Razorback license plate cover off my car if I didn't want it to be keyed the first day.  He went down there defiant and insisting that he would wear his Hog gear proudly, and he did...at first.  But it got to the point that he just got tired of the constant barrage of comments and he quit wearing it.  That was in the mid nineties, and I'm sure it's no different now with their recent success.   

IMO, there's a big difference there.   

I'm in total agreement with you.  I tried to quote someone in that post and it didn't come out right.  I lived in Dallas too for that 25 years and he was spot on.  I never lived in Bama though.  Just a visit on a few occasions cemented my feelings on them.

MacHog19

She also said there was no foundation to the rumors that she was house hunting in Austin. Then someone pointed out that she was blatantly seen house hunting, and she had to come up with a different story.

The Sabans have shown no problem with lying to the media, the administration, fans and recruits when it's time to pack up and leave. I don't know if they will leave, but I'm certainly not taking their word as gospel.

You mean coaches lie to the media, the administration, fans and recruits by saying things like they're going to turn a fledging program into the "Boise State of the South" or that they're in a city for the long term only to leave in a year?  What unprincipled person would do such a thing?

Hoggish1

I'm trying to imagine someone not lying to the media. 

When a coach is about to move, there is no reason to give straight answers to "the media, " of all entities...

BOAR_N2BWILD

I think that Texas will go after Kevin Sumlin. Johnny Dooshball will be gone and Sumlin already has a deep connection in Houston and College Station areas for recruiting.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

thefisher

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 10:14:49 am
I definitely think legacy plays a big factor, but a nagging wife can get almost anything if she really wants it. hah!
Pearls of wisdom and truth right there.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 06, 2013, 12:58:44 pm
I think that Texas will go after Kevin Sumlin. Johnny Dooshball will be gone and Sumlin already has a deep connection in Houston and College Station areas for recruiting.

Would be hilarious if they pulled it off.

moses_007

Saban will take the Texas job, then Alabama will hire Gus.

Hoggish1

December 06, 2013, 01:01:37 pm #147 Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:15:16 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:11:29 pm
I would have serious questions about Smart.  When you're the trigger man, it's different.  He could end up being another Muschamp, and do less with more...easily.  Just watching him on the sidelines...he doesn't exactly ooze composure and confidence. 

Has anybody told you how brilliant you were, lately? 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: moses_007 on December 06, 2013, 01:00:19 pm
Saban will take the Texas job, then Alabama will hire Gus.

And Allburn would deserve it.  I don't believe any of it, though.

Hoggish1

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 12:25:42 pm
It just takes one fan with a chainsaw.  They've have to hire an armed guard to protect it 24/7 from the crazies. 

A chainsaw on a bronze statue?  No that's the type fan I'd want to get away from.