Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So has there been any movement on the 18 class?

Started by Hopeful Hog, February 03, 2018, 02:24:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopeful Hog

Any news or new rumors about our guys leaning more toward us now?

SooieGeneris

I haven't heard anything on this weekend's visitors yet. However, we have picked up crystall ball picks on 24/7 for Brule, Foucha, Treveon Johnson and Caleb Okechukwu in recent days.

The bad news is Parker has a new crystal ball pick to Texas recently. Hopefully, we hang onto him as he is in Austin this weekend.

And Okechukwu is among the visitors this weekend, so hopefully we could hear something on him tomorrow.

Of the 6 committed who didn't sign in Dec. it looks like Parker is the only one who may be wavering.

Gatlin has been committed a long time, never visited anywhere else,
Winkel seems 100%,
Boyd recently stated on twitter he is 100% committed,
Mason paid his own way for an unofficial, no worries there,
Alexander has not visited anywhere else but Texas, before he committed to us,
so that leaves only Parker among our commits as less than 100%.

Gerald is still in play looks like, so 4-5 signees Weds. in addition to the commits is looking likely for 18 or 19 total in this class.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Redhogs

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 03, 2018, 05:01:59 pm
I haven't heard anything on this weekend's visitors yet. However, we have picked up crystall ball picks on 24/7 for Brule, Foucha, Treveon Johnson and Caleb Okechukwu in recent days.

The bad news is Parker has a new crystal ball pick to Texas recently. Hopefully, we hang onto him as he is in Austin this weekend.

And Okechukwu is among the visitors this weekend, so hopefully we could hear something on him tomorrow.

Of the 6 committed who didn't sign in Dec. it looks like Parker is the only one who may be wavering.

Gatlin has been committed a long time, never visited anywhere else,
Winkel seems 100%,
Boyd recently stated on twitter he is 100% committed,
Mason paid his own way for an unofficial, no worries there,
Alexander has not visited anywhere else but Texas, before he committed to us,
so that leaves only Parker among our commits as less than 100%.

Gerald is still in play looks like, so 4-5 signees Weds. in addition to the commits is looking likely for 18 or 19 total in this class.
Good summery at this point...thanks.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dropkick

Richard Davenport

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 04, 2018, 08:05:06 am
Signing day will be a very busy day.

I understand this can change by the hour. But are the kids waiting till signing day letting the coaches know their decisions ahead of time?

GA reddiehog

Well, it looks like we are losing Parker and will not be getting Moody or Gerald.  Looks like the Hogs have flamed out at the end as usual.  I guess they might pick up 1-2 more by signing day.  Does that hat have any rabbits in it?

Tusks

Moody and Parker would be playing right under Chavis as LB, that's his position.  If he can't close a couple of 3* LB and he's their position coach then that going to be tough sledding.

1 LB in the entire class, not good and he was coming regardless.  How do you go an entire recruiting cycle and not recruit/sell one LB?

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Steef

Quote from: tusked on February 04, 2018, 11:51:43 am
Moody and Parker would be playing right under Chavis as LB, that's his position.  If he can't close a couple of 3* LB and he's their position coach then that going to be tough sledding.

1 LB in the entire class, not good and he was coming regardless.  How do you go an entire recruiting cycle and not recruit/sell one LB?

Good linebackers are rare. And we switched coaching staffs in the middle of the recruiting season.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2018, 12:08:43 pm
Good linebackers are rare. And we switched coaching staffs in the middle of the recruiting season.

Yeah, but we were first in on those two and one is flipping to Texass, and the other is going to Bama. Unfortunately, it appears the finish will be about normal.

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2018, 12:31:31 pm
Yeah, but we were first in on those two and one is flipping to Texass, and the other is going to Bama. Unfortunately, it appears the finish will be about normal.

Yeah, we sure lost those two to minor schools, huh? Thank goodness we aren't competing with BIG programs.

DuckTalesLOL

Parker is leaving. His Twitter picture and background are no longer Arkansas(just a black background), and his bio no longer says "Committed to the University of Arkansas".

He gone.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2018, 12:38:19 pm
Yeah, we sure lost those two to minor schools, huh? Thank goodness we aren't competing with BIG programs.

Who said anything about minor schools? The LA kid has no more allegiance to Texas than us, and he had zero P5 offers until we offered him, and lastly, we are a BIG program.

rhames

Quote from: DuckTalesLOL on February 04, 2018, 12:40:38 pm
Parker is leaving. His Twitter picture and background are no longer Arkansas(just a black background), and his bio no longer says "Committed to the University of Arkansas".

He gone.

Kids who still take visitor aren't committed IMO

I don't mean that as a slight. Happy for a kid going where he wants to 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: DuckTalesLOL on February 04, 2018, 12:40:38 pm

He gone.

I guess he wants to go where the coach acts like a drunken fratboy on the sidelines during games..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

colbs

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on February 04, 2018, 01:12:48 pm
If Brule comes that's another LB.

And he visited MSU over the weekend, after saying on Monday that he wasn't??..??

colbs

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2018, 01:16:03 pm
And he visited MSU over the weekend, after saying on Monday that he wasn't??..??
Yeah who knows.  Coaches are always talking to these kids so I guess they changed his mind.  It looks like he went up late Saturday so I guess that's a positive.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2018, 12:48:17 pm
Who said anything about minor schools? The LA kid has no more allegiance to Texas than us, and he had zero P5 offers until we offered him, and lastly, we are a BIG program.

Thought we fired Bielema? \s
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bubba's Bruisers

Just have to convince the better recruits we are a BIG program.  Most don't see it.  Still.

Parker committed to us because we were easily his best option, then the TX schools began offering.  All of a sudden, we ain't so big.  Or interesting.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 04, 2018, 02:00:41 pm
Thought we fired Bielema? \s

Curious if those beefing about our current recruiting are the same ones who complained about CBB's recruiting.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2018, 02:03:27 pm
Curious if those beefing about our current recruiting are the same ones who complained about CBB's recruiting.

His recruiting was decent, but nothing special.  His coaching may have disguised some of their abilities.

And let's not purposely interchange the terms "recruiting" and "evaluation".  They aren't the same.  Your post is uses the former, but really intends the latter.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Steef

We are not Bama or Texas. We just aren't.

bennyl08

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2018, 12:08:43 pm

True. However, quality OL are rare as well and Bielema hired Pittman and they were able to use their connections to land two quality OL players in Kirkland and Skipper after switching in the middle of the recruiting season. Quality QB's are also very hard to find. Petrino was able to get Mallett and Wilson to come play here after switching in the middle of the recruiting season as well. Sure, Mallett came after a coaching change at michigan, but it's not like there haven't been plenty of coaching changes this year to lure a transfer.

IMO, there is a good reason we don't have a lot of LB commits right now, and that's because honestly, we don't need a bunch. We are currently loaded at LB. We are losing a lot of OL players this season so we need numbers there. We could probably use another RB in this class. I mean, we are potentially losing a LB to Texas because he has an easier path to playing there than here. If anything, that's a cause for celebration, not complaining. But, then again, this is hogville.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2018, 02:03:27 pm

I was making a Big 10 joke.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on February 04, 2018, 02:12:44 pm
We are not Bama or Texas. We just aren't.

Texas hasn't been anything special in these kids lifes, either. I fully understand we aren't on the same level as Bama, I'm more interested how they've had to drop down several levels to come up with LB's this year, too.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 04, 2018, 02:14:47 pm
True. However, quality OL are rare as well and Bielema hired Pittman and they were able to use their connections to land two quality OL players in Kirkland and Skipper after switching in the middle of the recruiting season. Quality QB's are also very hard to find. Petrino was able to get Mallett and Wilson to come play here after switching in the middle of the recruiting season as well. Sure, Mallett came after a coaching change at michigan, but it's not like there haven't been plenty of coaching changes this year to lure a transfer.

IMO, there is a good reason we don't have a lot of LB commits right now, and that's because honestly, we don't need a bunch. We are currently loaded at LB. We are losing a lot of OL players this season so we need numbers there. We could probably use another RB in this class. I mean, we are potentially losing a LB to Texas because he has an easier path to playing there than here. If anything, that's a cause for celebration, not complaining. But, then again, this is hogville.

We've been going hard at LB this recruiting season, Parker, Moody, and Brule were all offered by the new staff, they obviously want different LB's. The numbers are good at LB, but that that's about all, after 2 guys.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 04, 2018, 02:14:47 pm

Loaded with numbers maybe. Which is different than being loaded quality players

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 04, 2018, 02:42:23 pm
Loaded with numbers maybe. Which is different than being loaded quality players
Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2018, 02:29:27 pm
We've been going hard at LB this recruiting season, Parker, Moody, and Brule were all offered by the new staff, they obviously want different LB's. The numbers are good at LB, but that that's about all, after 2 guys.
Thing is IMO you both have no idea if this is true, and I dare say neither do the coaches. There is little to no tape on our LB depth. If there is it is from practice, none of those guys appeared to be reaches when they were recruited except maybe Hayden. IMO we have lots of depth at LB, and anyone we sign this year will redshirt. I think all these guys we have offered legitimately should have been offered, but not because we need them to be immediate contributors IMO.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2018, 03:49:33 pm
Thing is IMO you both have no idea if this is true, and I dare say neither do the coaches. There is little to no tape on our LB depth. If there is it is from practice, none of those guys appeared to be reaches when they were recruited except maybe Hayden. IMO we have lots of depth at LB, and anyone we sign this year will redshirt. I think all these guys we have offered legitimately should have been offered, but not because we need them to be immediate contributors IMO.

Well our new coaches reviewed all this depth watching game, practice and HS tapes. After that they offered Andrew Parker, Jaylen Moody and Aaron Brule.

Draw your own conclusion why

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 04, 2018, 03:51:50 pm
Well our new coaches reviewed all this depth watching game, practice and HS tapes. After that they offered Andrew Parker, Jaylen Moody and Aaron Brule.

Draw your own conclusion why
I just think if you watch our game tapes and watch Eugene and Richardson playing OLB one would assume we needed LB depth.

King Kong

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2018, 03:58:06 pm
I just think if you watch our game tapes and watch Eugene and Richardson playing OLB one would assume we needed LB depth.

Well we know the coaches also watched practice tape prior to making decision about what was needed. Atleast that's what they said in their press conference.

Currently at LB I think we only know that Harris and Greenlaw can play.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: King Kong on February 04, 2018, 06:06:03 pm
Well we know the coaches also watched practice tape prior to making decision about what was needed. Atleast that's what they said in their press conference.

Currently at LB I think we only know that Harris and Greenlaw can play.

Yes, LB has been glaring weakness for years. It's just common sense that we're pursuing LB's.

orgkeith

We have one good LB on the team, one.  We have signed a bunch of nobodies at LB.  Our roster is terrible on defense, just terrible.

King Kong

Quote from: orgkeith on February 04, 2018, 08:30:31 pm
We have one good LB on the team, one.  We have signed a bunch of nobodies at LB.  Our roster is terrible on defense, just terrible.

We have 2. Harris and Greenlaw both had 100 tackles last year.

Really the place we have be biggest need IMO is Dline

orgkeith

Greenlaw makes his tackles 5 yards plus down the field.  Never makes any big plays.

orgkeith

Quote from: King Kong on February 04, 2018, 08:35:10 pm
We have 2. Harris and Greenlaw both had 100 tackles last year.

Really the place we have be biggest need IMO is Dline

We haven't signed a rush DE in the last five years. Just terrible, terrible recruiting for defense the last 5 years.  Got BB fired as much as anything.  He would have been fired sooner if not for the productive offence in 2015 and 2016.  Incredible how poor they recruited for the defense.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: orgkeith on February 04, 2018, 09:37:32 pm

We haven't signed a rush DE in the last five years. Just terrible, terrible recruiting for defense the last 5 years.  Got BB fired as much as anything.  He would have been fired sooner if not for the productive offence in 2015 and 2016.  Incredible how poor they recruited for the defense.

By and large, We've recruited poorly on defense for years now. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: orgkeith on February 04, 2018, 09:30:34 pm
Greenlaw makes his tackles 5 yards plus down the field.  Never makes any big plays.

LSU game at Baton Rouge 2015, strip sacked the QB inside the 10 yard line.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2018, 03:49:33 pm

Good statement. And, they will be transformed in a new system, with new coaching and a fresh start in the weight room. No telling what those guys can do in a year or two.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: orgkeith on February 04, 2018, 09:37:32 pm

Makes you wonder if CBB has a voodoo doll in the image of Solomon Thomas at home. That kid would have been a difference maker.