Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting restarted with the game after injury.

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, January 12, 2018, 01:56:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I broke my right shoulder on 2014. At the time I had a carthouse and member ship at a local 9 hole muni in Amory, MS. I sold my cart, but kept my clubs just on the hope that I could play again. After two surgeries I have been cleared to play, but having a reversal replacement my swing is horrible. I used to fly it 250 on avg with the occasional 280 when things got right. Now I fly it about 150 and get a pretty good roll to 200 with my low flight plane. My irons though are horrible. I used to fly my sand wedge 100 yds like a dart thrower, but now can only get about 40. My 6 iron used to get between 160 to 180 and was my go to club. I think I am going to have to go to graphite shafts. Anyone play graphite irons? How much distance assist do you get?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GolfNut57

For me, going from steel shafts to graphite didn't help much at all, if any, distance wise. It was more of an accuracy issue due to the different torques of the two different shafts. I have two sets of irons (6I-SW) I swap out periodically depending on how I am hitting the set currently in my bag. And yes one set of irons is steel shafted (Ping G25's) and the graphite shafted clubs are Infinity's. But no matter which set I am using I find myself hitting them about the same distance. The biggest difference is the Pings, when I hit them right, have a considerably higher ball flight than the Infinity's.

JMO but I don't think changing club shafts for you would improve your distance all that much. Due to your long layoff it is likely to be more of a case of correct timing with your release, hitting the sweet spot consistently, and your clubhead speed that you have to regain. You didn't say what your clubhead speed is but if you are only flying your driver 150 yards then your speed can't be more than in the 60-70 mph range is my guess. Right now the best thing you can probably do is to spend as much time as possible on the range to rebuild your swing into that same smooth groove you were hitting with before, before worrying about buying different irons.

P.S. You mentioned you now have a low flight plane that helps your drive roll out an additional 50 yards. Did you have that same flight plane before the surgery or is that something new post surgery?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I used to swing on a plane that was very close to my body. Now I have to take more of a wide arc. All of my shots would usually fly very high. I still got distance, but very little roll. I also had almost a natural backspin on my short irons. I have an older set of Titleist DCI's that I bought on the cheap back in 98 because someone couldn't hit them. It took a while to get used to, but once I did I was very accurate with them. Now they feel thuddy, and I know it's my swing. I am looking for a set of Sr graphites because my swing speed has reduced dramatically along with my plane...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

GolfNut57

January 12, 2018, 07:13:08 pm #3 Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:24:45 pm by GolfNut57
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 12, 2018, 10:45:13 am
I used to swing on a plane that was very close to my body. Now I have to take more of a wide arc. All of my shots would usually fly very high. I still got distance, but very little roll. I also had almost a natural backspin on my short irons. I have an older set of Titleist DCI's that I bought on the cheap back in 98 because someone couldn't hit them. It took a while to get used to, but once I did I was very accurate with them. Now they feel thuddy, and I know it's my swing. I am looking for a set of Sr graphites because my swing speed has reduced dramatically along with my plane...

Re the bold parts.
1. That tells me you had an upright swing but have since gone to one that is flatter and more around your body. The steeper swing would have the tendency to hit the ball on a higher arc due to the steeper downswing into the ball. Such a swing causes more backspin on the ball, which is why you got very little roll after it landed.
2. A flatter swing will keep the ball lower in flight due to less backspin and more roll once the ball lands. Sounds like yours is getting too flat though if it is only carrying 150 yards minus the roll. You will need to find a happy medium between the two swing planes if you are not going to be able to go back to your previous swing plane.

I used to have a set of DCI's years ago that I had bought off somebody too. I really liked them but when I was ready for a newer set of sticks I sold them to another golfer at the old driving range that used to be just north of Sherwood. Jack Cheney's the guy that ran it.

I'm pretty sure your DCI clubs are stiff flexed and with a low swing speed you would think they are "thuddy" at contact. I don't know that graphite vs steel would help as much as just going to a different flex such as regular or maybe even clubs with Sr flex in them. You can get Sr flex in steel, or so I have been told. I know for me going to a Sr. flex graphite shaft in my driver helped me gain 10-15 yards more off the tee. And I am not a long ball knocker either. But Sr flex in irons? I have never tried them but it sounds like it would mess with your accuracy until you got used to them. Good luck.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hogbud

Anyone (besides Tiger haha) had any luck post major back surgery? I'm too scared to try but miss playing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 12, 2018, 07:13:08 pm
Re the bold parts.
1. That tells me you had an upright swing but have since gone to one that is flatter and more around your body. The steeper swing would have the tendency to hit the ball on a higher arc due to the steeper downswing into the ball. Such a swing causes more backspin on the ball, which is why you got very little roll after it landed.
2. A flatter swing will keep the ball lower in flight due to less backspin and more roll once the ball lands. Sounds like yours is getting too flat though if it is only carrying 150 yards minus the roll. You will need to find a happy medium between the two swing planes if you are not going to be able to go back to your previous swing plane.

I used to have a set of DCI's years ago that I had bought off somebody too. I really liked them but when I was ready for a newer set of sticks I sold them to another golfer at the old driving range that used to be just north of Sherwood. Jack Cheney's the guy that ran it.

I'm pretty sure your DCI clubs are stiff flexed and with a low swing speed you would think they are "thuddy" at contact. I don't know that graphite vs steel would help as much as just going to a different flex such as regular or maybe even clubs with Sr flex in them. You can get Sr flex in steel, or so I have been told. I know for me going to a Sr. flex graphite shaft in my driver helped me gain 10-15 yards more off the tee. And I am not a long ball knocker either. But Sr flex in irons? I have never tried them but it sounds like it would mess with your accuracy until you got used to them. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure you're dead on by both. I used to have amazing club head speed. I do think while I am tinkering I will go with a set of Sr. irons all together. I don't want to try to hit those DCI's differently, because they were a booger to get accuracy with in the beginning anyway.

Quote from: hogbud on January 13, 2018, 09:55:43 am
Anyone (besides Tiger haha) had any luck post major back surgery? I'm too scared to try but miss playing.

My dad had two surgeries and didn't start playing until in his 50's... He's since quit playing at &%, but that's more because he has a new woman in his life and is using his other iron. His 2nd surgery was a disk fusion. Maybe if you eased up on your follow through you would be OK. My Ortho doc who did my shoulder replacement said my body would let me know where to stop...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Oh.. I did have to change my grip the other day and that helped a bunch too. I twisted my right hand to a position where my palm was straight down and my finger nails were facing me. It helped with the offset of my shoulder. I think once I try a new set of irons I may be back down into the high teens with my handicap. Funny how many folks that can beat on a day to day basis...

GolfNut57

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 15, 2018, 03:58:07 pm
Oh.. I did have to change my grip the other day and that helped a bunch too. I twisted my right hand to a position where my palm was straight down and my finger nails were facing me. It helped with the offset of my shoulder. I think once I try a new set of irons I may be back down into the high teens with my handicap. Funny how many folks that can beat on a day to day basis...

Twisted it to where it is on top of the grip or underneath it if you opened your hand?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 15, 2018, 09:18:49 pm
Twisted it to where it is on top of the grip or underneath it if you opened your hand?
Underneath... Like a baseball bat. I should have said it differently above... (Back of my hand down)

GolfNut57

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 17, 2018, 06:22:36 am
Underneath... Like a baseball bat. I should have said it differently above... (Back of my hand down)

Hand on top would be a real weak grip leading to a wide open face at impact, which could lead to the big banana ball. Hand way underneath as you describe would be a real strong grip, which could lead to hooking the ball out the yazoo. At the least as your hands roll through impact it would have the tendency to hood the club face and make you hit the ball on a lower trajectory. Roll your wrists over too aggressively through impact and you will hit a pull hook of legendary proportions.

OneTuskOverTheLine™