Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Afraid Norvell = Stan Heath

Started by Bustahog, December 02, 2017, 07:56:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustahog

Great mid-tier coach but not ready for the P5.  With only being a HC for 2 seasons does he have the connections to bring in a strong DC and compete?

Bubba's Bruisers

If we hire Norvell, then we've moved down the list.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jrulz83

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 07:57:32 pm

I think these dummies kind of had a one name list.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Dropkick

Let's get another guy like Bielema with a lot of experience.........

JONAS

I have a feeling if we don't hire him, we will wish we did on a few years.

Paul

Quote from: Bustahog on December 02, 2017, 07:56:36 pm
Great mid-tier coach but not ready for the P5.  With only being a HC for 2 seasons does he have the connections to bring in a strong DC and compete?
We'll know very quickly if he's ready:  Either we hire him or some other P5 program will & I think we'll regret it

Hawg Life

SooieGeneris

That is a concern of course, but

Kiffin could = Dana Altman

Morris could = Pelphrey and

Gus could = Danny Ford, who actually WON a NC at Clemson before he came here.

Of course, Gus' offense is nothing like Ford's, but the point is he could mail it in like Danny did. I don't think he would, but until someone actually gets the job, there is no way to KNOW.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Wooderson

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 02, 2017, 08:01:50 pm
All the way to #2.

You still confident Hawg Life?  Gus will not be our coach?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Matt Burks

I guess those 4 years that Norvell was a highly successful Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State doesn't count? The Stan Heath comparison is not a comparison at all.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Using history as a way to predict the future is a futile method.

An example I've used on here, probably on this very topic, has been the Russian Revolution.
The people had two options in Trotsky and Stalin. They looked to the French Revolution, how it ended with a despot in Napoleon. They chose Stalin because he appeared the least Napoleon/despot like.

Point being, these types of comparisons are faulty and this post was a waste of time on all of our parts.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

JONAS

Nobody knows if he will work out or not.  I think he is a good hire. 

Bustahog

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 02, 2017, 08:04:01 pm
I guess those 4 years that Norvell was a highly successful Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State doesn't count? The Stan Heath comparison is not a comparison at all.
So I guess an assistant on 3 final four teams and with 1 of those as a NC and being a top 5 up and coming coach is not a comparison?

Hopeful Hog

Matt Burks

Quote from: Bustahog on December 02, 2017, 08:10:07 pm
So I guess an assistant on 3 final four teams and with 1 of those as a NC and being a top 5 up and coming coach is not a comparison?
I was talking about the Stan Heath comparison

RebHog

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 02, 2017, 08:04:01 pm

Ya cause that directly relates to being a head football coach....... op has a point its a crapshoot. He could flame out or be the next Dabo/stoops but at this point its a guessing game.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Wooderson on December 02, 2017, 08:03:02 pm
You still confident Hawg Life?  Gus will not be our coach?

Very confident.

hogfansince79

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

rljjr

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 07:59:21 pm

This. Our track record of not recognizing coaching talent is leading the NCAA.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rljjr on December 02, 2017, 08:14:32 pm
This. Our track record of not recognizing coaching talent is leading the NCAA.

Guaranteed.

Acehawg

BS he's a great coach, maybe better than Gus.  His offense looks better.

JONAS

Just got a text from a Memphis fan.  He said Norvell is staying.  Don't know who told him that.

Acehawg

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 08:18:44 pm
Just got a text from a Memphis fan.  He said Norvell is staying.  Don't know who told him that.

Gus to Arkansas then.  I'm good with it.

Paulsooie

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 07:59:21 pm

I approve this message.
If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

CJ HOG

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 08:18:44 pm
Hopefully it's true.

JONAS

Quote from: Acehawg on December 02, 2017, 08:19:57 pm
Gus to Arkansas then.  I'm good with it.

If we don't get Norvell now, we never will.

Acehawg

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 08:22:30 pm
If we don't get Norvell now, we never will.

He's a better offensive coach than Gus IMO.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Dumb asses need to learn their history. You know how much HC experience Frank had or how old he was?  Bob Stoops?  Mark Richt at GA. Mike Leach at Texas Tech?  Jeff Brohm?  Gus when he went to Auburn? Dan Mullen when MSU hired him? Gary Patterson? Lincoln Riley? Nebraska just hired a guy with 2 years HC experience.  Truly transformative coaches are often young and relatively inexperienced. Not a guarantee but for every stupid Stan Heath reference you throw out I can give many more relevant examples. Stop being ignorant AF
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pig in the Pokey

more like our Era's Frank Broyels.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

farmhawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 07:57:32 pm
Or up depends on how you look at it.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 02, 2017, 08:28:02 pm
Dumb asses need to learn their history. You know how much HC experience Frank had or how old he was?  Bob Stoops?  Mark Richt at GA. Mike Leach at Texas Tech?  Jeff Brohm?  Gus when he went to Auburn? Dan Mullen when MSU hired him? Gary Patterson? Lincoln Riley? Nebraska just hired a guy with 2 years HC experience.  Truly transformative coaches are often young and relatively inexperienced. Not a guarantee but for every stupid Stan Heath reference you throw out I can give many more relevant examples. Stop being ignorant AF
+1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

JONAS

Quote from: farmhawg on December 02, 2017, 08:29:32 pm

If we get Gus, he is here forever.

The_Bionic_Pig

Again... nothing posted on this particular board will have any effect on who assumes the reigns as the next head coach at the University of Arkansas....so take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt and relax.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawginj

Pig in the Pokey

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 02, 2017, 08:31:17 pm
Again... nothing posted on this particular board will have any effect on who assumes the reigns as the next head coach at the University of Arkansas....so take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt and relax.
that part is hard (relax)

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: JimDandy on December 02, 2017, 08:05:39 pm
Using history as a way to predict the future is a futile method.

An example I've used on here, probably on this very topic, has been the Russian Revolution.
The people had two options in Trotsky and Stalin. They looked to the French Revolution, how it ended with a despot in Napoleon. They chose Stalin because he appeared the least Napoleon/despot like.

Point being, these types of comparisons are faulty and this post was a waste of time on all of our parts.

Big +1

Smokehouse

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 02, 2017, 08:02:16 pm
That is a concern of course, but

Kiffin could = Dana Altman

Morris could = Pelphrey and

Gus could = Danny Ford, who actually WON a NC at Clemson before he came here.

Of course, Gus' offense is nothing like Ford's, but the point is he could mail it in like Danny did. I don't think he would, but until someone actually gets the job, there is no way to KNOW.

Yes, and maybe Gus' inability to develop his own QB turns out to be a permanent issue and no good transfers want to come here.

It's all a risk and I'd rather take a shot on Norvell at this point because if Gus bombs it will take longer to get rid of him, and coaches have had longer to see Gus' offense in the SEC.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Laughing Hog

Norvell doesn't put any emphasis on D. Without a dominate D, best we'll probably see is 2nd in the SECW - which is better that the last five years.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Hawginj

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 02, 2017, 08:43:45 pm
he mis spelled J Frank Broyles
i was just sticking to the basketball analogy.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: farmhawg on December 02, 2017, 08:29:32 pm

No way we spend all the money to fire BB and JL to put Norvell top of the list.

donbro

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 02, 2017, 08:48:51 pm
Yes, and maybe Gus' inability to develop his own QB turns out to be a permanent issue and no good transfers want to come here.

It's all a risk and I'd rather take a shot on Norvell at this point because if Gus bombs it will take longer to get rid of him, and coaches have had longer to see Gus' offense in the SEC.
This is why Gus isn't a transformative coach.

jvanhorn

Being afraid is why we are where we are today.  Was OU afraid of Lincoln Riley?  Was Virginia Tech afraid of Fuentes?