Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5/3/1 followers

Started by clutch, September 01, 2014, 10:44:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Just curious what all assistance lifts you add into your program and how many. Mine varies, just wondering what you've had the most luck with.

H&D

I do Boring But Big. So the assistance moves are ten sets of ten of the main lift, somewhere around 50% weight. Anything I do after that is cosmetic, curls and such. I'll just add another 10x10 with something like that.

Mainly biceps, triceps, forearms and calves.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

spe450

Quote from: H&D on September 07, 2014, 12:17:31 pm
I do Boring But Big. So the assistance moves are ten sets of ten of the main lift, somewhere around 50% weight. Anything I do after that is cosmetic, curls and such. I'll just add another 10x10 with something like that.

Mainly biceps, triceps, forearms and calves.

This

H&D

Don't forget hill sprints. I didn't start doing them until almost six months into 5/3/1. I'd pay anything to be able to go back and change that.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on September 07, 2014, 12:54:08 pm
Don't forget hill sprints. I didn't start doing them until almost six months into 5/3/1. I'd pay anything to be able to go back and change that.

I'd pay anything to have a hill to sprint. I'm a flat lander. Literally 50 miles from a hill. I do run up the side of the levee when it's not chigger season and the grass isn't waist high.

H&D

A levee is perfect. A buddy of mine takes his push mower to a levee close to his house. He keeps a strip of it mowed down. Once he explained why he was doing it to the guys from Corps and Game and Fish showed up, they were fine with it. He may or may not spread some stuff to help with bugs also. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

Quote from: H&D on September 07, 2014, 01:55:05 pm
A levee is perfect. A buddy of mine takes his push mower to a levee close to his house. He keeps a strip of it mowed down. Once he explained why he was doing it to the guys from Corps and Game and Fish showed up, they were fine with it. He may or may not spread some stuff to help with bugs also. 

May run out and get me a cheap push mower just for that. Just mowing a small piece of the levee would be a good workout itself.

Hogsmo Kramer

Currently I'm doing 531 rest pause but mainly because I'm limited on time (2 year old and 3 month old) and its a 2 day a week program I've had good success with in the past despite the lower frequency, and it still allows me to get some hill sprints or sled drags in a least once a week on an off day.

I've done several different variations of 531 and usually follow the prescribed assistance movements that are laid out.

That said though I always throw in something for the "yoke" like cleans, snatch grip high pulls, or any number of variations of shrugs along with some neck work. I also do a healthy dose of face pulls, band pull aparts, etc. to balance out the pressing I do as well.

Lately I've also been throwing in kettlebell swings where I can fit them in since I just came off the 10,000 kettlebell challenge by Dan John which I saw awesome results with and became a true believer in the benefits they offer to the posterior chain, body composition, and grip.

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogfly

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 07, 2014, 07:25:50 pm
Currently I'm doing 531 rest pause but mainly because I'm limited on time (2 year old and 3 month old) and its a 2 day a week program I've had good success with in the past despite the lower frequency, and it still allows me to get some hill sprints or sled drags in a least once a week on an off day.

I've done several different variations of 531 and usually follow the prescribed assistance movements that are laid out.

That said though I always throw in something for the "yoke" like cleans, snatch grip high pulls, or any number of variations of shrugs along with some neck work. I also do a healthy dose of face pulls, band pull aparts, etc. to balance out the pressing I do as well.

Lately I've also been throwing in kettlebell swings where I can fit them in since I just came off the 10,000 kettlebell challenge by Dan John which I saw awesome results with and became a true believer in the benefits they offer to the posterior chain, body composition, and grip.

I'm going to have to look into the 531 rest pause program, as 2 days (with some occasional swings, snatches, and sprints at home) is about all I can manage right now as well. My wife hogs our morning gym time while I lay in bed with the kids asleep, and by the time I can work out after work... well... you know how it goes... life gets in the way. I'd rather my wife work out anyway, as it keeps her both sane and sexy.

I've just kind of been focusing hard on making sure I get my deads in 2-3 days a week with my other major lifts in as well, but I haven't really stuck to a specific program. I'm just kind of on maintenance at this point, which is fine.

Anyway, I need to check out the 10k kb challenge as well. I was a HUGE kb devotee 6 years ago or so, but I just kind of use them as supplemental these days. They're a lot of fun, though.

Hogfly

Oh,

And if anyone is in NWA and has an interest in kettlebells, do yourself a favor and hook up with Derek Miller at Ballistic Fitness. He is a freaking beast, and the best trainer I've ever worked with. RKC and SFG certified.

But he also loves to pull some serious weight. 605x5:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=673890302681544&set=vb.112471488823431&type=2&theater

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 07, 2014, 07:25:50 pm

When you did the kb challenge was that all you did or did you do another program with it? Been thinking about giving it a try. Looks like if you do it right you are too taxed to do anything else.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on September 07, 2014, 09:18:37 pm
When you did the kb challenge was that all you did or did you do another program with it? Been thinking about giving it a try. Looks like if you do it right you are too taxed to do anything else.

I reluctantly did it on it's own but in the end was glad I did.

As long as you're not under belled it's pretty demanding and a great change of pace.

The reason I say "reluctantly" is because I was scared to lose strength and size but I was admittedly a bit banged up from months of heavy lifting so for me it was perfect timing and a good break for my joints and body from chasing PR's.

I did however lose a little strength, as to be expected, but nothing major. I also lost 12 pounds and slimmed down quite a bit through the midsection so it was well worth the sacrifice.

Heck when we went to the beach even my wife complemented me on how I was looking and she doesn't typically give them out very often.

Anyway I'm back to 531 now but I'll definitely keep kettlebells in my routine and the challenge in my rotation of programs when I feel like I need a break from the heavy stuff.

Hogsmo Kramer

One more thing that was awesome about the challenge is you can do the kettlebell workouts almost anywhere.

I took my kettlebell to Destin with me and did handstand push-ups for the presses, used a chair next to the bed (to suspend my feet) for dips, and did pull-ups on the walkway on the beach using the wooden rails (early in the morning of course when no one was out there).

I really didn't have any problem following it even though I was traveling a lot and would just sub a similar exercise for what's prescribed if I was traveling and one kettlebell was easy to transport.

Anyway it's a really good program and I highly recommend it.

clutch

I think I'm about to try it. I've been meaning to order some KBs for the school gym anyways. This seems like a good excuse to order some. I'll start the offseason baseball players on the program too while I'm at it I think. Sounds like it should be great for core strength.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on September 08, 2014, 12:34:10 pm
I think I'm about to try it. I've been meaning to order some KBs for the school gym anyways. This seems like a good excuse to order some. I'll start the offseason baseball players on the program too while I'm at it I think. Sounds like it should be great for core strength.

I was surprised I liked it as much as I did and how much it effected my physique in a positive manner.

It also increased my work capacity by quite a bit even outside the gym with just regular semi-strenuous activities.

The first day I did 500 swings along with the pull-ups I thought WTH have I gotten into but by the end what was taking me round 40-45 minutes to complete I was doing in 25-30 minutes with a heavier bell and more external weight added for the pull-ups.

Another thing I loved, and why I love 531, was the simplicity. It was straightforward and simple to follow and I find that refreshing with any program.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you like it.

(Oh and one more thing use chalk if you can because it can be rough on your hands from all the swings. I tore several calluses along the way.)

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 08, 2014, 03:34:42 pm
I was surprised I liked it as much as I did and how much it effected my physique in a positive manner.

It also increased my work capacity by quite a bit even outside the gym with just regular semi-strenuous activities.

The first day I did 500 swings along with the pull-ups I thought WTH have I gotten into but by the end what was taking me round 40-45 minutes to complete I was doing in 25-30 minutes with a heavier bell and more external weight added for the pull-ups.

Another thing I loved, and why I love 531, was the simplicity. It was straightforward and simple to follow and I find that refreshing with any program.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you like it.

(Oh and one more thing use chalk if you can because it can be rough on your hands from all the swings. I tore several calluses along the way.)

I'm the same way. Keep it simple and I'm happy

H&D

Hogsmo, I did 10,000 KB Swing workout this morning.........damn. I thought my grip strength was pretty good, that last set I'm not sure how I was holding on. I couldn't feel my hands, well other than the throbbing sensation. I might just kick this thing off.  I had just finished a "body building" cycle and had planned on another cycle of 5/3/1, but I don't know.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: H&D on September 09, 2014, 05:58:23 am
Hogsmo, I did 10,000 KB Swing workout this morning.........damn. I thought my grip strength was pretty good, that last set I'm not sure how I was holding on. I couldn't feel my hands, well other than the throbbing sensation. I might just kick this thing off.  I had just finished a "body building" cycle and had planned on another cycle of 5/3/1, but I don't know.

Lol I know man there were times I thought I was gonna lose my grip and fling the bell across the garage into my gym mirror.  :o

Would have been some definite explaining to do to the wife had that happened but thankfully it didn't.

Those sets of 50 especially towards the end are rough!

Anyway it gets way better and a lot easier as it goes on and your grip gets used to it.

Good luck though if you give it a shot I found it to be a rather fun challenge and one I'll definitely do again.

clutch

Did day 1 of the 10k KB challenge today. My grip is shot. I think if nothing else, I need this for grip related purposes. My grip/forearms suck and I have a hard time getting them to respond to anything. This set them both on fire by the end.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on September 09, 2014, 10:36:05 pm
Did day 1 of the 10k KB challenge today. My grip is shot. I think if nothing else, I need this for grip related purposes. My grip/forearms suck and I have a hard time getting them to respond to anything. This set them both on fire by the end.

Don't feel bad I was the same way it's kind of a shock at first for sure.

My glutes, hams, and upper back always got sore the next day too from the swings but of course more so at the beginning.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 09, 2014, 11:15:41 pm
Don't feel bad I was the same way it's kind of a shock at first for sure.

My glutes, hams, and upper back always got sore the next day too from the swings but of course more so at the beginning.

Yeah I'm feeling it on those areas this morning. My glutes got really  tight last night so I knew they'd be sore.

The thing that shocked me last night was how much my biceps burned. Wasn't really expecting it to feel much there.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on September 10, 2014, 07:07:04 am
Yeah I'm feeling it on those areas this morning. My glutes got really  tight last night so I knew they'd be sore.

The thing that shocked me last night was how much my biceps burned. Wasn't really expecting it to feel much there.

I agree I got it there too along with the rear delts and of course the brachioradialis.

Heck I'm not even on the challenge any more but I still threw in 150 swings yesterday after my 531 rest pause session as a finisher.

I love them and will definitely keep them in my routine to some extent from here on.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 10, 2014, 09:24:22 am
I agree I got it there too along with the rear delts and of course the brachioradialis.

Heck I'm not even on the challenge any more but I still threw in 150 swings yesterday after my 531 rest pause session as a finisher.

I love them and will definitely keep them in my routine to some extent from here on.

I used to do them all the time but for some reason got away from them. I never did such high reps though. Great exercise.