Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is Knile Davis considered 3rd best back in SEC?

Started by Tigaman, June 15, 2011, 12:10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigaman

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/23775/ranking-the-sec-running-backs

In Chris Low's blog post, he puts Knile Davis as the 3rd best. He is not the only one. It seems almost universal that Knile Davis is in a class lower than Richardson and Lattimore. I think part of it is that both were considered the best running back in their respective recruiting classes and that this hype is carrying over.

RedSoxFan

i think alot of the reasoning behind that is the inexperince overall from the o-line...

hogfan446

You did see spring practice didn't you?  I am a little worried about Knile, I won't sugar coat it.

A Hogwork Orange

Hopefully Knile sees everyone doubting him and still underestimating him, and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I hope he comes out and just destroys both Lattimore and Richardson in terms of performance on the field and shows once and for all that he is the best RB in the SEC. And i have no doubt in my mind that that is exactly what he will do.

hogfan14

A lot of people think he benefited from our passing game last year

Divot

I love Knile, he's a great, but both Lattimore and Richardson are the real deal.

After Knile, there's a definite drop off in my opinion. So it's a good thing that Knile is brought up with those 2. He's considered 1 of the 3 Elite SEC RB's by many......which is awesome because we can pass now too. :)

Jek Tono Porkins

Knile had over a hundred more yards than Lattimore and almost 2 more yards per carry. In addition:

1) Knile didn't start get a lot of carries until halfway through the season. Lattimore was the starter for the cocks the entire time.

2) South Carolina played one more game than Arkansas and Knile still had more yards at the end of the season.

Knile Davis is a better running back than Marcus Lattimore.

Quote from: hogfan14 on June 15, 2011, 12:25:40 pm
Well yeah, he did. That's called having a balanced offense. If we're going to go that route, Darren McFadden was the best college back of all time because he had NO passing game to benefit from.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Lips

Quote from: A Hogwork Orange on June 15, 2011, 12:15:59 pm
Hopefully Knile sees everyone doubting him and still underestimating him, and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I hope he comes out and just destroys both Lattimore and Richardson in terms of performance on the field and shows once and for all that he is the best RB in the SEC. And i have no doubt in my mind that that is exactly what he will do.

Since when is being the third rated RB in the SEC being doubted and underestimated?  Just a couple of years ago, he may have been the third best RB on the Hogs.

A Hogwork Orange

Quote from: Sugashane86 on June 15, 2011, 12:43:14 pm

Since when is being the third rated RB in the SEC being doubted and underestimated?  Just a couple of years ago, he may have been the third best RB on the Hogs.

Since he had the most yards with 4 less games and is still not considered the best.

WildHawg

The only thing that keeps me from saying Knile, and TW for that matter, are bound to have massive seasons is their body of work isn't that big.  They both did HUGE things and were amazing at times on the field but Knile really only come to for around 7 games last season and Tyler had less than 2 games worth of real season football. 

People look and wonder why Knile wasn't a beast from the get-go or why he struggled in spring ball.  So it's probably just a wait and see approach, which isn't bad...remember when a small minority of other SEC fans questioned if Terry Grant from Bama was better than DMac the 1st half of the 2007 season?  Well that's what can happen when you jump the gun based off a small amount of games.

No doubt KD was great last year but he and Trent Richardson did it with a balanced offense and strong O-line.  Lattimore didn't have NFL type lineman or a consistent passing game plus he did it all game long, all season.  I think all 3 are great RBs with similar styles and all three will succeed, hopefully Knile will let his play show who the best is this season.

uams1989

C'mon guys.  He had a half a season where he was great.  Before some smarta$$ posts his SEC leading stats, he didn't perform the whole season.

TR gets the notareity because he has proven himself time and time again and with having to share a backfield with a Heisman winner.  Davis, if at Bama, would have had very similar numbers to TR.

Whether any of us like it or not, Lattimore proved he was the real deal as a true freshman, last year.  You can't argue with his performance, so, it is only expected that he will be even better this year.

Even as a Bammer, if Lattimore were a junior, I think he would be rated above TR.

My point is that it is not a knock on Davis, at all, to be ranked third, but, don't give me this crap that it's only because he wasn't as highly touted coming out of high school.  He'll get his chance to prove it this year.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

A Hogwork Orange

Quote from: WildHawg on June 15, 2011, 12:46:45 pm
The only thing that keeps me from saying Knile, and TW for that matter, are bound to have massive seasons is their body of work isn't that big.  They both did HUGE things and were amazing at times on the field but Knile really only come to for around 7 games last season and Tyler had less than 2 games worth of real season football. 

People look and wonder why Knile wasn't a beast from the get-go or why he struggled in spring ball.  So it's probably just a wait and see approach, which isn't bad...remember when a small minority of other SEC fans questioned if Terry Grant from Bama was better than DMac the 1st half of the 2007 season?  Well that's what can happen when you jump the gun based off a small amount of games.

No doubt KD was great last year but he and Trent Richardson did it with a balanced offense and strong O-line.  Lattimore didn't have NFL type lineman or a consistent passing game plus he did it all game long, all season.  I think all 3 are great RBs with similar styles and all three will succeed, hopefully Knile will let his play show who the best is this season.

I understand that completely, my train of thought is just that with Petrino's offensive skills and the fact that Knile has gained weight, gotten stronger, and gotten faster, i have a hard time believing he will be stopped on a consistent enough basis that he will not have the biggest year.

Also, for those pointing to the spring game..IMO, two reasons for the lack of a running attack was 1. The shuffling of the O-line to get a better feel for who might start and 2. Robert Thomas. I watched a couple of practices and every time they tried to run the ball up the middle, Thomas would completely stuff it up and the RBs would have no where to go. That guy is a beast in the middle.

Quote from: uams1989 on June 15, 2011, 12:52:36 pm
C'mon guys.  He had a half a season where he was great.  Before some smarta$$ posts his SEC leading stats, he didn't perform the whole season.

TR gets the notareity because he has proven himself time and time again and with having to share a backfield with a Heisman winner.  Davis, if at Bama, would have had very similar numbers to TR.

Whether any of us like it or not, Lattimore proved he was the real deal as a true freshman, last year.  You can't argue with his performance, so, it is only expected that he will be even better this year.

Even as a Bammer, if Lattimore were a junior, I think he would be rated above TR.

My point is that it is not a knock on Davis, at all, to be ranked third, but, don't give me this crap that it's only because he wasn't as highly touted coming out of high school.  He'll get his chance to prove it this year.

The only reason the first half wasnt great is cause he didnt get the carries, his average was the exact same for the first half and second half of that season.

silence_of_the_hogs

If stats are what make you a great player then everyone should be a QB at Texas Tech and Hawaii.  Sometimes you have to look past your back yard and realize it's the utilization and system COMBINED with talent that make a player.

uams1989

Quote from: A Hogwork Orange on June 15, 2011, 12:54:21 pm
I understand that completely, my train of thought is just that with Petrino's offensive skills and the fact that Knile has gained weight, gotten stronger, and gotten faster, i have a hard time believing he will be stopped on a consistent enough basis that he will not have the biggest year.

So, you don't think a new OL will have any affect on Davis' numbers?  It doesn't matter how much of a Superman he is (or you think he is) if he doesn't have a strong OL to block against SEC defenses, he might not have the biggest year.  He's not all that to the point that he is head and shoulders above everybody else in the SEC.  He's one of the top 3 RBs in the SEC which if you put behind a good OL, any can be fantastic backs.

He doesn't compare to McFadden or even Jones.  Not saying TR will, but, I suspect Lattimore will be considered by everyone but Hog fans to be in the same breath when it's all said and done.

bphi11ips

Knile Davis hasn't proven himself to be an every down back who can carry an offense against a top tier SEC defense.  Lattimore and Richardson have come closer to looking like that back than Davis.  Ironically, Davis's greater average per carry feeds the perception he is not an every down back.  Davis was not touched on several 60 and 70 yard runs last year.  Petrino credited Mallett leading up to the draft with making some great reads on running plays. 

Davis hits the hole quickly and runs north and south.  So far, he hasn't shown himself to be a shifty or overpowering runner.  That's about it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RAF

Quote from: uams1989 on June 15, 2011, 12:52:36 pm

And his half a great season was better than everyone else's full season, statistically speaking.

hogfan14

Quote from: uams1989 on June 15, 2011, 01:01:41 pm
So, you don't think a new OL will have any affect on Davis' numbers?  It doesn't matter how much of a Superman he is (or you think he is) if he doesn't have a strong OL to block against SEC defenses, he might not have the biggest year.  He's not all that to the point that he is head and shoulders above everybody else in the SEC.  He's one of the top 3 RBs in the SEC which if you put behind a good OL, any can be fantastic backs.

He doesn't compare to McFadden or even Jones.  Not saying TR will, but, I suspect Lattimore will be considered by everyone but Hog fans to be in the same breath when it's all said and done.

See i dont get all the hype on lattimore. If you give anyone the ball enough they will get yardage...if knile got as many carries as he got last season he could have reached 2,000 yards

Comparing him to the 2nd leading rusher in SEC history is a bit much

uams1989

Quote from: hogfan14 on June 15, 2011, 01:13:40 pm
See i dont get all the hype on lattimore. If you give anyone the ball enough they will get yardage...if knile got as many carries as he got last season he could have reached 2,000 yards

Comparing him to the 2nd leading rusher in SEC history is a bit much

Then...Why didn't Petrino give him the ball that much?  If Petrino is the offensive mind everyone thinks he is, I have a hard time believing he or the staff didn't know what they had.

The post above that references the checkoffs by Mallett and the long runs that padded his YPC make the most sense.

uams1989

Quote from: NolanForAD on June 15, 2011, 01:17:33 pm
Just guessing, but its probably due to what he SAID:

To have a guy coming off a 1,322-yard season No. 3 on this list tells you how good the running backs are in this league.

Its not an insult to rank our guy 3d best in the SEC and no one has said he's not in the same class as Richardson and Lattimore.

This.

IronHog

Quote from: uams1989 on June 15, 2011, 01:01:41 pm

Lattimore doesn't have the burst to be mentioned in the same breath as Darren McFadden.

Williams, Ingram, Richardson, Lattimore etc. are/were all great backs.

But until I see them go up the gut for 80 vs LSU or off tackle vs GA when the entire defensive backfield has the angle on them they'll be just another all SEC running back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AZl7ctJI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV3KngSynSs

That's a bad SOB right there.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I love Knile to death but i think Wingo pulls a Knile Davis this year and emerges this year.
So awsome to have two 230lb backs with sub 4.3 speed......and then there is Dennis Johnson!!! The wrecking ball!!!!

hogfan14

Quote from: uams1989 on June 15, 2011, 01:20:12 pm
Then...Why didn't Petrino give him the ball that much?  If Petrino is the offensive mind everyone thinks he is, I have a hard time believing he or the staff didn't know what they had.

The post above that references the checkoffs by Mallett and the long runs that padded his YPC make the most sense.

I dont think anyone expected broderick green to be so underwhelming. Obviously we passed more than we ran so he wasnt going to be getting 40 carries or anything...against auburn we were forced to pass because we were down most of the game. Once we got our leads later in the year we rode him more for the win

IronHog

Quote from: uams1989 on June 15, 2011, 01:20:12 pm

BP dropped the ball on that one.  He's good, not perfect.

Go back and watch the film of Ark v Bama last year................he shredded Bama like everyone else but didn't get the ball nearly enough.

IronHog

Quote from: NolanForAD on June 15, 2011, 01:42:33 pm
And that was about the time Davis really started turning it on.  It's not a situation like when Nutt failed to play McFadden and Jones against Vandy.  Davis started putting it all together.  When he did he got the ball.

Kinda.

We've still seen situations where BP was going to give the ball to  BG at all costs when DJ was obviously much more explosive and more effective running the ball.

BP runs a pro style program and he isn't going to dumb things down or make excuses for players. 

speckr

I think Lattimore is a great back as is Richardson and Davis. Personally I would give the edge to Davis over Lattimore. I see the arguments made for Lattimore about the lack of quality blocking, inconsistent passing game, and someone also commented about how well he did all game long and he did it for the whole season.

But, if you take schedule into account it kind of negates a little of that. Florida and UGA both perennial powerhouses in the East were both way down this year. Lattimore's two biggest games of the year came against them (212, 184 yards rushing respectively). They also had Tennessee, Vandy, and Kentucky (which was a loss), all of which if memory serves me about the same caliber as Ole Miss this year in terms of competition. They also played So. Miss, Furman, Clemson, and finally Florida State (-1 rushing) in their bowl game in which he averaged 49.5 yards per game over those 4 games. He combined for 117 yards in the two games he played Auburn, had 93 yards against Alabama, and had 30 against us, got hurt I believe.

Guess what I am saying is Arkansas may have provided Knile better blocking but they had to do it against better competition throughout the season.

FANONTHEHILL

I am a huge Knile Davis fan.  That said, I feel he is either 2A or 2B in the SEC with Lattimore.  As much as we don't want to admit it, the best back in the SEC is most likely going to be #3 from Bama.  Richardson in my opinion has been the best back on the Tide even when Ingram was the starter.  Knile is great, but I don't think anyone else in the conference is on a par with Richardson.  Also remember he will be the feature back while they develop a QB.  Lots of carries and lots of stats early in the year to pad his numbers.  We know that Tyler will come out throwing and we won't be running 75-80% of the time like Bama will be.  Knile is great, but Richardson is still in the lead.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

BigPapaHawg

Let's just wait to see were he is ranked at the end of the season.

WPS!!!!!!
WOO PIG

Prosciutto

Quote from: hogfan14 on June 15, 2011, 12:25:40 pm

So last year he was a product of the system? And Mallett was a product of the system?

Sounds like a hell of a system!

daBoar

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 15, 2011, 04:37:16 pm
I am a huge Knile Davis fan.  .......the best back in the SEC is most likely going to be #3 from Bama.  Richardson in my opinion has been the best back on the Tide
(1)  Knile played for the Hogs, behind erstwhile pedestrian linemen.
(2)  The Hogs didn't get it going until Knile got it going.
(3)  Knile led the SEC in yards per carry, not that guy at Bama, nor the dude at USC
(4)  Knile led the SEC runnng backs in total yards, while not starting until game 7
(5)  Knile got a ton of yards, while the Hogs best WR was out injured.

batman15

Does hogville forget what Trent Richardson did to our defense 2 years ago??

Does hogville forget what Trent Richardson did in the National championship??

Does hogville forget just how big, strong, and fast Trent Richardson is??

RAF

Quote from: batman15 on June 15, 2011, 08:28:36 pm

Does turtle forget that it's 2011, not 2009?  Get a calendar, brah.

batman15

Quote from: dxf04 on June 15, 2011, 08:30:59 pm
Does turtle forget that it's 2011, not 2009?  Get a calendar, brah.

Lol u mad. Trent Richardson could start at any school in the country, even here.

Hey Super

i stopped freaking out about articles like these because i have a lot of faith that Knile will let his play do the talking. he was so consistent last year once he got the carries and i just dont see that going away. i guess what im saying is that all these ill informed writers will see come game time and then i whole heartedly believe their opinions will change
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: batman15 on June 15, 2011, 08:28:36 pm

Does hogville forget about how big of an idiot you are? Nope.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

batman15

Quote from: ReddieHawg on June 15, 2011, 08:52:32 pm
Does hogville forget about how big of an idiot you are? Nope.

So you're just a blind homer, thanks for clearing that up.

Hogs run wild

1. Davis - I'm a homer, and he did lead ALL sec running backs last year
2. Lattimore - what he did as a true freshman was pretty awesome, 1,200 rushing yard
3. Richardson - freak of a specimen, hurt some last year, has yet to reach 1000 yards in a year
My 2 pesos.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

bennyl08

Name                    Speed                 Workout warrior                    OL                   Supporting Cast
Davis                       1                              2                                 2                           1
Lattimore                  3                              2                                3                            3
Richardson                2                              1                                 1                           2

Hence, Lattimore has the fewest advantages and has an entire season of 100% effort. The games he didn't play in or was injured seemed to the games that he was hurt. That's what he means to the team.
Richardson: has the smallest body of work, but has been very efficient, and is just a freak of a human being which always get's people talking. Also on a team that loves to run, so he will get a ton of exposure (i.e. in a similar situation that TW is in, in terms of game style).
Davis: Doesn't have a full season of 100%, but has produced the most in the least time. That said, we have a massive aerial assault that takes a lot of pressure off of him. He get's 5 yards of rushing before the LB's are there, unlike the other two.

All three are great and I'm just happy to be in the conversation. Don't be afraid to give other teams credit. These two are great backs. Andrew Luck is a great QB and Broyles and Blackmon are great WR's.   
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HoopS

Davis wasn't picking up his blocking well enough early on, if memory serves.   As that improved, he got more snaps. 

Iwastherein1969

Knile is 6'0" and a rock solid 230 lbs with speed to spare....he is more shifty than Richardson and just as fast in the 40 yds.....Trent Richardson is 5'11" and is 220 lbs who ran behind a better O line than did Knile....as of right now, based on past performances, i'd much rather have Knile Davis....if some of you guys want to buy into the hype machine about the Crimson Tide so be it....juxtapose the two players, do you think a relatively inexperienced RB who has split carries in his career would be considered the better RB if he were a Razorback ?  again, place the accomplishments and stats of Knile Davis and put him on the Crimson Tide team then take the stats and accomplishments of Trent Richardson and put him on the Hog roster, which guy gets the most love by the media ?   I think we know the answer
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

A Hogwork Orange

Quote from: batman15 on June 15, 2011, 08:35:05 pm
Lol u mad. Trent Richardson could start at any school in the country, even here.

He would be behind Davis just like he was behind Ingram. He just isnt consistent enough right now.

Cure

Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgXwTF-ZSi4&feature=player_embedded#at=638

A lot of positives and he does have a tremendous upside(great vision). He has to improve on hitting the right holes and his pass blocking, but I've heard nothing but good reviews on him from all of the media. Thankfully, he got half a season as a starter and can only improve with the film and CBP

Thought you all might enjoy. WPS! :razorback:
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Hoggish1

Quote from: A Hogwork Orange on June 15, 2011, 12:15:59 pm
Hopefully Knile sees everyone doubting him and still underestimating him, and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

The O-line needs to play with a chip on their shoulder, not Knile...

IronHog

Quote from: Cure on June 18, 2011, 07:02:15 pm
Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgXwTF-ZSi4&feature=player_embedded#at=638

A lot of positives and he does have a tremendous upside(great vision). He has to improve on hitting the right holes and his pass blocking, but I've heard nothing but good reviews on him from all of the media. Thankfully, he got half a season as a starter and can only improve with the film and CBP

Thought you all might enjoy. WPS! :razorback:

That is a good video.  Davis is a true feature back...runs hard, has great vision, can catch a pass, constantly pressuring the defense to not give up a big play.

His pass blocking is the biggest thing.  On about half the negative running plays they listed there was little room to run.

When he learns to cut and accelerate up field a little quicker and be a more physical blocker he'll be even more effective.

RAF

Quote from: batman15 on June 15, 2011, 08:35:05 pm
Not mad, sistah.  I've just got this medical condition that makes me call out people who act like giant douchecanoe twatwaffles on a regular basis.  It's serious business.

redeye

If Richardson or Lattimore played for Arkansas, and Davis played for Alabama, does anyone think that Davis would still be considered the 3rd best RB? I can't see it.