Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 10:07:57 pm

AIRBORNE

Started by vol_in_ar, January 14, 2007, 07:42:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vol_in_ar

THE PARATROOPERS

After the security of childhood, and the insecurity of a second childhood. we find the paratroopers.  Paratroopers are found everywhere; in bars, on bars, behind bars, in trouble, in debt, in planes, in the air, in trees, on, leave, in love and A.W.O.L.  Paratroopers are also found in assorted sizes, colors, weight, and states of soberness, misery and confusion.

Girls love them, mothers worry about them, little boys worship them, and the Army tries to support them. 
A Paratrooper is a master with a deck of cards, a millionaire without a cent, bravery with a grin, and a protector of his country with the lateset issue of Playboy in his pocket at all times. 

A Paratrooper is a composite; he has the energy of a turtle, slyness of a fox, the brains of an idiot, the sincerity of a liar, the appetite of a elephant, the aspirations of a Casanova, and the story of a hero.

A Paratrooper always wants something.  Usually a date, a drink, a three day pass, someone to pull his K.P., or extra duty, and to jump from a Huey at 5000 feet.  He dislikes answering letters, Saturday inspections, getting up for reveille, army chow, his girls old man, most civilians, all legs, army planes, Air Force Reserve pilots, and the week before pay day.  He likes girls, ladies, women and alcohol in any form.  No one can write so seldom, yet think of you so often.  No one can get so much fun out of your letters, civilian clothes, sex magazines, weekends, and breaking things.

A Paratrooper is a magical creature, you can lock him out of your house, but not your heart.  You can take him off your mailing list, but not off your mind.

vol_in_ar

I post this so we can keep the soldiers and paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne in our thoughts as they ready for another deployment to Iraq...

Godspeed.

Ftsmithmike

And the 101st. God Bless.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

vol_in_ar

We're you at Ft Campbell?

I've spent alot of time at the Blackhorse Pub and Brewery in Clarksville..

Ftsmithmike

The black horse Ale is almost worth driving up there for. And the best brick oven pizza ever. I wonder if that cute waitress who wears all the glitter is still there. I may just make the trip this summer if gas stays under three. Yeah I was with the 86TH Cash. My wife was with the 38th at bragg. Both are great divisions.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

vol_in_ar

Glad you liked the Blackhorse, I was never stationed at Ft Campbell, but my brother-in law and sister were, I was with the 507th at Bragg.

mword

I've bungee jumped off the Royal Gorge in Colorado - does that count?

vol_in_ar

It's close, I bungee jumped twice
Once in Frankfurt, then in Copenhagen

Ragnar Hogbrok

I know this is an old thread, but to keep the Airborne brotherhood alive:  I was in the 82nd Airborne for 3 1/2 years.  Jumping was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  But, I sure do miss it. 
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

icuno2

September 28, 2008, 07:45:35 pm #9 Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:48:38 pm by icuno2
My daughter is in the 82nd, she made E-5 about 9 months ago and called yesterday and was afraid to tell me that she just reinlisted..(Thought I would be mad).. I'M so proud of her but, so afraid for her at the same time...

P.S.
Her unit is deploying to Afghanistan in Febuary or March..
Please keep them all in your prayers

God bless all you service men and women!!!

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: vol_in_ar on January 14, 2007, 07:42:35 am
THE PARATROOPERS

After the security of childhood, and the insecurity of a second childhood. we find the paratroopers.  Paratroopers are found everywhere; in bars, on bars, behind bars, in trouble, in debt, in planes, in the air, in trees, on, leave, in love and A.W.O.L.  Paratroopers are also found in assorted sizes, colors, weight, and states of soberness, misery and confusion.

Girls love them, mothers worry about them, little boys worship them, and the Army tries to support them. 
A Paratrooper is a master with a deck of cards, a millionaire without a cent, bravery with a grin, and a protector of his country with the lateset issue of Playboy in his pocket at all times. 

A Paratrooper is a composite; he has the energy of a turtle, slyness of a fox, the brains of an idiot, the sincerity of a liar, the appetite of a elephant, the aspirations of a Casanova, and the story of a hero.

A Paratrooper always wants something.  Usually a date, a drink, a three day pass, someone to pull his K.P., or extra duty, and to jump from a Huey at 5000 feet.  He dislikes answering letters, Saturday inspections, getting up for reveille, army chow, his girls old man, most civilians, all legs, army planes, Air Force Reserve pilots, and the week before pay day.  He likes girls, ladies, women and alcohol in any form.  No one can write so seldom, yet think of you so often.  No one can get so much fun out of your letters, civilian clothes, sex magazines, weekends, and breaking things.

A Paratrooper is a magical creature, you can lock him out of your house, but not your heart.  You can take him off your mailing list, but not off your mind.
whats that tune that goes along with them...."I wanna be an Airborne Ranger.....I wanna live the life of danger!"?
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

vol_in_ar

hogginbama

Quote from: icuno2 on September 28, 2008, 07:45:35 pm
My daughter is in the 82nd, she made E-5 about 9 months ago and called yesterday and was afraid to tell me that she just reinlisted..(Thought I would be mad).. I'M so proud of her but, so afraid for her at the same time...

P.S.
Her unit is deploying to Afghanistan in Febuary or March..
Please keep them all in your prayers

God bless all you service men and women!!!

If you would kindly pass on the message that my prayers, thoughts and support are with your daughter and her unit, it would be greatly appreciated. This old soldier is extremely proud of all these young soldiers are doing these days.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hoghelmet14

Quote from: hogginbama on October 03, 2008, 11:08:36 pm
If you would kindly pass on the message that my prayers, thoughts and support are with your daughter and her unit, it would be greatly appreciated. This old soldier is extremely proud of all these young soldiers are doing these days.

me too... God Bless all our Troops!.. they are in our prayers
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: wocraig on April 14, 2008, 01:29:49 pm
I know this is an old thread, but to keep the Airborne brotherhood alive:  I was in the 82nd Airborne for 3 1/2 years.  Jumping was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  But, I sure do miss it. 

I was never in the 82nd as I was an armor officer.  I did go to Airborne School and snowbirded there for a while waiting to go to Pathfinder school.  I am not a five jump chump though, as I made a couple of jumps while snowbirding and three in Pathfinder .  A couple of them out of that bird in your avatar.  AIRBORNE!!

Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

BlackKnightHogFan

Oops, I did not jump out of the bird in your avatar.  Thought that was a Blackhawk not an Apache.  My jumps were out of a Blackhawk.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on November 19, 2008, 04:10:05 pm
Oops, I did not jump out of the bird in your avatar.  Thought that was a Blackhawk not an Apache.

Word.  You better recognize! :)
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: wocraig on November 19, 2008, 04:52:16 pm
Word.  You better recognize! :)

They all looked the same in a thermal sight.  8)

vol_in_ar

Jumps from a Chopper were always cake...
nice and easy

vol_in_ar

Quote from: wocraig on April 14, 2008, 01:29:49 pm

The worst for me was afterjumping having trot your ass all over those DZ's, to a rally point, then ending up in a cattle car, going back to main post

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: vol_in_ar on November 22, 2008, 04:07:35 pm
The worst for me was afterjumping having trot your ass all over those DZ's, to a rally point, then ending up in a cattle car, going back to main post

Or having to road march back to Ardennes street from Sicily DZ.

vol_in_ar

felixjonesfan

i can honestly say the guys who love jumping out of planes i owe them a salute and a meal. the thought of jumping out of a airplane even with a parachute is something i would never have the courage to do. i am so scared of heights.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: felixjonesfan on March 21, 2009, 03:08:16 pm
i can honestly say the guys who love jumping out of planes i owe them a salute and a meal. the thought of jumping out of a airplane even with a parachute is something i would never have the courage to do. i am so scared of heights.

no worries on the fear of heights
until your out of the aircraft, you don't know how high you really are

felixjonesfan

That's just insane.

vol_in_ar

razorbacker231

March 26, 2009, 10:26:19 pm #26 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:32:46 pm by razorbacker231
Quote from: wocraig on November 22, 2008, 06:58:48 pm
Or having to road march back to Ardennes street from Sicily DZ.

a couple buddies and i actually made that ruck by ourselves on a weekend from 782nd barracks and back just because we thought we would be whooa.  not as long as it seems.  18.5m round trip.  that said, still not as good an idea as it seemed when we started.  lol

Quoteit's awesome

yessir.  i was actually a rigger.  i gave the airborne their wings.  paid off one time too.  got pulled over on post doing about 50 in a 35.  airborne mp saw my rigger card in my wallet when i whipped out the id.  he straight up told me he loved us and thats why he let me go.   ha.

as for the jumps, the blackhawks and shinhooks hands down...nothing like it.  especially the blackhawk.  for those that have not had the honor,  you just sit on the edge, feet hanging off the side.  you know its time to jump when the jumpmaster hits you on the head.  lean over and into the abyss. just the best hands down...

felixjonesfan

That's incredible. Someone has to rig them I guess. Better trust me man who is rigging your parachute.

Ragnar Hogbrok

felixjonesfan

It takes someone without a fear of heights that's for sure.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: felixjonesfan on March 27, 2009, 04:55:57 pm
It takes someone without a fear of heights that's for sure.

I personally knew a lot of guys that were scared of heights and still jumped.  The consequences of being a jump-refusal while the aircraft was in the air just weren't worth not jumping.  Besides, all you really had to do was get to the door with enough momentum to lead you out.  Airspeed and gravity did the rest.

felixjonesfan

Good luck with that.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: wocraig on March 27, 2009, 06:54:19 pm
I personally knew a lot of guys that were scared of heights and still jumped.  The consequences of being a jump-refusal while the aircraft was in the air just weren't worth not jumping.  Besides, all you really had to do was get to the door with enough momentum to lead you out.  Airspeed and gravity did the rest.

Ditto, scared to death of heights but all you had to do was get close to the door and you would be sucked out...easy.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: razorbacker231 on March 26, 2009, 10:26:19 pm
a couple buddies and i actually made that ruck by ourselves on a weekend from 782nd barracks and back just because we thought we would be whooa.  not as long as it seems.  18.5m round trip.  that said, still not as good an idea as it seemed when we started.  lol

yessir.  i was actually a rigger.  i gave the airborne their wings.  paid off one time too.  got pulled over on post doing about 50 in a 35.  airborne mp saw my rigger card in my wallet when i whipped out the id.  he straight up told me he loved us and thats why he let me go.   ha.

as for the jumps, the blackhawks and shinhooks hands down...nothing like it.  especially the blackhawk.  for those that have not had the honor,  you just sit on the edge, feet hanging off the side.  you know its time to jump when the jumpmaster hits you on the head.  lean over and into the abyss. just the best hands down...

I've still got one of those Rigger cards in my checkbook

beat after that you just drove around with your red cap in the car