Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Hudson to annouce on Friday (Basketball)

Started by -Blu, October 01, 2013, 10:53:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Looks like it's between us and VA Tech, we'll know if he'll be a hog or not on Friday.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/oct/01/hogs-or-hokies-hudson/?f=recruiting

Thanks for update RD.

Hawg Red

Not sure how I should feel about if we'll get him or not. We're in the top 2, but VaTech got the most recent visit.

This could be a toss-up.

I think he's a player with decent upside that seems to have come on late in terms of interested drawn this summer.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2013, 10:34:07 am
Not sure how I should feel about if we'll get him or not. We're in the top 2, but VaTech got the most recent visit.
This could be a toss-up.

I think he's a player with decent upside that seems to have come on late in terms of interested drawn this summer.

and he's a Virginia native

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on October 02, 2013, 11:04:52 am
and he's a Virginia native

This is true. Maybe the bond between dad and Watkins is strong.

This is a kid I'd like to have but won't really sweat not getting. We've gotten all the kids I really wanted for 2014 already. Hudson would be icing on the cake.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2013, 10:34:07 am

This could be a toss-up.

IMO this will be like the Seagears situation, we're clearly a better overall basketball program, but playing time and distance could be the determining factor.  We'll get to really see what his priorities are based on his decision.  If he is wanting to get on a competitive basketball team and compete for playing time, and he's not worried about distance then we are the clear choice.  If he's looking to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting spot right away and be close to home then he'll choice VA Tech.  Nothing wrong with either choice just depends on what he's looking for.

Also, this is just a hunch but I assume if we don't get Hudson we'll go full force on getting Carlos Morris.  We're in his top 3 and he hasn't setup a visit yet, I'm assuming the reason for this is because we're waiting to see what happens with Hudson.

-Blu

Also FWIW as of this morning 2 more recruiting analyst on 247 sports just projected Hudson to choose Arkansas.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Hudson-24810

The Recruiting Guy

-Blu

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 02, 2013, 11:25:59 am
Distance is the biggest issue here.

Sounds like your not feeling to good about our chances with us being so far away.  I kinda agree,  it's going to be hard for him to turn down playing in his home state, I know it would be for me if I was in the situation. 

Swinesong1

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 02, 2013, 11:25:59 am
Distance is the biggest issue here.
Well OH (where he currently goes to school) ain't exactly around the corner from VA (his home state).

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

razorhead94

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorhead94 on October 02, 2013, 03:20:41 pm
5 of 5 analysts pick Arkansas on 247 sports

- Otis Kirk (Arkansas writer)
- Andrew Slater (Duke (?) writer)
- Zach Fleer (Ohio State writer)
- Corey Evans (Director - Roundball Rundown Report)
- Brian Flinn (National Recruiting Analyst - Future 150)

Couple of national guys and an Ohio guy. That looks good for us, but RD's tone was borderline pessimistic. We'll see.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2013, 03:32:49 pm
- Otis Kirk (Arkansas writer)
- Andrew Slater (Duke (?) writer)
- Zach Fleer (Ohio State writer)
- Corey Evans (Director - Roundball Rundown Report)
- Brian Flinn (National Recruiting Analyst - Future 150)

Couple of national guys and an Ohio guy. That looks good for us, but RD's tone was borderline pessimistic. We'll see.

I feel a little better now that Brain Flinn has projected in our favor.  I usually like the odds when him or Jerry Meyer make a pick.  The other guys pick records aren't so great and I don't know much about them.  But I do know, Otis Kirk the Arkansas guy has said in the past he really doesn't make picks unless he feels somewhat comfortable with them, can't remember his exact words but it was something along those lines.

-Blu

Quote from: razorhead94 on October 02, 2013, 03:20:41 pm
5 of 5 analysts pick Arkansas on 247 sports

Looks like Corey Evans changed his mind, he has now picked VT.  Also, another analyst has made a pick and picked VT as well.  So now it's 4 Analyst for Arkansas and 2 for VT, however 2 of the Arkansas picks are older, and was right after his visit here, not sure if they still stand behind those picks or not.

Also poked on a VT fourm to see what their feelings are, and most feel he is a for sure get for them.  Seems to be good friends with Raymon Minor, who is a football recruit that most believe will be attending VT.  They both visited on the same weekend.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on October 03, 2013, 10:22:59 pm
Looks like Corey Evans changed his mind, he has now picked VT.  Also, another analyst has made a pick and picked VT as well.  So now it's 4 Analyst for Arkansas and 2 for VT, however 2 of the Arkansas picks are older, and was right after his visit here, not sure if they still stand behind those picks or not.

Also poked on a VT fourm to see what their feelings are, and most feel he is a for sure get for them.  Seems to be good friends with Raymon Minor, who is a football recruit that most believe will be attending VT.  They both visited on the same weekend.

Sounds about right. Lines up with the vibe RD and Danny West are giving off.

On to the next one if we don't get Hudson.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 03, 2013, 10:28:37 pm
Sounds about right. Lines up with the vibe RD and Danny West are giving off.

On to the next one if we don't get Hudson.

Yep, I'm assuming we'll hear about a Carlos Morris visit after this. Assuming, he hasn't already gone gun ho for the Gophers.  I also wonder who else the staff has had as a backup plan, I'm assuming if we don't get Hudson we'll start seeing a few more names surface.

outlawhogeywells

-Blu

Announcement is suppose to be at 4:00, but not looking good for us at all.  In less than 24 hours that crystal ball has went from 100% Arkansas 5 out of 5, to now 57% VT and 43% Arkansas, with 2 analyst changing their picks.  I'm assuming with everyone coming out and making/changing picks all of the sudden, some kind of info leaked to them that is in VTs favor.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Hudson-24810

UNCLE BACK

UNCLE BACK

Hawg Red

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 04, 2013, 01:48:14 pm
Looks about like Rickey Scott to me...

Rickey Scott was a good-looking prospect coming out of HS.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 04, 2013, 01:54:10 pm
Rickey Scott was a good-looking prospect coming out of HS.
That he was, he was a top defensive recruit...

Hawg Red

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 04, 2013, 02:40:47 pm
That he was, he was a top defensive recruit...

Maybe he'll put it all together for us in his final year.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 04, 2013, 02:49:52 pm
Maybe he'll put it all together for us in his final year.
I've been saying to look out for he and Wade b/c seniors usually play with a newfound intensity.
He's still been good on defense and he shot the 3 well but other than that Scott just hasn't found his game here. No excuse for being such a bad free throw shooter.

Razorpigg

Absolutely nothing against Mr. Hudson, but this is not a can't miss recruit.  We will be ok if he decides on VT.

Stang1970

Quote from: Razorpigg on October 04, 2013, 03:36:44 pm
Absolutely nothing against Mr. Hudson, but this is not a can't miss recruit.  We will be ok if he decides on VT.

And what scouting service do you work for?  :)

Razorpigg

Quote from: Stang1970 on October 04, 2013, 03:59:10 pm
And what scouting service do you work for?  :)

None. But Ive watched his tape.  Good player, but we have 3 of him already on the team.  That is why I said he is not for us a cant miss recruit.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Razorpigg on October 04, 2013, 04:01:38 pm
None. But Ive watched his tape.  Good player, but we have 3 of him already on the team.  That is why I said he is not for us a cant miss recruit.
Which "three of them" will be on the team in 2014 (Hudson's arrival)?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Razorpigg on October 04, 2013, 04:01:38 pm
Michigan fans probably said the same thing about 3 star Trey Burke a few years ago. Hudson has upside and I like that he's 6'5.

Btw, I guess he's going to milk this today for as many followers as possible? It's 430 and nada

Razorpigg

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 04:25:51 pm
Michigan fans probably said the same thing about 3 star Trey Burke a few years ago. Hudson has upside and I like that he's 6'5.

Btw, I guess he's going to milk this today for as many followers as possible? It's 430 and nada

When I posted my comment, the very first thing I said was "Nothing at all against Mr. Hudson".  I know he is a good player and would be a good player for us if he were to choose to come here.  My only point was, because I know how this place can get, that if he chooses to go elsewhere its not a huge loss to us. That's all.  Nothing against his ability now or in the future.

Also, yes, it seems that they milk it for all its worth.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Razorpigg on October 04, 2013, 04:32:28 pm
When I posted my comment, the very first thing I said was "Nothing at all against Mr. Hudson".  I know he is a good player and would be a good player for us if he were to choose to come here.  My only point was, because I know how this place can get, that if he chooses to go elsewhere its not a huge loss to us. That's all.  Nothing against his ability now or in the future.

Also, yes, it seems that they milk it for all its worth.
Oh I know what you mean, when we miss on recruits ppl immediately start blaming the coach and saying we definitely won't be winners like this, etc etc. I didn't take offense to it at all, I was just saying you never know what you'll get until they make it to campus and start playing. Especially if he adds weight and presumably gets stronger.

jry04

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 04:25:51 pm

He didn't say he was announcing at 4. He is calling both coaches at 4. Doubt it was as simple as "hey coach, I am coming." "Hey coach, I am not coming." Specifically the coach who gets his commitment.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: jry04 on October 04, 2013, 04:42:40 pm
He didn't say he was announcing at 4. He is calling both coaches at 4. Doubt it was as simple as "hey coach, I am coming." "Hey coach, I am not coming." Specifically the coach who gets his commitment.
I'm well aware, but the call to the coach that doesn't get his commitment probably lasts 1 minute. And I doubt he's talking to the one that does for 45 minutes. It's a good way to get more followers. I think his have risen over 200 in the last couple hours.

jry04

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 04:44:36 pm
I'm well aware, but the call to the coach that doesn't get his commitment probably lasts 1 minute. And I doubt he's talking to the one that does for 45 minutes. It's a good way to get more followers. I think his have risen over 200 in the last couple hours.
My mistake. I should have joined in on the pessimistic attitude that consumes Hogville. There is always some sort of ulterior motive to everything that happens.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: jry04 on October 04, 2013, 04:54:26 pm
My mistake. I should have joined in on the pessimistic attitude that consumes Hogville. There is always some sort of ulterior motive to everything that happens.
So now by your theory he's been chatting for an hour now. I'm hoping he's asking Coach A about his favorite recipe for fruit salad about right now.

Don't be one of those posters that thinks realism is being negative. Go back and look at all recruits we've gotten who announced on twitter and let me know how many were at least 30 mins late. Happens pretty much every time.

jry04

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 05:02:13 pm
So now by your theory he's been chatting for an hour now. I'm hoping he's asking Coach A about his favorite recipe for fruit salad about right now.

Don't be one of those posters that thinks realism is being negative. Go back and look at all recruits we've gotten who announced on twitter and let me know how many were at least 30 mins late. Happens pretty much every time.

Again, my mistake. Since I don't have some sort of conspiracy I am not being real. I understand that now.

scruf

Quote from: jry04 on October 04, 2013, 04:54:26 pm

Yeah man, haven't you heard? If they are considering Arkansas and any other school then they aren't choosing the Hogs. Then if they do act pleasantly surprised and yell pig sooie because we got lucky but then he probably won't qualify or the other schools must have backed off because the player has issues. Make sure to reiterate your suspicions the first time the player misses a shot/drops a pass/misses a tackle/turns the ball over by saying I told you so and throwing your adult beverage at the TV.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: jry04 on October 04, 2013, 05:03:50 pm
Again, my mistake. Since I don't have some sort of conspiracy I am not being real. I understand that now.
Why is that having a conspiracy? Do you like overreacting much?
That's like saying that musicians come out a bit late for concerts on purpose is simply a conspiracy theory.
Relax a little, he's either late on purpose like 95+% of recruits or he's still asking about one of the coaches favorite recipe for fruit salad. One of the two, no one really knows.

jry04

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 05:08:19 pm
Why is that having a conspiracy? Do you like overreacting much?
That's like saying that musicians come out a bit late for concerts on purpose is simply a conspiracy theory.
Relax a little, he's either late on purpose like 95+% of recruits or he's still asking about one of the coaches favorite recipe for fruit salad. One of the two, no one really knows.
Yeah, those are THE ONLY 2 options. Nothing else could possibly be a reason. NOTHING

Swinesong1

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 04, 2013, 05:16:13 pm
And yet another topic gets derailed!
It's fun to own someone who overreacts. Swine I've enjoyed watching you own ppl like jry on here a time or two.
Meanwhile, it's closing in on 530 and according to jry and his infinite wisdom Jalen is simply casually chatting with the coaches.

Swinesong1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 05:23:11 pm
It's fun to own someone who overreacts. Swine I've enjoyed watching you own ppl like jry on here a time or two.
Meanwhile, it's closing in on 530 and according to jry and his infinite wisdom Jalen is simply casually chatting with the coaches.
I hope this means good news for us!  The thing is, I don't know where Anderson goes if Hudson pledges to VA Tech.  Does he just hold the schollie for 2015 class, hope for a decommit or a transfer?

jry04

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 05:23:11 pm
Yeah man, you really owned me. How will I ever be able to show my face in public again? Keep in mind, I offered a suggestion as well. Never said I was correct, but was offering up other reasons that it could be delayed. Not everything is a conspiracy. Again, you are right. He has delayed it by 1 hour and 40 minutes in order to gain a few extra twitter followers, knowing he will lose half of them as soon as he announces.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 04, 2013, 05:36:08 pm
I hope this means good news for us!  The thing is, I don't know where Anderson goes if Hudson pledges to VA Tech.  Does he just hold the schollie for 2015 class, hope for a decommit or a transfer?
I personally would rather hold it until 2015 if he choose Va Tech. Whether Hudson commits or not, I still don't get the trouble we've had recruiting guards under MA?
In fact, I'd say this staff has recruited big men really well and guards not at all. It's puzzling?

Swinesong1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 04, 2013, 05:38:57 pm
I personally would rather hold it until 2015 if he choose Va Tech. Whether Hudson commits or not, I still don't get the trouble we've had recruiting guards under MA?
In fact, I'd say this staff has recruited big men really well and guards not at all. It's puzzling?
When he was hired, I worried it would be the other way around.  Puzzling indeed.

Swinesong1

I can go to bed now.  No announcement coming until after weekend.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 04, 2013, 05:50:05 pm
I can go to bed now.  No announcement coming until after weekend.
He and MA must have LOTS to talk about on the phone then! Lol

Where did you see that?

Razorpigg

Duke must have came in at the last minute lol

jry04

Committed to VT. Unfortunate. Looked like a solid player.

Guess he reached his goal for twitter followers sooner than he expected.