Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs' 2017-18 sked starting to look like the best in many, many years ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, May 03, 2017, 12:51:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Just a few OOC (out of conference) matchups that we know about, but they look good. And the SEC, which was vastly underrated last year, will be stronger.

Let's look at it ...

* Nike PK80 in Portland, OR (celebrating Phil Knight's 80th birthday) is a loaded 16-team field that will be split into two, 8-team tourney formats. Will be played Nov. 23-25, and each team is guaranteed 3 games. Two teams from each of the 6 big conferences, and teams from same leagues are sent to separate brackets ... sooooo ... Hogs will be matched up with 1) Duke or UNC from the ACC, 2) Michigan State or Ohio State of Big Ten, 3) Texas or OU from Big XII, 4) Butler or Georgetown of the Big East, 5) Oregon or Stanford of the Pac-12, 6) Gonzaga or Portland from WCC, 7) UConn or Portland St. We can assume that Portland and Portland St will be in different brackets, so the other 7 teams in each bracket are legit. Florida is the other SEC team in the field, and the Gators will play in the bracket opposite the Hogs.

* Minnesota in Fayetteville. This is starting to look like a really good matchup. Pitino Jr. turned that program around in a year, keeping the Gophers in the RPI Top 25 all year last season while getting them to the Dance. They've done a solid job recruiting and will bring a good team to Fayetteville. This could end being the Hogs' best OOC home matchup since Syracuse a few years back, UNLESS ...

* What if Hogs' SEC-Big XII Challenge matchup, which rotates to Faytteville in the coming season, ends up being Baylor or West Virginia? Those teams (plus Iowa State) finished tied at 12-6 in Big XII last season, similar to Hogs and SCar tying for 3rd in SEC at 12-6. Typically, these games are set up to match teams with similar resumes (from previous year and projecting to next season). Hogs played at ISU 3 years ago, home vs. TTech 2 years ago, at OKSt last year, plus Hogs played Texas at neutral site and will see OU or Texas at PK80 in November. Don't see Hogs being matched up with Kansas ... so guessing here, but if not Baylor or WVirginia, they might meet KState or TCU.

* Houston at Toyota Center on Dec. 2, and per Jon Rothstein, this will be the 2nd game in a multi-year series. I like this. Old SWC rivals. Kelvin Sampson is a proven coach. Houston won 21 games last year to finish 3rd in the AAC, which is a respectable mid-major league.

* Those are just the few OOC games we know about. Total of 6 games that are effectively set, and Hogs can play total of 13 OOC, so you just hope they sked the other 7 with some good mid-majors and maybe sneak in one more sexy matchup, although I doubt they go crazy based on what they've done historically with scheduling. Talk of Memphis scheduling with Hogs ... I think it would be huge for Arkansas-Memphis to be an annual battle, alternating between Verizon Arena in LR and FedEx Forum in Memphis. Just a thought.

* SEC ... next season is when I think national perception of league strength starts to shift in a good way, and the Hogs have some big-time games at home and away ...

* Kentucky plays at BWA. The Hogs-'Cats have only had home-and-away in the same regular season ONCE -- '13-'14 when the Hogs swept both games in OT thrillers. Not sure when these two are set to resume a home-and-away on the league rotation, but shame on the SEC for not making that a permanent arrangement! 'Cats and Hogs are the 2 winningest SEC teams over the past 3 seasons, so the Hogs need to win at home to get to 4-5 vs. the 'Cats going back to '12-'13 (would make Hogs 4-3 vs. KY in regular-season in that span).

* Missouri is permanent home-and-away, and the Tigers will go from bottom-feeders to one of the most talented teams in the league, basically over night. When Mizzou was still good, the Hogs were building under MA. And since MA has turned things around at Arkansas, Mizzou fell off a cliff. All of a sudden, next year's home-and-away has significance. This series could become one of the best in the SEC.

* Texas A&M is another permanent home-and-away, and the Aggies will be picked among the Top 3-4 teams in the league next season. They've recruited well under Billy Kennedy, and they will give Hogs two NCAAT-resume-building opportunities.

* LSU is also a permanent home-and-away, and the Tigers will be rebuilding. Hogs need to seize the opportunity to sweep.

* Hogs should get Florida at home and play at Vandy. Should get Tennessee at home and play at MSSt.

* Not sure which 2 of these teams will play Hogs home-and-away next season -- KY, Ole Miss, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina -- but Hogs will play this grouping of 6 teams a total of 8 games. Hogs get KY, SCar, and Auburn at home if not home-and-away. Hogs get Ole Miss, Georgia, and Bama on the road if not home-and-away.

SUMMARY: I see the Hogs' toughest schedule in many, many years just with what we know today. It could get even better.

gmarv

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 01:19:00 am
Could very well not make the tourney.

Certainly depends on returning players, but everyone back? I doubt it. This schedule is so strong we would make the Dance with 19, 20 wins similar to Vanderbilt this past season. If we remain competitive, our RPI should be stout throughout the season.

Hawg Red

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 03, 2017, 07:48:44 am
Certainly depends on returning players, but everyone back? I doubt it. This schedule is so strong we would make the Dance with 19, 20 wins similar to Vanderbilt this past season. If we remain competitive, our RPI should be stout throughout the season.
Yeah, our RPI and SOS would be through the roof. Having Minnesota, UK, Florida, and a Big 12 school at home would make for a great home schedule, too. Need everyone back though. If either of our two guards decide to leave I think the schedule is too tough, and we probably finish closer to .500. Mike has said he planned on playing elite competition the next few years because he expects it to be two of our better teams, but that is assuming everyone stays who is supposed to.

The_Iceman

Quote from: gmarv on May 03, 2017, 07:48:33 am
Or maybe we will only need 19 wins like Vandy had this year ???

There are still basketball ignorant people that think number of wins is what gets you in the tournament. Basketball isn't football.

In football, you want as many wins as possible. In basketball, you want to play as many good teams as possible.

Hog Fan...DOH!

hawgmasta

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 03, 2017, 08:31:51 am
There are still basketball ignorant people that think number of wins is what gets you in the tournament. Basketball isn't football.

In football, you want as many wins as possible. In basketball, you want to play as many good teams as possible.

Good point; don't they even consider close losses against a high RPI team a plus?

Kevin McPherson

Under the current RPI/SOS system used by the NCAAT selection committee, you'd think 19 to 20 wins against that schedule (absent of bad losses with some quality wins) would be enough to get in. Still interested to see what tweaks are made in the new selection "metric" that is expected to be developed in time for '17-'18 to replace the current RPI/SOS formula.

Can't imagine it will be wildly different, and if the Hogs continue their home winning ways and continue to show they can win away from home, they'll be fine.

hogsanity

I agree, with the schedule posed by the OP, 19 might be enough to get in, the question is would they even get to 19, especially if Macon and/or Barford leave?  Could go 0 for the pk80, lose the big12 matchup. MN is not going to be easy either. That could be 5 ooc loses.  OR could be 3-5 really really good wins too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jborohog09

Also starting a home-and-home with Colorado State at BWA.  They have a solid program. 

NWAHog479

Quote from: Jborohog09 on May 04, 2017, 11:52:38 am
Also starting a home-and-home with Colorado State at BWA.  They have a solid program.

DOOBIE JENKINS!

jry04

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 04:35:21 pm
Arkansas' schedule does not look that stout, but clearly it should be improved which will help the team in many ways.  The Nike PK80 ought to be fun to watch.

Curious though if HOGdayafternoon would share opinions on the rest of the OOC schedule...
Does not look that stout? Our non-conference alone probably features at least 5 top 50 opponents. Then you throw in our conference schedule which will undoubtedly be improved by playing UK twice, UF, a much improved Missouri and A&M twice, plus Alabama and Miss State adding their recruits with what they already return. A minimum of 1/3 of our opponents on our schedule will be top 50 teams under the current format.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jry04 on May 04, 2017, 04:50:16 pm
Does not look that stout? Our non-conference alone probably features at least 5 top 50 opponents. Then you throw in our conference schedule which will undoubtedly be improved by playing UK twice, UF, a much improved Missouri and A&M twice, plus Alabama and Miss State adding their recruits with what they already return. A minimum of 1/3 of our opponents on our schedule will be top 50 teams under the current format.

He said last year 25 might not get us in the NCAAt despite the fact that would have required us to have 11+ top 100 wins

jry04

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 09:01:48 pm
Vandy's 2016 schedule was really good - it ended the year as the toughest SOS in college basketball - and was a factor in their getting a NCAA bid.  That's the kind of leverage you want a team to have come tournament bid time. 

I am saying the upcoming schedule for Arkansas is not -that- good, but it is so much better than where they were a few seasons ago - it is definitely moving in the right direction and I hope it continues if for no other reason than to give basketball fans games (opponents) that peak fan interest. 
Vandy had the #1 SOS. Nobody is claiming we will have the #1 SOS. If you are basing whether our schedule is good or not on how Vandy scheduled, then you are crazy.

If you want to compare, Vandy played 5 top 50 opponents in non-conference, with 3 being top 25. Minnesota, 2 or 3 in Portland, and our Big 12 matchup will put us at a minimum of 4, but possibly 5 top 50 opponents, with 3-4 of them probably being top 25. That is not even including the mid-majors we schedule who have a chance to win their league and finish top 50 like UT Arlington did last year. The SEC had 5 top 50 teams last year, but teams like Bama, A&M, Auburn, Missouri, and Mississippi State will be much better and likely around the top 50. I think we can both agree our schedule next year appears to be better than what it was this year, and we finished with a SOS of 46. Missouri improving alone will help drastically, because that will be 2 less 200+ RPI games that we would have had to play. We played 5 200+ games last year, and Missouri counted for 2 of them at 257. Just keep our schedule the same, but bump Missouri in the top 100 and our SOS changes to a top 30 SOS and our RPI jumps to about 20. That is how big a difference it makes, and realistically could have determined 1-2 seeds.

HF#1

Could be a year where we make all our hay in conference rather than out of conference. Would be nice to pick up a win or two in that Nike tournament.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jry04

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 05, 2017, 10:07:30 am
Did you see GMarv's comment earlier in the thread?  That is what I was following up on....I was attempting to compliment the powers that be at Arkansas for stepping up their OOC schedule and like Vanderbilt did last year, Arkansas should enjoy more collateral benefits from an improved schedule. 

I do agree with your point(s) about the conference improvement as well if the SEC (as a whole) improves as it seems they are primed to do.  That too will certainly help Arkansas. 

It also may be the case the SEC's conference RPI could break above the 5 slot they finished in last year.  The immediate future for SEC basketball is as bright as it has been in quite some time.
Got it, so a misunderstanding. You are saying Arkansas' schedule is stout, but not as stout as Vanderbilt's. Depending on the improvement in the SEC and the draw of Portland, I still think it could get pretty close to being a top 10 type schedule, though.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 04:35:21 pm
Arkansas' schedule does not look that stout, but clearly it should be improved which will help the team in many ways.  The Nike PK80 ought to be fun to watch.

Curious though if HOGdayafternoon would share opinions on the rest of the OOC schedule...

Just saw this, so just now responding ... and I already gave my thoughts in the OP, BUT ...

Although roughly half of the OOC is unknown (including not knowing yet which teams Arkansas will draw in Portland), it's reasonable to project at least 2 quality high-major opponents at PK80 plus MN plus a good Big XII team -- just those factors combined suggest an improvement over what Hogs usually face in their OOC skeds. When you add road game against RPI Top 50ish Houston, plus an expected improved SEC slate, it's not too early to suggest this will be the Hogs' best overall sked in a long time.

NoogaHog

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 03, 2017, 12:51:29 am
Just a few OOC (out of conference) matchups that we know about, but they look good. And the SEC, which was vastly underrated last year, will be stronger.

Let's look at it ...

* Nike PK80 in Portland, OR (celebrating Phil Knight's 80th birthday) is a loaded 16-team field that will be split into two, 8-team tourney formats. Will be played Nov. 23-25, and each team is guaranteed 3 games. Two teams from each of the 6 big conferences, and teams from same leagues are sent to separate brackets ... sooooo ... Hogs will be matched up with 1) Duke or UNC from the ACC, 2) Michigan State or Ohio State of Big Ten, 3) Texas or OU from Big XII, 4) Butler or Georgetown of the Big East, 5) Oregon or Stanford of the Pac-12, 6) Gonzaga or Portland from WCC, 7) UConn or Portland St. We can assume that Portland and Portland St will be in different brackets, so the other 7 teams in each bracket are legit. Florida is the other SEC team in the field, and the Gators will play in the bracket opposite the Hogs.

So what I hear you saying is that we are playing UNC in the second round.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NoogaHog on May 05, 2017, 02:47:21 pm
So what I hear you saying is that we are playing UNC in the second round.

Haha, it's possible. Last 3 times Hogs played UNC, it was the 3rd round of NCAAT (First 4 / play-in games count as round 1, then the 64-team field begins play in round 2).

passinghog

AND WE HAVE 2 DOGS IN THE BACKCOURT COMING BACK TO GO GET THAT BACON!

SONofHAM

Do we know for sure the UK game will be in Fayetteville?  Has it been established that each year the teams will alternate home court? 

All I could find on this:

While the number of conference games each team plays, 18, will not change the setup for the schedules has changed. In total each team will play five opponents both home and away with three of those being "permanent" opponents that they'll see twice a year every season. They'll face the other eight teams on the schedule just once, with four of those games being home contests and four coming on the road.

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: SONofHAM on May 09, 2017, 08:08:34 pm
Do we know for sure the UK game will be in Fayetteville?  Has it been established that each year the teams will alternate home court? 

All I could find on this:

While the number of conference games each team plays, 18, will not change the setup for the schedules has changed. In total each team will play five opponents both home and away with three of those being "permanent" opponents that they'll see twice a year every season. They'll face the other eight teams on the schedule just once, with four of those games being home contests and four coming on the road.

Yes, Hogs will either have Kentucky at home, or home-and-away. In either instance, they get KY in Fayetteville.

hobhog

So we are guaranteed 3 games in the Nike Pk80? Is that 3 games in 3 days?!....

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hobhog on May 09, 2017, 11:05:12 pm

If that is the case, it favors us. We have the depth. Get past that first game and we might win the thing.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hobhog on May 09, 2017, 11:05:12 pm

My understanding is it's treated like the Maui Invt'l and other events = 3 games in 3 days guaranteed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 10, 2017, 11:42:32 am
If that is the case, it favors us. We have the depth. Get past that first game and we might win the thing.
I just want that North Carolina rematch.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 03, 2017, 12:51:29 am

Let's look at it ...

* Minnesota in Fayetteville. This is starting to look like a really good matchup. Pitino Jr. turned that program around in a year, keeping the Gophers in the RPI Top 25 all year last season while getting them to the Dance. They've done a solid job recruiting and will bring a good team to Fayetteville. This could end being the Hogs' best OOC home matchup since Syracuse a few years back, UNLESS ...

* What if Hogs' SEC-Big XII Challenge matchup, which rotates to Faytteville in the coming season, ends up being Baylor or West Virginia? Those teams (plus Iowa State) finished tied at 12-6 in Big XII last season, similar to Hogs and SCar tying for 3rd in SEC at 12-6. Typically, these games are set up to match teams with similar resumes (from previous year and projecting to next season). Hogs played at ISU 3 years ago, home vs. TTech 2 years ago, at OKSt last year, plus Hogs played Texas at neutral site and will see OU or Texas at PK80 in November. Don't see Hogs being matched up with Kansas ... so guessing here, but if not Baylor or WVirginia, they might meet KState or TCU.

* Houston at Toyota Center on Dec. 2, and per Jon Rothstein, this will be the 2nd game in a multi-year series. I like this. Old SWC rivals. Kelvin Sampson is a proven coach. Houston won 21 games last year to finish 3rd in the AAC, which is a respectable mid-major league.

* Those are just the few OOC games we know about. Total of 6 games that are effectively set, and Hogs can play total of 13 OOC, so you just hope they sked the other 7 with some good mid-majors and maybe sneak in one more sexy matchup, although I doubt they go crazy based on what they've done historically with scheduling. Talk of Memphis scheduling with Hogs ... I think it would be huge for Arkansas-Memphis to be an annual battle, alternating between Verizon Arena in LR and FedEx Forum in Memphis. Just a thought.

* SEC ... next season is when I think national perception of league strength starts to shift in a good way, and the Hogs have some big-time games at home and away ...

* Kentucky plays at BWA. The Hogs-'Cats have only had home-and-away in the same regular season ONCE -- '13-'14 when the Hogs swept both games in OT thrillers. Not sure when these two are set to resume a home-and-away on the league rotation, but shame on the SEC for not making that a permanent arrangement! 'Cats and Hogs are the 2 winningest SEC teams over the past 3 seasons, so the Hogs need to win at home to get to 4-5 vs. the 'Cats going back to '12-'13 (would make Hogs 4-3 vs. KY in regular-season in that span).

* Missouri is permanent home-and-away, and the Tigers will go from bottom-feeders to one of the most talented teams in the league, basically over night. When Mizzou was still good, the Hogs were building under MA. And since MA has turned things around at Arkansas, Mizzou fell off a cliff. All of a sudden, next year's home-and-away has significance. This series could become one of the best in the SEC.

* Texas A&M is another permanent home-and-away, and the Aggies will be picked among the Top 3-4 teams in the league next season. They've recruited well under Billy Kennedy, and they will give Hogs two NCAAT-resume-building opportunities.

* LSU is also a permanent home-and-away, and the Tigers will be rebuilding. Hogs need to seize the opportunity to sweep.

* Hogs should get Florida at home and play at Vandy. Should get Tennessee at home and play at MSSt.

* Not sure which 2 of these teams will play Hogs home-and-away next season -- KY, Ole Miss, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina -- but Hogs will play this grouping of 6 teams a total of 8 games. Hogs get KY, SCar, and Auburn at home if not home-and-away. Hogs get Ole Miss, Georgia, and Bama on the road if not home-and-away.

SUMMARY: I see the Hogs' toughest schedule in many, many years just with what we know today. It could get even better.

SEC released league matchups and locations (but not dates) today. The only thing I got wrong (see above) was Florida and Vandy. And it's crazy! Hogs will play at Fla (on the road) for the 4th consecutive season (with only 1 home game in the same span)! Conversely, Hogs get Vandy at home for the 4th straight season w/only 1 road game.

Seems like a mistake, because the home-and-away is supposed to be equitable after a 3-year rotation of games the way it was designed (home 1 year, away 1 year, home-&-away 1 year = 2 home, 2 road games in consecutive 3-year span).

Anyway, here are the details courtesy of arkansasrazorbacks.com ... http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/loaded-sec-slate-coming-to-bud-walton-arena/#sm.000h8760v14znfjmz022fmiytzghe

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 01, 2017, 11:39:32 am
Hogs will play at Fla (on the road) for the 4th consecutive season (with only 1 home game in the same span)!

I'm ready to send some nasty emails to the SEC office, anybody with me?
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

FineAsSwine

Quote from: azhog10 on June 01, 2017, 01:29:31 pm
It sure aint right

I was really looking forward to seeing us have them at least in a home and home.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin McPherson

Big-time sked in '17-18 ...

Home games (12 so far) ...

* Minnesota ... Top 25 RPI/NCAAT last year, ranked No. 15 by ESPN way-too-early poll for '17-18 and a 4-seed in way-too-early Bracketology.
* Oklahoma State ... NCAAT last year, not projected to top half of Big XII next season, really surprised Hogs got hosed with this as their return home game in the Challenge.
* Colorado State ... 24-win team last season.
* Kentucky ... will be no worse than a Top 5-10 projection for next season, hopefully the 'Cats live up to it and make this a mega-matchup.
* Vandy ... NCAAT team last year, respected coach in 2nd season had a solid recruiting year, and Lunardi projects as a 9-seed in his way-too-early Bracketology ... 'Dores destroyed Hogs in BWA last season.
* Texas A&M ... will be picked in the Top 5 in the SEC, ranked Top 25 by Fox Sports way-too-early poll, surprised Lunardi left TAMU out of his way-too-early Bracketology.
* Missouri ... already being talked about as a potential Top 25 -- ESPN.com writer has Tigers No. 25 -- possible NCAAT team next season?
* South Carolina ... Final 4 last year, but they lose a lot in the starting lineup including SEC POY
* Auburn ... will be better, not sure if NCAAT better but maybe ... always a fun game to watch, though.
* Ole Miss ... always a 20-win team on the bubble, usually a tough matchup at home for Hogs, and Ole Miss will have one of the best backcourts in the SEC.
* Tennessee ... overachieved for 2/3s of season last year with a strong RPI, but tailed off late. Vols will be a good team, but maybe not NCAAT good.
* LSU ... rebuilding

Neutral games (3 so far) ...

* Oklahoma at PK80 ... Sooners projected as a 10-seed by Lunardi in his way-too-early Bracketology. Lon Kruger teams always play well and hang tough in games against Arkansas (going back to his rebuild at Florida when Nolan was rollin' at UA). This sets up to be a tight game.
* North Carolina or Portland at PK80 ... A win over OU means a rematch with UNC, a loss to OU means an unwanted matchup against Portland.
* Michigan State (will be Top 5 in preseason), Oregon, G'town, or UConn at PK80 ... obviously, it benefits the Hogs most to get an MSU or Oregon matchup on the resume, but G'town and UConn at a neutral site won't hurt the resume, either.

Road games (10 so far) ...

* Houston at Toyota Center in December ... Houston was a 20-plus-win, RPI Top 50ish, AAC Top 3 team last season, and the Cougars will be a good non-con opponent again in '17-18.
* Florida ... 2nd-place SEC team and Elite Eight finisher last year, Lunardi projects the Gators to a No. 2 seed in his way-too-early Bracketology ... Hogs playing at Florida for the 4th straight season with only 1 home game in the same span (last year in Dec) ... Hogs have lost 6 in a row to Florida.
* Alabama ... Lunardi projecting Tide as 1 of 5 SEC teams to make the NCAAT next season, has the Tide as a projected 10-seed ... Bama had a strong recruiting class ... I like this matchup for Hogs as of now.
* Mississippi State ... Bulldogs are young, have recruited well, and have won 2 of 3 against the Hogs under Howland ... this is my sleeper pick for surprise SEC team next season, and I believe MSU might finish top 5 in the league, along with KY, FL, A&M and Hogs.
* Georgia ... similar to Ole Miss, GA is always on the bubble and typically in the top 1/3 of the SEC ... 'Dawgs a tough out in Athens.
* Missouri
* Texas A&M
* Auburn
* Ole Miss
* LSU

BrooklynRoss

Nice write-up. I'm loving our high-profile schedule for '17-'18. Our senior-heavy lineup should do some damage.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Kevin McPherson

As projected awhile back, this has turned out to be the toughest schedule of the Mike Anderson era at Arkansas. The non-conference slate is the toughest to date, and the SEC from top to bottom appears to be the best it has been since CMA returned to Arkansas. We now know the dates and locations of all 13 non-con games (except for the road game vs. Houston, which we know will be in Houston but the venue has not yet been released).

https://twitter.com/RazorbackMBB/status/899715220087595009

We also know the 10 home-and-away, 4 home only, and 4 away only matchups in the SEC (posted earlier ITT), now we're just waiting on the game dates to be announced.

rzrbackramsfan

Can't wait to go to that Houston game!

Kevin, in your opinion, what was a's second hardest non con slate?  Maybe Bobby portis' soph' year?  Or was there a year where we had mich, Syracuse and uconn all in their heyday.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 21, 2017, 10:33:59 pm
Can't wait to go to that Houston game!

Kevin, in your opinion, what was a's second hardest non con slate?  Maybe Bobby portis' soph' year?  Or was there a year where we had mich, Syracuse and uconn all in their heyday.

I think CMA's second season -- 2012-13 -- was his best prior to '17-18 ... the Hogs played Arizona State and Wisconsin at neutral sites, they played Oklahoma and No. 6 Syracuse at home, and they played at No. 3 Michigan ... but the balance of the non-con after those games was pretty weak.

This season, they've got OU at a neutral site with potential to play UNC after that, then possibly Michigan St, Oregon, or UConn. They'll host MN, Oklahoma St., and Colorado St ... and they'll play at Houston ... similar at the top but the balance of the non-con is far superior than '12-13 ... Bucknell, Fresno St., CSU Bakersfield, Troy are a lot better than Longwood, Alabama A&M, Alcorn State, and Delaware St.

cityhog

Pig Power

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 23, 2017, 01:07:37 pm
I think CMA's second season -- 2012-13 -- was his best prior to '17-18 ... the Hogs played Arizona State and Wisconsin at neutral sites, they played Oklahoma and No. 6 Syracuse at home, and they played at No. 3 Michigan ... but the balance of the non-con after those games was pretty weak.

This season, they've got OU at a neutral site with potential to play UNC after that, then possibly Michigan St, Oregon, or UConn. They'll host MN, Oklahoma St., and Colorado St ... and they'll play at Houston ... similar at the top but the balance of the non-con is far superior than '12-13 ... Bucknell, Fresno St., CSU Bakersfield, Troy are a lot better than Longwood, Alabama A&M, Alcorn State, and Delaware St.

Fantastic home schedule.. Be packing the Bud. Thanks Kevin!!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 23, 2017, 01:07:37 pm

Thanks.  Yes,  I remember that Syracuse game, Sutherland couldn't miss.  I'm pretty sure Trey burks wiped the floor with us too.