Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is gonna be the guy.....

Started by MultipleScoreGasms, November 03, 2017, 11:58:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 03:16:32 pm
and, as is typical of Hog fans, they IGNORE the role of the defense in winning games.
" Just get a spread x o guru in here, don't care if he can recruit or not, and we'll win games by just outscoring everyone. And even if we don't win at least it'll be exciting! ".
The last TWO times Arkansas was competitive in the SEC was with a wide-open offense, under Gus as offensive coordinator in Nutt's second-to-last year here and under Petrino.

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 03, 2017, 03:20:54 pm
He had the hog curse! Ha! It wasnt for lack of scoring, thats for sure. He may have lost to the hogs but he did win a sugar bowl running that offense. Id take it!  Point is, its my opinion that we need to run an innovative offense at arkansas to win consistently.  I dont think the pro style will work here against the competition we see.

What is  so innovative about spreading guys out and running the ball or throwing a million bubble screens?

Definition of innovative: of a product, idea, etc.) featuring new methods; advanced and original.
"innovative designs"
(of a person) introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 03, 2017, 03:25:27 pm
The last TWO times Arkansas was competitive in the SEC was with a wide-open offense, under Gus as offensive coordinator in Nutt's second-to-last year here and under Petrino.

2006 the Hogs only threw for 149 yards per game, and only averaged 378 total. If that is " wide open " then BB the last two years has been light speed. Hogs have had a 3k+ yard passer and a 1300+ yard back in each of the last 2 full seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 02:56:25 pm
Why do we have to run the dam% spread, just to keep the attention span of most of our fans, that seems about the same as a 4 yr old, occupied? The spread, the I, the wishbone, the seer, or the Dead T, all will work with the talent to run them, and none will work if the opponent has better defenders than you have offensive players.

If the spread were the magic bullet you all seem to think it is the everybody would be running it.

BUt what a bout a guy who spreads the field but runs the ball 70% of the time, would you be happy then?

I don't think we have to run the spread, but I do think we have to do something that gives us an advantage over teams who have deeper talent than we have if we are going to have the kind of success we want to have.  Recruiting isn't likely to significantly improve until we can win on a consistent basis so we have to have a coach who can win a majority of their games while being slightly outmatched from a talent standpoint in a majority of the games. I think people believe the spread is a magic wand you can wave to automatically make you competitive against superior talent. The talent gap between us and the rest of the SEC isn't huge, and isn't insurmountable, but it is there. I don't know what a coach would have to do to give us that edge, if I did I'd be a consultant. The only thing I know for sure is that we aren't likely to out-recruit many of our opponents in the next few years, so any winning we do is going to have to be done with slightly less talent than most of our opponents.     

hogsanity

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 03, 2017, 03:53:56 pm
I don't think we have to run the spread, but I do think we have to do something that gives us an advantage over teams who have deeper talent than we have if we are going to have the kind of success we want to have.  Recruiting isn't likely to significantly improve until we can win on a consistent basis so we have to have a coach who can win a majority of their games while being slightly outmatched from a talent standpoint in a majority of the games. I think people believe the spread is a magic wand you can wave to automatically make you competitive against superior talent. The talent gap between us and the rest of the SEC isn't huge, and isn't insurmountable, but it is there. I don't know what a coach would have to do to give us that edge, if I did I'd be a consultant. The only thing I know for sure is that we aren't likely to out-recruit many of our opponents in the next few years, so any winning we do is going to have to be done with slightly less talent than most of our opponents.     

I agree with almost of that. My question then, if the defense is under-talented and lacking quality depth, wouldn't it be smart to limit their time on the field?

But, to the larger point, if you have to constantly play teams with better players and more of them, you are going to lose to 3 r 4 of them every year just due to them having better players. You cant count on out scheming people week after week after week.

casken

"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

247Hog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 03, 2017, 12:17:30 pm
If that's going to be the guy , then there is really no need to change.

Exactly. Why would you fire BB and pay a buyout to hire Miles. Come on...several of you guys say Long is Mr. Intellectual from up North plus all about being concerned with financials but then claim he'd hire Les. What an oxymoron.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 03:37:11 pm
What is  so innovative about spreading guys out and running the ball or throwing a million bubble screens?

Definition of innovative: of a product, idea, etc.) featuring new methods; advanced and original.
"innovative designs"
(of a person) introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking.
Do you even watch football? A million bubble screens? Did you watch Penn State vs Ohio State last weekend? Ohio state couldnt be stopped. Have you watched Clemson? Alabama even runs a version of the spread. Compared to the pro style offenses of the past, yes, the spread is very innovative.  What makes it even more innovative is that it can be changed and adapted based on the coach running it or the defense. Gus has adapted the old Delaware t wing into the spread. So yeah, according to your guidelines and the definition,  if say the spread is still pretty innovative.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 03, 2017, 02:42:07 pm
You've got to admit that Lester's offense could do with some updating.  I never understood why their quarterback play wasn't better than it was.

Absolutely agree.  Just got off the phone with an LSU fan who said the same thing.  That doesn't change the fact that Miles has proven himself to be a successful head coach.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2017, 04:05:03 pm
I agree with almost of that. My question then, if the defense is under-talented and lacking quality depth, wouldn't it be smart to limit their time on the field?

But, to the larger point, if you have to constantly play teams with better players and more of them, you are going to lose to 3 r 4 of them every year just due to them having better players. You cant count on out scheming people week after week after week.

I don't think you can out-scheme the talent deficit we have against Bama, that's a pretty deep chasm, so barring us getting very lucky, or them falling off a bit we aren't likely to beat them any time soon, but there's not that much of a difference between our starting group and a lot of the other teams in the SEC. It's a difference but negligible.  I think that the issue is that our depth, our 2nd and 3rd string are way off. I don't know what the answer is.  I find it hard to argue with the fact that we can't out scheme a more talented team every week but at the same time I can't believe that we can't ever do better than 7-8 wins a year either.  I think that we have to find a way to be competitive enough to not be embarrassed on national TV meaning keep the losses close and then win 8-10 games a year pretty consistently, and I mean over the course of 5 years or so before recruiting is going to improve in any significant way, and even then it is doubtful we could pull into the top 10 in recruiting.  I think ideally you would have an offense that minimizes pressure on a defense, a balanced team.  I wonder at times though if it would be better for us to focus more on one side or the other. Meaning pour our recruiting efforts into a monstrous defense at the expense of our offense.  I wonder which is easier to build in that fashion.  It makes my head hurt thinking about it.   I want the hogs to win, but at the same time I realize that we have an uphill battle to a degree.  If Bielema stays I don't envy him, if he gets canned I don't envy Long.

bphi11ips

For once I agree with hogsanity. 

Anything will work with the right personnel.  Unless you can consistently recruit to a "system", which most programs or coaches can't do, the best coaches tailor their schemes to the talent on hand.  Broyles did this throughout his career.  He also fielded fundamentally sound offenses, defenses and special teams, regardless of scheme.  That's how you win 71% of your games in college football over 19 years. 

moses_007

Yes, Miles will be Bielema's replacement, whether Hogville like it or not.  He is a close friend of Jeff Long, has SEC experience, has won a national championship.

moses_007

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 03, 2017, 05:05:35 pm
For once I agree with hogsanity. 

Anything will work with the right personnel.  Unless you can consistently recruit to a "system", which most programs or coaches can't do, the best coaches tailor their schemes to the talent on hand.  Broyles did this throughout his career.  He also fielded fundamentally sound offenses, defenses and special teams, regardless of scheme.  That's how you win 71% of your games in college football over 19 years. 
I think everyone here would go for a coach that won 71 percent of his games.

LZH

moses_007

I think it's already a done deal.  BB will be fired and Miles announced the Saturday or Sunday after the Missouri game.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

He does know the kind of athletes it takes in the SEC to be competitive. I'm not sure Bret has figured that out yet or how to use what SEC caliber athletes he does have.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

LZH

Quote from: moses_007 on November 03, 2017, 05:16:21 pm
I think it's already a done deal.  BB will be fired and Miles announced the Saturday or Sunday after the Missouri game.

I don't doubt that JL already has his guy, or it least who he wants. But if Les Miles is hired I will go back to hard liquor and immediately run around the neighborhood butt nekked kicking the living darn out of everyone's dogs. I like Les Miles, but he is done as a primetime coach.

Dark Helmet Hog

If Miles is hired, everyone should line up to kick Long in the nuts. Imagine the line on Airplane except for a nut kickin.

razorbackfaninar

Well I doubt Jeff Long has even decided that Bielema is not coming back.  I am pretty sure he hasn't secretly hired Les Miles.  I'm not convinced Miles would do great here, but I do like the guy and It would definitely be entertaining.   

bphi11ips

Quote from: moses_007 on November 03, 2017, 05:14:13 pm

That was JFB at Arkansas. Miles won 77% at LSU.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteNot time yet to make a decision on Bret Bielema, but I've always laughed at the knuckleheads on Hogville who don't understand that Les Miles is a really good coach.  LSU was stupid when it canned him and even stupider when hired Orgeron long term.

In the short time I've been back I've been starting to wonder if the poster that wrote this is constantly insulting other posters to hide the fact that he's fairly clueless about football or that maybe he's just an a hole.

It's obviously both.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

jgphillips3

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 03, 2017, 05:38:53 pm
That was JFB at Arkansas. Miles won 77% at LSU.

Because he got at least one more cupcake every year than Broyles did back in the days of 10 & 11 game seasons.

Ex-Trumpet

If the powers that be hire Les Miles then they get what they deserve. 

Unfortunately, we all have to suffer through it.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bphi11ips

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on November 03, 2017, 05:49:47 pm
In the short time I've been back I've been starting to wonder if the poster that wrote this is constantly insulting other posters to hide the fact that he's fairly clueless about football or that maybe he's just an a hole.

It's obviously both.

Awww.  You just ruined my day you big meanie.

Hoggish1

This is a stupid joke, right?  OK, ha ha

HoggyCat

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 12:16:08 pm
Only in Arkansas would people think someone with his record would be a bad hire. Not saying it would work but he would recruit better than Bret has ever thought about recruiting.

So you think an 8 win coach at LSU would be a game changer here??  Think about it.....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Quickdraw

I watched Miles when he was at OKS and had good success. He went to LSU and had some good years. What I have noticed about him the last few is he has not advanced with the changing style of football leaving him in a very impressive situation. Can he be successful at Arkansas? Yes I think he can. Can he bring the goods to what the fans expect by winning 9 or 10 wins a year? I highly doubt it. He can probably pull a 8 win average and go to some good bowl games. The big thing I have with him is he's 64 years old and is past his prime.

Quickdraw

Quote from: Quickdraw on November 04, 2017, 10:52:58 am
I watched Miles when he was at OKS and had good success. He went to LSU and had some good years. What I have noticed about him the last few is he has not advanced with the changing style of football leaving him in a not impressive situation. Can he be successful at Arkansas? Yes I think he can. Can he bring the goods to what the fans expect by winning 9 or 10 wins a year? I highly doubt it. He can probably pull a 8 win average and go to some good bowl games. The big thing I have with him is he's 64 years old and is past his prime.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Quickdraw on November 04, 2017, 10:52:58 am

The big thing I have with him is he's 64 years old and is past his prime.

The two issues I have with Les Miles are his offense, which is pretty bland, and his age.  He isn't ancient, but he is getting up there.  I don't know if he has the capacity to adapt to what the college game has become. 

Quickdraw

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 04, 2017, 11:07:43 am
The two issues I have with Les Miles are his offense, which is pretty bland, and his age.  He isn't ancient, but he is getting up there.  I don't know if he has the capacity to adapt to what the college game has become. 

These are valid points. IronHawg is no lemming.

twistitup

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 01:18:10 pm
There are good off of the field reasons why many say no to Malzahn. He burned too many bridges back in 2006.

Burned bridges?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 04, 2017, 10:23:33 am
So you think an 8 win coach at LSU would be a game changer here??  Think about it.....

This is what I mean about knuckleheads. Miles averaged 10.2 wins per year at LSU in 11 seasons.

How hard is it to use Google and a calculator before you make a completely inaccurate statement?

bphi11ips

Quote from: twistitup on November 04, 2017, 11:40:04 am
Burned bridges?

Yep. Lots of parents angry because he didn't coach their boys. Plus he beat their teams bad. And they don't like the church he went to.

leroyhawg

God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

I think Bret is one heck of a nice guy, and I think he will eventually get things figured out, I don't know when but he could be a very special Coach.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

ShadowTheHedgehog

That would be a terrible hire - Darkside 3.0

redneckfriend

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 03, 2017, 02:22:50 pm
He could flash around ten national championship rings, but in my opinion it would do very little to improve recruiting in Arkansas.  I think it is wishful thinking to say that the last fifteen years of recruiting have been due to the fact that the people recruiting here were just bad recruiters, and that someone else could do so much better. If Petrino for example was lighting the world on fire in recruiting, pulling in top 10 classes and then Bielema comes here and cant get out of the 20's then you can say, "Well, it's the staff they can't recruit" But When you look at the data across Nutt, Petrino and now Bielema, the three coaches we have had since good recruiting records have been kept.  The recruiting remains pretty much the same. Bielema is running just a bit ahead of our average, and people are screaming that he can't get the talent, or that he just doesn't have SEC caliber players. Now either all three of those staffs couldn't recruit, or the problem isn't the staff it's the school.  There are a lot of factors that play into that, but historically it is what it is.  So to think that Les Miles could come here and out-recruit Orgeron, Saban, Malzahn, Sumlin, et al. it isn't impossible, but history says it's pretty unlikely.  I could be wrong but Miles doesn't strike me as the type who wants to take on this kind of challenge this late in his career.   

I would absolutely agree. Recruiting in Louisiana is about Louisiana and that is to a degree why Miles recruited well. He won with his NFL caliber defenses but failed offensively unless he had a first round NFL running back. He never seemed to "get it" with a passing game, he just was not an innovator. If he came to Arkansas he would, at best, be recruiting in the low teens, not good enough to field a dominating defense and his deficiencies on the offensive side would be fatal.

Arkansas needs a recruiter but even a great recruiter will be limited here so the coach that is hired has to have something more going on such as a real offensive philosophy- almost certainly a passing philosophy that opens up the game and reduces the dominance of the kinds of front sevens often seen in the SEC west. In addition he needs to be a detail guy like Petrino who insists on perfection within the abilities of his players. Good and energetic recruiter, perfectionist, innovative offensively- those are the prerequisites for a successful coach at Arkansas. Who knows if one is available but it certainly isn't Miles.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: casken on November 03, 2017, 04:17:52 pm
Would rather stick with who we have if that is the only answer.

I doubt this is the only answer.  I think it's highly possible.  The timing of the article is interesting.  Not my first choice, but I would support it.  I do believe Les would be an improvement (and I like CBB personally).  Not just an improvement in recruiting, but in all 3 phases of the game.

Not my first choice, but he is available, and there is a relationship.  He has also proven successful in this league, and is an interesting option.  No way I would pay him $5M as was mentioned earlier.  At this stage, he won't get that anywhere.  Maybe $2.5M to $3M, with additional incentives tied to regular season record, bowl appearance, and bowl winning.  Any deficiency between what he would make vs. what he used to make would be made up by his LSU buyout for the length of that contract term. 

ipigsooie

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: LZH on November 03, 2017, 05:21:10 pm
I don't doubt that JL already has his guy, or it least who he wants. But if Les Miles is hired I will go back to hard liquor and immediately run around the neighborhood butt nekked kicking the living darn out of everyone's dogs. I like Les Miles, but he is done as a primetime coach.

;D Ha!!!  Keep us posted!!!

LZH

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on November 04, 2017, 12:40:17 pm
;D Ha!!!  Keep us posted!!!

I'm already doing nearly 5 sit-ups a day just in case I need to be in shape come December.

HoggyCat

Quote from: moses_007 on November 03, 2017, 05:14:13 pm

71% of a 12 game schedule is 8 games. Is that what you want?? Considering he'd likely win 4 out of conference games.....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Sooie71923

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 03:13:01 pm
I disagree. Les would give Orgeron fits in recruiting in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. When a head Coach can walk into a recruit's home and flash a National Championship ring at the recruit, it get's the recruit's attention real quick.

yeah that would be nice, until the recruit realizes its an LSU NC ring and not a Razorback one. Maybe he can show recruits the scoreboard of the last national championship Miles coached in..... 

From Tusk Till Dawn

Les is wearing a tie today thats colors match our "cowboy" style uniforms...

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!