Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preferred Walkon

Started by logand02, June 20, 2015, 08:08:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

logand02

Can some one that a knows for sure explain the preferred walkon? Do they get special treatment, assistance and is there a limit to how many there can be?

PaintballHog

In some instances, a college coach/recruiter may designate an athlete as a "preferred walk-on" during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, but the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk-on_(sports)

texas tush hog

Quote from: logand02 on June 20, 2015, 08:08:25 pm
Can some one that a knows for sure explain the preferred walkon? Do they get special treatment, assistance and is there a limit to how many there can be?

Every school can offer 25 scholarships per year plus 5 preferred(invited) walk-ons. The preferred walk-ons can report with all the other newcomers, but the rest of the walk-ons (and I don't know that there is a limit on them) must wait until classes start. That's it in a nutshell.

lefty08

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 20, 2015, 08:13:30 pm
In some instances, a college coach/recruiter may designate an athlete as a "preferred walk-on" during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, but the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk-on_(sports)

Aren't they guaranteed a scholarship before their junior year? And I'm pretty sure there are limits to how many you can offer preferred spots
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

PaintballHog

Quote from: lefty08 on June 20, 2015, 08:17:00 pm
Aren't they guaranteed a scholarship before their junior year? And I'm pretty sure there are limits to how many you can offer preferred spots

I have no idea, but that would make sense why so few are given out. I just did a quick search.

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on June 20, 2015, 08:17:00 pm

Nope, and as was said above, 5/year.

logand02

Not that I'm doubting yall on the 5 per year but where is it stated? Is that an NCAA or SEC deal?

I feel like there where more than 5 last year but some if the ones I think are preferred may not be. 

razorhog52

As the link above said, preferred walk on just means you are in the 105. There are 20 preferred walk ons (assuming 85 scholarship players). There are no guarantees of scholarships, however they are in a better position than someone who just walks off the streets.