Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Devin White tweet

Started by Music City Hog, June 18, 2015, 07:46:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 18, 2015, 01:09:49 pm
Yet Melvin Gordin still went in the 1st, even when Oline is focus there, weird.

Having a great Oline with an underwhelming rb will just hinder the potential of said Oline. If anyone watched Chubb run all over us last year should know what an asset a blue chip rb can be. There's a reason why Jwill and Collins were 5 and 4*s.

Wasn't Melvin Gordon a 3 star?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Wildhog

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 18, 2015, 01:19:41 pm
Whaley has said his number 1 thing is playing time, which we should lead ahead of the other two in.

But if we miss on White, this will likely be what happens I think. Which is fine.

I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up on Whaley...

Our best shot is Pennamon.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

lefty08

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 01:23:17 pm
Nope.  4-star.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Melvin-Gordon-101191

Ok thanks. Didn't wanna look it up at work. I knew I'd get 43 smartass comments if I was wrong
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on June 18, 2015, 09:24:40 am
i'm in the same boat.  I understand the coaches have a pecking order but my gosh I just don't understand how any of those plan A guys haven't jumped on board.  there is going to be no less then 200 available carries next year with JWill leaving, and most likely 400+ as you just can't go out and recruit thinking Collins is 100% coming back

Truth is, we don't know what is in the works or what this staff has heard from the RB recruits, or who they might prefer or even why they are waiting to make offers to some kids. There could be and probably are, multiple issues involved.

So who has been offered and is on the clock or committed elsewhere?
RB's
#5 Elijah Holyfield
#6 Tre Turner-verbal to Az State
#10 Devwah Whaley
#11 Matt Falcon-verbal to Michigan
#30 Dedrick Mills-verbal to GT
#33 Denzel Mitchell-verbal to Ole Miss

APB
#10 D'Vaughn Pennamon

It isn't a long list and four of the seven are already committed to another school.

You have to assume that this staff has something up their sleeve that we aren't aware of at this point. I agree that the potential is there for us to lose both of our starting RB's so they must be comfortable about the situation or we would surely see a greater sense of urgency to sign at least 2 highly rated RB's.
Go Hogs Go!

The Hogfather

Quote from: lefty08 on June 18, 2015, 01:30:25 pm
Ok thanks. Didn't wanna look it up at work. I knew I'd get 43 smartass comments if I was wrong

ESPN had him as a 3-star.  I couldn't find any others.

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 18, 2015, 01:34:48 pm
Truth is, we don’t know what is in the works or what this staff has heard from the RB recruits, or who they might prefer or even why they are waiting to make offers to some kids. There could be and probably are, multiple issues involved.

So who has been offered and is on the clock or committed elsewhere?
RB’s
#5 Elijah Holyfield
#6 Tre Turner-verbal to Az State
#10 Devwah Whaley
#11 Matt Falcon-verbal to Michigan
#30 Dedrick Mills-verbal to GT
#33 Denzel Mitchell-verbal to Ole Miss

APB
#10 D’Vaughn Pennamon

It isn’t a long list and four of the seven are already committed to another school.

You have to assume that this staff has something up their sleeve that we aren’t aware of at this point. I agree that the potential is there for us to lose both of our starting RB’s so they must be comfortable about the situation or we would surely see a greater sense of urgency to sign at least 2 highly rated RB’s.

A reasonable post, but we can only comment on what we know/see.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 18, 2015, 01:38:51 pm
ESPN had him as a 3-star.  I couldn't find any others.

http://247sports.com/Player/Melvin-Gordon-578?PlayerInstitution=18006

Composite 4*.

There was discussion in another thread also about the plethora of 4* rbs BB was able recruit at Wiscy

trashcan maN

Montee Ball was a 3* with offers from Indiana, Mizzou, Stanford, Kansas, Iowa St. and Wisconsin. I think he ended up breaking some NCAA rushing records.

I think they had 4 All Americans on the OL?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 01:52:57 pm
Montee Ball, 4-star

http://sports.yahoo.com/wisconsin/football/recruiting/player-Montee-Ball-73335

Everyone can pick and choose, let's just all agree that we need some top RB's in this class.

trashcan maN

http://247sports.com/Player/Montee-Ball-5160?PlayerInstitution=44074

It's all the same. He was a fringe 3/4* with bad offers, and he broke multiple NCAA records behind a huge All-American line.

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 01:54:08 pm
Everyone can pick and choose, let's just all agree that we need some top RB's in this class.
You're right. All I'm saying is that you show me a dominating run blocking OL, and I'll show you a productive back.

Of course an elite back is preferable, but our run game isn't going to drop off too much if our OL keeps trending the way it is.

Wildhog

I was following recruiting much closer in 2009 than I do now.  24/7 wasn't even around.

A major recruiting service that did exist evaluated him as a 4-star.

But you do have a point.  We're going to get good production with whoever we put back there.  Hell, Connor McPherson would produce.  My point is, we as Arkansas fans have seen first-hand what an elite RB can do for a football team. 

The fact that we have a stellar OL is no reason to stop going after top-flight RB's.  We should expect them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:00:31 pm
I was following recruiting much closer in 2009 than I do now.  24/7 wasn't even around.

But you do have a point.  We're going to get good production with whoever we put back there.  Hell, Connor McPherson would produce.  My point is, we as Arkansas fans have seen first-hand what an elite RB can do for a football team. 

The fact that we have a stellar OL is no reason to stop going after top-flight RB's.  We should expect them.

And, you do know who left to form 24/7, correct?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 02:05:23 pm
And, you do know who left to form 24/7, correct?

You know I do.  I even tried 24/7 for a while.  Ended up going back to Rivals.

But that's neither here nor there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

trashcan maN

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:08:02 pm
You know I do.  I even tried 24/7 for a while.  Ended up going back to Rivals.

But that's neither here nor there.
I used to use Scout ;/ lol

PaintballHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:00:31 pm

Exactly. An Oline only makes holes, the rb does the rest. Anyone who watched Chubb break tackle after tackle to get over 200 yards against us should know what benefits a top rb can bring.

Will we be fine with anyone? Sure, but I don't think BB came here to just be fine.

Wildhog

Quote from: trashcan maN on June 18, 2015, 02:08:47 pm
I used to use Scout ;/ lol

Yeah, I never really liked Scout.

I don't think 24/7 is bad.  Just prefer Rivals, especially the user interface.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 18, 2015, 01:44:16 pm
http://247sports.com/Player/Melvin-Gordon-578?PlayerInstitution=18006

Composite 4*.

There was discussion in another thread also about the plethora of 4* rbs BB was able recruit at Wiscy

3-star ESPN

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 18, 2015, 02:21:13 pm
3-star ESPN

The worst recruiting service of all time. 

I won't argue with someone using 24/7 or Scout, but ESPN is awful. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:22:54 pm
The worst recruiting service of all time. 

I won't argue with someone using 24/7 or Scout, but ESPN is awful.  They barely have any evaluators.

I didn't comment on the quality of the service.  Just putting it out there because it was one rating I found.

Wildhog

We've gone from, "We're going to get two of these studs" to "We'll get at least one of these studs" to "Well, even if we don't, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER."
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 01:54:08 pm

Agreed. Need at least one of the 3.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:24:49 pm
We've gone from, "We're going to get two of these studs" to "We'll get at least one of these studs" to "Well, even if we don't, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER."

Who said we were going to get two of them, and it's way too early to know what does, and doesn't matter. We need a good RB, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff concurs.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:24:49 pm
I feel like White is a potential game changer. I feel like most of these 2nd tier guys will do what Bielema running backs do..Rush for about 1000 yds per season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 01:42:29 pm
A reasonable post, but we can only comment on what we know/see.

I understand but would everyone be o.k. with getting the commit of one of the three of Holyfield, Whaley or Pennamon and then when whatever needs to happen, happens, getting Crockett on board as well?
Go Hogs Go!

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 02:27:27 pm
Who said we were going to get two of them, and it's way too early to know what does, and doesn't matter. We need a good RB, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff concurs.

We need more than one.

Music City Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 18, 2015, 02:28:46 pm
I understand but would everyone be o.k. with getting the commit of one of the three of Holyfield, Whaley or Pennamon and then when whatever needs to happen, happens, getting Crockett on board as well?

Yes, but Holyfield isn't happening.  You can move on down the list.  We aren't on his radar. 

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 02:29:13 pm
We need more than one.

Depends on what one means by good, would you be happy with White and Crockett? 

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 02:27:27 pm

Plenty of people have said we'll get two of them in other threads.  Although, I think most have realized that's not going to happen now.

And I'm sure the staff is aware of the situation.  Not trying to say they aren't.  Just wish some of the people in here would open their eyes and be aware, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

trashcan maN

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 02:29:13 pm
We need more than one.
We're looking at a worst case scenario of Juan Day(bad knee), RW3(only decent offer), Denzell Evans(Hasn't shown much) for next year.

We absolutely need two legit backs in this class unless I'm missing something.

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 02:31:02 pm
I'd be happy with Pennamon and Crockett. Ecstatic with White and Crockett

Wildhog

We aren't seriously discussing Holyfield are we?  Good grief.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

I personally would be thrilled with any two of White, Pennemon, Whaley and Crockett...

Wildhog

Quote from: trashcan maN on June 18, 2015, 02:33:22 pm
I'd be happy with Pennamon and Crockett. Ecstatic with White and Crockett

This is about how I feel.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 02:29:59 pm
Yes, but Holyfield isn't happening.  You can move on down the list.  We aren't on his radar. 

Maybe not but I can't imagine a kid not being interested in getting the number of carries and success that he would get here as opposed to his top 5 (Rivals) that includes the likes of Kentucky, Michigan St and Indiana. Miami is close so I can understand that one and Oklahoma may run some (new OC likes to throw it more) but they are pretty set at RB over there. But then, you are dealing with an 18 year old kid and his parents (sometimes more so than others) and their logic can be completely different than we might see things.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:32:02 pm
Plenty of people have said we'll get two of them in other threads.  Although, I think most have realized that's not going to happen now.

And I'm sure the staff is aware of the situation.  Not trying to say they aren't.  Just wish some of the people in here would open their eyes and be aware, too.

Do you realistically think we'll get two top RB's? I figure 1 really good one, and 1 or 2 good ones. People on here think we'll get every 5*, don't make it so.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 02:36:23 pm
Do you realistically think we'll get two top RB's? I figure 1 really good one, and 1 or 2 good ones. People on here think we'll get every 5*, don't make it so.

I REALLY like Crockett.  However, IMO it would be a recruiting fail if he is our stud/top RB in this class bc he clearly is not one of the true Plan A backs the staff has been targeting

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2015, 02:36:23 pm

I expect to get one top RB and Crockett. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 02:40:02 pm
I expect to get one top RB and Crockett. 

Yep, me too, and I'll be happy. Despite the fact that we are a run heavy team, we aren't going to stockpile like Bama. However, if you've been reading, they are thin due to transfers, injuries, and academics.

PaintballHog

Quote from: trashcan maN on June 18, 2015, 02:28:40 pm
I feel like White is a potential game changer. I feel like most of these 2nd tier guys will do what Bielema running backs do..Rush for about 1000 yds per season.

But almost all of BB rbs were 4*s or on the verge of being 4*s, in a way less physical conference than the SEC. If we're gonna be a run heavy team, we need the horses.

And yes the talk going into this class was getting two top rbs, because we may lose our top 3. Then it came down 3 potential top rbs, it became we need to get at least one, and now White is looking shakey, it's any rb will due because our line is good. Well there alot of good lines in the SEC.

TechHawg

Moments after Baptiste committed to Arkansas earlier this week. 24/7's Crystal Ball predictions were split 50/50 between Miami and North Carolina. So forgive me if I don't think that White is lost to LSU just because 24/7's Crystal Ball says so. I think we have a good shot at him. I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could objectively choose LSU over Arkansas at this point. Looney Les is on his way out, they have no QB, and the place smells like corndogs.

Music City Hog

June 18, 2015, 03:34:22 pm #96 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:48:34 pm by Music City Hog
Quote from: TechHawg on June 18, 2015, 03:05:07 pm
Moments after Baptiste committed to Arkansas earlier this week. 24/7's Crystal Ball predictions were split 50/50 between Miami and North Carolina. So forgive me if I don't think that White is lost to LSU just because 24/7's Crystal Ball says so. I think we have a good shot at him. I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could objectively choose LSU over Arkansas at this point. Looney Les is on his way out, they have no QB, and the place smells like corndogs.

I'll be shocked if Jeane-Baptiste signs here but thats a thread for another time. 

On the RBs, we almost have to have to have 3.  If JWill and Alex turn pro then we have little to nothing coming back.   No idea what we have in RW, Juan Day hasn't been healthy ever, and Evans has been a bust. 

We desperately need RBs that can play from day one. 

PaintballHog

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 03:34:22 pm
I'll be shocked if Jeane-Baptiste signs here but that a thread for another time. 

On the RBs, we almost have to have to have 3.  If JWill and Alex turn pro then we have little to nothing coming back.   No idea what we have in RW, Juan Day hasn't been healthy ever, and Evans has a bust. 

We desperately need RBs that can play from day one.

Steef

Its June.

Five and four stars usually pull the trigger early...for an established program, or they wait til January and evaluate the other programs first.

We arent an established program yet.

A lot of really good recruits are likely in "wait and see" mode.

So we get to wait, too.

Music City Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 18, 2015, 02:36:00 pm
Maybe not but I can't imagine a kid not being interested in getting the number of carries and success that he would get here as opposed to his top 5 (Rivals) that includes the likes of Kentucky, Michigan St and Indiana. Miami is close so I can understand that one and Oklahoma may run some (new OC likes to throw it more) but they are pretty set at RB over there. But then, you are dealing with an 18 year old kid and his parents (sometimes more so than others) and their logic can be completely different than we might see things.

You're not talking about Holyfield.  That is not his top 5. This is Holyfield

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Elijah-Holyfield-154887