Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jermain vs. Winky

Started by WILL CLINTON, June 06, 2006, 03:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

I don't know if anyone saw the countdown to this fight on HBO, but it looks like a doosey for JT.  I actually think it will be closer than the Bernard Hopkins fights. 

Winky is tough, and his corner people are confident, but not cocky like B-Hop. This could be a turning point for Taylor.  If he wins, as one of the people on the show commented last night, there will be no more discussion as to his place in the Middleweight division, if he loses, then there will be no question to Winky's. 

I personally think the loss would hurt Winky more than JT, because JT is still in his prime, and Winky is on his way to retirement. Anyone that likes boxing should watch this fight, it could very well be THE fight to see this year. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I hope it is more exciting than the Hopkins ones were.  I know the defensive stand-off type bouts are great for boxing connoisseurs, but it is tough to watch for the rest of us!

Bacon The Saddle Again

This is not going to be an exciting fight and I don't expect it to be closer than the Bernard fights.  Winky has better defense, but he isn't the counter puncher than B-Hop is.  I think it will go to the cards with JT winning by 7 points or so.  No knockdowns, no excitemnt, just blah.

I hope after this fight he takes a few fights off against some bums and then steps up to light heavyweight to fight someone like Tarver.  I tell you know, if JT and Tarver fight....someone is getting KO'd.

WILL CLINTON

dont expect a knockout, if that is what you are hoping for.  It will be very much of the same unfortunately.  These will be bouts won on the scorecards, and it may come down to a draw.  Dont worry, there may be a rematch, no matter what has been said or written into the contracts.

GBPackerFan

I don't know.  I think that this will be a good fight.  Winky is not afraid to go toe-to-toe.  Just my opinion though.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on June 06, 2006, 03:48:55 pm
This is not going to be an exciting fight and I don't expect it to be closer than the Bernard fights.  Winky has better defense, but he isn't the counter puncher than B-Hop is.  I think it will go to the cards with JT winning by 7 points or so.  No knockdowns, no excitemnt, just blah.

I hope after this fight he takes a few fights off against some bums and then steps up to light heavyweight to fight someone like Tarver.  I tell you know, if JT and Tarver fight....someone is getting KO'd.

I believe Tarver could take Jermain.  I would like to see him drop down for De LaHoya or Mosley before he went up to fight tarver. 

Bacon The Saddle Again

I know he could take JT, but I think it would be a whale of a fight.  And exciting.  JT is versatile enough to go with the big hitters or box with the boxers.  That jab makes his incredibly tough to beat.

Dirk Piggler

The best thing Jermaine Taylor did was hire Emanuel Steward. Steward will definetly have Taylor ready for this fight

werehog

June 06, 2006, 04:29:02 pm #8 Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 01:40:43 am by werehog
Emanual Stewart will have JT ready, but Winky will also be ready to go. While JT has more power, Winky is quicker and has a very difficult style to solve. This may be a dull fight. Neither of these guys are great warriors. I am an old boxing writer -- for what its worth, and I may be full of crap, but I won't be surprised if Winky wins. Sugar Shane Mosely is quicker than JT, but Winky was even quicker. Winky's style and quickness were too much for Sugar, it may be too much for JT. Doesn't Winky have Arkansas roots? I heard that somehwere.

testis

hi guys!!  when is the fight!!

Rooka

LoHog

I agree that this is going to be tougher than the Hopkins fights. Hopkins wanted to street brawl but Winky is more of a boxer. with Steward JT will have all the weapons to compete with a skilled fighter like Winky. Is anyone going to the fight?

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: LoHog on June 06, 2006, 04:48:10 pm
I agree that this is going to be tougher than the Hopkins fights. Hopkins wanted to street brawl but Winky is more of a boxer. with Steward JT will have all the weapons to compete with a skilled fighter like Winky. Is anyone going to the fight?

I wonder how much Steward can teach JT in this short amount of time.  The whole reason they brought Emanuel in was because JT has been doing some things wrong for a long time, I don't see 6 weeks enough of a time period to fix these things.  I hope he does and JT comes out like a maniac and takes Winky Wright out quick and decisively, but I just don't see him doing it. 

LoHog

You're right. I doubt 6 weeks is enough time to give him all the tricks but hopefully in that time he can fine tune the tools he does have. I love the fact that JT is poised to dominate his division.

Dirk Piggler

I have tickets to the fight

Cresthog

Im going!!!

I went to Taylor Hopkins first fight..and it was great. I cant see Winky pulling this one out, JT has too much.

But folks lets not forget the Hopkins-Tarver fight this Saturday...should be a doosey

hawg23

DUBYACE ..jermaine will never go down in wieght...160 is too light for him really...he is 6-3..he will eventually be a super middle light heavy...
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

Bacon The Saddle Again

That's a misconception about Hopkins.  Hopkins is VERY good technically, fundamentally, whatever.  Winky is probably a little better defensively than Hopkins, but doesnt have near the offensive arsenal that Bernard does.  IMO, there isn't a more frustrating boxer as an opponent than Bernard Hopkins.

BPPig

All hats off to JT for taking on WW immediately after the Hopkins fights.

Winky didn't look so sharp in his last fight. That crazy Aussie kept throwing punches and Winky took more than a few. He won the fight easily but his face was puffy.

E. Steward is an offensive guru with a 19-2 record in Heavyweight championship fights. JT had gotten a little stale in that department. I think it will be a nice fit and 6 weeks is a lot of time for an athlete like JT. I bet his angles get better. I just hope his right hand holds up. This should be a great fight and I envy all that get to see that live. If he wins this fight he could go on a run that would have people talking about all time middle weights.

hogwild32

I believe Steward was also brought in to train JT on fighting a southpaw with the skill of Winky.  I believe it's going to be the same kind of fight that JT had against B-Hop (both times) with the same result.  I watched both of the JT v. B-Hop fights on HBO.  I dont think i can sit through another one like that.  Ill come to Hogville to see who won.

razorrichard

We'll have to do a Hogville get together before the fight. Any suggestions on Beale street?

foghornshog

I am coming with a group of 10 from Fayetteville.  Should be fun regardless.  The hard part for me is negotiating with the HBO guys to carry the fight since it is not pay per view.  I have had to go through more hoops to broadcast this fight than the pay per view events.....arrrgh.

werehog

Winky is much, much quicker than either Bernard Hopkins or Jermaine Taylor. His left handed style and hand speed are going to be a high mountain for JT to climb.

WILL CLINTON

June 07, 2006, 09:32:07 am #23 Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:34:05 am by dubyacee
Quote from: hawg23 on June 06, 2006, 06:38:44 pm
DUBYACE ..jermaine will never go down in wieght...160 is too light for him really...he is 6-3..he will eventually be a super middle light heavy...

You are probably right, but I think there are more "marquee" matchups than in a light heavy, or a supper middle class.  I mean Him vs. De La Hoya would be an AWESOME fight, I don't see him being as effective putting on weight.  I also dont think he is that tall, according to Boxrec.com, he is only 6'1". 
Quote from: Cresthog on June 06, 2006, 06:32:28 pm
Im going!!!

I went to Taylor Hopkins first fight..and it was great. I cant see Winky pulling this one out, JT has too much.

But folks lets not forget the Hopkins-Tarver fight this Saturday...should be a doosey

I think Hopkins will get dominated in this fight.  Antonio Tarver is one of the best, toughest fighters out there.  The man knocked out Roy Jones Jr. once, and got a decision the other time.  Tarver wins this one before the end of the 8th.  Hopefully then "b-hop" will retire, he is old and worthless.