Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop talking about Les Miles

Started by Memhogs, November 06, 2017, 11:11:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Memhogs

The man couldnt win consistently at LSU despite the fact that he had top 10 recruiting classes every year. Who cares if he went to the NC. His players should have made that easier for him. Lets get a real coach with a real record of winning with mediocre talent (i.e. Norvell, Fuente, etc.)
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

Ham Ham Pigelow

I'd say a 77% winning percentage and playing for 2 NCs is winning consistently.  I would just rather not be his final paycheck before heading to The Villages.  He would mail it in for sure.

Wooderson

Quote from: Memhogs on November 06, 2017, 11:11:29 pm
The man couldnt win consistently at LSU despite the fact that he had top 10 recruiting classes every year. Who cares if he went to the NC. His players should have made that easier for him. Lets get a real coach with a real record of winning with mediocre talent (i.e. Norvell, Fuente, etc.)

Are you serious?  Did you really just type this without truly thinking about it?  He would be the biggest guaranteed winner we could get.  All those years forming contacts with Louisiana high schools would be a huge boost for our program.  Everyone talks about recruiting Texas, but Louisiana is even more important.  Granted it would be a boring offense, but we would win.

Is he the one to take us to a NC?  Probably not, but we would win at a great clip.  However, going the up and  comer route is a toss up?  It may work, it may not.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 06:40:17 am
Are you serious?  Did you really just type this without truly thinking about it?  He would be the biggest guaranteed winner we could get.  All those years forming contacts with Louisiana high schools would be a huge boost for our program.  Everyone talks about recruiting Texas, but Louisiana is even more important.  Granted it would be a boring offense, but we would win.

Is he the one to take us to a NC?  Probably not, but we would win at a great clip.  However, going the up and  comer route is a toss up?  It may work, it may not.

I seriously have to wonder about those who advocate for Les Miles.   It's dumbfounding.

Wooderson

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 07, 2017, 06:42:06 am
I seriously have to wonder about those who advocate for Les Miles.   It's dumbfounding.

I'm not advocating for him, but he would not be a bad hire.  You may not like him, but he wins.  He wins at a greater clip than any coach we have had since Hatfield.  He is goofy and makes some mistakes, but in the end he wins.  With him we are a 8 win team every year with a chance at 10.  People were thrilled with that when we had Petrino.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 06:46:07 am
I'm not advocating for him, but he would not be a bad hire.  You may not like him, but he wins.  He wins at a greater clip than any coach we have had since Hatfield.  He is goofy and makes some mistakes, but in the end he wins.  With him we are a 8 win team every year with a chance at 10.  People were thrilled with that when we had Petrino.

He's proved NOTHING that he can win with less talent.  He proved he could be competitive with NFL players.   It's not that difficult to understand.  Les would have a Bielema type tenure

GoPigs69

I'm not advocating for him. Nor do I think he would be the best choice to replace Bielema.

However, do claim he did not win consistently at LSU is flat out wrong.

He was a winner.

Hoggie17

Quote from: GoPigs69 on November 07, 2017, 10:46:38 am
I'm not advocating for him. Nor do I think he would be the best choice to replace Bielema.

However, do claim he did not win consistently at LSU is flat out wrong.

He WAS a winner. He is too old.

hogsanity

OP is the typical message board hog fan. Miles is a no good hack, didn't win consistently at LSu ( only 77% of his games ) but Norvell is a sure bet to win here. Why does typical message board hog fan say these things? Because Les Miles was known for having a ground based offense, and Norvell throws 50 bubble screens a game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 12:04:54 pm
OP is the typical message board hog fan. Miles is a no good hack, didn't win consistently at LSu ( only 77% of his games ) but Norvell is a sure bet to win here. Why does typical message board hog fan say these things? Because Les Miles was known for having a ground based offense, and Norvell throws 50 bubble screens a game.

Youve obviously never watched a memphis game. Please watch them after their bye and count the amount of bubble screens they run. Then count the amount of vertical passes they throw in the game. 

Also les miles runs a power i but recruits dual threat qbs that are not pocket passers, and therefore do not fit his system. Im not sure miles actually knows what offense he wants to run. Look at his history of qb play and the types qbs they have. Thry are still suffering at lsu due to his lack of qb development.

Wildhog

Miles couldn't get the talent here that he had at LSU.  That and his age make him a no for me.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jim Harris

Didn't win consistently, or failed to be 'Bama since the 2011 BCS title game? He won 72 percent of his games all time, and at LSU he won 77 percent of his games. That's, again, SEVENTY-SEVEN PERCENT of his games. How many coaches in history have a better record than that?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ipigsooie

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 07, 2017, 12:30:30 pm
Didn't win consistently, or failed to be 'Bama since the 2011 BCS title game? He won 72 percent of his games all time, and at LSU he won 77 percent of his games. That's, again, SEVENTY-SEVEN PERCENT of his games. How many coaches in history have a better record than that?

Danny ford won 79% of his games and a national title.  Both were just looking for one more decent job to carry them to retirement.

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 07, 2017, 12:41:28 pm
Danny ford won 79% of his games and a national title.  Both were just looking for one more decent job to carry them to retirement.

That is a different argument than someone saying he could not win consistently at LSU.

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 07, 2017, 12:22:04 pm
Youve obviously never watched a memphis game. Please watch them after their bye and count the amount of bubble screens they run. Then count the amount of vertical passes they throw in the game. 

Also les miles runs a power i but recruits dual threat qbs that are not pocket passers, and therefore do not fit his system. Im not sure miles actually knows what offense he wants to run. Look at his history of qb play and the types qbs they have. Thry are still suffering at lsu due to his lack of qb development.

I've watched Memphis. My statement about bubble screens was hyperbole. My point was that people here want a passing offense, thus the lust for Leach and Norvell.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 01:10:09 pm
That is a different argument than someone saying he could not win consistently at LSU.

I've watched Memphis. My statement about bubble screens was hyperbole. My point was that people here want a passing offense, thus the lust for Leach and Norvell.

Gotcha. I agree. I want that as well but ill settle for something innovative. I dont think we win with a pro style offense at arkansas.

Calling All Hogs

All Miles agent has to do is draft an integrity praising love letter to Jeff Long and have Miles sign it. Our coaching search would be over. And yes, Miles would be a terrible choice.

clutch

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 07, 2017, 06:51:29 am
He's proved NOTHING that he can win with less talent.  He proved he could be competitive with NFL players.   It's not that difficult to understand.  Les would have a Bielema type tenure

I'm not big on Les coming here, but I wouldn't say he's proved nothing. He had a nice run for a sting from 2009-2013. Went 9-4, 11-2, 13-1, 10-3, 10-3. 2009 was his 5th year there. I chose to start from there because he was playing with his own players at that point and not Sabans. Everyone has always credited Saban for Les's first few years where he went 11-2, 11-2, 12-2 and wont a NC. He also had an 8-5 and a 9-4 year at OSU, where he turned around a team that had been pretty bad before he took over. They went 5-6, 5-6, 3-8 in the 3 years previous to his tenure and 4-7 his first year on the job.

He's not the greatest coach ever, but he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

The_Boot_stops_here

Apparently he as expressed interest in the Oregon St job.  He must really want to get back into coaching

Cylinder

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 12:28:20 pm
Miles couldn't get the talent here that he had at LSU.  That and his age make him a no for me.

10 years younger and the same history, I'd probably be hot on Lester.

My assessment is hiring Miles would be like burning the boats -- it's either going to be a glorious success or a spectacular failure.

Wildhog

Quote from: Cylinder on November 07, 2017, 02:00:02 pm
10 years younger and the same history, I'd probably be hot on Lester.

My assessment is hiring Miles would be like burning the boats -- it's either going to be a glorious success or a spectacular failure.

I think he'd be about what Bielema's been here.
1909/1964/1965/1977

zuko

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 07, 2017, 05:34:02 am
I'd say a 77% winning percentage and playing for 2 NCs is winning consistently.  I would just rather not be his final paycheck before heading to The Villages.  He would mail it in for sure.
Amen to that, something that BB hasn't been able to do. Too, Miles left Orgeron in pretty good shape with the team winning in spite of the coach.

Wooderson

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 02:10:26 pm
I think he'd be about what Bielema's been here.

There is no way that Miles would be like Bielema.  Miles would win more than Nutt did and Nutt won over 50% of his conference games.  I love how people love to think of LSU as a can't miss place.  They sure were awesome in the 90s with Dinardo. 

Fact is Miles won at Ok State and LSU at a nice clip.  He would do the same here, but he is not an exciting hire so fans would be disappointed.  I personally don't want him as the coach, but if he were to be hired it would be a vast improvement over what we have had the past 20 years.  Do I think he would win the SEC or a NC here?  No I don't, but I can say with great probability he would win over 50-60% of his conference games.  He is about the safest hire we could make, but with no chance of a high ceiling.  A Norvell hire is a risky hire, but with a chance of high ceiling. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 02:30:15 pm
There is no way that Miles would be like Bielema.  Miles would win more than Nutt did and Nutt won over 50% of his conference games.  I love how people love to think of LSU as a can't miss place.  They sure were awesome in the 90s with Dinardo. 

Fact is Miles won at Ok State and LSU at a nice clip.  He would do the same here, but he is not an exciting hire so fans would be disappointed.  I personally don't want him as the coach, but if he were to be hired it would be a vast improvement over what we have had the past 20 years.  Do I think he would win the SEC or a NC here?  No I don't, but I can say with great probability he would win over 50-60% of his conference games.  He is about the safest hire we could make, but with no chance of a high ceiling.  A Norvell hire is a risky hire, but with a chance of high ceiling. 

Look at what Bielema did at Wisconsin.  It's all about situation.  Miles would be terrible at Arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wooderson

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 02:32:43 pm
Look at what Bielema did at Wisconsin.  It's all about situation.  Miles would be terrible at Arkansas.

So are you saying that Nutt is a better coach than Miles?

HF#1

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 02:32:43 pm

Except Miles has won in the SEC. Everybody wants to look at coaches that have NEVER won in the league and if you suggest one they give a million reasons why it wouldn't work. Miles would have equal or more success than Nutt or Petrino.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 02:34:58 pm

I'm saying that Miles would be mediocre at best at Arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wooderson

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 02:39:39 pm
I'm saying that Miles would be mediocre at best at Arkansas.

Miles would do like I said 50-60% conference record which would be the best we ever have had in the SEC.  Just a reminder, we ARE mediocre in the SEC.  Always have been.  Norvell could propel us to levels we have never seen in the SEC, but then again he could also tank worse than Bret.  We don't know.  Hence my premise that Miles is the safe hire and Norvell is the high risk, possible high reward hire.

Wildhog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 07, 2017, 02:37:39 pm
Except Miles has won in the SEC. Everybody wants to look at coaches that have NEVER won in the league and if you suggest one they give a million reasons why it wouldn't work. Miles would have equal or more success than Nutt or Petrino.

He's never been able to develop a QB, and simply ran over folks with NFL running backs behind NFL offensive lines.  Same as what Bielema did at Wisconsin.  How's that working out for us now?

Miles wouldn't have the talent to field LSU-level defenses, either.  We'd be basically exactly what we are now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 02:42:46 pm
Miles would do like I said 50-60% conference record which would be the best we ever have had in the SEC.  Just a reminder, we ARE mediocre in the SEC.  Always have been.  Norvell could propel us to levels we have never seen in the SEC, but then again he could also tank worse than Bret.  We don't know.  Hence my premise that Miles is the safe hire and Norvell is the high risk, possible high reward hire.

I mean mediocre by Arkansas standards. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 12:28:20 pm
Miles couldn't get the talent here that he had at LSU. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Granted, he wouldn't pull in a butt load of 5 star players every year but with his connections in Louisiana, he would give Orgeron fits in recruiting there as well as in Mississippi, and Texas. He isn't in my top 5 but he wouldn't be a bad choice if he'd agree to hire an OC that runs a more wide open offense and is great at developing QBs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on November 07, 2017, 01:43:18 pm
I'm not big on Les coming here, but I wouldn't say he's proved nothing. He had a nice run for a sting from 2009-2013. Went 9-4, 11-2, 13-1, 10-3, 10-3. 2009 was his 5th year there. I chose to start from there because he was playing with his own players at that point and not Sabans. Everyone has always credited Saban for Les's first few years where he went 11-2, 11-2, 12-2 and wont a NC. He also had an 8-5 and a 9-4 year at OSU, where he turned around a team that had been pretty bad before he took over. They went 5-6, 5-6, 3-8 in the 3 years previous to his tenure and 4-7 his first year on the job.

He's not the greatest coach ever, but he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

Well, you took the first few words I said and made a response.  He had NFL players knocking on his door and he couldnt capitalize that!  He at one time had a couple NFL rb's and loaded NFL wr talent on the same team and couldn't move the ball. He's just not good enough, he also gets lost in the soled of the game which has been a knock on Bielema too.  I think they are very similar in my opinion.  One just reapped much. After recruiting grounds.

clutch

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 07, 2017, 07:10:04 pm
Well, you took the first few words I said and made a response.  He had NFL players knocking on his door and he couldnt capitalize that!  He at one time had a couple NFL rb's and loaded NFL wr talent on the same team and couldn't move the ball. He's just not good enough, he also gets lost in the soled of the game which has been a knock on Bielema too.  I think they are very similar in my opinion.  One just reapped much. After recruiting grounds.

He won at OSU, before OSU was a hot name. Do I think he'd be a good fit for Arkansas? No. I just think he deserves more respect than he gets. He had some bad offenses at LSU, but he had some of the best defenses ever assembled. A lot of people write him off as a terrible coach and that's just not the case. He isn't the greatest coach out there, but he's still a lot better than people gave him credit for. He found ways to win every year. It just wasn't flashy or pretty a lot of times, so people wrote him off as a bad coach. In the end, W's and L's are all that matters, and he had more W's than L's everywhere he ever coached. In 15 complete seasons as a head coach, he had 1 season where he had a losing record. His very first year after taking over a really bad OSU team. After that, he had one season where he won 7 games, 3 where he won 8, 3 where he won 9, and 7 where he won 10 or more. 5 of those 7 being more than 10. A terrible coach wouldn't put that many 10 win seasons together, even at LSU. It's hard to win 10 games no matter what your talent level is, especially when you are in the SEC West.

ipigsooie

Quote from: clutch on November 07, 2017, 08:21:13 pm
He won at OSU, before OSU was a hot name. Do I think he'd be a good fit for Arkansas? No. I just think he deserves more respect than he gets. He had some bad offenses at LSU, but he had some of the best defenses ever assembled. A lot of people write him off as a terrible coach and that's just not the case. He isn't the greatest coach out there, but he's still a lot better than people gave him credit for. He found ways to win every year. It just wasn't flashy or pretty a lot of times, so people wrote him off as a bad coach. In the end, W's and L's are all that matters, and he had more W's than L's everywhere he ever coached. In 15 complete seasons as a head coach, he had 1 season where he had a losing record. His very first year after taking over a really bad OSU team. After that, he had one season where he won 7 games, 3 where he won 8, 3 where he won 9, and 7 where he won 10 or more. 5 of those 7 being more than 10. A terrible coach wouldn't put that many 10 win seasons together, even at LSU. It's hard to win 10 games no matter what your talent level is, especially when you are in the SEC West.

I actually think this is a pretty accurate post as far as what we could expect from les  miles if he came to arkansas.  He finished with a .500 record in the big 12 and a 28-21 overall record. He never finished higher than 3rd in the big 12 south and won 1 bowl game, the Houston Bowl as he was 1-2 in bowl games. His best season he went 9-4 and lost in the cotton bowl.  His final season at osu before taking the Lsu job they went 7-5.  I actually think these would be pretty close to the numbers we could hope for with him as well. Is that good enough? Who knows but it's better than what we have had the past 6 years. I personally think we could do better.

colbs

I'm not saying I would want Les but I do think it's funny how so many want Gus and not too many want Les.  Les' resume > Gus' resume and I'm not sure it's close. 

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on November 07, 2017, 09:11:27 pm
I'm not saying I would want Les but I do think it's funny how so many want Gus and not too many want Les.  Les' resume > Gus' resume and I'm not sure it's close. 

Goes back to the garbage the fans spouted over 30 years ago about Hatfield. They think Gus is exciting and Les is boring. W's and L's come 2d to many hog fans, after their own idea of what is entertaining.

60 Minutes of Hell

You guys... If we don't hire Les, we might as well keep Bret. Our problem is recruiting, and Les can recruit Louisiana. Yes, even to Arkansas.
What a fool I used to be.

greasy_corner

Only a complete idiot would advocate for less...

Hawginj

Quote from: 60 Minutes of Hell on November 09, 2017, 06:29:20 pm
You guys... If we don't hire Les, we might as well keep Bret. Our problem is recruiting, and Les can recruit Louisiana. Yes, even to Arkansas.
Umm....lol

hamARchy in the USA

Miles is tired.  Best years are behind him.

However, it would be unlike Arkansas to hire a guy with only a couple of years as head coach behind him.

And Malzahn appears to be a better OC than a head coach.

My bet is the next head coach hasn't been mentioned on here.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 02:34:58 pm

I will say it....I believe he is....and I will tell you what else. Miles is a strange cat. Eats grass, goes on tangents that makes you feel like somebody slipped a little something in his drink.

Nutt was a rooting, tooting son of a gun. He was damn crazy. I called that play Chuck...haters from the north Chuck. Two chinstrap league Chuck. Hold on to the rope Chuck.....took dumps during interviews...flushed when confronted...once recoiled when he asked my name...as my family tree danced in his lil head... trying but never firing to put the puzzle together. Let Matt Jones alter ego run practice. Allowed Matt Jones to speak in the 3rd person to him....had a very dangerous man in Reggie Herring roaming the sidelines...ran the program like the mob.

Naw...if the choice was to come down to Leslie or Hootie...give me the Colonel....

He loved the helmet. Leslie just called us Ar---Kansas.

PRJ

Mr. Porkleone

114-34 at LSU

Your clueless. Thankful your not involved in hiring. Quit posting.

NuttinItUp

Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles. Les Miles.