Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the status of Arlando Cook?

Started by redleg, October 10, 2017, 02:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback1829

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 22, 2017, 12:03:15 pm
I'll defend Hawg Red here and yall know I'm as big of a CMA supporter as there is.  If we were looking down the barrel of a 16-16 season, I bet Mike removes Cook to make an example out of him.

I mean, he suspended Jacorrey for just about the same thing, however Jacorrey and cooks situations are a little different.

Whether it's the difference of the situations or the fact that CMA doesn't want to mess up a potentially historic season on a borderline removal from the program case,  we'll probably never know why he suspended Jacorrey and not Cook.

Like I said.. kid was in a no-win situation. The police caught the tail end. He's a good kid who has learned his lesson. Going to graduate and leave as Hog alumni. Glad CMA is the coach.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 12, 2017, 12:20:29 pm
I don't really care who started the fight. Cook was out there drunk, again, and got arrested. What am I missing?

The part where he is old enough to do so if he wants. You don't even have to be "drunk" to get public intox by the way. They don't breathalize for that.

If the fight doesn't happen none of the rest happens either, the public intox, the disorderly conduct, etc

This has not sounded like a big deal at all to this point. It could still turn out to be more but the folks acting like Cook was done were also claiming he cost us our chance at Embery because it happened on his visit.

Haters gonna hate.

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 22, 2017, 10:46:32 pm
The part where he is old enough to do so if he wants. You don't even have to be "drunk" to get public intox by the way. They don't breathalize for that.

If the fight doesn't happen none of the rest happens either, the public intox, the disorderly conduct, etc

This has not sounded like a big deal at all to this point. It could still turn out to be more but the folks acting like Cook was done were also claiming he cost us our chance at Embery because it happened on his visit.

Haters gonna hate.
If everyone remembers the police report was flaky at best. They came on the scene to see Cook beating an seemingly unconscious individual, yet the report ends with the so called victim not sustaining injuries. How is this even possible? Whatever happened we do know we can dismiss the police account of it.

MountieDawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 21, 2017, 08:49:32 pm
CMA said that, after more information came to light, he decided to allow Cook to come back to the team. He is still waiting for the legal case to be resolved before making a final decision.

CMA is making an informed decision and he has information you don't. Not sure why you are second guessing.

Sounds like something an Oklahoma football coach would say... But he did set his player out a year.
SEC!

hogwood

I'll defend Hawg Red here and yall know I'm as big of a CMA supporter as there is.  If we were looking down the barrel of a 16-16 season, I bet Mike removes Cook to make an example out of him.

I mean, he suspended Jacorrey for just about the same thing, however Jacorrey and cooks situations are a little different.

Whether it's the difference of the situations or the fact that CMA doesn't want to mess up a potentially historic season on a borderline removal from the program case,  we'll probably never know why he suspended Jacorrey and not Cook.

CMA is a moral man. I guarantee you if the situation warranted getting kicked off the team, Arlando would be gone. CMA would never sacrifice morals just because he wants a better record. Don't you think he would have liked to keep JaCorey after the fallout? Probably needed him then more than Cook this season. So to me it appears Arlando's situation is indeed different, as CMA's actions too are different thus far.

HoopS

Exactly.

Some simply just don't like or maybe don't trust Mike. I can't see why either would be true but it's evident it is.

gmarv

Quote from: hogwood on October 23, 2017, 06:20:42 am
CMA is a moral man. I guarantee you if the situation warranted getting kicked off the team, Arlando would be gone. CMA would never sacrifice morals just because he wants a better record. Don't you think he would have liked to keep JaCorey after the fallout? Probably needed him then more than Cook this season. So to me it appears Arlando's situation is indeed different, as CMA's actions too are different thus far.
I agree with this.Either you believe CMA will do what is right or you don,t  your choice.

HawgHeadCheese

If I remember correctly Jacorrey was in trouble earlier in the spring and then got in trouble for something very similar a month or so later. You can't have back to back situations like that. Last year Cook was arrested for being drunk and sleep in someone's car. Not too major and we still don't know the full details on this one but this was a full year later.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 22, 2017, 10:46:32 pm

Haters gonna hate.

I've never said it was a big deal. I just happen to be of the belief that once a player gets in trouble once, he should take that second chance to lock it down and make sure nothing happens again. It does not seem like Cook really took that to heart too much, even if the other guy started it. There are myriad ways to remove yourself from a situation like that that don't result in you pounding on a guy's face. I don't even think Cook is a bad kid. I don't know him, but it definitely seems like he does not make the best decisions and might not take the opportunity he has at Arkansas too seriously. I'd be done drinking and going out after the first public intox.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 23, 2017, 09:55:09 am
If I remember correctly Jacorrey was in trouble earlier in the spring and then got in trouble for something very similar a month or so later. You can't have back to back situations like that. Last year Cook was arrested for being drunk and sleep in someone's car. Not too major and we still don't know the full details on this one but this was a full year later.

Yes, JaCorey was wrapped up in the fake money thing and then got into physical altercations with his girlfriend and then a bouncer.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on October 23, 2017, 06:20:42 am

Of course both situations are different. You guys are acting like Mike is being attacked here because someone (who isn't the Arkansas head basketball coach) has an opinion that Cook already received a second chance and this should be it for him. Who knows what Mike's thought process is. I'm not privy too it. I thought it was odd that Madden was suspended annually and made it all 4 years. I thought it was odd that Qualls was only suspended one game for physically attacking a member of the staff. I thought he handled the fake bill thing appropriately, as well as JaCorey Williams. There are some mixed signals to me, and I don't think you could rule out impact on success as a factor in his decision-making. This guy's got a lot on the line. To me, he handled the most serious situation (JaCorey Williams) the right way and he removed a player that absolutely had to go. I don't think you could consider the impact on W/L record with JaCorey because he was going through the legal process on the fake money and then assaulting people. No brainer. I'll all for second chances in most cases, but after that? I don't really have much sympathy. That's just me.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 23, 2017, 10:12:42 am
Of course both situations are different. You guys are acting like Mike is being attacked here because someone (who isn't the Arkansas head basketball coach) has an opinion that Cook already received a second chance and this should be it for him. Who knows what Mike's thought process is. I'm not privy too it. I thought it was odd that Madden was suspended annually and made it all 4 years. I thought it was odd that Qualls was only suspended one game for physically attacking a member of the staff. I thought he handled the fake bill thing appropriately, as well as JaCorey Williams. There are some mixed signals to me, and I don't think you could rule out impact on success as a factor in his decision-making. This guy's got a lot on the line. To me, he handled the most serious situation (JaCorey Williams) the right way and he removed a player that absolutely had to go. I don't think you could consider the impact on W/L record with JaCorey because he was going through the legal process on the fake money and then assaulting people. No brainer. I'll all for second chances in most cases, but after that? I don't really have much sympathy. That's just me.
I would agree. However, I think this last situation has more into the details than we know. IF it comes out that Cook isn't going to be charged and he actually didn't start the fight and was only defending himself then it changes things a bit. Sure you could say he shouldn't have been in the situation to begin with, but every college age person goes out and has a good time. I'm not sure he gets the public intox if the fight doesn't happen. Some like to go ahead and render their verdict without knowing the whole story. I believe by CMA letting Cook practice tells me they feel that there was enough evidence to suggest that Cook wasn't just out there beating up on people and acting a fool for no reason.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 23, 2017, 10:12:42 am
I thought it was odd that Qualls was only suspended one game for physically attacking a member of the staff.

Who was the staff member?
Hogs up! Covid down!